2019 Spring Game: April 13, 6:30 PM

Machinator

That spring game was not good. 

Everything looked flat and discombobulated. To be fair, it probably had something to do with Tom Herman not calling the plays. I wish I was joking. 

Ingram barely played, but Whittington looked legit. Casey Thompson had moments but needs to work on his accuracy. His legs will do wonders though. 

Wiley has the prototype size, but looked like shit, blocking and catching. Leiteo was 3rd string so he must suck. 

Epps starting playing better in the 2nd half. He’s going to be a load for smaller DBs. 

DL looked better, especially the DEs. Overall, Graham, Koburn, Wilson, Ossai, all looked very good. DBs were great. 

• Like 6

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Everything looked flat and discombobulated. To be fair, it probably had something to do with Tom Herman not calling the plays. I wish I was joking. 

Ingram barely played, but Whittington looked legit. Casey Thompson had moments but needs to work on his accuracy. His legs will do wonders though. 

Wiley has the prototype size, but looked like shit, blocking and catching. Leiteo was 3rd string so he must suck. 

Epps starting playing better in the 2nd half. He’s going to be a load for smaller DBs. 

DL looked better, especially the DEs. Overall, Graham, Koburn, Wilson, Ossai, all looked very good. DBs were great. 

giphy.gif

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shark looks slimmed down. He missed a tackle, but stuff happens.

No idea what Yancy's plan was last season. Shark was WAY too heavy least season. That lumbering return against Kansas was strange. 

Shark was bulking up to play closer to the line, i thought..

1 hour ago, Majorcholas said:

I’m in the fetal position in my closet repeating to myself “it’s because the wind, it’s because the wind”

i chugged the koolaid hard this 995 offseason. This is disappointing 

That's like drinking a gallon of milk before running a 5K.

It's a Spring Game, it doesn't mean a lot except for depth chart competition.

Haven't watched yet, but it sounds pure vanilla. I'm sure aggy and Looch will be telling LSU all about how terrible we are and how much of a cupcake we'll be. Hopefully they believe it. I never take the offense seriously when the dual-threat QB is limited to just passing.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Haven't watched yet, but it sounds pure vanilla. 

It was vanilla but that doesn't explain Sam being drunk and our O-line getting pushed around by our allegedly weak D-line.

I'm not wringing my hands over it, I agree, it's just a spring game and I know what this offense can do, but holy shit they looked like shit.

Epps is a large man.  If he can clear against legit defenses and catch the ball, look out.

Whittington looks to be what he was hyped up to be.

Jalen Green and Chris Brown -- I'm liking the aggressiveness.

I think Todd Orlando looks to be whipping up another defense tuned to his personnel, which is such a breath of fresh air I am giddy.  I think the O will also be fine, because they were fine last year and basically traded talent for talent (and without much turnover).  I'll look forward to getting the GaTech guy in house, too.

Onward . . . let the Aggies crow and the 9.95ers weep.  I care about neither.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Random thoughts...

- Shark and Ossai had great coverage on some of the RB wheel routes.  McColloch looks so much smoother, faster, quicker now that he's lost some wieght.  He's going to ball out against LSU.

- Jalen Green, Foster, Brown all played very well.  I know Epps had some catches on Green but he was blanketing him and also made some plays.  Foster always plays the ball very well.  I've seen him get beat in a few games and he'll read the WR and get his hands in the way to break up the pass.  Brown is going to play.  He would be starting at some very good P5 schools.  Jones, Sterns, Foster, Brown, Overshown, Estell might be the best safety room in the country.

-  DL looked damn good.  Not worried about them.  I think they will be noticeably better than last years squad.  Coburn beasted through a double team to cause a sack.  Ossai looked very good.  He needs to be on the LOS  90% of snaps.

-  First team OL looked okay.  When Braun arrives, I expect them to be much better.  Ghirmai will not be our back up center.  Seems like they are grooming him but he's 2 years away.  I'd expect Braun or Kerstetter to take over Center if Shack gets injured.

