Beto 2020

bad_teammate

46 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Lets get way ahead of ourselves and assume Beto wins the nomination. Would fellow Texan and known Trump hater W endorse him? If he did, would it help him peel off unhappy Rs, or would it do more harm than good with the far leftists in the Democratic party? Would Beto even want his endorsement? 

I know we're all having a good time, but what Hunter S. Thompson said of Timothy Leary fits for these empty vessels of hope and enthusiasm...

"He crashed around America selling 'consciousness expansion' without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously."

Beto refused to endorse Will Hurd's opponent and Will Hurd will not vote for Beto. There is no Republican of note who will support Beto. Beto and his fellow centrists will get each other VERY excited about reaching across the aisle and uniting this divided nation. And then, in full soyface mode, they'll look to the right and see Mitch McConnell's smug, evil rictus.

57 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think he's underselling the fact that Nelson was running against an AG under indictment, and Collier was running against an unpopular Lt Governor

And Ted Cruz is one of the most hated politicians in America. Absolutely loathed. He basically got booed off-stage at the RNC.

I hope Beto does well. I hope he wins the general if he wins the primary. But this is a fucking war and he looks really, really soft to me.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I hope Beto does well. I hope he wins. But this is a fucking war and he looks really, really soft to me.

Agreed.

I think losing that election is going to put huge target on his back and make him vulnerable to attack from the candidates who have shown they can actually win big races.

Edited by David Dennison

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Agreed.

I think losing that election is going to put huge target on his back and make him vulnerable to attack from the candidates who have shown they can actually win big races.

I think it’s a benefit because he’s coming off a tough race. It’s not like anybody else in the field would have beat Cruz. Doubtful they would have come as close as Beto or would have engaged so many typical non-voters.

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

i still have my sticker on the back of my car.  would love to replace it with something like that.

A lot never went away in the neighborhood. I think for a lot of supported they are going to be a monument of "I was always with him." 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think he's underselling the fact that Nelson was running against an AG under indictment, and Collier was running against an unpopular Lt Governor

Yeah but Beto was running against Ted Cruz.  I think people voted more for Beto and against Patterson and Patrick but it's still a valid point.

The top contributor list is interesting....

Contributor Total Individuals PACs
University of Texas $424,596 $424,596 $0
Alphabet Inc $228,694 $228,694 $0
J Street $182,934 $182,934 $0
University of California $134,586 $134,586 $0
AT&T Inc $117,317 $117,317 $0

• February 3Iowa caucus[195]
  • February 11New Hampshire primary[195]
  • February 22: Nevada caucus[195]
  • February 29: South Carolina primary[195]
  • March 3Super Tuesday (Alabama, California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Virginia primaries; Democrats Abroad preference vote through March 10)[195]
  • March 7: Louisiana primary[195]
  • March 10: Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio primaries; North Dakota firehouse caucus[195]
  • March 17: Arizona, Florida, and Illinois primaries[195]
  • March 21: Washington caucus[195]
  • To be determined: Colorado primary (March 3, 10 or 17)[195]
  • April 7: Wisconsin primary[195]
  • April 28: Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island primaries[195]
  • May 5: Indiana primary[195]
  • May 12: West Virginia primary[195]
  • May 19: Arkansas, Kentucky, and Oregon primaries[195]
  • June 2: Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota primaries[195]
  • June 7: Puerto Rico primary[195]
  • June 16: District of Columbia primary[195]

Will be interesting to see how long this goes on. Beto’s energy and cash could play well in the long run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

The top contributor list is interesting....

Contributor Total Individuals PACs
University of Texas $424,596 $424,596 $0
Alphabet Inc $228,694 $228,694 $0
J Street $182,934 $182,934 $0
University of California $134,586 $134,586 $0
AT&T Inc $117,317 $117,317 $0

He's a whore.

But that's why we all want to fuck him.

*loud coughing sound*

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

They need to put him and Bernie next to each other on the debate stage so we can get a side by side judgement on who flaps their arms around better when they speak. 

Unfair! Bernie is old and doesn't have a good range of motion!

#Ageist

#Ableist

#Problematic

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

My bold prediction is just the opposite: Beto for president flops.

Let's watch.

so happy you said this since literally the opposite of everything you post happens and you are always wrong, plus you're a self-admitted racist.  

My talking point to convince local Trumpkins is that we need more Texans in place of power.  Johnson Space Center has provided tens of thousands of great jobs to Texas, and H-town was chosen when LBJ was VP and Sam Rayburn speaker, which is all just a coincidence, I'm sure.   
Bring back the superconducting supercollider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Whiz Kid Harry Enten does a very interesting breakdown of 2018 mid-term results that put Beto's loss in some perspective. (CNN)

Overall, O'Rourke is certainly stronger in Texas than you'd have expected of a Democrat five years ago. According to this data, so too are other Democrats. O'Rourke's 2018 performance suggests he is certainly no worse than the average Democrat. He's probably better. O'Rourke, though, isn't likely some electoral magic bullet for Democrats.

Really the only Electorals that matter are Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, and Wisconsin. The one thing that Beto can do is force Trump to waste time and money in Texas, but he is going to have to attack Trump and his record. 

Robert Francis is starting to trend on Twitter. What is it with Republicans and their obsession with using someone's name with contempt?

They remind me of the villain played by Taylor Negron in The Last Boy Scout that would address everyone by their full name.

• Like 2

He's going to raise a shit ton if cash today:

Hello! This is Andrew with Beto O'Rourke's Texting Team. Big news: Beto just announced he is running for President! We're building this campaign together -- all people, no PACs. Can you be one of Beto's first contributors and match your previous donation? Donate here: https://act.betoorourke.com/go/donate"

I'm betting he's near Bernie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is this all you’re going to say over and over? It’s already boring and he hasn’t even officially announced yet. 
Cruiser just wants to engage in faux earnest hand wringing before telling us to vote for the libertarian candidate he supports just like when Beto ran for Senate.

5 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
4 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:
Is this all you’re going to say over and over? It’s already boring and he hasn’t even officially announced yet. 

Cruiser just wants to engage in faux earnest hand wringing before telling us to vote for the libertarian candidate he supports just like when Beto ran for Senate.

It's hilarious. Happens every time. And their definitions of a centrist seem to have cemented in the 1990s. The center never moves.

They just wants some reasonable democrat who's for building walls between us and brown countries and banning abortion and cutting corporate income taxes.

Edited by Yuk
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
5 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

It's funny.  He said I mentioned "New Democrat Coalition" over and over.  Yet there is only one instance in history of me talking about, the post that he quoted.  And then he inquires as to why I'd bring this up when Beto "hasn't even officially announced yet", despite O'Rourke having officially declared several hours earlier.  

I went Libertarian for Texas Senate.  I'm for Sec. Castro as the Democratic nominee for President of the United States.  We're hosting an event for him if you'd like attend.  Not just monetary contributions, we're helping him remind people he's done real shit with his career.