41 dead in Moscow plane fire, escape slowed by passengers getting their luggage

clapclapclap

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The aircraft landed with full fuel tanks because the crew lost contact with air traffic controllers and decided it was too dangerous to dump fuel over Moscow, Interfax added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48171392

One of the pilots want to chime in on protocols around fuel dumps?

Only used when low on chemtrail fluid or the chemtrail dispenser is inoperative. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Overhead bins were just as packed before they charged. They should charge for carry ons and make checked bags free. That would speed everything up significantly.

Except going to and waiting at baggage claim adds even more time than having almost everyone grab a bag from the overhead.

Oh, you’re speaking about emergency evacuation. I guess I only think of my own convenience. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Forgot what thread was about.

The aircraft landed with full fuel tanks because the crew lost contact with air traffic controllers and decided it was too dangerous to dump fuel over Moscow, Interfax added.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48171392

One of the pilots want to chime in on protocols around fuel dumps?

No actual knowledge here, but thought fuel dump capabilities were a myth on commercial aircraft. Also, that any fuel dispursed would evaporate before hitting the ground.

Locking luggage bins would solve a lot of problems, unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, Underdog said:

LMAO @ that fat fuck wanting a refund just minutes after the crash, special place in Hell for that fuckwad. 

Pretty sure there's a special place in Siberia for him real soon.

37 minutes ago, Underdog said:

LMAO @ that fat fuck wanting a refund just minutes after the crash, special place in Hell for that fuckwad. 

1988 sitting in the theater of a resort in Jamaica. It was the lowest space in the middle of the resort, riding out a class 4 hurricane.  Trees are falling  on the building, glass is being shattered everywhere, power has gone out.  All the guests, and much of the staff are huddled in this one space.

Hotel manager is giving everyone the heads up about the situation.   Thinking  we may have to evacuate depending on storm surge, potential fire or severe wind damage.  Resorts down the road had had injuries, and one fatality from a tree falling. 

Stupid ass Jersey shore type chick pipes up... are we gonna get a refund ??  Everybody kinda turns to to her.. ....manager just stares for a kinda long time, and finally says ma'am we're just trying to make sure we don't have any one of you or our staff hurt or worse (Instead of what he was probably thinking, Jesus Christ you dumb bitch we're in the middle of a class 4 hurricane less than 100 yds from shore, and the building is falling apart in pieces all around us).

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Overhead bins were just as packed before they charged. They should charge for carry ons and make checked bags free. That would speed everything up significantly.

Not a bad idea or just lock the fucking overhead bins until the plane is safely stopped at a gate. Problem solved. 

Also I hope the emergency exit wasn't delayed by people clapping once the plane landed. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Also I hope the emergency exit wasn't delayed by people clapping once the plane landed. 

Love those flights.  Had one a few years back into the DFW during a major storm system that still leaves me a little scarred from white knuckling that mofo. Plane burst out in applause when we stuck the landing. 

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Not a bad idea or just lock the fucking overhead bins until the plane is safely stopped at a gate. Problem solved. 

This would also stop the imbeciles who jump up and start opening the bins the first time the plane comes to a complete stop, because they're too stupid to look out the window and see that we're nowhere near the terminal yet and are stopped for traffic. 

I don’t know about that Russian airplane, but at least some western aircraft have fuel dump capabilities (the 757 does not, the 767 does.)

And I think I recall that if you dump above 6,000’ the fuel will not reach the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Would dumping fuel from an already compromised, on fire airplane, put it at greater risk of catastrophic explosion?   Seems as though it could 

Probably. Except the plane wasn't on fire until it landed hard.

13 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Passengers reported that one particular man is responsible for the death of many passengers as he blocked a bunch of people while wrestling his carry-on out of the overhead.

That guy should have been beaten to death on the tarmac.

Hey man, do you even fucking know how much the nose candy costs these days?  If he doesn't get the entire shipment to Boris, the Russian mob boss, he's gonna be short a few things that won't grow back.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:25 AM, Brisketexan said:

On occasion, we've looked at some odd flight itineraries.  Some of the more affordable flights that come up are on Aeroflot.  My son and I were looking at the options, and both nodded as I checked the box "remove Aeroflot from search."  No.  Fucking.  Way.

I mean, we flew on Ukraine International a couple of years ago, but at least they were flying 737s (old-school, not Max, although we didn't know the issue at the time).  Still...I felt shaky enough about THAT choice.  Aeroflot?  Nope.

Internationally, Aeroflot operates western equipment exclusively.

18 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

I don’t know about that Russian airplane, but at least some western aircraft have fuel dump capabilities (the 757 does not, the 767 does.)

And I think I recall that if you dump above 6,000’ the fuel will not reach the ground.

remember, the 7-5 has the same landing gear as the 7-6, but weighs a lot less.  752 is certified to land at MTOW, thus, no dump facility at all.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

remember, the 7-5 has the same landing gear as the 7-6, but weighs a lot less.  752 is certified to land at MTOW, thus, no dump facility at all.

752 is the honey badger of airliners.  Short field. Hot and high. Across the pond. Over to HI. Land at MTOW. 757 don’t care. 

I think the 767 has bulkier gear. And is also “certified” to land at max takeoff weight. I think the reason it has fuel dump is simply because it carries so much more fuel (160k vice 75k.) And with its much higher normal MLGW (326k vice 198k) dumping simply gives it a chance to land on more runways, at safer approach speeds.

It looks like jet fuel weighs about 6.8 lbs per gallon and currently costs between $4 and $5 per gallon.  A little math tells me that dumping 10,000 lbs of fuel would cost the airline about $6,600.  I would think that any pilot who did that without a damn good reason would end up with a sternly worded letter in his personnel file.

59 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It looks like jet fuel weighs about 6.8 lbs per gallon and currently costs between $4 and $5 per gallon.  A little math tells me that dumping 10,000 lbs of fuel would cost the airline about $6,600.  I would think that any pilot who did that without a damn good reason would end up with a sternly worded letter in his personnel file.

Airlines typically get it for $2.25ish. Still expensive. 

On 5/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, TornACL said:

This would also stop the imbeciles who jump up and start opening the bins the first time the plane comes to a complete stop, because they're too stupid to look out the window and see that we're nowhere near the terminal yet and are stopped for traffic. 

some asshole jumped up just after we'd landed - still on the runway - to start getting his stuff out of the overheads on my flight from shanghai to san francisco last week.  doubt that will make it onto his social credit score.