Jump to content

What new UT gear are you looking to buy this year?


GhostOfTomJoad

Recommended Posts

On 12/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

I've been meaning to get a watch for awhile, but the UT ones out there seem to go either super cheap in material/fugly to uber expensive. 

Just found this one and jumped at it

91NCbzTp2fL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

Not too bad on price (less than $60) and one reviewer claims it to be "1970's Texas Burnt Orange." Will post pics when it arrives. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CYJWVVA?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Met a guy at a Texas Game that did this with a Rolex Sub 16610, he had a custom rootball dial and insert and it looked good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Why are so many of yall buying off brand/off color Texas stuff?

IMO most of the Nike Texas catalog is trash, especially for being the #1 seller in merch. Most of the recent stuff I’ve wanted to buy is team exclusive only. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ERhine said:


Did the real jersey have the wrong shade of orange?

based on how Ebbets Field does their historical jerseys that is based on a real one.

per Alcalde story, during WW2, the dyes went off the market (they were made in Germany) which led to using a lighter Orange dye
 

Quote

But during World War II, when everything from chocolate to typewriters was rationed, Texas Orange dyes went off the market—they had been produced for O’Shea in Germany. The Horns switched back to a lighter dye, another yellowy orange that the regents made official on UT’s seal in 1950.

It stayed that way for less than a decade, when a young coach and former Oklahoma quarterback named Darrell K Royal showed up on the Forty Acres.

evidently the orange color was on the seal in 1950 but can't find that exact seal quickly.

here is a pin from the 50s that looks like the same color of (lighter) orange:

ut-football-pin-1950s.jpg

 

looking around at vintage pennants from "circa 1950" the orange seems to match up

https://www.etsy.com/listing/962503811/vintage-university-of-texas-at-austin

il_794xN.2870399648_95dw.jpg

someone scanned this article from the 2011 Alcalde that shows some of the color differences from 60 to 61: https://oak.ucc.nau.edu/jib2/longhorn/Bowie - Longhorn Logo Turns 50.pdf

the line is DKR "burnt orange" and it looks like the color on the 1960 media guide is "texas orange"

image.png.a146fd6c3e46878d1641c476bea1f202.png

this is a long way of saying that in 1941 that was the real orange and with how EF does their work, they based it on original stuff vs what's the "right" color now.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2022 at 10:41 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Just got one under the Christmas tree this morning. It runs large. Great for wearing a hoodie/long sleeve under it for games this spring though. It is sweet looking

image.thumb.png.e4940d1f1f85892eeb2eee506df04d8e.png

does it look like a pj top or is that just how it looks in the picture?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

I've been meaning to get a watch for awhile, but the UT ones out there seem to go either super cheap in material/fugly to uber expensive. 

Just found this one and jumped at it

91NCbzTp2fL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

Not too bad on price (less than $60) and one reviewer claims it to be "1970's Texas Burnt Orange." Will post pics when it arrives. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CYJWVVA?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

you get it in yet?  i've seen it in person and thought it was straight up brown.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ERhine said:


I’m aware of the historical changes to burnt orange over the years.

Doesn’t change the fact that jersey is hideous.

im not defending the look, i am saying it is a period appropriate color of orange and it's a period copy of the 1941 Texas Longhorns road baseball jersey. you are the one who said it is the "wrong" color of orange...when it isn't based on the time period and how EF does business.

34 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This is a damn comfy sweater. I didn’t realize it was comfort colors when I put it on my Christmas list (wasn’t looking closely and figured it was dark gray) but no matter. Look good, feel good. 

185DAC88-51FF-4698-9D44-E32132618FF3.jpeg

got a link? that looks awesome

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NoName said:

im not defending the look, i am saying it is a period appropriate color of orange and it's a period copy of the 1941 Texas Longhorns road baseball jersey. you are the one who said it is the "wrong" color of orange...when it isn't based on the time period and how EF does business.

got a link? that looks awesome

https://www.universitycoop.com/Arch-Angry-Bevo-ComfortWash-Fleece-Sweatshirt?quantity=1&custcol_coop_coloroption_gm=2

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

I've been meaning to get a watch for awhile, but the UT ones out there seem to go either super cheap in material/fugly to uber expensive. 

Just found this one and jumped at it

91NCbzTp2fL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

Not too bad on price (less than $60) and one reviewer claims it to be "1970's Texas Burnt Orange." Will post pics when it arrives. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CYJWVVA?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

So just got home and it came early...

20221228-180954.jpg

20221228-181117.jpg

20221228-180954.jpg

Obviously, it's too late to see it in natural lighting, so I tried taking pics in different light settings. I think the middle pic is the best representation. 

Verdict-- I'm going to return it. I don't see any sort of orange in person. Maybe natural light would show something different, but that defeats the purpose of the purchase. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, NoName said:

based on how Ebbets Field does their historical jerseys that is based on a real one.

per Alcalde story, during WW2, the dyes went off the market (they were made in Germany) which led to using a lighter Orange dye
 

evidently the orange color was on the seal in 1950 but can't find that exact seal quickly.

here is a pin from the 50s that looks like the same color of (lighter) orange:

ut-football-pin-1950s.jpg

 

looking around at vintage pennants from "circa 1950" the orange seems to match up

https://www.etsy.com/listing/962503811/vintage-university-of-texas-at-austin

il_794xN.2870399648_95dw.jpg

someone scanned this article from the 2011 Alcalde that shows some of the color differences from 60 to 61: https://oak.ucc.nau.edu/jib2/longhorn/Bowie - Longhorn Logo Turns 50.pdf

the line is DKR "burnt orange" and it looks like the color on the 1960 media guide is "texas orange"

image.png.a146fd6c3e46878d1641c476bea1f202.png

this is a long way of saying that in 1941 that was the real orange and with how EF does their work, they based it on original stuff vs what's the "right" color now.

