2nd Jasper White Supremacist Scheduled to Die Wednesday

Gooby

8 hours ago, futureman said:

not challenging, honestly curious.  if the judge put this in your hands today would y’all have him killed or leave him in prison for life?

100% hoping. 

If it was up to me I would sentence all 4 (3 Jasper guys & SC guy) to life in prison without parole.

I feel like if it was up to you all 3 Jasper guys would be acquitted and the SC guy wouldn't be so lucky. 

• Fuck You 1

SC guy? Who is that?

Kings last communique was interesting, a simple written statement. "Capital punishment. Them without the capital get the punishment." No other last words.

He was probably mad because Dick Deguerin didn't take his case pro bono. Lots of folks locked up that couldn't afford good lawyers.

Here in Beaumont there was special coverage. File footage from 1999 of my FIL with his hand wrapped around King's arm during the perp walk. Comments from my pal Judge Johnny Stevens (who at that time was a special prosecutor assigned to the case by Janet Reno) about the notes passed between the killers in prison where they bragged about their notoriety. No mention but my friend's father was the expert psychiatrist witness for the state in the King trial, Dr. Edward Gripon.

I was living in San Antonio at the time so seeing all this revisited for the first time has been interesting. Makes me wish I drove up to Huntsville to see the circus.

Yesterday I read a book - Hate Crime - by Joyce King- about the investigation and trials. Very moving account from a black news reporter assigned to cover the whole thing.

Thank God no white supremacist assholes showed up at Huntsville or Jasper.

• Like 1

If we're really playing Armchair Emperor, I'd abolish the death penalty except in cases involving a mass shooting or spree killing (I'll define it as killing at least 3 people). No exceptions for people with mental illness or incapacities, because they've demonstrated they're willing and capable of harming random members of the public. Once convicted they get a stay of execution of 10 years.

However, once year 10 hits they enter their "5 year execution window". No execution date or time specified. So at any time on any day for the next 5 years, they could be pulled from their cell and executed with no prior warning at all. Executions would be carried out on some patch of grass in the prison yard, done with a .40 bullet to the back of their head. Strapping someone down and injecting them with poison, strapping them to a chair and electrocuting them, or hanging them all seemed super barbaric and inhumane to me. No idea why we went away from the quickest execution method possible. 

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If we're really playing Armchair Emperor, I'd abolish the death penalty except in cases involving a mass shooting or spree killing (I'll define it as killing at least 3 people). No exceptions for people with mental illness or incapacities, because they've demonstrated they're willing and capable of harming random members of the public. Once convicted they get a stay of execution of 10 years.

However, once year 10 hits they enter their "5 year execution window". No execution date or time specified. So at any time on any day for the next 5 years, they could be pulled from their cell and executed with no prior warning at all. Executions would be carried out on some patch of grass in the prison yard, done with a .40 bullet to the back of their head. Strapping someone down and injecting them with poison, strapping them to a chair and electrocuting them, or hanging them all seemed super barbaric and inhumane to me. No idea why we went away from the quickest execution method possible. 

hold the phone.  you’d put a bullet in the head of a retard but you’d let the jasper boys have their three hots and a cot for the rest of their days?  bold position. 

On 4/22/2019 at 12:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

I firmly oppose the death penalty.

But fuckers like this make it REAL hard.

I came here to post this.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

goodbye GIF

...And this.

The sister of the victim wrote that this provides justice, but not closure. I get that.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not talking about for every murder. I’m talking about clear cut cases like this. 

I have my own reasons that go beyond "error rate", but I'd like to know how you'd codify "clear cut".  It's just not possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have my own reasons that go beyond "error rate", but I'd like to know how you'd codify "clear cut".  It's just not possible.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

In this case?  

In the case of some recent mass murderers?

We’re not talking Steven Avery here. 

The problem is that there's no foolproof way to draw the line.

