Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

43 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I’ve been wanting to try making Tahdig, so last night was the night. Girlfriend had a TikTok recipe for some middle eastern-ish chicken thighs, so she made those and a little cucumber salad. I’m sure someone’s Persian grandmother could tell me the 10 things I did wrong, but I thought the Tahdig turned out pretty damn good. 
IMG_5788.thumb.jpeg.1ca58cd3ed498fbac2e462d319a4591b.jpeg

IMG_5789.thumb.jpeg.b27c203c557a076d2a281fd38f7e142d.jpeg

IMG_5791.thumb.jpeg.9800dff051cc2d474b5dbb06a574a6ee.jpeg

Tahdig is the greatest 

• Hook 'Em 3

Had some garbanzos, pureed tomatoes, and some good saffron. Picked up a little fresh spinach, started with shallots, some bell pepper, and garlic, then worked in the rest and made a Spanish-inspired garbanzo stew.

97ea40fd33ffb4c3a648d5f3511d7df8.jpg

Fuck that looks good… some chorizo and buttered, toasted bread on the side and I’d be headed for a very satisfied nap.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fuck that looks good… some chorizo and buttered, toasted bread on the side and I’d be headed for a very satisfied nap.

Funny you suggest that…I finely diced some Spanish chorizo and a bit of parsley to top it with, and served it with toasted sourdough. It was amazing. And so easy. I actually have a lot of saffron I need to use more often.
  • Like 1

Funny you suggest that…I finely diced some Spanish chorizo and a bit of parsley to top it with, and served it with toasted sourdough. It was amazing. And so easy. I actually have a lot of saffron I need to use more often.

Same… the best stuff I brought back from Spain and Turkey is starting to dry out, I just have so many spices is hard to keep top of mind.

Same… the best stuff I brought back from Spain and Turkey is starting to dry out, I just have so many spices is hard to keep top of mind.

Just finished the saffron the wife brought back from her study trip to Turkey, but just cracked open the big batch her uncle brought back from Spain (he passed away a couple of years ago, I inherited it - yeah, saffron gets inherited). It was well-sealed, was so aromatic when I cracked it open.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I need to get in this thread more now that it's the off season. And just in general.

Sometimes when I've got no ideas for lunch, I'll make potato, egg and cheese tacos. Dice up a yellow tater, rinse it three times, nuke for 3 minutes, then fry it lightly in butter with paprika, black pepper and salt. Pour in green chile sauce, let it simmer until it's no longer wet (about 30 seconds). Crack in two eggs, cook em, add a little cheese until the cheese is soft and melted, put it all back in the same bowl I microwave the taters in. Reduce heat to low and cook two tortillas (I now only ever buy uncooked tortillas) on one side. Fill em up on the cooked side, return to low heat to toast the outside of the tortillas. Serve and enjoy your heart attack.

But lately I was adding lots of cheddar. Enough that the oil was separating and making things way too greasy. And then I had inspiration... what if I put the cheese in FIRST? toast the cheese, and then fry the taters in the separated cheese grease, and get toasty yummy cheddar?

Well, I tried it yesterday and my fellow Surls, I think I'm into something here.

I gotta work on the technique, I think. The flavor and grease level is the bomb; the toasted cheddar flavor partners up with the green chile flawlessly, and a little crunch in an otherwise squishy taco is awesome. But some of the cheddar ended up tough and chewy. Overall, still a better taco than I'd ever done before, but I think I need to FLIP the potatoes and cheese rather than stir it. We'll see.

Will report back with next attempt.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:33 PM, Party_Taco said:

Couple recent expeditions…

1) Santa Maria style tri-tip, roasted cauliflower and stuffed peppers

b24011bbcdd2ac5f5f4391161a97b2ed.jpg
bca4c6d7f05ff8e016fe6a1949aded39.jpg
53e05bad37c555bb6a3ceaed0a901715.jpg

2) Bacon Brussel Sprout Pizza with Aleppo honey drizzle

4b654bd8b9823232efc6f784b6b9f6a0.jpg
b9281043c7524e30fde4557e807e3e42.jpg
c2b8f68313f47fb4820d4994a42dd672.jpg

3) Creole Ruby Red Trout with pan fried okra

5f249ff265645d92089b00fe02c9f0c2.jpg
be13e0c1183d897010713ae4c8cc284d.jpg
53b0c05927409db7a70fe221014041cd.jpg
bc01a2713d66fee84fd070a9234c6d47.jpg

