Looks Like We Have Another Fake Hate Crime

Kyle

16 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That is fucking awesome!

Smollett is nominated for the 2019 NAACP Image Awards, scheduled for Saturday. Six-time host and "Black-ish" star Anthony Anderson told Variety on Wednesday that he hopes to see the controversial actor there.

“I hope he wins," Anderson added. "I’m happy for him that the system worked for him in his favor because the system isn’t always fair, especially for people of color. So I’m glad it worked out for him." 

Wait, shouldn't the lawyer be outraged that the two black guys were in WhiteFace?

I hope he wins too. I can't think of anyone more deserving of an NAACP award.

Not sure if it’s been posted yet, but now the city wants its $130,000 in expenses back from Smollett or they were going to file a municipal citation which includes a $500-$1000 fine plus potential treble damages for the $130k in expenses. This thing might just be getting started. 

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

This seems unusual:

http://www.ilpba.org/announcements/7249825

IPBA STATEMENT ON JUSSIE SMOLLETT CASE DISMISSAL

28 Mar 2019 2:49 PM | Anonymous

The Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association serves as the voice for nearly 1,000 front line prosecutors across the State who work tirelessly towards the pursuit of justice.  The events of the past few days regarding the Cook County State’s Attorney’s handling of the Jussie Smollett case is not condoned by the IPBA, nor is it representative of the honest ethical work prosecutors provide to the citizens of the State of Illinois on a daily basis.

The manner in which this case was dismissed was abnormal and unfamiliar to those who practice law in criminal courthouses across the State.  Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges alike do not recognize the arrangement Mr. Smollett received.  Even more problematic, the State’s Attorney and her representatives have fundamentally misled the public on the law and circumstances surrounding the dismissal. 

The public has the right to know the truth, and we set out to do that here. 

When an elected State’s Attorney recuses herself from a prosecution, Illinois law provides that the court shall appoint a special prosecutor.  See 55 ILCS 5/3-9008(a-15).  Typically, the special prosecutor is a neighboring State’s Attorney, the Attorney General, or the State Appellate Prosecutor.  Here, the State’s Attorney kept the case within her office and thus never actually recused herself as a matter of law.

Additionally, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office falsely informed the public that the uncontested sealing of the criminal court case was “mandatory” under Illinois law.  This statement is not accurate.  To the extent the case was even eligible for an immediate seal, that action was discretionary, not mandatory, and only upon the proper filing of a petition to seal.  See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(g)(2).  For seals not subject to Section 5.2(g)(2), the process employed in this case by the State’s Attorney effectively denied law enforcement agencies of legally required Notice (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(4)) and the legal opportunity to object to the sealing of the file (See 20 ILCS 2630/5.2(d)(5)).  The State’s Attorney not only declined to fight the sealing of this case in court, but then provided false information to the public regarding it.

The appearance of impropriety here is compounded by the fact that this case was not on the regularly scheduled court call, the public had no reasonable notice or opportunity to view these proceedings, and the dismissal was done abruptly at what has been called an “emergency” hearing.  To date, the nature of the purported emergency has not been publicly disclosed.  The sealing of a court case immediately following a hearing where there was no reasonable notice or opportunity for the public to attend is a matter of grave public concern and undermines the very foundation of our public court system. 

Lastly, the State’s Attorney has claimed this arrangement is “available to all defendants” and “not a new or unusual practice.”  There has even been an implication it was done in accordance with a statutory diversion program.  These statements are plainly misleading and inaccurate.  This action was highly unusual, not a statutory diversion program, and not in accordance with well accepted practices of State’s Attorney initiated diversionary programs.  The IPBA supports diversion programs, and recognizes the many benefits they provide to the community, the defendant and to the prosecuting agency.  Central to any diversion program, however, is that the defendant must accept responsibility.  To be clear here, this simply was not a deferred prosecution. 

Prosecutors must be held to the highest standard of legal ethics in the pursuit of justice.  The actions of the Cook County State’s Attorney have fallen woefully short of this expectation.  Through the repeated misleading and deceptive statements to the public on Illinois law and circumstances surrounding the Smollett dismissal, the State’s Attorney has failed in her most fundamental ethical obligations to the public.  The IPBA condemns these actions.

This irregular arrangement was an affront to prosecutors across the State, the Chicago Police Department, victims of hate crimes, and the people of the City of Chicago and Cook County.  We strongly encourage our members and the public to review the National District Attorneys Associations statement on prosecutorial best practices in high profile cases.

Best Regards,

Lee Roupas
President,
Illinois Prosecutor’s Bar Association

Now that is a strongly worded note. 

