2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Some posters here fail to realize that the US just beat the host nation - one of the heavy favorites - in front of a hostile crowd in what should have been a 2 goal victory. They forced France out of their comfort zone and were able to secure the victory while not winning the time of possession battle.

Stop being pussies saying our team was outplayed.

A lot of people in here don't really watch soccer as far as I can tell and are mainly tuning in for the event. The only time that entire game that it was a bit nervy for the US was for about 8 minutes after France's first goal. I'll take 8 minutes of hand wringing out of 110 in a WC elim game. 

We were the better team. We never trailed. It was only tied for 10ish minutes. We put it away like any world class side would be expected to. 

Look how Spain won the 2010 World Cup before anyone comments about getting lucky or getting outplayed or whatever nonsense there is to come up with. No pictures on the scorecard. 2-1. Next game. See you Tuesday.

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You've been bitch posting this entire match...go take a time out. It's like you're watching soccer for the first time and you're embarrassing yourself.

I call them as I see them.... sorry it bothers you so much. 

The fact that Rapinoe said that France outplayed the U.S. with the ball matched my observations of the match.

Glad USA won..... disappointed by some of their play today.  But USA is moving on!!!!

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

A lot of people in here don't really watch soccer as far as I can tell and are mainly tuning in for the event. The only time that entire game that it was a bit nervy for the US was for about 8 minutes after France's first goal. I'll take 8 minutes of hand wringing out of 110 in a WC elim game. 

We were the better team. We never trailed. It was only tied for 10ish minutes. We put it away like any world class side would be expected to. 

Look how Spain won the 2010 World Cup before anyone comments about getting lucky or getting outplayed or whatever nonsense there is to come up with. No pictures on the scorecard. 2-1. Next game. See you Tuesday.

bullshit.  our style of play is not that of italy in the 90s where it's pack the box and look for counters.  this team has NEVER been about that.  we were pressed not because it was by design, we were pressed because france played better most of the game.  they controled and dictated pace of the game.

we got lucky on a rapinoe cross that scored and the cross by heath, i'm not sure if she spotted rapinoe or it was just a lucky bad pass.  regardless, we made the most of our chances, france didn't

but don't act like the ball control by france was by design on our part.  we were outplayed.

that's like saying the netherlands played better than japan the other day because netherlands won.  we all know that was bullshit.

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

bullshit.  our style of play is not that of italy in the 90s where it's pack the box and look for counters.  this team has NEVER been about that.  we were pressed not because it was by design, we were pressed because france played better most of the game.  they controled and dictated pace of the game.

we got lucky on a rapinoe cross that scored and the cross by heath, i'm not sure if she spotted rapinoe or it was just a lucky bad pass.  regardless, we made the most of our chances, france didn't

but don't act like the ball control by france was by design on our part.  we were outplayed.

that's like saying the netherlands played better than japan the other day because netherlands won.  we all know that was bullshit.

I don't think it was lucky.  I think she was Tobin's target all along.

To say France dominated the match is a matter of opinion (I don't agree, they didn't create much) but undoubtedly the US was poor. A 66 percent pass accuracy is shit at any level of soccer and they found a way to win. That's the difference in the history between these two teams. The USA has found ways to win and France typically finds ways to lose.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I don't think it was lucky.  I think she was Tobin's target all along.

I don't know that she exactly was Tobin's target, but Tobin had her eyes up the whole way and knew she was there and it was more like she knew she had Rapinoe behind Mewis if she couldn't get it to Mewis.

4 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

To say France dominated the match is a matter of opinion (I don't agree, they didn't create much) but undoubtedly the US was poor. A 66 percent pass accuracy is shit at any level of soccer and they found a way to win. That's the difference in the history between these two teams. The USA has found ways to win and France typically finds ways to lose.

Considering we have not beaten France the last three (I think) times we played them, we did a good job of bettering recent history.

1 minute ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I don't know that she exactly was Tobin's target, but Tobin had her eyes up the whole way and knew she was there and it was more like she knew she had Rapinoe behind Mewis if she couldn't get it to Mewis.

That's fair.  

36 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

French chicks look seriously unhappy 

36 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

French men are disappointing. 

Their Gallic laziness combines with their Latinate voluptuousness with the result that they would rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.

it blew my mind that the amazon chick for France stayed in her CB position for the entire 5+ minutes of stoppage time. they should have thrown her forward and started hoofing balls at her as soon as it went past the 90 minute mark. instead she was literally further away from the attack/US goal than any other outfield player for France. And their body language and give-a-shit was awful. It was if they just folded once it hit 90. I was surprised and disappointed by that.

Had to pause the game for work, just caught up.  I definitely think France outplayed us, but not by a huge margin, and it certainly could have been 3-1, plenty of calls like that go the other way.    After a super-physical game against Spain and with less rest than France, I thought we played pretty well overall.  France is good.  This game probably could have been a semi if things break differently in the pools.

I was a little surprised they were just letting France literally knock over our players in the last 5 minutes of gametime and the final 5 minutes (ahem!) of stoppage.  But home cookin' gonna home cook.

Anyway, on to England.  Another team with one more day of rest than we'll get. 

32 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

it blew my mind that the amazon chick for France stayed in her CB position for the entire 5+ minutes of stoppage time. they should have thrown her forward and started hoofing balls at her as soon as it went past the 90 minute mark. instead she was literally further away from the attack/US goal than any other outfield player for France. And their body language and give-a-shit was awful. It was if they just folded once it hit 90. I was surprised and disappointed by that.

