Voter Suppression

Pancho

Well, since Manchin and Cinema won’t listen to Nick Saban, maybe they’ll listen to the athletes who will refuse to play in West Virginia and Arizona:

Alabama coach Nick Saban was was among the sports figures from West Virginia to recently write a letter to Sen. Joe Manchin in support of the “Freedom to Vote Act” being debated in the United States Senate.

Saban was joined by Basketball Hall of Famer Jerry West, former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, former NFL quarterback Oliver Luck, and Darryl Talley, who is in the College Football Hall of Fame. 

"We are all certain that democracy is best when voting is open to everyone on a level playing field; the referees are neutral; and at the end of the game the final score is respected and accepted," Saban and the others wrote. "So we are united now in urging Congress to exercise its Constitutional responsibility to enact laws that set national standards for the conduct of Federal elections and for decisions that determine election outcomes."

They really have no floor.  They'll destroy the USA for their personal gain.  Hopefully, in some alternate universe, they fight against instead of standing in front of symbols of oppression and racism.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Whether an individual Republican is a racist or not, there is a political reality that they're seeing a loss of the white majority in America. That demographic change will break down their social and economic ideals. Some (many?) indiividuals may be 0% racist but if they need racist election laws in order to keep their version of America. They will come up with every justification possible to hang onto their power by their fingertips. What's in their favor is that the right will have a strong SCOTUS majority for some time to come. Thanks RBG.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

i don't even fault him anymore for voter suppression, but it was a seriously asshole move by Mitch McConnell to steal my aunt's 1989 reading glasses.  

When Texas was under preclearance. It was required to educate voters about any significant changes to voting procedures. Now, the state can do pretty much what it wants:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/24/texas-vote-by-mail-rejections/

With less than a month left to vote by mail in the March primary election, hundreds of applications for mail-in ballots are being rejected as both Texas voters and local election officials decipher new ID requirements enacted by Republican lawmakers.

But hundreds of applications are being rejected — in many cases because voters appear to not know the new rules. Local election workers themselves are still deciphering the procedures, and say they've been hampered by a paucity of help and information from the Texas secretary of state's office. Meanwhile, the state is scrambling to provide training under the crush of advising counties on implementing a multitude of election changes

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

When Texas was under preclearance. It was required to educate voters about any significant changes to voting procedures. Now, the state can do pretty much what it wants:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/24/texas-vote-by-mail-rejections/

With less than a month left to vote by mail in the March primary election, hundreds of applications for mail-in ballots are being rejected as both Texas voters and local election officials decipher new ID requirements enacted by Republican lawmakers.

But hundreds of applications are being rejected — in many cases because voters appear to not know the new rules. Local election workers themselves are still deciphering the procedures, and say they've been hampered by a paucity of help and information from the Texas secretary of state's office. Meanwhile, the state is scrambling to provide training under the crush of advising counties on implementing a multitude of election changes

this is completely fine /@slorch

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

this is completely fine /@slorch

First off, fuck you.

Second of all, WTF are you talking about with regard to me?

Go chase some Nazis, fuckstick.  Stop making shit up.

Edited by slorch

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

First off, fuck you.

Second of all, WTF are you talking about with regard to me?

They're "stopping the avenues for cheating" like you say you're concerned about! Just congratulating you for your preferred politicians enacting your preferred policy.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They're "stopping the avenues for cheating" like you say you're concerned about! Just congratulating you for your preferred politicians enacting your preferred policy.

Again, fuck you.

Stop making shit up.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Again, fuck you.

Stop making shit up.

SB1 - the bill that is causing these voter registration rejections at never-before-seen levels - was sold as "Relating to election integrity and security, including by preventing fraud in the conduct of elections in this state; increasing criminal penalties; creating criminal offenses." This is the shit you say you want. From the people you voted for.

So, congrats on the implementation of your preferred policy.

I'm not making shit up, I'm pointing out how you're getting exactly what you asked for.

• Like 1

Okay, so why can't Texas offer online voter registration?

"Well, we think it could be compromised by hackers."

Okay, so offer easier mail-in voter registration.  

"Well, there've been a lot of questions about mail-in fraud from 2020, we're not ready yet."

Okay, so make in-person registration less cumbersome.  Have it available at more places, with more staffing, and with more expedited documentation.

"Well, we don't have the resources for that this cycle...what with all the rainy day expenditures from last budget biennium." 