- TEs looked like pure trash.  Brewer needs to get much better and not get injured because there is nothing behind him.  Wiley looks like a future NFL TE physically but I'm not sure he'd even start there at some good 5A high schools.  He's a long term project.

-  RBs looked explosive.  Whittington is going to be fucking good.  We've seen what Keontay can do.  Hope Kirko isn't injured.  I just want that guy to play a few games so he can leave Texas on a positive note.   

-  Sam looked terrible but we know what he can do.  He plays better when he can lower his pads and actually hit.  Casey will do fine as a back up.  The 2nd team was trash and he still made plays.  He's not going to win us games against ou, lsu, osu, etc but we can win one with him against the likes of Baylor, Kansas, Kstate, tech.

-  Dicker looked good.  So nice to have a kicker that can make  40+ yard FGs

Those don't seem very random cut pos rep.  

(Chip Brown) Good, Bad, Ugly from Orange-White Spring Game

AUSTIN, Texas — First goal of a spring game is come out of it healthy. Not counting all the guys who were banged up before the spring game, it appears Texas came out of this one OK. Second goal for a spring game is to see some playmakers make plays. I’ll tell you who stood out to me: Jeffrey McCulloch of the White (first-team defense), who had a an interception and 32-yard return that helped set up a touchdown as well as a pass breakup on deep coverage against running back Keaontay Ingram; redshirt freshman cornerback Jalen Green; and Joseph Ossai (who had a sack).

On the Orange (first-team offense), Jordan Whittington (12 carries for 62 yards, 5.2 ypc, and four catches for 27 yards), Malcolm Epps (five catches for 38 yards); and Devin Duvernay looked as fast and sure-handed as ever on his lone reception for 20 yards in which he shrugged off a tackle attempt by D'Shawn Jamison.

And Casey Thompson, despite one early interception that appeared to be tipped at the line of scrimmage, made some nice plays with his legs, leading the White offense in rushing with 11 carries for 47 yards (4.3 ypc) and a 1-yard touchdown run as his White team beat the Orange 12-6. There was plenty of forgettable stuff, too, like about a half-dozen or more drops in the first half alone and some ragged play in the passing game from quarterback Sam Ehlinger and Thompson. Neither Ehlinger (9 of 21 passing for 66 yards and one interception), nor Thompson (9 of 23 passing for 48 yards and one interception) are going to look back at this spring game favorably. (Although, Thompson was 5-of-8 passing for 35 yards for the White offense in the second half.)

So, let’s get on with the Good, Bad & Ugly from Saturday’s Orange-White Spring Game …

THE GOOD

Nice defense by Jalen Green of the White on a pass intended for Malcolm Epps near the sideline on fourth-and-4 inside the White 20. Epps caught the ball out of bounds. The Orange (first-team offense) offensive line in the fourth quarter was: Denzel Okafor at left tackle, Tope Imade at left guard, Derek Kerstetter at center, Junior Angilau at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle.

On second-and-11 late in the third quarter, Casey Thompson found Jordan Whittington for a 16-yard catch-and-run by the Orange offense, followed by a 19-yard run by Whittington to the White 26. That run gave Whittington 60 yards rushing on 11 carries (5.5 ypc) heading into the fourth quarter. DeMarvion Overshown dropped Casey Thompson for a 1-yard loss on second-and-8 with just less than five minutes left in the third quarter.

On third-and-7 early in the third quarter, Ehlinger found Malcolm Epps for a 25-yard gain over the middle. On third-and-8, Casey Thompson found Jordan Pouncey for a 15-yard gain in the final minute of the first half.

Kirk Johnson broke through the line for 2 yards and a first down on third-and-1 for the White offense in the final minute of the first half. Cameron Dicker boomed a 52-yard field goal for the Orange with 1:30 left in the first half, cutting the White lead to 12-6.

