Voter Suppression

Pancho

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Do they get to find out which ID they used originally?  Or is it just a crapshoot over and over?

I think they’re given the option to guess the number of jellybeans in a jar…sorta like 2nd tier verification or some such.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, Satchel said:

Headline in New York Times 100 years ago:

FILIBUSTER KILLS ANTI-LYNCHING BILL

The Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill was re-introduced in subsequent sessions of Congress and passed, 230 to 119, by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 26, 1922, but its passage was halted in the Senate by a filibuster by Southern Democrats, who formed a powerful block.

image.gif.02b7ac5731d75cf33fd8e6471368ae89.gif

On 9/4/2021 at 12:58 AM, tx 3 putt said:

i'd bet a paycheck, that more R's than D's use mail in voting 

Once legislatures just overturn any voting results and declare random psychotic Republicans your new representatives it won't matter anymore anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

The Texas SOS office and Travis County Clerks office have a fun Twitter slapfight going on rn. The SOS office is upset because Travis Co Clerks office is having a press conference to bring all of this to light, and the SOS office is like “just pick up the phone and call us.”

Hope Travis County is like, "well, stop being dicks then".

Here’s an interesting thought. According to Trump and his minions Vice President Kamala Harris currently has the authority in 2024 to invalidate fraudulently submitted state electors. 
Hmm.

Cool, cool. The GQP wins the house in 2022. The election gets thrown to them. They immediately elect Donald Trump, and declare him awesomest president ever, and he totally should serve for life.

Kamala invalidating the results gives them what they want - an air of legitimacy, as the House does have that power (well, the electing him part).
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool, cool. The GQP wins the house in 2022. The election gets thrown to them. They immediately elect Donald Trump, and declare him awesomest president ever, and he totally should serve for life.

Kamala invalidating the results gives them what they want - an air of legitimacy, as the House does have that power (well, the electing him part).

Not in 2022 brisket. Last time I checked the next presidential election is in 2024.

It’s become time to finally recognize and to stop pussyfooting around the fact that the Republican Party is a minority party which is hell bent on ending democracy in America and seeks to impose its undemocratic will on the country. This is of course exactly what the nazis did in Germany in the 30s. The playbook is the same with the only difference being is hitler was young and just sort of stupid and trump is old and a complete moron. Also America is a two party state which makes it both easier and more difficult to stop as the stakes are higher if the nazi party can effectively persuade the morons.

Given that we have the knowledge of history and trump is an old moron we actually can win the fight but to do so it requires a recognition of what is actually going on. That’s step number one.

Step number two is the Republican Party cannot ever again be allowed to become the president and in charge of the executive branch until it reforms itself (not bloodily likely) or an alternative Conservative party emerges. I think many of y’all still underestimate the power  of the president which Biden currently has. If the republicans as currently constructed take over the republic it has a 90 percent chance of being doomed forever.

Step number three is to fully prosecute to the maximum extent of the law the perpetrators of the insurrection of January 6, including trump himself. This is vitally important to dissuade the frauds from doing it again.

Although most people don’t realize it we are currently at war for the sake of the republic. And unlike brisket who assumes we are fatally doomed, I don’t yet believe that. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Here’s an interesting thought. According to Trump and his minions Vice President Kamala Harris currently has the authority in 2024 to invalidate fraudulently submitted state electors. 

Hmm.

If it goes to the House then each State gets a vote, not each representative. The Republicans currently hold a 26-24 advantage in the House by State. That’s what Trump and his cohorts were counting on in their attempted coup of 2020. They could lose Wyoming where Liz Cheney is the lone rep and still win 25-24.

I don’t know if it’s as cut and dried as that. It would be new territory so who knows exactly how it would play out? But that was the plan. I found this which sheds some doubt on that plan but I don’t know:

http://verdict.justia.com/2020/09/30/no-republicans-cannot-throw-the-presidential-election-into-the-house-so-that-trump-wins

