If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Does it mean when you go across the street and start a spite station? 

F yes. 

Goddamn, that was funny.

For those that missed it:

Fake Norm: Andy, do you know what "retire" means?

Andy Panda: Is it when you go across the street and start a spite station?

I have to say, I don't listen to a lot of Ticket these days, so I may have missed some of the discussion.  But is that the most overt reference to the other station that anybody has done on the Ticket?  For the most part, they just seem to ignore it.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Goddamn, that was funny.

For those that missed it:

Fake Norm: Andy, do you know what "retire" means?

Andy Panda: Is it when you go across the street and start a spite station?

I have to say, I don't listen to a lot of Ticket these days, so I may have missed some of the discussion.  But is that the most overt reference to the other station that anybody has done on the Ticket?  For the most part, they just seem to ignore it.

Davey did a fake character that mentioned Sirois going over to an old-folks retirement home that barely rates as much as TV static. Nothing else besides that. 

21 hours ago, Skipper said:

Someone want to elaborate on the beef between the Musers, etc. and Norm when Norm first started?  I've seen it referenced and heard Bob mention something in passing about how odd it was to celebrate Norm's 25 years in radio when he had only been at The Ticket a few months and they were on team Musers at the time.  That was all probably before my time in Dallas or certainly before I was listening to the Ticket regularly.

Listen to the HL right now as they are going over it all. 

I watched Norm's retirement announcement on YouTube today, and I must say Norm looked old enough to be concerned about having to be carried out, which he correctly spoke about, noting he didn't want to be carried out.  

Imo, he just made it by the skin of his teeth.   I am really glad for him that he finally made the decision, but that bit about doing podcasts and traveling etc. hmmm?  He is already traveling quite a bit, and I don't see a podcast in his future.  Imo, there is no way he is coming back for future NFL drafts, etc.  78? Wow!  I cannot imagine working a full time job at 78.  Of course some people might say Norm has been part-time for a while already.  

norm is such an odd character, just a guy that 100% cares about sports and talking about them to the absence of seemingly anything else. even during the last week, the 'tributes' to him from other shows don't mention anything about him personally, just fake norm bits, real e-brakes and talk about how many years he's been there. god bless donovan for putting up with that over the past decade.

Lots of folks speculating on moving HZ to 10-3 and adding Donnie and mini/Monty or making other moves.

I don’t think they fuck with the other shows and only tinker with 10-12. The others are killing the ratings and that’s no the me to fuck around.

I’d like to see if mike doocy and Donnie make a 2 hour show.

Sirois ain’t coming back. Literally zero chance of that happening. I want @Grubes back before sirois. But that ain’t happening either. 

honestly Donnie by himself with a good team around him could be excellent. He’s a great dude and getting the donnathon going soon could be fun. He’s got good bits. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

They are going to have multiple cohosts come in to fill in until they decide on one.  Doocy's cohost Sam Gannon will be in for 2 shows in a couple weeks.

Sam Gannon is terrible. Doocy repeats the same tired bits and is overrated. 

Is the Norm praise horseshit over with?  Can I come back to The Ticket for my sports talk in your estimation?

26 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

They are going to have multiple cohosts come in to fill in until they decide on one.  Doocy's cohost Sam Gannon will be in for 2 shows in a couple weeks.

I checked out of sports talk after the Stars season ended and completely missed Norm's gone. Perfect timing. 

They have no one other than Monty who can be remotely interesting. Doocy isn't full time and would suck if he was, Sam Gannon's best moment was having Monty put a Brazzers logo on a picture of her, and everyone else there is spare. 

If they won't give it to Monty they need to go make up with Sirois and get him back. He and Rhyner/Danny is mediocre at best but he and Donnie under the more regimented format of the ticket was a great show. 

Edited by Hermanator

Sirois is a beating as a lead; he made his bed. They need to just have a series of guests hosts with Donnie for the rest of summer and into football season. There are a ton of talented folks who can come in from elsewhere. GMFB did rotating guests for months after Kay Adams and Nate Burleson left and it was in many ways a better show than it was with them. Kelly Ripa has made a good living rotating guests hosts after her partner leaves.

52 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Sirois is a beating as a lead; he made his bed. They need to just have a series of guests hosts with Donnie for the rest of summer and into football season. There are a ton of talented folks who can come in from elsewhere. GMFB did rotating guests for months after Kay Adams and Nate Burleson left and it was in many ways a better show than it was with them. Kelly Ripa has made a good living rotating guests hosts after her partner leaves.

It's going to be interesting to see what the first month sans Norm look like, if they crater then it will obviously push up the time frame for a permanent show...but like you I'd like to see some rotating hosts which works well w Donnie's skill set. 

What guests are they going to rotate in?

They aren't going to create a new host who will be accepted like that. The ticket is a picky clique. Hosts gotta work their way up for years by being entertaining over time and vibing with the station. Monty has done that and shown he can handle the spot. Sirois did it for a long time. They don't have any one else who isn't already a host who has shown they can do it. Bring in an outsider and it'll sound stupid and forced from day 1. Rotating randoms in and out only buys time but won't be a solution. They'll still need a legit guy unless they just feel they can throw anyone there and have a terrible show and it'll still work. 

I'd give it to Monty.

Edited by Hermanator

Monty is okay and that’s it. He’s not weekday host material. They need to go outside this crop for Donnie sidekick. 

The Norm shit continues. That combined with Mer People talk made for a shit day of radio. 

27 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Seems clear his "retirement" was simply Cumulus not offering him a new contract

Yep. That dude wasn't going to leave voluntarily. 

Their time slot ratings were pretty good recently so I wonder if they did offer a contract but at a much lower rate than before and Norm declined it. Or if Donnie went to Bennett and said if you make me work with this stiff another year I'm shooting the place up. 

• Haha 2

Maybe Norm just felt too constrained on broadcast radio. The podcast is about”lifestyle”. Maybe he wants to talk in detail about his and Mary’s life as swingers and needed the right outlet.

Norm you had a great career, said you were retiring, got a front page above the fold story on DMN, and a whole bunch of accolades. And it was all really just to change jobs. That’s kinds fucked up. I don’t think he knows how much work for so little an audience this is. I think someone convinced him that he’ll be able to get advertising from all the folks he’s shilled for years and pocket all the money.

I don’t think Norm got fired. I think he tried to leverage this huge ratings boom the station is producing into a big raise and cumulus told him to pound sand and he retired. Unlike so many in radio who eat low wages to be on the mike, Norm has always been driven by the money side and worked hard for his advertisers. I think he overestimated his worth being a two hour bridge between the Musers and the noon shift.