Good for them. The country has been clamoring for real collusion for two years. 

Well here is a straight plate of hate for ya. 

That's the thing; she didn't. Her statement of recusal was not used in the legal sense. The public should have clearly known this. 
The line "I only meant that in the colloquial sense" is one of my favorite things to come out of this case so far.

I can think of lots of conversations with my wife where I plan to use this in the future.

When I said home by 7, I meant that more in the colloquial sense...

When I said there would be NO strippers whatsoever, I meant that in the colloquial sense...

You get the idea.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/jussie-smollett-charges-dropps-kim-foxx/

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx on Wednesday defended her office’s decision to drop all charges against “Empire” star Jussie Smollett but said prosecutors had enough evidence to convict the actor of faking a hate-crime attack on himself.

Foxx began a string of interviews with local media, as Smollett’s lawyers took to the airwaves to declare Smollett’s innocence following an unusual, hastily called hearing Tuesday at which prosecutors dropped 16 felony counts tied to the alleged hoax attack.

Foxx said that the deal, which essentially wipes Smollett’s record clear, was not a sign that the prosecution case was weak or that Smollett was innocent, and said similar low-level felony defendants are cut the same breaks.

“The notion that this somehow exonerates him or that the prosecutors somehow believed he was innocent is very frustrating to [my] idea of alternative prosecution,” a hoarse-voiced Foxx said late Wednesday in an interview with The Chicago Sun-Times. “But I understand that [Smollett’s lawyers] have a client, and they have a spin.”

Foxx, who recused herself from the case just over a week before Smollett was charged because of conversations she’d had with a relative of the actor, pointed to the $10,000 bond that Smollett  turned over to the city of Chicago, a sum equivalent to the maximum fine for the disorderly conduct charges he faced. The prosecutor, who took office in 2016 after campaigning on a reform platform, said she believed the evidence against Smollett would have convinced a judge or jury to find him guilty.

“I believe based on the information that was presented  before the grand jury, based on what I’ve seen, the office had a strong case … that would have convinced a trier of fact,” she said.

Foxx’s First Deputy State’s Attorney Joseph Magats was the final decision-maker on the case after Foxx stepped aside, and informed Foxx about the planned disposition of Smollett’s case Monday afternoon, she said. An “emergency hearing” was held Tuesday morning, with no notice to Chicago Police. Magats required the payment to the city from Smollett in agreeing to drop the charges, Foxx said.

Magats “can’t say, ‘In exchange for dropping the charge, you have to give a $10,000 bond forfeiture … if you believe he’s innocent,” Foxx said. “You can’t ask an innocent man for $10,000.”

Foxx compared the conclusion of Smollett’s case — which also included the actor performing several hours of community service — to “alternative prosecutions” offered to some 5,700 offenders charged with low-level, non-violent crimes during the last two years. Even if found guilty at trial, Smollett, who had no prior felony convictions, likely would not have faced any jail time, Foxx said.

“Someone with no background on a Class 4 felony,  we’re not getting any prison time no matter how notorious the case,” Foxx said. “What we know is, he was not going to prison… he was going to get probation or community service.”

Smollett likely wouldn’t have gone to jail, but the way his case was concluded was different from “alternative prosecutions” typically pursued in Cook County, said Richard Kling, an IIT-Kent Law School professor with a large roster of clients facing charges in the same courthouse where Smollett had held his triumphant press conference Tuesday. Deferred prosecutions or pre-trial diversion programs typically require some admission of guilt, a formal arrangement for community service hours and a period of probation before charges or dropped and a record can be expunged.

“In my 48 years of practice, I certainly have never seen a deferred prosecution done like that,” Kling said. 

And there has been no admission of culpability; in fact Smollett and his attorneys have stepped up their claims that Smollett is innocent. His lawyer, Tina Glendian, maintained in an interview with ABC News Wednesday that Smollett had truthfully described an attack that took place a few blocks from his Streeterville home in the early morning hours of Jan. 29. 

“If [prosecutors] believed the charges, they would never have dropped the case,” Glendian said. “We were ready to fight the charges. It was their decision to discontinue this matter, so I think that speaks volumes.”

But those claims of innocence led Mayor Rahm Emanuel — who also did a round of national TV interviews Wednesday — to demand more answers from prosecutors. 

“The person who committed that hoax is walking around saying `I’m innocent.’ I would like a resolution in the sense of accountability and responsibility in the system, of who is right,” he said. 

“He’s either a person who pulled a hoax … or he is totally a victim and innocent. But both can’t be right. And the city of Chicago deserves an answer,” the mayor said.

Despite Foxx’s defense, questions about the case continued to swirl, particularly because she had earlier recused herself after talking several times with a relative of Smollett who was concerned about the investigation by the Chicago police. Foxx said Wednesday her last conversation which came more than a week before Smollett was charged with faking the attack; at the time, Smollett was considered to be the victim of a hate-crime attack. 

Tina Tchen, a Chicago lawyer and Democratic fundraiser who once served as chief of staff for First Lady Michelle Obama, had put Foxx in touch with the unnamed relative of Smollett, according to text messages released earlier this month in response to a public records request by the Sun-Times. The messages indicate Foxx contacted Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson and asked him to turn the case over to federal investigators.

Foxx said she talked with Smollett’s relative about concerns that information about the attack investigation was being leaked, and their belief that the FBI, which was investigating a threatening letter that had been mailed to the actor, was less prone to making details of the investigation public.

“I didn’t want any conversations with that relative [once] I knew that there was any potential that [Smollett] would be a suspect,” Foxx said. She told another interviewer that she regretted having been in touch with the relative.

Foxx also said Wednesday that the court file should remain public; she believed the only reports that would be sealed were arrest records. But Judge Steven Watkins had already granted a defense request for the “immediate sealing of the criminal records.”

A Chicago Sun-Times reporter was turned away from viewing the case file immediately after the hearing Tuesday. Scanned records of the case were removed from the digital database maintained by the clerks’ office by Tuesday afternoon.

By Wednesday morning, there was no record that the case had ever existed, and clerk’s office staff said the case file had been moved into storage.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

So she's saying they had enough evidence to Convict him of this crime, but they dropped the charges anyways...

This just gets better and better.

Look she needed a new lake house, a new car and a Swiss bank account ... give her a break....  Power to the people......

• Like 1

So she's saying they had enough evidence to Convict him of this crime, but they dropped the charges anyways...

This just gets better and better.
Yeah, this was really the wrong play here. If you want to cover your tracks, you tell the story that prosecuting this would have been long and drawn out wasting a lot of tax payer money on a non violent offense with a questionable outcome, so you made the hard call and decided to settle quickly.

People would still be justifiably pissed, but at least it sounds like you acted with some kind of logic.

Saying you think you had a strong case against someone who filed a fake hate crime report, but just decided to settle anyway? Bad idea jeans.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why did the DA "recuse" herself, anyway?  What was the conflict?

Despite Foxx’s defense, questions about the case continued to swirl, particularly because she had earlier recused herself after talking several times with a relative of Smollett who was concerned about the investigation by the Chicago police. Foxx said Wednesday her last conversation which came more than a week before Smollett was charged with faking the attack; at the time, Smollett was considered to be the victim of a hate-crime attack. 

Tina Tchen, a Chicago lawyer and Democratic fundraiser who once served as chief of staff for First Lady Michelle Obama, had put Foxx in touch with the unnamed relative of Smollett, according to text messages released earlier this month in response to a public records request by the Sun-Times. The messages indicate Foxx contacted Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson and asked him to turn the case over to federal investigators.

Foxx said she talked with Smollett’s relative about concerns that information about the attack investigation was being leaked, and their belief that the FBI, which was investigating a threatening letter that had been mailed to the actor, was less prone to making details of the investigation public.

“I didn’t want any conversations with that relative [once] I knew that there was any potential that [Smollett] would be a suspect,” Foxx said. She told another interviewer that she regretted having been in touch with the relative.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Do you really need to ask ?

There's an implied answer, obviously, but I'm more saying it feels like a point someone should address publicly simply to avoid the (really, really strong) appearance of impropriety.

Improriety ran out of the barn the second they said no charges would be filed.  This is a really really bad thing. The people involved look to be the Obamas based on the contact from her she one on her staff now or in the past to the DA.  It's 2016, and its long past time for justice to be color blind (and by that I mean it shouldn't see green). 

I think everyone suspects what would have happened to a normal person in this situation, black or white.

20 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That is fucking awesome!

Smollett is nominated for the 2019 NAACP Image Awards, scheduled for Saturday. Six-time host and "Black-ish" star Anthony Anderson told Variety on Wednesday that he hopes to see the controversial actor there.

“I hope he wins," Anderson added. "I’m happy for him that the system worked for him in his favor because the system isn’t always fair, especially for people of color. So I’m glad it worked out for him." 

Wait, shouldn't the lawyer be outraged that the two black guys were in WhiteFace?

I guess no one has pointed out to him that the two Nigerians that Smollet's attorneys  are trying to pin this on now are also people of color.

7 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I guess no one has pointed out to him that the two Nigerians that Smollet's attorneys  are trying to pin this on now are also people of color.

