Valentine's Dinner Recs?

Saint Austin

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Take her out to dinner so she can instagram it like a normal person every other suburban schmuck in America who never gets out and falls sucker to the most amateur of nights of the year and who's dumb enough to be a sucker for "special menus and pricing" combined with "turn the tables as many times as possible" service all while being surrounded by a bunch of amateur schmuck yahoos crammed into the restaurant. 

fixed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I see we all have jokes....
I probably should have been more specific, any recommendations on something to prepare at home for dinner?

Besides, finding a good spot at this late stage would be a challenge. If your wife likes beef then you can't go wrong with a good filet. For fish, get some red snapper and pan saute it in a little butter and finish with a good squeeze of lemon. Top with freshly chopped parsley. For chicken do chicken picatta. Buy thin sliced chicken from HEB and lightly flour and salt and pepper it and saute it in a little olive oil until it's almost done. Add about 1/2 cup of chicken stock and some lemon juice (1/2 lemon) to the pan and continue cooking until the sauce thickens. Top with some capers and chopped parsley. Serve any of the above with your choice of vegetables and some roasted potatoes or angle hair pasta with the piccata. Buy her favorite desert from a good bakery. And start the meal with champagne while you cook after you've had a glass of your favorite whiskey/beer or whatever.

The bagged-up pre-made dinners from Central Market along with a handwritten card is always a winner.  Better than the usual effort which is taking wife to a limited prix-fixe dinner that is overpriced at a mediocre restaurant in an effort to prolong the illusion that the marriage still has merit.  There are two types of relationships in your mid-40's....those that require a half-assed effort this time each year...those are on borrowed time.  And then there is the second kind, where you let her know you have a calendar, that you care, that you find societal convention laughable, and she still gargles your balls whilst stroking the shaft.  

Also girl...there will be chocolates...

Edited by Lobo

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

There are two types of relationships in your mid-40's....those that require a half-assed effort this time each year...those are on borrowed time.  And then there is the second kind, where you let her know you have a calendar, that you care, that you find societal convention laughable, and she still gargles your balls whilst stroking the shaft.

Nailed it.  And thank god I’m in the latter group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Tonight I’ll be making some prime steaks with Diane sauce/topping, using the recipe from Morton’s, along with creamed spinach.

damn, that sounds delicious.

here, we are continuing our yearly tradition of going out for Conan's pizza,.  last year we were the only customers in the place (RIP Conan's Guadalupe)

• Like 2

My wife said she is “morally opposed” to Valentine’s Day. No cards, no gifts, no fighting the crowds for a rushed prix fixe menu. Makes my life easy.

We’ll eat out this weekend, but we do that every weekend and we don’t need a stupid holiday to force us to do it under subpar circumstances.