How Fox News works

retread

I’m okay with an alliance of convenience when it comes to FIGHTING nazis.

Now that we’ve each decided to give some nazi flavors a spin ourselves….I’m not so sure.

I was quoting Tucker Carlson above. Though i almost responded with his follow up about “supporting democracies, i guess. “ comment but i figured that too would be missed.

3 hours ago, The Royal We said:

1. No one from the Trump campaign ever had any contact with Russia.

2. Well, someone may have had contact with Russia, but the campaign/Trump didn't know about it.

3. Actually, there was contact, and we knew about it, but there was no "collusion."

4. Even if there was "collusion", it doesn't matter because "collusion" isn't a crime.

5. There may have been "collusion" between the campaign and Russia, but Trump himself wasn't involved.

6. "Collusion" is actually a normal part of any presidential transition, of course we did it!

Look, of course Russia interferes in our elections and operates a massive propaganda campaign designed to divide the US populace against itself and end the era of American dominance. But no one ever proved that a hooker peed on Donald Trump or that Alfa means Alpha, so it’s pretty much a wash and Russia is okay in my book.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Look, of course Russia interferes in our elections and operates a massive propaganda campaign designed to divide the US populace against itself and end the era of American dominance. But no one ever proved that a hooker peed on Donald Trump or that Alfa means Alpha, so it’s pretty much a wash and Russia is okay in my book.

I know this a joke, but there's a big part of me that would love to be friendly with Russia. Its people are awesome and if our governments could ever stop being petulant children we might be able to do business together. There's no reason Russia and the US should be adversaries anymore. But it would be a pipe dream to assume Russia will be anything other than an authoritarian-controlled country. Of course, if they wait around long enough, the US may align with them in the future and they won't have to be enemies anymore. I hope I'm dead by then

Wait, the Christmas Tree was a symbol of Chanukah now?  Can we blame ISIS then?  

The Old Testament is incredibly clear on how to plant, cut, and adorn Douglas Firs at Christmas.  The Douglas Fir was originally native to only certain places of Arimathea where Joseph would select the tallest tree on the snow-covered mountains to prepare for his family.  Burning one down, unless due to faulty Chinese electrical, was considered one of the gravest of sins back in Christ's Day.  

47 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

since the last 10 months of the Reagan admin, democrats and republicans have held the presidency for equal amounts of time.  over that span, the country as a whole has added 44,124,000 jobs.  under republicans, job gains have amounted to 3,786,000.  under democrats job gains have been 40,336,000.*   that's 10 and a half times more!  and democrats are completely unable to communicate that to the public. 

TLDR: republicans are shit at the economy, democrats unable to talk about it.

Edited by elfenix
*this actually slightly undercounts the democrats because FRED hasn't been updated for december 1 of this year, yet
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Or a Michigan fan. 

do they put supporting poles up against the trunk to stabilize such a tall tree for those high winds between buildings?   Because that would make for an epic Festivus Pole.  Tucker and Hannity could fight one another in feats of strength for Rupert’s love 

You would think of the two---conservative and liberal that "liberal" because of it's inherent "openness" would have been the easier canvas on which to project one's own twisted ideology.  But it turns out the one that was supposed to be concretely fixed "conservatism" was the blank palate that clever people exploited  to encourage stupid people to Jackson Pollack on to it their own internal shortcomings and insecurities.  And the guy they pick to lead the movement is one of the least conservative people in the country.  

I guess that's how the thing happened.  20 years of Fox and Rush and then social media...but they couldn't reinvigorate the movement because they kept making the same mistake.  They were trying to stick to a true conservative playbook.  They dumbed it down, but it was still rooted in some modicum of actual conservatism.  But what Trump, Bannon, MAGA movement, Qanon, Cambridge, et. al. figured out in just a matter of months was that you had to erase all of it, and just offer a blank slate onto which stupid people would create their own issues, their own messaging, and their own confirmed biases.  Then you just turn the artwork back around and show it to them, repeating what you see, affirming its superiority, and validating their station as a special and brilliant artist. 