Joseph Ossai had stride-for-stride coverage of Jordan Whittington down the left sideline into the end zone late in the second quarter. Whittington got away with a little push-off against Ossai but couldn’t come down with the pass from Ehlinger. On third-and-10 late in the second quarter, Ehlinger scrambled for 12 yards and a first down.

Ayodele Adeoye got a hand on a pass from Ehlinger to Joshua Moore, breaking it up, late in the second quarter. McCulloch came up with his second big play of the first half for the White defense, breaking up a deep ball from Ehlinger to Keaontay Ingram with 5:26 left in the second quarter. Ehlinger found Devin Duvernay on a crossing route on third-and-8, bounced off an attempted tackle by D'Shawn Jamison and ran down the left sideline for 20 yards midway through the second quarter.

Cameron Dicker booted a 36-yard field goal (with the wind), increasing the White’s lead to 12-3 with 8:47 left in the second quarter.

Jeffrey McCulloch came up with the first turnover forced by the White defense (and second interception of the game ), this one an ill-advised throw by Sam Ehlinger that McCulloch returned 32 yards to the Orange 1, setting up a TD for the White.

Bru McCoy caught his first pass on a flair from Sam Ehlinger for four yards with just under five minutes left in the first quarter, drawing chants of “BRUUUUUUUUU!!”

Casey Thompson to Al'Vonte Woodardfor a first down for the White offense on third down, followed by a nice scramble by Thompson.

Cornerback Kobe Boyce forced the first turnover of the spring game with an interception (plus 7-yard return) of a Casey Thompson pass tipped at the line by freshman defensive end Peter Mpagi.

Denzel Okafor played right tackle and Derek Kerstetter played right guard on the first series for the Orange (first-team offense). On the second series, Kerstetter played right tackle and Okafor played right guard.

The Orange went into the scrimmage with a 3-2 lead after winning the most one-on-one battles in the circle drill. Montrell Estell (Orange) defeated Al'Vonte Woodard; Reese Moore(White) defeated Jacoby Jones; Malcolm Epps (Orange) defeated B.J. Foster; Keondre Coburn (White) defeated Junior Angilau; and Denzel Okafor (Orange) defeated Moro Ojomo.

THE BAD

Chris Naggar missed a 38-yard field goal wide left for the Orange with 6:00 left in the third quarter, failing to cut into the White’s 12-6 lead. Joseph Ossai ran off the field with 8:30 left in the third quarter holding his right hand, but he returned to the game a couple plays later. Cameron Dicker’s first miss of the night (after hitting from 36 and 52 yards) came up about 8 yards short from 60 yards into a swirling wind right before halftime.

Thompson barely missed Bru McCoy for a touchdown in the final seconds of the second quarter. McCoy got one hand on the slightly overthrown ball. Ehlinger and tight end Cade Brewer couldn’t connect on a screen pass late in the second quarter. Whittington couldn’t hang on to a screen pass from Ehlinger midway through the second quarter. (But Ehlinger went right back to him on the next play for a 3-yard gain.)

Woodard got behind Kobe Boyce in the end zone, but Casey Thompson’s 19-yard pass on third-and-7 was slightly overthrown, resulting in a 36-yard field goal by Cameron Dicker, increasing the White’s lead to 12-3 with 8:47 left in the second quarter. Early enrollee freshman Jared Wiley suffered his second drop of the game on third-and-2 with less than a minute left in the first quarter on a perfectly thrown pass in the flat from Casey Thompson.

Ehlinger made an ill-advised throw to Whittington in the flat, and Jalen Green crushed Whittington, breaking up the pass. On the next play, Ehlinger was sacked by Joseph Ossai. Rafiti Ghirmai, who has struggled with bouncing snaps throughout the spring, bounced one back to Casey Thompsonon fourth-and-goal from the 1 late in the first quarter. (Fortunately, Thompson scooped it and scored it anyway.)

On second-and-6 from the Orange 24, Ehlinger had time to throw the ball and lofted a pass to a well-covered Keaontay Ingram and McCulloch easily picked off the pass and returned it 32 yards to the Orange 1. On the Orange (first-team offense’s) second series, Sam Ehlinger scrambled backward and then stepped out of bounds before throwing the ball away, taking a 12-yard loss. Then, it took a nice pass breakup by Cade Brewer to keep B.J. Foster from intercepting Ehlinger on the next play. With no rush, Ryan Bujcevski rugby punted, with the wind from the White 41, but still couldn’t boot it inside the opposing 20 (the ball carried 39 yards and was fair caught at the Orange 20).

THE UGLY

The 20-plus mile-per-hour winds throughout the game and all the first-half dropped passes.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

Spring game thoughts:
Glad I took a hoodie. It was cold af.

Vanilla offense makes a boring game. Don’t read anything into it.

Green will light you up. Our secondary is going to fucking terrify OCs.

Whittington is going to be fun to watch.

Casey should be fine if we need him.

Further, Green and the defense will not face any vanilla offenses like the Spring game other than LSU, so don't read too much into the defensive performance.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(Chip Brown) Good, Bad, Ugly from Orange-White Spring Game

Reveal hidden contents

AUSTIN, Texas — First goal of a spring game is come out of it healthy. Not counting all the guys who were banged up before the spring game, it appears Texas came out of this one OK. Second goal for a spring game is to see some playmakers make plays. I’ll tell you who stood out to me: Jeffrey McCulloch of the White (first-team defense), who had a an interception and 32-yard return that helped set up a touchdown as well as a pass breakup on deep coverage against running back Keaontay Ingram; redshirt freshman cornerback Jalen Green; and Joseph Ossai (who had a sack).

On the Orange (first-team offense), Jordan Whittington (12 carries for 62 yards, 5.2 ypc, and four catches for 27 yards), Malcolm Epps (five catches for 38 yards); and Devin Duvernay looked as fast and sure-handed as ever on his lone reception for 20 yards in which he shrugged off a tackle attempt by D'Shawn Jamison.

And Casey Thompson, despite one early interception that appeared to be tipped at the line of scrimmage, made some nice plays with his legs, leading the White offense in rushing with 11 carries for 47 yards (4.3 ypc) and a 1-yard touchdown run as his White team beat the Orange 12-6. There was plenty of forgettable stuff, too, like about a half-dozen or more drops in the first half alone and some ragged play in the passing game from quarterback Sam Ehlinger and Thompson. Neither Ehlinger (9 of 21 passing for 66 yards and one interception), nor Thompson (9 of 23 passing for 48 yards and one interception) are going to look back at this spring game favorably. (Although, Thompson was 5-of-8 passing for 35 yards for the White offense in the second half.)

So, let’s get on with the Good, Bad & Ugly from Saturday’s Orange-White Spring Game …

THE GOOD

Nice defense by Jalen Green of the White on a pass intended for Malcolm Epps near the sideline on fourth-and-4 inside the White 20. Epps caught the ball out of bounds. The Orange (first-team offense) offensive line in the fourth quarter was: Denzel Okafor at left tackle, Tope Imade at left guard, Derek Kerstetter at center, Junior Angilau at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle.

On second-and-11 late in the third quarter, Casey Thompson found Jordan Whittington for a 16-yard catch-and-run by the Orange offense, followed by a 19-yard run by Whittington to the White 26. That run gave Whittington 60 yards rushing on 11 carries (5.5 ypc) heading into the fourth quarter. DeMarvion Overshown dropped Casey Thompson for a 1-yard loss on second-and-8 with just less than five minutes left in the third quarter.

On third-and-7 early in the third quarter, Ehlinger found Malcolm Epps for a 25-yard gain over the middle. On third-and-8, Casey Thompson found Jordan Pouncey for a 15-yard gain in the final minute of the first half.

Kirk Johnson broke through the line for 2 yards and a first down on third-and-1 for the White offense in the final minute of the first half. Cameron Dicker boomed a 52-yard field goal for the Orange with 1:30 left in the first half, cutting the White lead to 12-6.

