Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

My understanding was that the staff was overconfident about their standing with him, then Leal bought into the SECSECSEC Kool-Aid.

On top of that, we had our weakest recruiter on him, while they had Brewster.

Jimbo decided to strike first with the OV, and closed, and that was that.

I've seen some people suggest that it was a crooked recruitment, but I haven't heard anything to support that, unlike the way that Marcus Banks' and Dylan Wright's recruitments turned on a dime.

Only thing I would change is that I think Leal was always SECSECSEC. I remember a bunch of tweets from him as a soph talking about wanting to play in the SEC. People thought that changed when he visited Texas a ton, but in hindsight it appears his visits were just a matter of proximity and mom liking UT. Jimbo closing so easily on Leal makes me doubtful we would've gotten him even with a better primary recruiter, but who knows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My understanding was that the staff was overconfident about their standing with him, then Leal bought into the SECSECSEC Kool-Aid.

On top of that, we had our weakest recruiter on him, while they had Brewster.

Jimbo decided to strike first with the OV, and closed, and that was that.

I've seen some people suggest that it was a crooked recruitment, but I haven't heard anything to support that, unlike the way that Marcus Banks' and Dylan Wright's recruitments turned on a dime.

I think the Texas recruiting messageboards underestimated his relationship with A&M too. Price had been recruiting him longer than anyone, and he visited several times his junior year. 

Additionally, A&M had the clean car smell, which every coach worth a shit milks in his first full recruiting class. 

• Like 1

Leal had aggy crystal ball picks in back when Rumlin was still coaching and they only changed to Texas briefly during the coaching change and when he visited a couple of times.  

I'd say it was SECSECSEC more than anything.  Dylan Wright and Andre White were the money bag recruitments.

Oh well, he can dwell in mediocrity at aggy and watch Texas play in championship games and NY6 Bowls going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Oh yeah I forgot the 2 Safety's, Demani and Williams.

to be fair bringing in the #19, #24 and #52 overall prospects (#1, #3 and #5 safeties) in the country in class of 2018 probably impacted that as well...

I mean last year's DB class had the national #19, 24, 47, 52, 64 and 115 prospects in it - all in the top 12 in the state also.

IIRC, Williams was the one that was screwy there, but still. 

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Oh yeah I forgot the 2 Safety's, Demani and Williams.

Williams was an Elko guy going all the way back to ND so elko coming to A&M was a major deal and  factoring all the DB we signed in the 2018 class it shouldn't be a surprise he chose A&M.

Edited by Not a Sock

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

to be fair bringing in the #19, #24 and #52 overall prospects (#1, #3 and #5 safeties) in the country in class of 2018 probably impacted that as well...

I mean last year's DB class had the national #19, 24, 47, 52, 64 and 115 prospects in it - all in the top 12 in the state also.

IIRC, Williams was the one that was screwy there, but still. 

Pretty sure that Richardson had an "uncle" involved

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

There's no need to feel down.

Pick yourself off the ground.

'Cause you're in a new town.

There's no need to be unhappy.

There's a place you can go

When you're short on your dough, you can stay there, and I'm sure you will find many ways to have a good time

It's fun to stay at the YMCA
It's fun to stay at the YMCA

I like this. Are you the Indian, er, Native American or the Police Officer?. 

Geez. Start a bunch of freshman, you're screwed on the field. Redshirt a bunch of freshman, they start thinking about transfering.

Don’t forget these kids were recruited at a time when we were starting a bunch of freshmen. Lot of them came in with the belief they would see early playing time. Great for us that we are able to redshirt more, but I can understand why some players would be less than gruntled.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Look, if you want to spend time on this thread you need to memorize all of the commits, their Twitter handles, their mom’s twitter handles, their Instagram and Snapchat handles, the names of their coaches, the names of their best friends, and whether they have girlfriends or not. Just don’t be obsessed with them. That’s creepy.

It’s a start. But there’s also personal trainers, 7 on 7 team and coach and teammates. 

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Geez. Start a bunch of freshman, you're screwed on the field. Redshirt a bunch of freshman, they start thinking about transfering.

I suspect Adeoye's thoughts are a little more tactical. He doesn't profile much as a Big 12 LB, unless he does a lot more work on the speed/agility side of things.

35 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

DE Andrew Fitzgerald, who had a Strong scholarship but gave up football early in Herman's tenure after getting passed up on the depth chart. 

uh, I have it on good authority that fitzgerald was a j.j. watt starter kit.  in fact I paid $9.95 for that information.  any of his shortcomings on the football field can be laid at the feet of an incompetent coaching staff that failed to properly develop him. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Probably arky.

Also @Spider2YBanana, Dylan Wright is very good at football and there's plenty of scope for WRs to be primadonnas, I seriously doubt that.

We shall see. He looked pretty average at the all star game whenever the ball was thrown his way. If I'm wrong I'll be glad to eat crow 

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Look, if you want to spend time on this thread you need to memorize all of the commits, their Twitter handles, their mom’s twitter handles, their Instagram and Snapchat handles, the names of their coaches, the names of their best friends, and whether they have girlfriends or not. Just don’t be obsessed with them. That’s creepy.

What if I say I’ve just come over from the Football board?

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Putting out this kind of tweet right after your TCU official has never been good news for us. TCU won't get him, but you can make damn sure Patterson spent the entire weekend bad mouthing Texas. Most likely Arky. 

Maybe he’s visited everyone he wants and will be committing on the 18th...

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Putting out this kind of tweet right after your TCU official has never been good news for us. TCU won't get him, but you can make damn sure Patterson spent the entire weekend bad mouthing Texas. Most likely Arky. 

Saarloos did more damage than FatGare from what I've gathered. I thought it would be Arky but the timing does speak more to TCU... 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

If it's not Texas, then hopefully it's Arkansas, so those Walmart meth heads can actually beat A&M every once in awhile going forward 

And more importantly so we don't have to deal with him at TCU. Catalon is good and I don't want to have to face a well-coached Catalon for three years.