I have that pennant.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2022 at 6:23 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

So just got home and it came early...

20221228-180954.jpg

20221228-181117.jpg

20221228-180954.jpg

Obviously, it's too late to see it in natural lighting, so I tried taking pics in different light settings. I think the middle pic is the best representation. 

Verdict-- I'm going to return it. I don't see any sort of orange in person. Maybe natural light would show something different, but that defeats the purpose of the purchase. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

 

I think that brand makes horrible disintegrate-in-exactly-12-months shoes, which is why I wished Adidas made Texas-branded athletic shoes, too.

Adidas shoes last years on my huge feet. Nike shoes fall apart at exactly 12 months.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Horn117 said:

Rooster Andrews had the real burnt orange.

He did, and I bought some correct burnt orange gear in 2 of his sporting goods stores in my leaner years, mostly the one that was on West Anderson Lane in Shoal Creek Plaza.  The building is still there; it changes tenants like crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, Horn117 said:

Rooster Andrews had the real burnt orange.

Sure wish I still had the 1986 coaches jacket I bought there.  At one time you could buy anything the team was issued.  I also had one of those TEAM me tshirts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2022 at 12:35 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

This is a damn comfy sweater. I didn’t realize it was comfort colors when I put it on my Christmas list (wasn’t looking closely and figured it was dark gray) but no matter. Look good, feel good. 

185DAC88-51FF-4698-9D44-E32132618FF3.jpeg

Whatever happened to texastaps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the l left is my old insulated bag, and on the right is my new one. Anyone notice a difference? Should I tweet CDC?

148-CCD54-B20-D-4-FE2-9-CEC-DA708-A74442
 

And to those up thread who point out the lighter, brighter orange back in Brat’s early retirement days, remember that it was DKR who darkened the orange to (allegedly) make it harder for defenses to see which player was carrying the ball on option plays.  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Don’t capitalize verbs, dumb ass.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some time back I had seen ads for this company, and recently I'm saw their ads again, notably with Colt McCoy wearing this short-sleeved shirt that I bought:

Link: https://www.ponchooutdoors.com/collections/western/products/burnt-orange-short?variant=40595287277762 

image.thumb.png.bb70dc68fa11f6d7f52bd179d3a491fd.png

It's an Austin company, Poncho Outdoors, and it's Texas-themed gear since the short-sleeve is named The 1969, and long-sleeve version is called The 2005:

image.thumb.png.146f24f24fd20f2c1c63082714cb79be.png


I didn't buy the long-sleeve, but I did buy a couple of their corduroy long-sleeve shirts in other colors.

 

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Some time back I had seen ads for this company, and recently I'm saw their ads again, notably with Colt McCoy wearing this short-sleeved shirt that I bought:

Link: https://www.ponchooutdoors.com/collections/western/products/burnt-orange-short?variant=40595287277762 

image.thumb.png.bb70dc68fa11f6d7f52bd179d3a491fd.png

It's an Austin company, Poncho Outdoors, and it's Texas-themed gear since the short-sleeve is named The 1969, and long-sleeve version is called The 2005:

image.thumb.png.146f24f24fd20f2c1c63082714cb79be.png


I didn't buy the long-sleeve, but I did buy a couple of their corduroy long-sleeve shirts in other colors.

 

can't recommend them or their shirts enough. really quality, they last well and i like both the SS and the LS. their flannels are pretty awesome too, we just don't live in a place where you need them THAT often. i can't speak to their denim or corduroy ones

they are great shirts.

one tip - when you dry them, just hang dry and tuck the zipper and pull (or just remove the pull entirely) under the little overhang at the top so it is hidden when it dries. makes a big difference when it comes to the pull showing or not

image.png.7339decc90399b25ba055a6533d1a8ff.png

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

Some time back I had seen ads for this company, and recently I'm saw their ads again, notably with Colt McCoy wearing this short-sleeved shirt that I bought:

Link: https://www.ponchooutdoors.com/collections/western/products/burnt-orange-short?variant=40595287277762 

image.thumb.png.bb70dc68fa11f6d7f52bd179d3a491fd.png

It's an Austin company, Poncho Outdoors, and it's Texas-themed gear since the short-sleeve is named The 1969, and long-sleeve version is called The 2005:

image.thumb.png.146f24f24fd20f2c1c63082714cb79be.png


I didn't buy the long-sleeve, but I did buy a couple of their corduroy long-sleeve shirts in other colors.

 

I like those. I’ve emailed to see if the sleeves on the 2005 are long enough to be viable for me. 
 

I have about 50 of these logo T-shirts in various states of disintegration. If I could get them in this darker orange, I’d buy a couple dozen right away. Oh well.

 

476277FE-F7CA-459A-BA84-08A2292BDE20.png

26EC09B2-FFA6-4D42-A854-739F64A1B86D.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NoName said:

can't recommend them or their shirts enough. really quality, they last well and i like both the SS and the LS. their flannels are pretty awesome too, we just don't live in a place where you need them THAT often. i can't speak to their denim or corduroy ones

they are great shirts.

one tip - when you dry them, just hang dry and tuck the zipper and pull (or just remove the pull entirely) under the little overhang at the top so it is hidden when it dries. makes a big difference when it comes to the pull showing or not

image.png.7339decc90399b25ba055a6533d1a8ff.png

I don't know why I didn't buy the long-sleeve, but now that I'd seen the short-sleeve I probably will get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...