Plenty of people have been convicted on evidence that 100 out of 100 people would say is clear-cut, ironclad proof....only to have it come out later that the medical examiner who testified unequivocally as to the cause of death was wrong as shit (as just one example).  If the evidence is 1) the ME testifying that it is 100% certain that a child died due to a blow to the head that could only have come from someone striking him (it is physically impossible for a fall to cause the injury), 2) the injury happened within 1 hour of the police arriving on scene, and 3) the only person with the child at that time was the suspect, then it's 100% certain that the suspect killed the child.

Except it turns out that the ME's certainty was flat-out wrong.  We now know that injury is consistent with a fall.

We can try to come up with some standard like "it's on video, and 100 people saw it happen live and identified the killer"....but what if only 99 ID him?  Any line we draw is flawed.  Because humans and evidence are flawed.  There is a natural error rate.  It's why the standard of conviction has never been "beyond any possible doubt" -- because nobody would ever be convicted under that standard.

If you accept that the machinery of justice is operated by humans, you have to accept that there is an error rate.  And when it comes to something as grave, and irreversible, as the death penalty, many of us cannot reconcile taking such a step when we know there's a chance we're wrong.

Again, I don't miss this SOB.  Not a bit.  Shit, I smiled when I saw that he was dead.  But that doesn't speak well of me.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’d just like us to use some common sense in effort to spare expense, and spare victim’s families the circus that ensues when these men are kept alive and given a media platform. There is no need for this guy to have seen past 1998. Maybe my edict would apply in a very, very small percentage of murder cases, and I suspect that’s the case. That’s fine. 

Well, if expense is the issue, do away with capital punishment.  Max out at life without parole.  The efforts we go to prosecute and appeal death penalty cases typically cost $1M or more PER CASE than the next step down, depending on state.

I can’t believe it but I agree with jimmyjazz.  and I’m pro death.  but the whole “I’m against the death penalty most of the time but sometimes I guess it’s ok” is the most convoluted heap of shit hollow argument that could be made on the subject.  if you’re against it, you should always be against it.  

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

I am always against it. It is just shit like this that makes it hard to be against the death penalty

well I think they should hang on the courthouse lawn.  but I also think lots of people should.  evil is evil.  their crime is not special.  to say it is cheapens the suffering of countless others who have been raped or killed at the hands of madmen.  they all deserve to die.

For all you people talking about a bullet to the head, are you willing to do that?

What it's really boiling down to for me is that a system that imposes death as a punishment assumes a very high moral rectitude.  A very high moral rectitude that seems conspicuously absent from the world today and notably from the US justice system.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I'm glad King is dead and I think it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he clearly committed the crime he died for, but the Cameron Willingham case is the one that gives me the most pause when I consider whether or not we should have the death penalty. I'm not a lawyer but I've read a lot about that case and it looks to me that there was at least enough evidence to not pass the "beyond a shadow of a doubt" test. I think he was executed by mistake, and that's horrifying.

What I don't get in cases like King's is why it takes 21 years. He was convicted and sentenced in 1999. Why did it take so long to carry out his sentence? Is it the appeals process? I understand due process and needing to make sure no stone is unturned when facing an irreversible sentence, but what is it that makes these things drag out forever?

3 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I'm glad King is dead and I think it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he clearly committed the crime he died for, but the Cameron Willingham case is the one that gives me the most pause when I consider whether or not we should have the death penalty. I'm not a lawyer but I've read a lot about that case and it looks to me that there was at least enough evidence to not pass the "beyond a shadow of a doubt" test. I think he was executed by mistake, and that's horrifying.

What I don't get in cases like King's is why it takes 21 years. He was convicted and sentenced in 1999. Why did it take so long to carry out his sentence? Is it the appeals process? I understand due process and needing to make sure no stone is unturned when facing an irreversible sentence, but what is it that makes these things drag out forever?

Yes, it's appeals.  They are almost automatic, whereas they are optional in all other cases.

There is no "beyond a shadow of a doubt," it's just a reasonable doubt.  But that's just the guilt phase.  The punishment or penalty phase, which considers death versus life without parole, and must evaluate whether the defendant represents a future danger to society; only after ruling that "there is a probability that the defendant would commit criminal acts of violence that would constitute a continuing threat to society" will the jury choose the sentence itself, by deciding whether there is "sufficient mitigating circumstance or circumstances to warrant that a sentence of life imprisonment without parole rather than a death sentence be imposed"

It's a complex deal and it has to be.  Because it doesn't get applied just to "open and shut" cases.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Isn’t that what the death penalty is?  

