Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if any issues for Houston qualifying at Texas?? ... Hate that BlowU probably the benefactor of this decommit and that he's a blazer......

Would help if LJH and/or CJ are returning for 2019 Horns FB Season

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last Week's IT write-up mentions this:

I caught up with a source on Texas wide receiver commit Demariyon Houston. He says OU hasn't been in contact with Houston and that Houston still plans on signing in February. In February? "That's always been his plan." We'll see if the staff asks him to sign early or not. (9.95 failure)

There is some 'save the ship' potential to finish this cycle to the benefit of the next one.

Herman mentioned what we've been saying for a while now; a Big 12 Championship doesn't do much for 2019 but helps a lot with the class of 2020. Go get that win, fellas.

Wells posted #SaveTheShip in the decommit thread over at IT just for what it is worth

51 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Urbs just announced he’s retiring after Rose Bowl. 

Day is replacing. Any OSU recruits to go for? 

did another health issue conveniently pop up?

edit: yes per Pete Thamel's SI article

Part of the reasoning for Meyer stepping down stemmed from his health. He’s endured painful and aggressive headaches as a result of a congenital arachnoid cyst in his brain. He had brain surgery in 2014 to help relieve the pain, but it had returned in spurts the past two seasons and, at times, limited him from performing the job with the required intensity.

The image of Meyer dropped to a knee and hunched over in pain has resonated as one of the dominant images in college football this season. Doctors had begun to caution Meyer about long-term risks.

Edited by NoName

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Wells posted #SaveTheShip in the decommit thread over at IT just for what it is worth

That's his opinion, it's not info or anything. I tend to share it, if we miss on Bru and Higgins, instead of going after Lewis, Anderson, Ellis, etc. 

Dixon and Mookie are likely in the 2020 class, Dixon as an inside/outside guy like Moore and Whittington, and Mookie as a Jake Smith slot/gadget back type, and then try and land at least two outside guys out of Demas, Omeire, Johnston, Loic, and whoever else materializes 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Take one fewer player this cycle and save the spot for the loaded 2020 in-state class.

What is projected Number of slots available in the 2020 TEXAS Recruiting Class??

(Probably less spots available than 2019 Class??)

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

SIAPGreg Biggins at 247 had a little note on Bru and said Mehringers in-home visit with him was a home run and that Mccoys interest is still extremely high. Mehringer will be back with Herman next Tuesday.

Wow. A home run. You almost never hear that. Maybe he'll get the rare "he was blown away during his home run official visit."

I wish these guys would think a little about writing since that is a big part of their job. You can't tell much when they use the same descriptors (superlatives) for every fucking thing.

Glad to hear the visit went well.

• Like 3

On the best-case scenario that both CJ and LJ come back, is this what our WR depth chart looks like for next season?

Duvernay                   -    Humphrey                                                     Johnson
Burt                              -   Moore                                                              Eagles
Woodard                    -   Smith                                                               Epps
Washington              - Whittington                                                     Pouncey

Hopefully we can add one of McCoy/Higgins and Powell sticks on offense. Looks promising, but young, and we need at least one of our bigs to come back. Really excited to see Eagles get more opportunities next season.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

29 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I don't really care that much losing Houston since he seemed a little redundant with what we got in our freshman and incoming class. But god dammit, we need to have at least one elite big WR coming in next season. Please give us that last present Coach Bro by leaving USC with a crappy OC.

He was not redundant with anyone in either the 2018 or 2019 class. We have no one with his top-end speed. That is why this sucks. 

10 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

OB on Houston 

Hide contents

Nothing to spill. I'm just saying he didn't decommit because he has some intention to flip to OU. Like I said, I think this was a mutual parting of ways. He wanted to take some visits, Texas said fine but that means he's not committed ... they basically shook hands and went their separate directions.

Yeah, no... I know I should consider the source, but this directly contradicts what's been said and done as a recruiting approach. I can't remember one recruit where if they wanted to visit elsewhere, their offer gets pulled. 

IT Tuesday Notes:

Spoiler

BY: Eric and Justin

TEAM

Caden Sterns: Good news, we hear the safety only suffered a deep bone bruise. It's painful, but he's been walking around fine and will be good go to go for the bowl game.

Big 12 Championship Loss: The team took it tough. Lots of players blaming themselves. One thing I’ve noticed about this team, the players blame themselves while not fingerpointing at each other. Lots of frustration. One source, "we gave it away." The coaches told the players the loss is supposed to hurt, they'll get things right, and they'll be back.

Playing Georgia in the Sugar Bowl: The coaches and players haven't really prepped much yet, but there's a lot of excitement for the game. People I've talked to think it sets up well for Texas. One joked, at least partially, "the game may come down who doesn't go out on New Years Eve." We will cover this match-up much more thoroughly in the coming weeks.

Team Schedule: The team had Sunday off but was back in the weight room today. As is his custom, Yancy McKnight welcomed them back to the grind with very intense sessions. The team will work out on Wednesday and Friday and practice on Friday and Saturday in front of the official visitors. Next week they'll have three practices, five the following week, then four days off before departing for New Orleans on the 27th.

I asked some questions pertaining to a few discussions on the board:

Who plays nickel next year? "Josh Thompson. They'll get him ready this spring. I'm beginning to think he's the fastest player on the team. Either him or John Burt. Dude can run." I agree, and Josh will make the jump Deshon Elliott and Brandon Jones made in their third year.

