2019 MLB thread

spystud13

33 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah the astros are winning the world series.

They're prohibitive favorites at this point.  Great lineup that got better with Yordan, good bullpen, and now three ace starters.  The few weak links on the roster won't see the field in the playoffs.  Yuli Gurriel is the hottest guy in baseball and he hits 7th now that guys are getting healthy.  Buckle up, MLB.

Edited by TexArcher

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yep. Should win it. If don't it will be an epic letdown.

Whoever beats Stros in 7 game series with those 3 bosses pitching definitely will deserve and earn that shit

It’s the 5 game series where they will be most vulnerable. Greinke lost both his starts against the Mets in 2015 in the NLDS too

1 minute ago, TheFlagship said:

Cleveland for example could pitch Clevinger in a wild card game and then still line up Kluber-Bieber-Clev-Carrasco in an ALDS. They would still be heavy underdogs, but winning three games is a lot easier than four.

Carrasco has leukemia.  He may not pitch again this year.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Oh, and the Indians' lineup sucks.  Other than that, it's a good match-up.

But yes, the 5-gamer will scare me the most regardless of the opponent, just because a shorter series has more variance, and it'll take variance for anybody to beat Houston.

Astros are 6-1 in the ALDS the last two years so we got that going for us.

47 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Cleveland for example could pitch Clevinger in a wild card game and then still line up Kluber-Bieber-Clev-Carrasco in an ALDS. They would still be heavy underdogs, but winning three games is a lot easier than four.

And we need to see what kluber is when he comes back.

10 hours ago, thestud said:

I haven’t had a Tony Eusebio sighting since N64’s Ken Griffey Jr. MLB.

I’ve told this anecdote on Shag/Surl multiple times but I’ll tell it again because it always made me laugh.  My granddad and Drayton were very close friends. I was sitting there with them at a game once in the late 90s and overheard Drayton tell my granddad that they had absolutely no idea how old Tony Eusebio was.  

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

They're prohibitive favorites at this point.  Great lineup that got better with Yordan, good bullpen, and now three ace starters.  The few weak links on the roster won't see the field in the playoffs.  Yuli Gurriel is the hottest guy in baseball and he hits 7th now that guys are getting healthy.  Buckle up, MLB.

I’m a diehard stros fan.  But a prohibitive favorite for a World Series still has a 75 percent chance of not winning.  It’s baseball. Shit happens.  

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Ryu goes 6 scoreless to lower his ERA to a ridiculous 1.66.  Nuts.  A Ryu, Kershaw, Buehler 1-2-3 is not far off Verlander, Cole, Greinke.  Not far at all.

But then there’s that whole Kershaw in the postseason thing...

I’m joking. Or maybe I’m not lol

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Ryu goes 6 scoreless to lower his ERA to a ridiculous 1.66.  Nuts.  A Ryu, Kershaw, Buehler 1-2-3 is not far off Verlander, Cole, Greinke.  Not far at all.

You’re going through the 5 stages of grief and are at bargaining. My Dodgers fan cousin still is at anger. Boy he is pissed off at the Rockets and Astros :)

• Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You’re going through the 5 stages of grief and are at bargaining. My Dodgers fan cousin still is at anger. Boy he is pissed off at the Rockets and Astros :)

He's probably more pissed off about being related to you.

Now go back to Cloak Room or wherever it is that you regularly infect with your stupidity and leave this awesome subforum be.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

He's probably more pissed off about being related to you.

Now go back to Cloak Room or wherever it is that you regularly infect with your stupidity and leave this awesome subforum be.

Don’t fucking CR the regular boards asshole. Bitch move to neg me 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

17 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Hahaha. Yes. My cousin in LA is fuming too. God I love being an Astros fan.

You’re another one of those lifelong Astros fans since 2015 I imagine?

I was pissed yesterday, but today is a new day. October is a different ballgame. Verlander & Cole will be nightmares to face in the postseason, but Greinke is different. He’s a choke artist & cant handle the spotlight, as his playoff ERA attests to. YankeeMagic will eat that dude alive if they face off.

• Like 2

I mean, I don’t think it would shock anyone if the dodgers beat the Astros in a 7 game series. Or it shouldn’t. I just like poking at Bruin because he was on a high horse for most of the season and he can take a “punch” without going full on rage mode like some other people that post regularly in this thread.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Fangraphs has the Dodgers with a 20% chance to win it all. Astros are like 24%.  And yes, the Dodgers top 3 are elite.

Dodgers defense is too sketchy to win it all imo. i believe they lead the majors in errors. i'd be interested to find out the defensive rankings of former champions, as i imagine that LAD are probably behind most/all recent champions in most/all major defensive stats. in the postseason where every single run counts and there's a bunch of tight games with a lot on the line, i don't like a team that's poor defensively. 

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Not really.  We have had the best starting staff in baseball all season.  And I think it holds up well in the playoffs.  But the bullpen...that's a different animal all together.  Jansen isn't nearly the closer he has been, and the rest of the bully is is marginal.  We will be able to move a couple of pieces to the pen from the starting rotation (Maeda, Stripling, Urias) that should help, but Vasquez would have been nice.

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Not really.  We have had the best starting staff in baseball all season.  And I think it holds up well in the playoffs.  But the bullpen...that's a different animal all together.  Jansen isn't nearly the closer he has been, and the rest of the bully is is marginal.  We will be able to move a couple of pieces to the pen from the starting rotation (Maeda, Stripling, Urias) that should help, but Vasquez would have been nice.

No doubt the Dodgers are going to be tough as fuck to beat. I was just having a little fun. We were very fortunate to win in 2017. The Dodgers are stacked.

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I was pissed yesterday, but today is a new day. October is a different ballgame. Verlander & Cole will be nightmares to face in the postseason, but Greinke is different. He’s a choke artist & cant handle the spotlight, as his playoff ERA attests to. YankeeMagic will eat that dude alive if they face off.

Same thing was said about Price last year. And Greinke is 2-0 vs the Yankees this year w 14 k's in 12.2 innings pitched with 3 runs given up.

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I guess they just decided not to use that YankeeMagic whenever they faced Houston in the playoffs before. Awfully considerate.

Edited by formermav43

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Dodgers defense is too sketchy to win it all imo. i believe they lead the majors in errors. i'd be interested to find out the defensive rankings of former champions, as i imagine that LAD are probably behind most/all recent champions in most/all major defensive stats. in the postseason where every single run counts and there's a bunch of tight games with a lot on the line, i don't like a team that's poor defensively. 

I agree it is a major issue.  But I wouldn't say it would be the thing that loses it for us.  We have been experimenting with a lot of players at positions they've never played (like Joc at 1st) because we have the luxury of a 15 game division lead where we can try things.  So it may be a little skewed.  But it is probably the other chink in the armor after the bullpen.

12 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I guess they just decided not to use that YankeeMagic whenever they faced Houston in the playoffs before. Awfully considerate.

The Yankees went 6-0 at home that postseason. It’s why clinching home field advantage is going to be yuge. Despite their recent slide NY is still neck and neck with Houston for it.