I want to eat at your place

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I would crush that right now…

HEB had 7 or 8lb loins on sale.  This was half of an 8lb’er.   Butterfly, salt, roll up and let sit in the fridge dry brining for a couple hours.  Then pulled it out and stuffed it.  I’ve messed up a lot of meat but pork loins and tenderloins are pretty hard to screw up.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

HEB had 7 or 8lb loins on sale.  This was half of an 8lb’er.   Butterfly, salt, roll up and let sit in the fridge dry brining for a couple hours.  Then pulled it out and stuffed it.  I’ve messed up a lot of meat but pork loins and tenderloins are pretty hard to screw up.  

Go on, but slowly, please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

CM had crab on sale, so we indulged…

afc71dab31861db88d28296e954fe87b.jpg
e22ffe02ac18e689f81a3beca5d6bd1f.jpg

First of all, what a fucking outstanding effort. It has never occurred to me to toss some eggs in the boil.  Do they taste substantially different than a normal boiled egg?   Also, are you hiding the andouille sausage underneath the crabs?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

First of all, what a fucking outstanding effort. It has never occurred to me to toss some eggs in the boil.  Do they taste substantially different than a normal boiled egg?   Also, are you hiding the sausage underneath the crabs?

IMG_0001.gif.26d05f642d548aedfd0287206b7c9bc8.gif

32 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Homemade bread bowl or bought?  No judgement just bread bowl curious.  

I don't bake. Bought and then brushed with butter and toasted. La brea rosemary garlic. Pretty good for store bought. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First of all, what a fucking outstanding effort. It has never occurred to me to toss some eggs in the boil.  Do they taste substantially different than a normal boiled egg?   Also, are you hiding the andouille sausage underneath the crabs?

So, this recipe was lifted from YouTube and was a teenager following her mom’s approach. I needed something I could listen to on the second trip to the store and it was the first that popped up.

Southern family, hence the “holy fuck that’s spicy… am I gagging?! I think I’m gagging” butter sauce. Though I found the lack of sausage interesting, the eggs more than made up for it IMO.

Recipe called for them to be boiled separately, so most of the seasoning came with finishing on the platter, but they slammed and made for a tasty compliment.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s orange and habanero salmon on a spinach vinaigrette salad with crispy salmon skin crumbles and side of spinach artichoke dip:

371f5e49d8d79cfa89623ec9e8616adb.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 2

Y’all would drag me for presentation so no pics, but I have a lollipop lamb chop recipe.

- Randall’s lollipop lamb chops. They get theirs from Australia. Very high quality for the price.

- Aldi Mediterranean dressing.

- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Pour the dressing liberally over the chops. Marinate for 72 hours.

- Very hot Lodge skillet for 2 minutes on each side.

- Rest tented for 6 minutes and serve. 

I’d put them up there with Mezza and Del Viste who both serve an outstanding lamb chop in Houston. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

How it started... 

image.png.487852485a227243c10150c5c27d878f.png

How it ended... 

5 hours ago, b_p said:

First time I’ve done one of these.. turned out great. Took about 8 hours at 225-250 to reach 190.  The meat was falling apart tender and full of moisture. I’ll definitely do this again. 

IMG_7787.jpeg

IMG_7791.jpeg

IMG_7801.jpeg

IMG_7805.jpeg

IMG_7808.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, b_p said:

First time I’ve done one of these.. turned out great. Took about 8 hours at 225-250 to reach 190.  The meat was falling apart tender and full of moisture. I’ll definitely do this again. 

IMG_7787.jpeg

IMG_7791.jpeg

IMG_7801.jpeg

IMG_7805.jpeg

IMG_7808.jpeg

Snout down ass up something something Aggies

Edited by HeHateMe
Herpa

Anyone know where I can get boneless, skin-on chicken (thighs or breasts) in Austin?  Yes, I could butcher my own.  I'd rather not.

Yeah….zero idea. Really hard to debone a thigh as a separate piece and keep the skin on; I’ve never done it, and never seen them in the store. It’s not hard to debone a breast and keep the skin on - that really is one that you can easily butcher yourself. I like to debone, brine, then roast hot and fast. It’s like a mini, moist turkey, top with a little gravy, and it’s like a little thanksgiving meal.