How Fox News works

retread

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

*wanders into movie*

How is Taylor Swift political?

Well you see she has a lot of LGBQT fans.  And she occasionally encourages them to vote and stand up for their rights.... so naturally that is concerning and highly suggests that she is an agent of the pentagon. 

• Like 1

Well her first two album and big national tours were under W. Bush.  She got truly global and massively popular and influential during the Trump administration.  So, if she was a Pentagon plant...wouldn't those two GOP'ers be to blame since they were commanders-in-chief?  (No offense to Pres. Bush because he's the kind of dad that would gladly his girls to a Swift concert had they been of that era).  

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Holy Shit.  Let's play "Spot the Rhetorical Fallacies" in this short clip.

I've got:

Hasty Generalization, Equivocation, Red Herring, Scare Tactics (duh, it's Fox), Post Hoc, Strawman, Begging the Question...

How many of the people who believe her crap could define or provide an example of any of these, let alone spot them in real time?

We're doomed.

• Rage+1 1

The Dow and S&P 500 hit all time highs this morning. Kinda a big deal.  Fox Business's webpage headline is that In & Out burger is closing a SF location due to crime.  There is nothing on their front page indicating how well the market is performing. Secondary headlines are highlighting layoffs and more are coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

S&P 500 hits another all time high today and below are the top 5 Fox Business headlines: (underscore is mine)

• Social Security recipients could get hit with surprise tax bill this year
  • Americans working from home face double taxation threat from the IRS
  • States with the highest car insurance premiums becoming even more expensive
  • Market expert warns US real estate is a 'slow-moving' catastrophe
  • Stuart Varney: Democrats want your accumulated wealth

Without watching their channel or reading into their stories, I imagine they're telling people to ignore their investment statements. Don't look up.

You know that more than a few of their viewers have stayed out of the market due to their gloom and doom stories over the last year. It would be interesting to know how much wealth Fox viewers have lost listening to their shows or reading their stories.  It's expensive to watch this network. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would be interesting to know how much wealth Fox viewers have lost listening to their shows or reading their stories.  It's expensive to watch this network. 

this is exactly how and why Fox and others have gotten so powerful and wealthy. they figured out how to get people to open their pocketbooks by scaring the shit out of them. it's maddening. I'll say it till it starts happening - there should be bigger consequences for lying. It's just too fucking rampant these days. We have the most information available to us than in any point in history and yet simply making shit up still wins the day. I hate this timeline sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

this is exactly how and why Fox and others have gotten so powerful and wealthy. they figured out how to get people to open their pocketbooks by scaring the shit out of them. it's maddening. I'll say it till it starts happening - there should be bigger consequences for lying. It's just too fucking rampant these days. We have the most information available to us than in any point in history and yet simply making shit up still wins the day. I hate this timeline sometimes.
Yeah, I was kinda excited about the internet shining a light through darkness and letting democracy shine. Whoops

40 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Republican control of right wing media/messaging works. Cult believe whatever Fox says 

IMG_0333.thumb.jpeg.d4c1d74b9083f5ea863b86bc86b4397d.jpeg

I will argue with any of my Republican friends in that the economy is very good for many. Basically white guys in their 50s with good paying jobs. They whine about high grocery costs while at the same time they’ve never been wealthier or earn more money.

i completely understand that some are missing out on this economy. I missed out on some hot economies in my life as well. It’s about preparing yourself for the next one.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will argue with any of my Republican friends in that the economy is very good for many. Basically white guys in their 50s with good paying jobs. They whine about high grocery costs while at the same time they’ve never been wealthier or earn more money.

i completely understand that some are missing out on this economy. I missed out on some hot economies in my life as well. It’s about preparing yourself for the next one.

I love hearing about high grocery prices from colleagues driving a < 3 year old F250 King Ranch Edition, who’s wife drives a brand new Bronco, and who has a mortgage at 3%.

Seriously. 
It’s insane.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Next attack:

Joe Biden is anti-family.

This is a man who had not talked to, or seen his 1st wife in 50 years! And you guessed it, he’s only active in 2 of his 4 children’s lives. 

And we here have found that he lists having 4 kids when 2 are actually dead! Thats right. One of which died at close to age 1! After birth abortion? Hey I’m just asking questions. The timeline is suspicious if you ask me.

Sure the media might say it was a car crash that also claimed his 1st wife.