Doesn't count. The Nigerian's ancesters sold Smollet's ancestors to the Portuguese (who are or are not people of color depending on whatever political point is trying to be made). So technically, Smollet is just getting his reparations.

7 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Yeah, but they were in “whiteface” and ski masks during the fake attack. Soooooo.....

But when you mix black and white you get grey. Grey is the color of death.  Dead people walking around attacking people = zombies.

They were dead, Nigerian, Zombies.  That's why they're dropping the charges to just keep a lid on the whole thing. The panic and pandemonium In the streets if people found out the there were zombies in Chicago would be cataclysmic.

Kolschak is on the case now, Probably.

• Haha 1

On his podcast today, Geragos insinuated that there was a relationship of some sorts between Smollett and one of the Nigerian brothers. Apparently dude had stayed the night at Smollett recently. Infer from that what you want...and consider the source. 

On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, Reagan1k said:

Based on that, I think I'm ok with the "informal recusal."  That's the word she's looking for, "informal," not colloquial.  She, on the other hand, probably needs some action from the local bar discipline committee.  A public reprimand ought to do it.

I think my final conclusion is this.  I'm alright with it. 

The main reason I'm ok with it is that Smollett's fake charges didn't get anywhere.  If anyone had been charged and forced to defend themselves against these charges, I would not be ok with it.

There's plenty of stupidity everywhere in this and it seems to be getting exposure, so that's enough for me.  I'm not terribly incensed about the cops wasting their time.  Might have kept em from killing someone.

Edited by TwiceHorn

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

It sounds like they may have gotten involved in an FBI investigation 

I kind of hope that goes nowhere.  I'm not compelled by the federal "interest" in hate crimes or the fact that a letter was mailed.  It's none of the feds damned business as far as I'm concerned.  Further, if federal charges are brought it will likely result in disproportionately harsh treatment.  I think he got off easy, but then again, I think most defendants should get off easier than they do, especially in the federal system.

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I kind of hope that goes nowhere.  I'm not compelled by the federal "interest" in hate crimes or the fact that a letter was mailed.  It's none of the feds damned business as far as I'm concerned.  Further, if federal charges are brought it will likely result in disproportionately harsh treatment.  I think he got off easy, but then again, I think most defendants should get off easier than they do, especially in the federal system.

I didn't mean that the lame hate crime thing was part of the FBI case but jussie or the Nigerians could be a part of a different investigation and this could have messed it up? 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I didn't mean that the lame hate crime thing was part of the FBI case but jussie or the Nigerians could be a part of a different investigation and this could have messed it up? 

Oh I suppose anything is possible. My understanding of early FBI involvement was over a letter (mail fraud or crimes using the mail) and possible inadequacies of state-level investigation (that makes it into a civil rights violation).  I'm not a huge fan of federal involvement in state-level crimes.

The main reason I'm ok with it is that Smollett's fake charges didn't get anywhere.  If anyone had been charged and forced to defend themselves against these charges, I would not be ok with it.
There's plenty of stupidity everywhere in this and it seems to be getting exposure, so that's enough for me.  I'm not terribly incensed about the cops wasting their time.  Might have kept em from killing someone.

I think my conclusion is fuck that. If a Trump supporter had pulled something similar I’d want them nailed for it, and my post-2012 mission is to be as consistent as I can. I’ll leave it at that since I’ve disengaged from the CR.

I get your position and this isn’t an attack on you. Generally speaking I find this to be mostly bullshit meaningless theater. And I detest the concept of thought crimes. But what Jussie allegedly did is not acceptable and the message can’t be that we’re cool with it.
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh I suppose anything is possible. My understanding of early FBI involvement was over a letter (mail fraud or crimes using the mail) and possible inadequacies of state-level investigation (that makes it into a civil rights violation).  I'm not a huge fan of federal involvement in state-level crimes.

The FBI is involved, and more than likely will charge him with something, is that idiot decided to crush up aspirin into a fine powder and include it in the envelope to insinuate a potential biological attack .

Don’t care who you are; at his age he should know that type of fake terroristic act will end you up in federal prison. That is the only way other idiots don’t do the same.

The state charges I would have liked to seen a required admission of guilt, but the heavy “fine” and required community service (which should be more hours than 16) seemed appropriate for a first time offender.

I think he got off a bit light on the state side, but to me the federal charges were always going to be the scarier of the two.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Improriety ran out of the barn the second they said no charges would be filed.  This is a really really bad thing. The people involved look to be the Obamas based on the contact from her she one on her staff now or in the past to the DA.  It's 2016, and its long past time for justice to be color blind (and by that I mean it shouldn't see green). 

