Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You can buy a sackful of fresh jalapeños at any grocery store for a couple of bucks. 

And I can spend $15 on plants that produce peppers all the way through november and sell 10 pint jars to friends for $3-5/ plus have about 5 jars for myself.  Plus they taste better than those ginormous bell pepper-y jalapenos I get at the store.  

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

And I can spend $15 on plants that produce peppers all the way through november and sell 10 pint jars to friends for $3-5/ plus have about 5 jars for myself.  Plus they taste better than those ginormous bell pepper-y jalapenos I get at the store.  

But how much do you have to pay them to be your friend?

57 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I do half serranos in mine. The japs get plenty hot. 

@jimmyjazz my buddy has bbq truck at the Good Lot in Cedar Park, and his peppers and pickles are awesome. So I  was surprised to b find out his brine is literally just water, distilled vinegar, and salt. I do 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, and a little less than 1/4 cup of salt. He adds garlic to the pickles.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, threesheets said:

my buddy has bbq truck at the Good Lot in Cedar Park, and his peppers and pickles are awesome. So I  was surprised to b find out his brine is literally just water, distilled vinegar, and salt. I do 3 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, and a little less than 1/4 cup of salt. He adds garlic to the pickles.

How long is the brine before they're dialed in?  Presumably, no fussy Mason jar sealing, etc.?

I eat a crap ton of pickled peppers.  I need to do my own.  Wouldn't mind expanding to onions, carrots, etc.

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Didn't belong in the bbq thread, but figured it could go here.  Hancock HEB is getting redone into an HEB Plus and I found out they are going to have BBQ.  I have a feeling I will be partaking regularly.

I'm sure that Pok-E-Jo's outside the Hancock HEB is thrilled about that. 

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Didn't belong in the bbq thread, but figured it could go here.  Hancock HEB is getting redone into an HEB Plus and I found out they are going to have BBQ.  I have a feeling I will be partaking regularly.

Don’t get your hopes up. The HEB BBQ that I’ve tried wasn’t very good. 

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've lived less than a mile away for over a decade and I have a) never once eaten there and b) completely forgot it exists.

We have them cater meetings at the office fairly often. The last time the brisket was surprisingly good. Must have had a new guy filling in. 

45 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Don’t get your hopes up. The HEB BBQ that I’ve tried wasn’t very good. 

Oh there’s a reason I didn’t put it in the bbq thread. But HEB does most things well, so I figure they might do this well enough. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You sell jalapenos to your friends?

We all sell shit from our gardens to each other.  Yes, it’s stupid.  But it’s either that or the continuous “I got the next round” at happy hour.  Basically get a bunch of business passed around, fresh veggies or pickled experiments exchanged, and some time to chill before heading home to the family madness.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/29/2024 at 3:54 PM, sith_horn said:

Returned it. They handled it well. Got a refund and the store manager brought another bottle gratis so I could still try it out. He's a good guy. We peeled it open with no violent release. Definitely smelled different -- much milder in comparison.

I'm a fan now that I've had a chance to sample the second, untainted bottle. Good Stuff.

MiTiendaSalsaTaqueraVerde.thumb.webp.2a49adc373cc624a6548552418841f72.webp

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We all sell shit from our gardens to each other.  Yes, it’s stupid.  But it’s either that or the continuous “I got the next round” at happy hour.  Basically get a bunch of business passed around, fresh veggies or pickled experiments exchanged, and some time to chill before heading home to the family madness.   

So.....vegetable hour?

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Storm the Field said:

Grabbed some of this to go with some al pastor street tacos last weekend. Pretty tasty, and not overly spicy. Pairs well with breakfast tacos too.

009355512-2

Had the kids send me some of this stuff, its ok...

I have this sent out every month, it slams

001857449-1?jpegSize=150&hei=1400&fit=co

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Had the kids send me some of this stuff, its ok...

I have this sent out every month, it slams

001857449-1?jpegSize=150&hei=1400&fit=co

I have found the light green jalapeno (not the roasted version) to be taster and somehow spicier but YMMV

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Plus people are often blinded by their own preferences and those around them. Most of us here love the top end BBQ and debating the finer points, but there are SO MANY people who think of a chopped beef sammich when they think of BBQ and they aren't trying to dust off $45 for a BBQ lunch, and for them if Rudy's isn't near, maybe Pok-E-Jo's or Dickey's is. I walked behind a woman at Love Field one time who said the Love Field Dickey's was her favorite BBQ place IN THE WORLD. These people exist. 

• Haha 1

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

Hey, really the only way to make Dickey's better is to have that Dickey's be in an airport. 

My wife and I got stuck at D/FW a couple of summers ago on a return leg from NYC that was fucked by storms.  There was a Dickey's in our terminal.  I bailed on my book-reading wife, went to get a beer and decided I'd try the 'q.  Holy smokes (pun intended) that was bad, bad, bad.  I stuck to the beer.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife and I got stuck at D/FW a couple of summers ago on a return leg from NYC that was fucked by storms.  There was a Dickey's in our terminal.  I bailed on my book-reading wife, went to get a beer and decided I'd try the 'q.  Holy smokes (pun intended) that was bad, bad, bad.  I stuck to the beer.

See, too bad you weren't at Love Field, could've had the best BBQ in the world. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/7/2024 at 9:30 PM, sith_horn said:

I'm a fan now that I've had a chance to sample the second, untainted bottle. Good Stuff.

MiTiendaSalsaTaqueraVerde.thumb.webp.2a49adc373cc624a6548552418841f72.webp

I’ve got to say, after this came up the first time, I tried all their MI Tienda brands. This was the worst of the 3 for me, habanero being the best. 

IMO this Mi Tienda Verde is a much inferior but similar sauce to the Trader Joe’s Green Dragon sauce myself and other posters have pimped out his thread. If you have one nearby, and you like that Verde, give green dragon a shot. They’re both jalapeño/tomatillo/vinegar based sauces. 

image.jpeg.f83e2bd8036a5e3b15efb8612f9341fd.jpeg

On 3/7/2024 at 8:22 PM, deft said:

Heb true bbq doesn’t fuck around. It’s good shit.

Does surly have a pickling thread? Do we need to start one?

On 3/8/2024 at 12:44 AM, elfenix said:

i really need to make some more pickles.  and kimchi.

We should consider a pickling and fermented salsa/sauces thread. I know @irishtexan had a fermented table sauce somewhere I meant to try, but lost track of. Fermented salsas are on my list to try this year. 

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck yeah these have been awesome lately. Like four grapes in one. Mutant grapes. 

I just finished them off, and not a single one came loose and was off the vine.

SuperGrapes!  

Edited by Beau Vine