How do you think Trump found so many millions of new voters?  It wasn't a bunch of olds who voted for Reagan and Bush but were sitting things out recently and felt like Rubio and Cruz and Jeb and Huckabee were flaming liberal atheists.  These fucking people don't know who Goldwater or Buckley were, they didn't read Krauthammer or Will, they don't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal or Weekly Standard.  They don't understand classical liberalism or read Locke and Madison in college.  THey weren't fucking conservatives.  But then somebody just said, "Whatever you need modern conservatism should be, I'll make it that.  Whoever you feel is a threat to your beliefs and way of life, that's who the enemy of conservatism is.  Whatever you're angry about, that's what this conservatism will fix.  Whatever you need to feel smart and respected and HEARD...that's what conservatism will be for you.  All you need to do is pick me and I'll shape the movement and the party to fit your whims...even if it means we have to kick a few 'conservatives' out in the process.  Every great victory requires great sacrifice.  Pick me and we'll shape the future of conservatism AGAIN."  

That was the GOP's prize mistake.  A lack of imagination.   

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whoever you feel is a threat to your beliefs and way of life, that's who the enemy of conservatism is.  Whatever you're angry about, that's what this conservatism will fix.  Whatever you need to feel smart and respected and HEARD...that's what conservatism will be for you

This is it in a nutshell. Well said. 

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

tories figured out that it doesn't matter what their actual policy is a while ago.

Bag on the Conservative Party of Britain all you want.  Call them idiots or fascists or whatever.  And yes, they have a vague policy framework more often than not.  But no reasonable person can say that leaders like Cameron and May and Boris are stupid.  They are all very bright, very savvy, well read, with high interpersonal and reasoning intelligence.  Our new "conservative" leader, Mr. Trump is none of those things.  I sincerely, politics aside, believe him to be (and there a number of objective metrics to back this up) of average to possibly below-average intelligence.  

What's more, in Britain...they at least preserved one decent stoic tradition from their douchebag hierarchical system.  In the UK, it's still frowned upon to publicly display stupidity.  You can be uneducated, you have various mental shortcomings, just like there.  But unlike here, in the UK...you keep your stupidity to yourself.  You don't speak loudly to subjects in which you are not versed.  You don't celebrate ignorance.  You undercut experts with reason and fact, not anecdote and bullying.  Maybe this trait helps preserve their archaic class system, but we were the same way for centuries in the U.S.  But in the last 6 years, it's become fashionable here.  Even posh, if you will, to broadcast stupidity---even celebrate it.  That's a massive fucking difference between our two nations and our two "conservative" movements.  Ask an average working class Brit who votes Tory and an average working class American who votes Trump the same question about monetary policy, or foreign policy, or Covid, or gay marriage...and even though they very likely agree on all those issues...the Tory voter's explanation of his positions will vary wildly from the Trump voter's explanation.  The Tory fan will be more measured and will punt/hush up if he doesn't have a lot of evidence to back up his beliefs.  The Trumper, if backed into a corner on these policy stances, will simply resort to loudness, stubbornness, and spoonfed talking points.  You know?  Like a fucking child.  

I know.  I listen to the Margaret Hoovers, the Matt Dowds, the Bill McRavens, and Bill Kristols, et. al.  We are men without a country.  Ministers without portfolio.  I cannot afford the luxury of voting/donating for Libertarians anymore.  Although I've supported plenty of Democrats in the past, including finance committee member to Eddie Rodriguez's run for Congress, I can never be a member of that party.  And the GOP isn't a party anymore, it's a screaming contest that would make Yoko Ono point the nose of the plane towards the sea.

It's weird, I never liked belonging to groups.  Avoided memberships and leaderships every chance I got.  But now that I have no political party with which to affiliate, I kinda want one.  It's like when you quit reeking of desperation in high school and stop caring,  you finally get a prom date.  People like Bill Weld, Adam Kitzinger, Liz Cheney, Bob Dole...they're fucking punchlines to FoxNews.  

I think the only available option is to find a true conservative, a classical liberal, someone awash in Vleben and Von Mises and even Arthur Laffer.  Somebody who consumes Buckley like I consume Seinfeld.  And gaslight the fuck out of that person, wind them up like Mark David Chapman on Coke.  And get them to do what we all know needs to happen to have any reasonable chance of ending this stupid fucking nightmare. 

Edited by Lobo

On 12/9/2021 at 1:23 AM, Zepol87 said:

What's gaslighting?

When posters here insist that the trafficking of russiagate nonsense on this board broadly for years just never happened. They claim it is just limited to mueller or the Russia investigation, and try to restrict it to triple horn and Hugo. That’s straight up gaslighting.  