Joseph Ossai had stride-for-stride coverage of Jordan Whittington down the left sideline into the end zone late in the second quarter. Whittington got away with a little push-off against Ossai but couldn’t come down with the pass from Ehlinger. On third-and-10 late in the second quarter, Ehlinger scrambled for 12 yards and a first down.

Ayodele Adeoye got a hand on a pass from Ehlinger to Joshua Moore, breaking it up, late in the second quarter. McCulloch came up with his second big play of the first half for the White defense, breaking up a deep ball from Ehlinger to Keaontay Ingram with 5:26 left in the second quarter. Ehlinger found Devin Duvernay on a crossing route on third-and-8, bounced off an attempted tackle by D'Shawn Jamison and ran down the left sideline for 20 yards midway through the second quarter.

Cameron Dicker booted a 36-yard field goal (with the wind), increasing the White’s lead to 12-3 with 8:47 left in the second quarter.

Jeffrey McCulloch came up with the first turnover forced by the White defense (and second interception of the game ), this one an ill-advised throw by Sam Ehlinger that McCulloch returned 32 yards to the Orange 1, setting up a TD for the White.

Bru McCoy caught his first pass on a flair from Sam Ehlinger for four yards with just under five minutes left in the first quarter, drawing chants of “BRUUUUUUUUU!!”

Casey Thompson to Al'Vonte Woodardfor a first down for the White offense on third down, followed by a nice scramble by Thompson.

Cornerback Kobe Boyce forced the first turnover of the spring game with an interception (plus 7-yard return) of a Casey Thompson pass tipped at the line by freshman defensive end Peter Mpagi.

Denzel Okafor played right tackle and Derek Kerstetter played right guard on the first series for the Orange (first-team offense). On the second series, Kerstetter played right tackle and Okafor played right guard.

The Orange went into the scrimmage with a 3-2 lead after winning the most one-on-one battles in the circle drill. Montrell Estell (Orange) defeated Al'Vonte Woodard; Reese Moore(White) defeated Jacoby Jones; Malcolm Epps (Orange) defeated B.J. Foster; Keondre Coburn (White) defeated Junior Angilau; and Denzel Okafor (Orange) defeated Moro Ojomo.

THE BAD

Chris Naggar missed a 38-yard field goal wide left for the Orange with 6:00 left in the third quarter, failing to cut into the White’s 12-6 lead. Joseph Ossai ran off the field with 8:30 left in the third quarter holding his right hand, but he returned to the game a couple plays later. Cameron Dicker’s first miss of the night (after hitting from 36 and 52 yards) came up about 8 yards short from 60 yards into a swirling wind right before halftime.

Thompson barely missed Bru McCoy for a touchdown in the final seconds of the second quarter. McCoy got one hand on the slightly overthrown ball. Ehlinger and tight end Cade Brewer couldn’t connect on a screen pass late in the second quarter. Whittington couldn’t hang on to a screen pass from Ehlinger midway through the second quarter. (But Ehlinger went right back to him on the next play for a 3-yard gain.)

Woodard got behind Kobe Boyce in the end zone, but Casey Thompson’s 19-yard pass on third-and-7 was slightly overthrown, resulting in a 36-yard field goal by Cameron Dicker, increasing the White’s lead to 12-3 with 8:47 left in the second quarter. Early enrollee freshman Jared Wiley suffered his second drop of the game on third-and-2 with less than a minute left in the first quarter on a perfectly thrown pass in the flat from Casey Thompson.

Ehlinger made an ill-advised throw to Whittington in the flat, and Jalen Green crushed Whittington, breaking up the pass. On the next play, Ehlinger was sacked by Joseph Ossai. Rafiti Ghirmai, who has struggled with bouncing snaps throughout the spring, bounced one back to Casey Thompsonon fourth-and-goal from the 1 late in the first quarter. (Fortunately, Thompson scooped it and scored it anyway.)

