Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crashes killing 157

Nueces River Rat

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

It's the terrorist attack rule.  No place is safer than after a terrorist attack.  Those 737s are going to be inspected with a fine tooth comb.  Just gotta watch out for mushroom eating pilots

The problem is that the airplane may have been assembled by fuckups. Capitalist fuckups or union fuckups depending on your Surly point of view, but fuckups nevertheless. Who knows what else wasn't done right? Are they checking the bolts on all the plugs, or just the one side? What about the doors? The landing gear? The fucking engines?

32 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Mostly because of Alaska 261 which was a maintenance failure. I guess Notoriously is probably a bit strong. 

24 years ago? Yeah I'd have to agree "notoriously" seems a bit strong.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, my everloving fucking god, will you please stop trying to make some innane political point with every fucking post on every fucking topic?  It's exhausting.  It's exhausting to an absolute mortifying degree.

I'm not even trying to be the "take it to CR" police, though the "take it to CR" police never seem to cite you for even your blatant violations, but Jesus tapdancing Christ--you really do have nothing to contribute other than some drive-by political sniping, do you?

Don't argue with donkeys.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, my everloving fucking god, will you please stop trying to make some innane political point with every fucking post on every fucking topic?  It's exhausting.  It's exhausting to an absolute mortifying degree.

I'm not even trying to be the "take it to CR" police, though the "take it to CR" police never seem to cite you for even your blatant violations, but Jesus tapdancing Christ--you really do have nothing to contribute other than some drive-by political sniping, do you?

Once again its not a political point its a practical point.  Shutting down the world has consequences.

• Fuck You 4

I'm not even arguing with him.  I'm just expressing my exasperation by his inability to stop sucking his own dick in public.

Idk about doing it in public, but if I possessed that ability idk if I’d get much done for the foreseeable….ever. Now, honest question, does that make you gay? I mean, you sucked a dick. And, do you finish in your own mouth?

Asking for a friend, of course.

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Idk about doing it in public, but if I possessed that ability idk if I’d get much done for the foreseeable….ever. Now, honest question, does that make you gay? I mean, you sucked a dick. And, do you finish in your own mouth?

The cream filling is the best part right?   Errr, speaking for a friend of course 

16 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Does giving handjobs to yourself all the time make you gay (nttawt)?  No?  Then carry on

Edited by UT_OB1

Just now, drt said:

Anything to do with manufacturing that touched defense was deemed essential.

TIL there is a fighter bomer variant of the 737 max

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

But he thinks you are arguing with him.

He's too fucking stupid to interpret anything else. 

Erroneous on all counts 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Once again its not a political point it’s a practical point.  Shutting down the world has consequences.

Flew weekly for 18 months during the pandemic. Airlines were definitely not shut down and building planes and shit was not impacted at all because you know we love to fly. This is a stupid fucking argument but normal 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

Flew weekly for 18 months during the pandemic. Airlines were definitely not shut down and building planes and shit was not impacted at all because you know we love to fly. This is a stupid fucking argument but normal 

Boeing shut down their production lines during portions of the pandemic.

They didn’t operate fully for a long fucking time.

54 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

TIL bolt tightners were essential workers

30 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

TIL there is a fighter bomer variant of the 737 max

TIL apparently airlines landed planes that required maintenance in the workers’ driveways so they could work on them from home.  Fucking dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Do you know what they exactly shut down?
Family and friends work for Boeing and other airline/defense contractors. They enjoyed plentiful paychecks during the shutdown shit. You blaming this on the pandemic is wild 

No I don’t know the day by day details.

I too have relatives and friends employed by Boeing.  