But knowing Joe Biden and his policies, I bet there’s more to the story.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Officer: You were going 90 in a 20 mph school zone.

Me: Can I see your radar?

Officer: [Shows radar with ‘90’ on it]
Me: Well that is a slowdown from earlier when I was doing about 110.

But I’m going to have to dig in to this a little bit so I can see if it feels like or if I was going 90.

It’s obvious that by driving faster than others in a school zone it would SEEM like I was going fast. It’s all relative if you really think about it.

I was expecting to be going the speed limit when I set out today and It’s obvious I couldn’t be going that fast in perpetuity as I’d just run out of gas.

Therefore, I don’t think you measuring my instantaneous speed really captures the essence of my driving abilities or if I was adhering to the law

• Like 1

but the us economy isn't kicking ass. that's what's so funny. they painted themselves in a rhetorical corner. they can't do a deep analysis into our sham of an economy because to do so would unmask them far more more than usual. 

26 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but the us economy isn't kicking ass. that's what's so funny. they painted themselves in a rhetorical corner. they can't do a deep analysis into our sham of an economy because to do so would unmask them far more more than usual. 

are you speaking in your voice or Fox News'?

45 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Is this your opinion?  By most reasonable measure, our economy is hitting on all cylinders.  Are we as strong relative to other countries as compared to 1950? No, but that ship has sailed and could never return.

I understand that some Americans are missing out on the good times just like what happens in every growth cycle.

unemployment is at record lows. how many people are working 2+ jobs? how many side hustles are out there? 

probably the wrong thread but the wealth is flowing upwards at an exponentially increasing rate. I'll expound more on the enshittening thread later. but all the value metrics are totally fucked. 

it's right there for fox to point out but they cannot because they've trained their viewership over decades to look at meaningless economic metrics and salivate and many of the rest of us also fall for it. you can't unring pavlov's bell one you've imprinted that training. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

unemployment is at record lows. how many people are working 2+ jobs? how many side hustles are out there? 

probably the wrong thread but the wealth is flowing upwards at an exponentially increasing rate. I'll expound more on the enshittening thread later. but all the value metrics are totally fucked. 

it's right there for fox to point out but they cannot because they've trained their viewership over decades to look at meaningless economic metrics and salivate and many of the rest of us also fall for it. you can't unring pavlov's bell one you've imprinted that training. 

Well, the long-term economy is fucked, yes.  But that's going to be true under any current or near-term president because it's going to take decades to fix it.

But the short-term economy is pretty fine. 

USA TODAY just had an article on this and coincidentally I posted in the Cloud Engineering thread today about interviewing for a second job. I don’t need it, I just want to make more money cause I have tons of extra time and want some extra money to put a dent in some debt.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/11/03/more-americans-working-multiple-jobs-under-inflation/71441008007/

Nearly 8.4 million people held multiple jobs in October, the Labor Department reported Friday. They represent 5.2% of the workforce, the largest share of moonlighters since January 2020.

Roughly 5 million Americans held one full-time and one part-time job. Nearly 2 million held two part-time gigs. Another 1.1 million said they held jobs where the hours varied. Fewer than 400,000 held two full-time jobs.

The pandemic triggered an explosion of remote work. The freedom and flexibility it offers have inspired some employees to take on second jobs, sometimes in secret.

“More jobs allow telecommuting now, making it easier to take on two jobs, even two full-time jobs,” Renter said. Workers “save time by not dealing with a commute and may have more freedom to set their schedule, leading to increased productivity.”

Edited by StassneyHorn

7 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Workers “save time by not dealing with a commute and may have more freedom to set their schedule, leading to increased productivity.”

Don’t tell my company. They’ve got an office that has to be filled because they signed a big lease in 2019. 

20 hours ago, nbmishoid said:

As it turns out, something like a majority do not ride the good times.  Average investment in the market is 50k.

The hot economy just isn't about the stock market. Wages are rising faster than inflation so every worker should be seeing an improvement. From '21- early 2023, I agree that inflation outpaced wage growth but that has reversed for almost a year now.

If Joe Worker hasn't seen a pay raise at his job for 5 years, I don't know what to say other than his skillset must have no demand. 

EDIT: As for the average investment, how is that being calculated? Average per account or average per investor. The way my retirement is structured, I have 5 retirement accounts plus a couple brokerage accounts so my average account balance doesn't represent my total market balance.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie