Dallas Approves Rainbow Crosswalks to Honor LGBT in Oak Lawn Area

Vic Mackey

Dallas council approves rainbow crosswalks honoring LGBT in Oak Lawn

Cedar-Springs-rainbow-crosswalk-15615888

The Dallas City Council on Wednesday approved the installation of rainbow crosswalks in Dallas's Oak Lawn neighborhood

The rainbow crosswalks will be installed on Cedar Springs Road at intersections from Douglas Avenue to Oak Lawn Avenue, the heart of Dallas’ gay community.

Officials said the rainbows will be a visible symbol of the importance of Oak Lawn in the struggle for gay rights in Texas. Other Texas cities, like Houston and San Antonio, have installed similar crosswalks in recent years.

The GLBT Chamber of Commerce Foundation has raised a large part of the $128,000 to get the project moving.

The rainbow crosswalks were approved by the council as part of a larger street improvement package for the area. Construction should begin in September with completion by early 2020.

8 hours ago, po elvis said:

has google always been rainbow or am i just now noticing it?

8 hours ago, RoundRobin said:

It's based on your search history.  

“Yag si op”?

was it an HF poster that had that sig line? Lulz, think I remember po’s comment to when he saw it eventually (not sure if it was real but damn I’ve been on these boards a long time), “what?! Why do y’ll think I’m gay?!”

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah, while I am good with and actually support such a choice by a city, how much is THAT gonna cost was my first question.

That's some Chicago level pricing on something rathers simple.

Next question, how long before these 128k crosswalks are no longer rainbows and the color fades?

A utility contractor will likely saw them up long before the concrete fades. Carts before horses are standard practice in Dallas.

In Downtown Dallas, intersections are sawed up yearly for infrastructure work. Same will apply in the gayborhood.

53 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They did something similar in Uptown a couple years ago.  I pass by it nearly every day.  Breaks up the monotony of city life:

Crosswalk-Art-Invite-Pic-225x300.jpg

http://www.uptowndallas.net/news-press/crosswalk-art-dazzles-uptown-district/

I love it.  I'd  be for all crosswalks getting dressed up. Let local artists do it for free. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dallas council approves rainbow crosswalks honoring LGBT in Oak Lawn

Cedar-Springs-rainbow-crosswalk-15615888

The Dallas City Council on Wednesday approved the installation of rainbow crosswalks in Dallas's Oak Lawn neighborhood

The rainbow crosswalks will be installed on Cedar Springs Road at intersections from Douglas Avenue to Oak Lawn Avenue, the heart of Dallas’ gay community.

Officials said the rainbows will be a visible symbol of the importance of Oak Lawn in the struggle for gay rights in Texas. Other Texas cities, like Houston and San Antonio, have installed similar crosswalks in recent years.

The GLBT Chamber of Commerce Foundation has raised a large part of the $128,000 to get the project moving.

The rainbow crosswalks were approved by the council as part of a larger street improvement package for the area. Construction should begin in September with completion by early 2020.

City should not paint a damn thing until 

1. They need it

2.  Every dollar over the cost of the basic paint set up should be covered by the private groups. 

Dont waste an extra tax payer dollar on paining the fucking street. 

They do that, paint whatever the fuck you want. 

Dont be like the assholes who want to change the street name Manchaca. 

“We’ve raised $26k. Let’s do it!”

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1