Boeing also had significant layoffs and buyouts during Covid 

For what departments and when if you are gonna spout this nonsense? I was going to relocate from Dallas  and Seattle/chicago/LA were my top choices form reasons. SeaTac was for connections and those mfers weren’t hurting at all. Interviewed with T-Mobile lumen and Boeing.  Settled on LA for a woman probably another thread and bad decision but that’s for another thread 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

TIL, many people think it is a bolt tightening error, completely missing the importance of the bolt tightening inspectors

They're the same people.   About 5 years ago Boeing went to self inspection on a majority of work orders.  Don't that just beat all?

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Want to keep moving goal posts so you can get dunked on some more?  You’re embarrassing yourself. 

The whole conversation has been about Boeing and airplane manufacturing not airlines and maintenance you fucking idoit.

Edited by Incredulity

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

For what departments and when if you are gonna spout this nonsense? I was going to relocate from Dallas  and Seattle/chicago/LA were my top choices form reasons. SeaTac was for connections and those mfers weren’t hurting at all. Interviewed with T-Mobile lumen and Boeing.  Settled on LA for a woman probably another thread and bad decision but that’s for another thread 

0bad0f15-1419-4dd4-ba4a-8aa825faa655_tex

35 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Y'all need to let it go.  Both sides of this need to stop.  beginning to sound like idiots.  Ruining a good thread 

Lmao "both sides"? Gimmafugginbreak. It's just incredulity thread shitting and ignoring plain facts

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

The whole conversation has been about Boeing and airplane manufacturing not airlines and maintenance you fucking idoit.

FYI - the airframe that lost its plug was delivered in October. I'm not saying there isn't ongoing maintenance requirements, but don't pretend this was a plane with thousands and thousands of hours on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

FYI - the airframe that lost its plug was delivered in October. I'm not saying there isn't ongoing maintenance requirements, but don't pretend this was a plane with thousands and thousands of hours on it.

The manual says the "check plug door to see if manufacturer put the fucking bolts in" procedure is not called for until after the 2nd oil change. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The manual says the "check plug door to see if manufacturer put the fucking bolts in" procedure is not called for until after the 2nd oil change. 

I want to see this manual. It probably looks something like:

image.png.393c11dd3f400161ff8507c978a7c911.png

31 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I said the conversation has been about Boeing and manufacturing.

NOT airlines and maintenance.

14 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Family and friends work for Boeing and other airline/defense contractors.

14 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I too have relatives and friends employed by Boeing. 

Just one of y'all let me know before the final info is released. I gotta make some calls...

image.png.5c537bbc930d6b34ffac67e690eadcd3.png

• Hook 'Em 1

LOL

I wasn't claiming to have insider knowledge.  I have lived in the PNW and have some family there.  

Anyone having lived in the PNW and having friends that work at Boeing is about as common as being right handed.

P.S. Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel

Edited by Incredulity

Pretty good technical breakdown of what NTSB has found and told the public so far, delivered by an aircraft mechanic. Some harrowing details that were new to me: the cockpit door blew open when the door came off, the pilots headsets got sucked off their heads and blown out of the plane along with their fuckin emergency checklists, and that the (now found) door is missing one of its guides. It's very possible that the plug door was missing lock bolts AND structural bolts. Oh yeah and the cockpit door blowing open is officially a feature and not a bug - they just forgot to include that detail in the manual. I wonder what else Boeing omitted from the manual. 

I'm very glad I flew a 90s era 737-900er home today and not a Boeing plane made within the last decade

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

From a practical standpoint can Alaska Airlines bolt in a new door and put that hull back in service?

From everything I've read so far, there's remarkably little to zero damage to the airframe or door frame. It just needs a new plug door and connecting hardware - perhaps it's first ever complete set of hardware lol. 

However, the FAA still has a emergency AD out for the MAX9 airframe in general so I don't think it could come back into service yet. 

The NTSB is going to evaluate the found door and determine if the bolts WERE installed and failed, or if they weren't installed at all. If it's the former, then this is an even bigger scandal and failure. If the bolts just weren't installed at all, then this is fixable with simple inspections and maintenance. 

• Hook 'Em 1