Texas Tech vs Virginia: 2019 NCAA Championhship

Vic Mackey

Just now, Juke_Em said:

Basketball gods just stick to their trends. The college basketball champions are usually a blue blood program (UNC, Duke, UConn) or at least a basketball school like Villanova. This year was the outlier but UVA is still from a powerhouse basketball conference. 

Still a new winner, first time since '06 (Florida) we've had one of those.

2 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Basketball gods just stick to their trends. The college basketball champions are usually a blue blood program (UNC, Duke, UConn) or at least a basketball school like Villanova. This year was the outlier but UVA is still from a powerhouse basketball conference. 

don't say gods...

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

Congrats on a great season Tech. Was pulling for you guys. Game was a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Congrats to the Hoos. Awesome year. 

That said, we comin for the Ship next year and hope we get a shot at both TTU and UVA. 

You talking about football or baseball?

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Are you an alum?

No, VCU undergrad,  but always a supporter of a state program. I've been a Hoos basketball fan since the mid 70's. This is one the few national championships for a D1 program in the state of Va.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

Congrats on a great season Tech. Was pulling for you guys. Game was a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Congrats to the Hoos. Awesome year. 
That said, we comin for the Ship next year and hope we get a shot at both TTU and UVA. 
Another weird fapper.

I normally like tradition and resist change, but One Shining Moment is lame.  I want them to show the same clips but with the old NBA on NBC theme.  That way I can still be nostalgic without listening to something so cringeworthy.

It was bad when they started It in 1992.

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

You talking about football or baseball?

I'm a guest here. I am a MSU grad. I am looking forward to avenging our loss to a great TTU hoops team. Honestly I have nothing but good shit to say about Beard and that team. But we've got some unfinished business. And bring it in football, too. ;)

Baseball...not so much. 

Honestly great year for the Red Raiders. I'm kind of disappointed they didn't finish. I thought they had it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Thought Virginia played really well, thought Tech played kinda shitty and the game went to OT, if Culver even played decent Tech wins.

Culver sucking hurts but the real killer is Owens not being able to go effectively. He was crucial to our defense this year. That injury was a real killer.

• Like 1

Simple basketball observation. Tech's D broke down a bit with guys being able to put the ball on the floor and create their own shot. We (MSU) only had Winston and to an extent McQuaid who could do that. Everyone else is a straight post or spot up guy. Henry I guess is in between. But the difference between how UVA could spread the court tonight and create separation vs. what MSU was able to do on Saturday was night and day. 

2 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Simple basketball observation. Tech's D broke down a bit with guys being able to put the ball on the floor and create their own shot. We (MSU) only had Winston and to an extent McQuaid who could do that. Everyone else is a straight post or spot up guy. Henry I guess is in between. But the difference between how UVA could spread the court tonight and create separation vs. what MSU was able to do on Saturday was night and day. 

And our rim protector barely able to play.

1 minute ago, PatSolitanojr said:

The fact that Beard wasn’t wiling to bench this guy after having a straight ass final four performance was pathetic. Almost as pathetic as the in bound play coming out of a timeout to win the national championship. 

That was really bad. 

10 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

And our rim protector barely able to play.

This is absolutely fair. 

I don't know guys I'm not trying to play Pete Newell on you all but you don't put Culver on the bench. Ever. 

I would agree that the last play in regulation was a terrible design. I was looking for Moretti to come off of a screen above the arc. Big picture, though. Beard was amazing. Don't pick nits. Beard scrapped that team to the brink of a national title. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

The fact that Beard wasn’t wiling to bench this guy after having a straight ass final four performance was pathetic. Almost as pathetic as the in bound play coming out of a timeout to win the national championship. 

I want no part of Beard at Texas after watching his coaching under pressure. 

Thar inbounds play was Rick Barnes at his worst. 

Edited by Girdwood
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Girdwood said:

Are you serious ?  He lost to the no1 ranked Hoos who lost only 3 games this season. He had them right there.  You have a serious disconnect with reality if you think this guy shit the bed.  They had the game, and would have won had just one or two shots fallen for them.

He beat MSU, a team with the most top 100 ranked players in the tournament.  Exactly who is good enough to coach your team ?  Cause there ain't a coach out there who hasn't lost a big game.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Girdwood said:

Thar inbounds play was Rick Barnes at his worst. 

This is silly. He drew up a play for his stud to find his own shot. It didn't work. There are about 345 teams that could do worse than Beard (then again I thought Shaka would do great things at UT)

Let's see what Tech does next year. I have a feeling they'll be pretty good. Beard is probably not going to be at TTU for long. I hope he stays but his star is bright right now, deservedly so. 

There's lots of foolishness in this thread but I must admit that March Madness has been greatly diminished to me, personally, once Prepuce had a doomlet and caught a real life and could no longer dissect commercials. What can we do to bring that back? I'm all in. 

16 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

This is silly. He drew up a play for his stud to find his own shot. It didn't work. There are about 345 teams that could do worse than Beard (then again I thought Shaka would do great things at UT)

Let's see what Tech does next year. I have a feeling they'll be pretty good. Beard is probably not going to be at TTU for long. I hope he stays but his star is bright right now, deservedly so. 

I don’t doubt that he’s a good coach and I’d take him in a heartbeat over Shaka but if you think that was a good “draw up play” after two time outs you’re crazy. 

3 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

I don’t doubt that he’s a good coach and I’d take him in a heartbeat over Shaka but if you think that was a good “draw up play” after two time outs you’re crazy. 

Didn't say that at all. It was a terrible play design. That doesn't diminish what he's done at all. I'm not a basketball snob. But I've lived and learned enough with some great beat writers and insiders over the years covering Izzo that reading this board makes me feel a little like there are a lot of hot takers here that don't really follow basketball very closely or understand it. 

You take Chris Beard, every single fucking time. Despite the botched play at the end of regulation. A single play does not make a coach in basketball. A system does, a pattern does, an ability to develop players does. I'm on board the Chris Beard train. 

5 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Didn't say that at all. It was a terrible play design. That doesn't diminish what he's done at all. I'm not a basketball snob. But I've lived and learned enough with some great beat writers and insiders over the years covering Izzo that reading this board makes me feel a little like there are a lot of hot takers here that don't really follow basketball very closely or understand it. 

You take Chris Beard, every single fucking time. Despite the botched play at the end of regulation. A single play does not make a coach in basketball. A system does, a pattern does, an ability to develop players does. I'm on board the Chris Beard train. 

I'm wondering if Beard got too cute. And that was not his original play he wanted after Va called the second timeout. So he tried to play mind games with Va and went with his secondary choice. Either way, his secondary choice should have been something better than that junk.

Still, I will take Beard over Shaka right now any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm wondering if Beard got too cute. And that was not his original play he wanted after Va called the second timeout. So he tried to play mind games with Va and went with his secondary choice. Either way, his secondary choice should have been something better than that junk.

Still, I will take Beard over Shaka right now any day of the week.

No shit huh? You felt the need to type that?

Is there a human being on earth, retarded or not, that would rather have Shaka Smart than Chris Beard?

JFC.

• Fuck You 1