Okay, so you are still paying for this lunch right?"

"Well, we didn't say that either."  

Seems like it’d be easy to cross check SS and DL licenses, you know, so citizens can avail themselves of the vote. Side benefit would be documenting how many fraudulent requests for a ballot there are.

Ain’t gonna learn what you don’t (really) want to know territory. And folks support this while convincing themselves they support every registered citizen’s right to vote? 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Seems like it’d be easy to cross check SS and DL licenses, you know, so citizens can avail themselves of the vote. Side benefit would be documenting how many fraudulent requests for a ballot there are.

Ain’t gonna learn what you don’t (really) want to know territory. And folks support this while convincing themselves they support every registered citizen’s right to vote? 

It was never about ID and licenses and always about disenfranchisement.  If everybody produces ID or a license, then it becomes another obstacle.  Denying people water and organized mass transit via buses/vans to polling stations has not a damn thing to do with ID or voter fraud.  

• Like 2

Chalk up another win for the """election security""" republicans like slorch and sack!

KPRC Houston: ‘I’ve never missed a vote’: 95-year-old World War II Veteran says his mail-in ballot application has been denied twice due to new requirements

HOUSTON – A Harris County man fears new voting laws may prevent him from voting by absentee ballot for the first time in his lifetime.

Kenneth Thompson, 95, has been checking his mail daily in hopes his mail-in ballot is among the pile.

Thompson has been voting since he was 21-years-old, and he even recalls paying a $0.25 poll tax in the 1950′s.

“I’ve been voting many, many years and I’ve never missed a vote,” Thompson said.

Thompson considers voting a duty. He served in the U.S. Army in WWII during the European Theater for the right to vote and other freedoms.

Decades later, the vet fears Texas’ new election law, SB1, could prevent him from voting for the first time in his life.

Per law, Thompson must either provide part of his social security number or his driver’s license number that matches his registration record with the county or state.

“He registered to vote in the 1940′s and they didn’t require that,” said Thompson’s daughter, Delinda Holland.

Since Holland can’t meet the new requirement, his mail-in ballot application was denied twice. The veteran said Harris County election officials never notified him and he had to call to find out both times.

“There’s gonna be a lot of people not gonna vote,” Thompson said. “If I hadn’t have called in about mine, people wouldn’t have known.”

• Rage+1 3

Texas violated voting rights law during redistricting, retiring state GOP senator says in sworn court statement

A three-judge federal panel is hearing arguments in a lawsuit claiming that Texas Republicans violated the Voting Rights Act when they redrew state Senate District 10 in Tarrant County to lessen Black and Hispanic voting power.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/26/texas-redistricting-kel-seliger-redistricting/

Fight over Democrat’s SD-10 in Beverly Powell’s district in Fort Worth. Went from comfortable Democratic seat to solid R.

Seliger is from Amarillo (farmland,ag) but had Midland and Odessa (O&G country) added to his district. Retired rather than fight off primary. Happened bc of a tiff he got in with Dan Patrick’ and staff last session. He was in charge of Senate Redistricting the last go around in 2010. Parting middle finger to the Lt Gov

• Haha 1

Just now, Gourmand said:

Texas violated voting rights law during redistricting, retiring state GOP senator says in sworn court statement

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/26/texas-redistricting-kel-seliger-redistricting/

11 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

A three-judge federal panel is hearing arguments in a lawsuit claiming that Texas Republicans violated the Voting Rights Act when they redrew state Senate District 10 in Tarrant County to lessen Black and Hispanic voting power.

Fight over Democrat’s SD-10 in Beverly Powell’s district in Fort Worth. Went from comfortable Democratic seat to solid R.

Seliger is from Amarillo (farmland,ag) but had Midland and Odessa (O&G country) added to his district. Retired rather than fight off primary. Happened bc of a tiff he got in with Dan Patrick’ and staff last session. He was in charge of Senate Redistricting the last go around in 2010. Parting middle finger to the Lt Gov

Spider-Man Pointing at Spider-Man | Know Your Meme

• Haha 1

Here it is. Un-American Arizona cons putting their playbook into law. 