It’s become time to finally recognize and to stop pussyfooting around the fact that the Republican Party is a minority party which is hell bent on ending democracy in America and seeks to impose its undemocratic will on the country. This is of course exactly what the nazis did in Germany in the 30s. The playbook is the same with the only difference being is hitler was young and just sort of stupid and trump is old and a complete moron. Also America is a two party state which makes it both easier and more difficult to stop as the stakes are higher if the nazi party can effectively persuade the morons.
Given that we have the knowledge of history and trump is an old moron we actually can win the fight but to do so it requires a recognition of what is actually going on. That’s step number one.
Step number two is the Republican Party cannot ever again be allowed to become the president and in charge of the executive branch until it reforms itself (not bloodily likely) or an alternative Conservative party emerges. I think many of y’all still underestimate the power  of the president which Biden currently has. If the republicans as currently constructed take over the republic it has a 90 percent chance of being doomed forever.
Step number three is to fully prosecute to the maximum extent of the law the perpetrators of the insurrection of January 6, including trump himself. This is vitally important to dissuade the frauds from doing it again.
Although most people don’t realize it we are currently at war for the sake of the republic. And unlike brisket who assumes we are fatally doomed, I don’t yet believe that. 

You’re spot on. And yes, we’re doomed. Because we can’t even get past step 1, and we never will.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The other thing is that if republican states appoint electors not consistent with the popular vote, there's a pretty large 14th Amendment problem there.

One would think, but Thomas and Alito have reached full hack status and the three trump stooges are still an unknown. 

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

One would think, but Thomas and Alito have reached full hack status and the three trump stooges are still an unknown. 

Yeah, I didn't bring that up because I can only take so much negativity in one swoop.  I have some little remaining confidence in the rule of law.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I didn't bring that up because I can only take so much negativity in one swoop.  I have some little remaining confidence in the rule of law.

Yeah me too but what’s happened after the insurrection with their whitewashing of it has been just as bad as the insurrection itself. The Republican Party has just lost it and I fear the court will as well. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah me too but what’s happened after the insurrection with their whitewashing of it has been just as bad as the insurrection itself. The Republican Party has just lost it and I fear the court will as well. 

Each day that we wake up and it's business as usual with no fallout or repercussions is another step closer to normalization of their attack on Democracy.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Congrats to the republican party of our dogshit state for consistently making it harder for people to vote.

KUT: Texas says supply chain issues have limited the number of voter registration forms it can give out

The Texas Secretary of State’s office is having more trouble than usual getting enough voter registration cards to groups who help Texans register to vote.

Sam Taylor, assistant secretary of state for communications, said supply chain issues have made it harder and more expensive to get paper, which means the Secretary of State's office will be giving out fewer voter registration forms to groups ahead of elections this year.

“We are limited in what we can supply this year, because of the paper shortage and the cost constraints due to the price of paper and the supply of paper,” he said.

Taylor said the Secretary of State’s office has been forced to limit each group to 1,000 to 2,000 registration forms per request. He said this shortage is coming at a time when many groups are seeking out new voter registration forms because of a change in Texas’ voter registration laws created under Senate Bill 1, a controversial voting law that went into effect last month.

“The voter registration application changed this year for one reason: It’s because the legislature decided to increase the penalty for illegal voter registration from a class B misdemeanor to a class A misdemeanor,” he said.

According to Chimene, this is one of the pitfalls of Texas being among the few states in the country that does not have online voter registration. Supply chain issues are not as big of a problem when you can just direct someone to a website.

She’s also worried about the message this sends to newly naturalized citizens, which she said have been under particular scrutiny by the Secretary of State’s office recently. Chimene said the League is worried that newly naturalized, eligible voters are being targeted by the state's latest focus on potential non-citizen voters.

“We are concerned about it, and we are looking into it,” Chimene said. “It just sort all goes together: not providing the service they are supposed be providing to the citizens of Texas.”

• Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Great job Texas R's, that's a RED county 

Right--I don't think it matters, it'll go red no matter what. They know that, they've thought it through. Olds and rurals everywhere will be able to get their votes in, in sufficient numbers regardless.  What's happening unchecked is catastrophic for the majority of Texans who live in urban/suburban places, in terms of having a representative vote.

• Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Congrats to the republican party of our dogshit state for consistently making it harder for people to vote.

KUT: Texas says supply chain issues have limited the number of voter registration forms it can give out

The Texas Secretary of State’s office is having more trouble than usual getting enough voter registration cards to groups who help Texans register to vote.

Sam Taylor, assistant secretary of state for communications, said supply chain issues have made it harder and more expensive to get paper, which means the Secretary of State's office will be giving out fewer voter registration forms to groups ahead of elections this year.

“We are limited in what we can supply this year, because of the paper shortage and the cost constraints due to the price of paper and the supply of paper,” he said.

Taylor said the Secretary of State’s office has been forced to limit each group to 1,000 to 2,000 registration forms per request. He said this shortage is coming at a time when many groups are seeking out new voter registration forms because of a change in Texas’ voter registration laws created under Senate Bill 1, a controversial voting law that went into effect last month.

