RIP Dick Tomey

Machinator

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

He and G Robinson really had a lot to do with us winning the ‘05 championship. They don’t get enough credit for the toughness they instilled in our soft culture.

RIP, Coach. 

He does from me.  He and a few others helped Mack shed his propensity for being a pussy for several years.  Tomey and Robinson were the first. 

Tomey also was big into S&C and basically took it over for the defense when he was here.  At least that’s what I was told.  Made them accountable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

He does from me.  He and a few others helped Mack shed his propensity for being a pussy for several years.  Tomey and Robinson were the first. 

Tomey also was big into S&C and basically took it over for the defense when he was here.  At least that’s what I was told.  Made them accountable. 

True.    RIP,  Coach Tomey !

Tomey, long known as a firebrand, joined UT coach Mack Brown’s staff in 2004 in charge of defensive ends along with co-defensive coordinator Greg Robinson. They convinced Brown to start holding Sunday practices, mostly to shake off any cobwebs from Saturday’s game, and then take Mondays off.

Granted, it was only one season, but it was transformational. Tomey helped overhaul UT’s strength and conditioning program and energized the Horns with new ideas for player development. A stronger, more aggressive defense finished 23rd nationally in total defense and 18th in scoring defense.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/05/11/dick-tomey-sparked-one-transformational-year-texas-2004-dies-cancer/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torre said:

True.    RIP,  Coach Tomey !

Tomey, long known as a firebrand, joined UT coach Mack Brown’s staff in 2004 in charge of defensive ends along with co-defensive coordinator Greg Robinson. They convinced Brown to start holding Sunday practices, mostly to shake off any cobwebs from Saturday’s game, and then take Mondays off.

Granted, it was only one season, but it was transformational. Tomey helped overhaul UT’s strength and conditioning program and energized the Horns with new ideas for player development. A stronger, more aggressive defense finished 23rd nationally in total defense and 18th in scoring defense.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/05/11/dick-tomey-sparked-one-transformational-year-texas-2004-dies-cancer/

I knew they were relatively good, but I'd forgotten the defense was that good statistically over the entire year.

44 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

The '94 Fiesta Bowl immediately came to mind because fuck Miami. Also RIP

I searched for 10 minutes for the "29-0" block letter front page of the Arizona Republic but couldn't find it.  I had a roommate that played for Tomey at UCLA and coached for him at Hawaii.  Nothing but respect even before he got to UT.  RIP.