I think everyone suspects what would have happened to a normal person in this situation, black or white.

Yeah, it's enraging when people like Jeff Epstein and Jussie Smollett get away with things just because they are rich and know the right people. It's almost as if that's the way the world works or something.

Fuck that. 

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

I think my conclusion is fuck that. If a Trump supporter had pulled something similar I’d want them nailed for it, and my post-2012 mission is to be as consistent as I can. I’ll leave it at that since I’ve disengaged from the CR.

I get your position and this isn’t an attack on you. Generally speaking I find this to be mostly bullshit meaningless theater. And I detest the concept of thought crimes. But what Jussie allegedly did is not acceptable and the message can’t be that we’re cool with it.
I'm solely not ok with the leniency because it does the opposite of what you want to do in these cases - create deterrent to similar crimes in the future.

If what Jussie received for this felt on the harsher side of punishment, it sets a nice precedent not to fuck around with false charges. Just because no one was wrongly arrested, tried, and convicted in this case doesn't mean it won't happen next time around.

It's terrifying to me that I could end up in the wrong place at the wrong time and find myself convicted of something I had nothing to do with. I'm certain that happens in cases where an actual crime occurred because the system is imperfect. Let's not invite it happening because someone made up a crime that never happened.

I'd like to see people who fabricate crimes face the punishment someone would have received if they had been wrongly convicted of that crime. Feels about fair to me.
  • Like 2

The only deterrent they offered us don’t be as dumb as Jussie and make it so easy to get caught. 

Everything else worked exactly as planned. He became famous, did the talk show circuit and had famous people creating rallies and rants in his honor. 

Not only was he not punished at all, he still claims innocence and he did nothing wrong. The city of Chicago couldn’t have done worse for their citizens if they tried. But collusion is cool because it’s the right people colluding. 

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Based on that, I think I'm ok with the "informal recusal."  That's the word she's looking for, "informal," not colloquial.  She, on the other hand, probably needs some action from the local bar discipline committee.  A public reprimand ought to do it.

I think attorneys are he only profession to self-regulate. Law has forced all other professions to be regulated by the state,

Has anything happened to anyone who has faked a hate crime?  I recall one lady that carved an initial into her own cheek, and I think a Muslim girl claimed she was attacked at a train station or something like that. But I don’t recall the details enough to google. Are those correct?  Are there others?

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think attorneys are he only profession to self-regulate. Law has forced all other professions to be regulated by the state,

Well, this should be the case considering they are both actor on behalf of and contra to the state.  

If the state regulated the profession, it would muddy the waters so to speak.   

I’m not sure if there have been any punishments for it other than filing a false report. But at the same time, I can’t remember any that were as detailed as this. Heck, some of the others you hear about are just fakes and they lead you to believe it was a “hate crime”

Has anything happened to anyone who has faked a hate crime?  I recall one lady that carved an initial into her own cheek, and I think a Muslim girl claimed she was attacked at a train station or something like that. But I don’t recall the details enough to google. Are those correct?  Are there others?
It wasn't a crime, really, but this reminded me of the guy who faked the "hate cake" from whole foods.

Really, bud, if you want people to believe a bakery plastered homophobic slurs on your cake, whole foods might not have been your best target.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

“I tried to kill someone but my aim was bad and I missed...”

• Haha 1

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/04/01/report-accuser-told-police-kristaps-porzingis-called-her-my-slave/

Report: Accuser told police Kristaps Porzingis called her ‘my slave’

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26414381/woman-wanted-knicks-mediate-porzingis

In the handwritten letter that she described as a contractual agreement with Porzingis for payment of $68,000 -- a copy of which was obtained by ESPN -- Porzingis' name is misspelled and it is unclear whether the signature belongs to him.

In the alleged agreement, the woman wrote: "This agreement effective February 7, 2018, acknowledges the fact that an unexpected escalated sexual intercourse due to an inevitable physical attraction on the part of Kristap (sic) occurred subsequently, warrants compensation payable towards (the woman's) siblings college tuition in the amount of $68,000. ...

" ... Mr. Kristap (sic) willingly offered several compensations to (the woman) including business investments. (The woman) ultimately settled with Mr. Kristap's (sic) offer of a $68,000 check."

Slight detail, please forgive...

I just read a news article stating that a white power emblem / symbol was found after a fire had been extinguished. Stated in the article that the emblem/symbol was not described. My question is 2 part, first why would it not be described, and secondly what the heck is a white power symbol / emblem? I can honestly say is a 62 year old honky I don't think I've ever heard of one much less seen one. End of derail thank you.

Edited by SHOOTER12
Derpderphurrdurr