GOP Lawmaker Pushes Bill to Let Him and His Pals Overturn Elections

In a giant middle finger to democracy, Rep. John Fillmore wants to let the legislature decide whether it will accept election results

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/arizona-republican-democracy-overthrow-eleciton-overhaul-1291352/

• Rage+1 2

Former Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins is probably running for mayor of Houston. Teased an announcement on Twitter. If he goes, he’ll be going against the oldest dinosaur in Texas D politics, John Whitmire. 

For the “Where’s the bench?” crowd crying out for more Dems this should be your guy. Whitmire probably thought he was just gonna waltz in after 63749371525 years in the lege. And I like Whitmire, just bad timing if this comes to fruition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Former Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins is probably running for mayor of Houston. Teased an announcement on Twitter. If he goes, he’ll be going against the oldest dinosaur in Texas D politics, John Whitmire. 

For the “Where’s the bench?” crowd crying out for more Dems this should be your guy. Whitmire probably thought he was just gonna waltz in after 63749371525 years in the lege. And I like Whitmire, just bad timing if this comes to fruition.

I was always surprised that Whitmire's former sister-in-law went off to and did a lot of stuff outside of Texas (although to be fair, Hawaii is far nicer than Houston).  The Ds could have really used her.

It’s become time to finally recognize and to stop pussyfooting around the fact that the Republican Party is a minority party which is hell bent on ending democracy in America and seeks to impose its undemocratic will on the country. This is of course exactly what the nazis did in Germany in the 30s. The playbook is the same with the only difference being is hitler was young and just sort of stupid and trump is old and a complete moron. Also America is a two party state which makes it both easier and more difficult to stop as the stakes are higher if the nazi party can effectively persuade the morons.
Given that we have the knowledge of history and trump is an old moron we actually can win the fight but to do so it requires a recognition of what is actually going on. That’s step number one.
Step number two is the Republican Party cannot ever again be allowed to become the president and in charge of the executive branch until it reforms itself (not bloodily likely) or an alternative Conservative party emerges. I think many of y’all still underestimate the power  of the president which Biden currently has. If the republicans as currently constructed take over the republic it has a 90 percent chance of being doomed forever.
Step number three is to fully prosecute to the maximum extent of the law the perpetrators of the insurrection of January 6, including trump himself. This is vitally important to dissuade the frauds from doing it again.
Although most people don’t realize it we are currently at war for the sake of the republic. And unlike brisket who assumes we are fatally doomed, I don’t yet believe that. 

It’s not doomed but it looks pretty bleak. Remember that it doesn’t matter which party holds the House if the presidency is decided there, it’s who has the most state delegations. Even after 2018 that was still the GOP.

Knowing this, you’re back to relying on GOP statehouses to certify Democratic wins in swing states. If they don’t, every road leads to the GOP state delegations getting to pick the President.

And that’s all assuming Biden or another D wins the election in the first place, which is far from a given.

I’ll be voting for Whitmire’s opponent in the primary on the sole fact that the next session would be 50 years on the lege. Time for new blood. Sure as hell not interested in a mayor of Houston in their mid 70s either.

16 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Not sure what to make of that. First, I think it’s silly for anyone who isn’t a politician and a member of a political party, in office or running for office, to identify themselves as either a Republican or a Democrat. And second, if I’m voting for Democratic candidates, what difference does it make if I’m considered to be a registered Republican by the local elections board (or whatever)? Would that necessarily be a bad thing if I happened to think that the Republicans had gone off the deep end and didn’t represent my interests in any way? So I’m voting for the Democratic candidate. Good. You should record that a registered Republican is voting for the Democratic candidate because the Republican Party is too fucked up.

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That's insane.  Six years?

Also, show this to the "We need to overhaul Lib DA's bullshit bond system!" crowd and watch their heads explode.  I doubt she's a flight risk considering her crime and the fact that...you know...she's already on fucking probation.  But yeah, way to crack down on the truly dangerous criminals among us.  Shit, fooling a parole officer shouldn't be a crime.  They are usually the dumbest person in the room, no matter the room.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's insane.  Six years?

Also, show this to the "We need to overhaul Lib DA's bullshit bond system!" crowd and watch their heads explode.  I doubt she's a flight risk considering her crime and the fact that...you know...she's already on fucking probation.  But yeah, way to crack down on the truly dangerous criminals among us.  Shit, fooling a parole officer shouldn't be a crime.  They are usually the dumbest person in the room, no matter the room.  

What are you talking about? Black people being sent to jail for minor infractions is a feature, not a bug for redhats

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1