I'm allowing for the argument that execution of a person guilty of the crime for which they were charged is not "murder".  It's a bit tricky, I admit.  At the very least, we should all be able to agree that the "bullet to the back of the head within a month" method is almost surely going to result in innocent people being executed, which is (by definition) "state sanctioned murder".

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm allowing for the argument that execution of a person guilty of the crime for which they were charged is not "murder".  It's a bit tricky, I admit.  At the very least, we should all be able to agree that the "bullet to the back of the head within a month" method is almost surely going to result in innocent people being executed, which is (by definition) "state sanctioned murder".

I agree with you. My wife frequently volunteers to be the one to put a bullet in the back of some criminals head. To which I roll my eyes. 

I take as people venting frustration. I don’t think people are being literal in most cases. 

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, it's appeals.  They are almost automatic, whereas they are optional in all other cases.

There is no "beyond a shadow of a doubt," it's just a reasonable doubt.  But that's just the guilt phase.  The punishment or penalty phase, which considers death versus life without parole, and must evaluate whether the defendant represents a future danger to society; only after ruling that "there is a probability that the defendant would commit criminal acts of violence that would constitute a continuing threat to society" will the jury choose the sentence itself, by deciding whether there is "sufficient mitigating circumstance or circumstances to warrant that a sentence of life imprisonment without parole rather than a death sentence be imposed"

It's a complex deal and it has to be.  Because it doesn't get applied just to "open and shut" cases.

Got it, thank you. 

I have a hard time arguing against the death penalty for people who commits acts of terrorism. Like Anders Breivik. I occasionally catch an article about him, usually around the anniversary of Utoya, and I can't wrap my head around the fact that the guy is still alive. Filing lawsuits to get a platform in court to spout his nonsense and antagonize countless family members of his victims. Inspiring other assholes like the guy in NZ. He is not mentally ill. He's an enemy of the state. He will continue his attempts to disrupt society from behind bars.

I feel strongly that a nation needs to send a message to other jerkoffs that might be considering acting on their terroristic desires. If you essentially wage war on society, you have declared yourself an enemy combatant of said nation. You will be tried, convicted and your card will be pulled. 

Sorry for the rant, I realize it has zero to do with John William King.

Yes. The older I get, the more Old Testament I get. Each of these three and SC killer deserve a bullet in back of head within 7 days of murders. We make things WAY too complicated. 

I’m the opposite. The older I get the more I realize how imperfect our justice system is and how many innocent people have already probably been killed in the name of revenge. Life without parole in my mind is a worse sentence than death and one that can be reversed in cases where it needs to be. Some of these fuckers do try to change my mind though.

We should never make it easy for the state to kill its citizens because eventually when the time comes that the state is the victim we will be the ones executed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m the opposite. The older I get the more I realize how imperfect our justice system is and how many innocent people have already probably been killed in the name of revenge. Life without parole in my mind is a worse sentence than death and one that can be reversed in cases where it needs to be. So of these fuckers do try to change my mind though.

If life without parole is worse than the dp, then why are all those scumbags appealing their death sentence?

Yes, tighten the requirements for proof of guilt and require competent legal representation rather than the usual pro bono pool hacks for the poor.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Execute them in a timely manner by severely limiting the appeals.

This theory would've resulted in about half of the 156 people exonerated from death row since 1973 being executed for something they didn't do.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chooky said:

This theory would've resulted in about half of the 156 people exonerated from death row since 1973 being executed for something they didn't do.

That’s because of two things... incompetent defense lawyers and the ambiguous “reasonable doubt” criteria. Both of which I said needed to be addressed.

49 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That’s because of two things... incompetent defense lawyers and the ambiguous “reasonable doubt” criteria. Both of which I said needed to be addressed.

And unethical DA's working in lockstep with law enforcement to keep the numbers looking good.

• Like 1