I followed that up by asking about BJ Foster at nickel, even though I know the answer. "He doesn't have the cover skills for it. The run support, of course, but he'd be a liability in the passing game." No harm in that, he's a safety. He's not a nickel, he's not a linebacker, he's a safety.

What does Malcolm Epps' future look like? "I like him. I think there's some real upside. He's carrying his current weight (probably 225) really well. I'd leave him at receiver and get him ready to for after Collin. He uses his height well; Mosses guys in practice." Epps suffered a broken collarbone recently due to at least the third boneheaded action of the season by a defensive player.

What about Brennan Eagles? "Brennan will be solid, not elite, but solid. They need to get him more flexible. Tight hips, tight hamstrings. Getting his body right is the #1 issue."

I mentioned Marcus Washington is going to play a ton once Collin leaves. "We'll see, it's a tough offense to learn."

Josh Moore? "Josh is going to be great. He can run by anybody. Not a skilled route runner but like Hollywood Brown he'll just run right past you." I said he should move to Z and the source agreed. “Yeah, you can move him around.”

Lil'Jordan Humphrey staying or going pro? "He's talking about staying but it's undecided. He just wants to be shot straight by the staff and by those giving him his grade. He's a smart kid and sees through bull****. If he feels like he's being mislead it'll piss him off." I told my source that it's conceivable grades will be all over the map on him. He's obviously a good NFL talent but he's really raw as a route runner. So the staff telling him he should stay is a fair, honest assessment, unless he gets a first round grade.

Collin Johnson and Brandon Jones are staying, right? "Yes, I believe so. Collin loves Texas and wants to finish what he started. Jones will stay. Missing those three games didn't help."

DEMARIYON HOUSTON DE-COMMITS

The staff won't get in a rush to add a replacement receiver to the class. Houston de-committing won't motivate the coaches to pursue guys like Kennedy Lewis or Jaylen Ellis, at least not yet. Numbers are low so it might not be a #savetheship moment, but they're going to stand pat for now.

We'll probably go into greater detail on this recruitment in the year-end review, but the staff not rushing to fill the position should tell you something regarding this recruitment: they didn't really fight hard for it.

JAY WILLIAMS

On Monday, Herb Hand went out to Southern California to check in on Jay Williams, a 6-foot-6, 290 pound tackle at Grossmont College.

Texas is still trying to get Myron Cunningham to visit but is setting up contingencies in the meantime. Williams has two years to play two, and originally signed with San Diego State.

Hand told Williams he was going to talk to Coach Herman and he would be back in touch soon. The clock is ticking for Williams.

"I’m going to Florida State on the 14th then I haven’t decided where I’ll be at this weekend and will be doing a mid week as well."

Currently, Indiana is his best offer but as I've always asserted, bigs are at a premium late in cycles. Hence the interest from Florida State and Texas. Well, FSU's offensive line looks like UT's in 2014 so they’re definitely going to be looking everywhere.

I'll get back in touch with him to see if he's heard back from Hand.

TUNMISE ADELEYE

"UT has had a great season man, contending in a Big 12 championship in only the second year of coach Herman’s tenure there is big. Especially from a recruiting standpoint and if they could pull off a win against Georgia it would be huge for me and would prove that Texas can stack up against SEC teams especially against one of high caliber like Georgia."

Adeleye, a 2021 defensive lineman from Katy Tompkins, is what the recruiting networks tried to tell you Marcus Stripling was. At 6-foot-3, 260 pounds, he plays defensive end in high school but will almost certainly grow into an interior player. I saw him versus Seven Lakes and loved his movement skills and motor.

With him already holding a Texas offer, you can tell how the staff feels about him. Texas looks really good early, but national powers are hard-charging. Adeleye had this to say about schools that have his attention besides UT, "LSU now that they’ve offered, definitely Alabama as well and Ohio State and Oklahoma even though they haven’t offered yet." Speak of the devil, OU offered on Monday.

Texas needs to kill offensive and defensive line recruiting in the next two cycles. The staff can load up in a way that competes with the Alabamas and Clemsons. They have to land guys like this.

SA'VELL SMALLS

Kelee Ringo isn't the only nationally elite 2020 player who has paid attention to UT this season. Smalls is about as good of a prospect as you will find. Hailing from Garfield high school in Seattle, he's going to be a tough pull, but Texas will at least get him in for a visit.

What has caught his attention about UT? “Just how fast Coach Herman has turned the program around.”

“It’s Year Two and to turn it around that fast, that’s impressive.” Those previous lows were low enough to make this season look like a big rebound.

Smalls has visited Oregon as well as Washington numerous times. Along with Texas, he wants to visit Notre Dame, Ohio State, and maybe Penn State.

When he does visit, Texas will need positive responses to these questions: “Definitely the vibe of the coaches and the team, how I fit in with the people in general, not just the players, but the people in the program. Can I live there? Am I going to get a good education? Am I going to develop as a player and a person? That’s really big for me.”

(Christian McCollum of Irish Sports Daily helped with the Smalls section)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah, no... I know I should consider the source, but this directly contradicts what's been said and done as a recruiting approach. I can't remember one recruit where if they wanted to visit elsewhere, their offer gets pulled. 

FUPM pulled a few offers when guys decided to look around. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Or at least told them their spot is open.