And the beat keeps on. You got people here that jumped all over the story, and some that still want to believe, that Putin placed bounties on the heads of American troops in Afghanistan. A large number of Americans have been primed over the last decade+ by our media and our politicians for conflict with Russia. Many of them ready for a hot war.  Awesome. Let’s just keep huffing the fumes and see where things end up. 

I only became a daily participant in 2020, so I missed the Surly CR Wars of Russiagate. There is definitely a both sides to the Russia disinformation campaign. I don’t know who is ready for a hot war with Russia. I’m sure as shit not. I think it’s reasonable to believe that Russia played the Democrats  with the Steele dossier. I also think it’s reasonable to believe Russia played the Republicans with Trump. However, I do believe there is a difference because of intent as shown by the evidence. Steele got played by Russian disinformation. Did he know it was disinformation? No. Did Hillary know? No. She just wanted dirt. Manafort shared information with a known Russian agent. There was intent. I think there is a difference. There is in the eyes of the law. As I previously mentioned, Tucker carrying water for Putin’s lies is not good. I think you can criticize the warhawks without agreeing with Putin. Shouldn’t Tucker be praising Biden for his diplomacy route? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I may have missed this somewhere else but I just turned on Chris Wallace Fox News show at the end and he announced he is leaving Fox.  I consider him one of the few decent people at that network and he seemed to be somewhat less biased than most.  Maybe this was discussed already as I have been spending way too much time this week in the recruiting forums which isn’t helping my sanity any better than spending time in the cloak room unfortunately.  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

When posters here insist that the trafficking of russiagate nonsense on this board broadly for years just never happened. They claim it is just limited to mueller or the Russia investigation, and try to restrict it to triple horn and Hugo. That’s straight up gaslighting.  

54 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

See, now THAT is gaslighting. Literally no one has claimed that here. 

On 12/8/2021 at 1:39 PM, BrickHorn said:

There are a few posters who went over the top on bizarre rumors back in the Mueller investigation or the early days of the pandemic.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:28 PM, BrickHorn said:

First, you continue to accuse the board collectively of the sins of a small number of posters.

"Few posters back in some very constrained periods", "small number of posters"...is precisely an example of a "poster insisting that the trafficking of russiagate nonsense on this board broadly for years just never happened, constraining to to certain periods/topics, and very small subsets of posters."

Go ahead and develop some board specific search terms for the following examples and share your findings...maybe start with the bounty one. 

On 12/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, Anastasis said:

Right right right. I know, shit like Cohen to Prague, Alfa Bank v1, v2, and v3, Bounties on American troops, the Dossier is Gospel, Manafort at the Embassy, etc ad infinitum never happened here, or if they did were limited to triplehorn and Hugo (I hope the former is doing ok btw).  It's not like there are searchable threads littered with that nonsense. Y'all are straight up gaslighting. But see if you sniff any of this shit out as bullshit misinformation and propaganda, you are pro-Russian imperialism, so that's totally cool.  

Edited by Anastasis

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I may have missed this somewhere else but I just turned on Chris Wallace Fox News show at the end and he announced he is leaving Fox.  I consider him one of the few decent people at that network and he seemed to be somewhat less biased than most.  Maybe this was discussed already as I have been spending way too much time this week in the recruiting forums which isn’t helping my sanity any better than spending time in the cloak room unfortunately.  

Wow, he maybe the last sane person there.  I could swear he had a long contract with them as well.

Russian bounties became a public story 6 months before the election that even Pompeo addressed with Lagrov at the time. The Biden admin said it was inconclusive when it proved to be. Pompeo acting on that information when it was included in intelligence briefings from 2019 doesn’t make this as much as HR as you think it is.

Is that gaslighting?

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Russian bounties became a public story 6 months before the election that even Pompeo addressed with Lagrov at the time. The Biden admin said it was inconclusive when it proved to be. Pompeo acting on that information when it was included in intelligence briefings from 2019 doesn’t make this as much as HR as you think it is.

Is that gaslighting?

Just one more of the many examples of the media-stoked russiagate fevers cycled on this board. People ran with it here for months.  You could probably flush out a few who still want to believe if you tried hard enough and they were honest.    

50 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Cavuto has his moments but Wallace going to CNN is good news.  Wonder if he takes Cuomo’s spot or does Smerconish keep it? 

CNN has some streaming service they are launching, and Wallace is going to be one of the flagship shows or something, and he basically gets to choose who he wants to interview.

• Like 1