I'll bite while I'm here: Since when is France surrendering surprising?

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Anybody make out/lip read what rapinoe yelled to the crowd after her second ?

tenor.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

bullshit.  our style of play is not that of italy in the 90s where it's pack the box and look for counters. 

But that's EXACTLY what they did in the 2nd half.  5 back and 10 behind the ball.  It absolutely smothered France's attempts to play through the midfield.  The turnovers from poor passing created the few good chances France got.

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

This game smells to high heaven. Guessing we are pissed that Spain gave us a close game. I think France will be nervy and not aided by home pitch. Calling a US ass whipping - 4-0 a la Germany/Brazil 2014... 

Germany 4 - 0 Argentina in 2010

Germany scored early, EARLY, and Argentina panicked with Diego as "manager" and felt like they needed to tie it up immediately... and ran their asses off for about 45 to 60 minutes until they were dead tired and Germany sliced them up like pigs before a bbq.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

D-K-aFxU4AAp5k0.jpg:large

CAPTAIN AMERICA

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Lalas chose France--he's the Bill Walton of soccer.  

Red-headed step-child of sports announcing.

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'll bite while I'm here: Since when is France surrendering surprising?

Since their men won the 2018 FIFA World Cup going away, with the only close match being a soundly beaten Argentine squad scoring a late goal to pull within 4-3 and then a last second cross that should have tied it up was knocked wide by an overanxious young Argie who cut in front of a teammate who would have almost certainly scored.

But the match seemed out of hand or about 60+ minutes, so it felt that it was as sound of an ass whipping as their destruction of Croatia in the final.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I was watching Argentina vs Venezuela on Telemundo, so I missed this match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

We fucked France twice tonight.

This is idiotic. Every ether confederation except South America uses an olympic qualifying tournament. South America at least uses their continental tournament (Copa America). To allow non-continental teams to decide participants is just dumb.

Think about this, England qualified, but will be Great Britain at the Olympics, so will be an all star team of England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

I just saw the USWNT’s defender knocking down a French Pass in the box with her arm hanging down in the 86’ and no call...

WOW!

The American girl made no effort to move her arm out of the way, it was straight down, but most definitely not against her body, and turning to look one way while blocking the ball with your away hand should not be a free pass to knock balls down in the box. 

Can’t believe that that wasn’t called.

15 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This is idiotic. Every ether confederation except South America uses an olympic qualifying tournament. South America at least uses their continental tournament (Copa America). To allow non-continental teams to decide participants is just dumb.

Think about this, England qualified, but will be Great Britain at the Olympics, so will be an all star team of England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

and, as someone else mentioned, France misses out on qualifying for the Olympics without losing to a UEFA team in the tournament.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I just saw the USWNT’s defender knocking down a French Pass in the box with her arm hanging down in the 86’ and no call... WOW! The American girl made no effort to move her arm out of the way, it was straight down, but most definitely not against her body, and turning to look one way while blocking the ball with your away hand should not be a free pass to knock balls down in the box.  Can’t believe that that wasn’t called.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I just saw the USWNT’s defender knocking down a French Pass in the box with her arm hanging down in the 86’ and no call...

WOW!

The American girl made no effort to move her arm out of the way, it was straight down, but most definitely not against her body, and turning to look one way while blocking the ball with your away hand should not be a free pass to knock balls down in the box. 

C’mon. The ball was a rocket from inside 10 feet, and she didn’t stick her arm out. It’s not like it was missed, it was seen and decided to not be a foul.  

Or more succinctly, no era penal. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

WOW!

Yeah, I agree with the ref. That is a good no call. She didn’t stick her arm out and that was no time to move. It was kicked into her arm.

Reading the postgame postmortem conjures a rewind back to the '02 men's quarterfinal against Germany.   Donovan terrorized Khan for an hour, but the germans got the Hugh Dallas / Torsten Frings call, and although we played an incredible game, we lost 0-1 because that's what Germany does.

The US Women just win.  Somehow, they just do it.  It's what they do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, I agree with the ref. That is a good no call. She didn’t stick her arm out and that was no time to move. It was kicked into her arm.

Yup, when it' not a part of the game-- at all-- it shouldn't get called. No matter how desperately the home crowd wants it. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It seemed like she kept her arm very stiff so that any ball that hit it would bounce back, rather than through.

It just seemed like one of those intentional things that players can usually get away with.

If I had actually been watching the women's game rather than Copa America, I would have commented on it then, but I was watching men play soccer, so my comments come late.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

It seemed like she kept her arm very stiff so that any ball that hit it would bounce back, rather than through.

It just seemed like one of those intentional things that players can usually get away with.

If I had actually been watching the women's game rather than Copa America, I would have commented on it then, but I was watching men play soccer, so my comments come late.

She was in the process of turning her body while her arm was out - she definitely had no idea that the ball would be kicked into her, just bracing for possible impact. Don't go with what it seems like - look at the actual play. The ball was kicked into the defender's arm, which was down and in a natural position (it's not natural to move with one's arms glued to the side of one's body), while she was turning away from the defender. It's incidental.

Wrong on all counts especially watching Copa America over the USWNT. Shame!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Maybe it's the heat, but I don't see Germany having an issue with either Italy or the Dutch.

Miedema is a killer in front of goal so that gives the dutch a small shot, but they haven't created anything in the run of play in the KO stage. If they can defend like hell and counter maybe they can pull the upset, but yeah, the bracket is super unbalanced. 

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Uh, no.  They never compete as GB in the Olympics. I believe you mean UK.

• Like 1