On second-and-6 from the Orange 24, Ehlinger had time to throw the ball and lofted a pass to a well-covered Keaontay Ingram and McCulloch easily picked off the pass and returned it 32 yards to the Orange 1. On the Orange (first-team offense’s) second series, Sam Ehlinger scrambled backward and then stepped out of bounds before throwing the ball away, taking a 12-yard loss. Then, it took a nice pass breakup by Cade Brewer to keep B.J. Foster from intercepting Ehlinger on the next play. With no rush, Ryan Bujcevski rugby punted, with the wind from the White 41, but still couldn’t boot it inside the opposing 20 (the ball carried 39 yards and was fair caught at the Orange 20).

THE UGLY

The 20-plus mile-per-hour winds throughout the game and all the first-half dropped passes.

It's important to remember that Chip Brown is a fraudulent cocksucker who has created false articles for hits that has intentionally hurt UT on multiple occasions.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Sigh....Can Herman just give in & sigh Major Applewhite as OC already. At least Major has shown he's a competent playcaller under Herman at UH and without Herman at UT back in 2013. Beck hasn't even shown he's competent playcaller under Herman at UT.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Even as not a UT fan, I'll say its it unfair to judge a player Sam in game like this. It's not his game. These are basically 7 on 7 for QBs

He his like a Tebow. He needs contact to get his game going. He knows he can't take off and run over somebody because it's his team. He is seems like a player that gets better once there has been some contact

Sam is not someone you would pick for a 7 vs 7 passing game. But 3rd & 5, in real game, he is probably going to find a way  to get it.

Not to mention the defense knows what they are going to do and knows every receiver's strengths & weaknesses

Edited by Buddy Hinton

10 minutes ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Even as not a UT fan, I'll say its it unfair to judge a player Sam in game like this. It's not his game. These are basically 7 on 7 for QBs

He his like a Tebow. He needs contact to get his game going. He knows he can't take off and run over somebody because it's his team. He is seems like a player that gets better once there has been some contact

Sam is not someone you would pick for a 7 vs 7 passing game. But 3rd & 5, in real game, he is probably going to find a way  to get it.

Not to mention the defense knows what they are going to do and knows every receiver's strengths & weaknesses

Ok but what about 4th and 5 in a real game?

Remember how awesome we looked in the spring game right before the 2010 season?

Texas is Garrett Gilbert’s team.

The sophomore quarterback, who was thrust into action when Colt McCoy was injured in the BCS championship game last season, is now the starter for the Longhorns.

He didn’t disappoint in his unofficial starting debut, completing 10 of 13 passes for 165 yards and three touchdowns Sunday as the Longhorns wrapped up spring drills with their annual scrimmage.

McCoy set an NCAA record with 45 wins as a starter but got hurt early in the January title game and Texas lost 37-21 to Alabama. Gilbert doesn’t have a single win yet, but coach Mack Brown says he’ll be good enough to keep the Longhorns in the national championship hunt next season.

That’s when I learned to stop paying attention to preseason scrimmages. They’re not really diagnostic of anything. 

• Like 2

Further, Green and the defense will not face any vanilla offenses like the Spring game other than LSU, so don't read too much into the defensive performance.

Yeah, growing pains to be expected. But the young pups are facing some of the toughest wrs in the nation in practice and already look fearless. So much better than years past when we were watching db’s looking lost and timid.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

That’s when I learned to stop paying attention to preseason scrimmages. They’re not really diagnostic of anything. 

I want to throw the neg bombs to bad right now.  

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm very triggered right now. I blame Gilbert for the last decade of suck. Nobody wanted to play on a team with a shitty QB. It ALL starts with the QB.

5 hours ago, Mileslong said:

My biggest takeaway from the game is that Ahmad Brooks must get paid by the fucking word . He babbles on with a bunch of nonsensical cliches and anecdotes while completely ignoring the action on the field.

HE NEVER SHUTS UP...

Mrs. Brat turned off the sound in the first quarter because she didn’t know wtf Ahmad was talking about and Lowell was a regard.

• Like 3