“The voter registration application changed this year for one reason: It’s because the legislature decided to increase the penalty for illegal voter registration from a class B misdemeanor to a class A misdemeanor,” he said.

According to Chimene, this is one of the pitfalls of Texas being among the few states in the country that does not have online voter registration. Supply chain issues are not as big of a problem when you can just direct someone to a website.

She’s also worried about the message this sends to newly naturalized citizens, which she said have been under particular scrutiny by the Secretary of State’s office recently. Chimene said the League is worried that newly naturalized, eligible voters are being targeted by the state's latest focus on potential non-citizen voters.

“We are concerned about it, and we are looking into it,” Chimene said. “It just sort all goes together: not providing the service they are supposed be providing to the citizens of Texas.”

Lol, "wE dOn'T hAVe eNOUgh pApEr!!!".

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/348037/Office-Depot-Brand-Copy-And-Print/

>150 cases in stock within 5 miles of 78701. These motherfuckers aren't even pretending to give a fuck anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rural county in GA (voted 70-30 for Trump) taking their ballot locations from 7 to 1 for future elections, or at least that is the plan.  https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/19/politics/poll-closures-rural-lincoln-county-georgia/index.html

On one hand you might think its odd that a heavy GOP county is looking to lower the number of voters but I would bet anything that the more rural voters, who depend on nearby polling locations, are not Trump fans.

There might be legitimate cost concerns about having 7 polling places in a rural county but should we actually consider making it MORE difficult to vote in 2022 than it may have been 50 years ago?

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol wut?  Been a laughing stock compared to Judge Emmett. 

Only to you and people you talk to. She's wildly fucking popular in Harris County. Her approval rating among Democrats in a heavily Democratic county is like 80%. 

Emmet was an institution, and pretty popular at the time, and he still narrowly got beaten by a child who hadn't even turned 30 at the time. And now she's basically a rising democratic star, and has gotten more popular over her term. Yeah, she's a real "laughing stock."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Emmet was an institution, and pretty popular at the time, and he still narrowly got beaten by a child who hadn't even turned 30 at the time.

Yes, how does straight ticket voting work?  Harris county doing great these days, if you’re a criminal not wanting to be held accountable for your actions this decade. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes, how does straight ticket voting work?  Harris county doing great these days, if you’re a criminal not wanting to be held accountable for your actions this decade. 

You’re false equivocating things you don’t like currently with Hidalgo’s popularity. Houston has been a Democratic county for a long fucking time and Emmet was what, the judge for 2 decades? Where was your straight ticket voting then? 

she’s popular. Extremely popular. And probably more popular today than when she was elected. But keep making shit up and insisting it’s a factual statement. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

the county judge doesn't actually run the courts.

harris county got one new criminal district court last year.  the last time it got new criminal district courts was 1985. just another 2 million people added in between. 

there's a lot of backlog caused by harvey fucking shit up in downtown houston and shuttering the criminal courts building (which was a giant piece of shit from the time it opened). 

anyway, lina and the commissioners stepped in to help fix the backlog

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/Commissioners-OK-plan-to-add-judges-to-reduce-16326572.php

Edited by elfenix
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cement said:

All this voter suppression nonsense is just priming the country for refusing to accept the results from the inevitable asskicking when the GOP takes the Democrats behind the woodshed in November.

Enjoy the midterms libs!

Voter suppression nonsense = preventing minorities from voting. Glad to see you are anti-democracy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol wut?  Been a laughing stock compared to Judge Emmett. 

emmett went from 80% ish to less than 50% in one election cycle. He got lazy campaigning and Harvey sunk him. Straight ticket voting had little to do with him being voted out 

27 minutes ago, Cement said:

All this voter suppression nonsense is just priming the country for refusing to accept the results from the inevitable asskicking when the GOP takes the Democrats behind the woodshed in November.

Enjoy the midterms libs!

I realize that this is a difficult concept to grasp, but protecting voting rights is an important issue regardless of who is winning individual elections.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

emmett went from 80% ish to less than 50% in one election cycle. He got lazy campaigning and Harvey sunk him. Straight ticket voting had little to do with him being voted out 

In that vote, every single R judge (I know this role is not same) was replaced with a D.  You can say that’s not straight ticket voting, but it looks an awful lot like straight ticket voting.  I’m glad y’all are impressed with her work.