Trump's Trade War

F250

The idea is that because the foreign made goods are more expensive for the consumer, sales will slow.  This will hurt the foreign manufacturer.  Alternatively, it changes the playing field making more expensive options/competitors more attractive, so it might boost domestic competition.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

right. but mexican manufacturers receive the same amount of money, not more. the importer (GM in my example) would pay the tax when their goods cross the border. that goes to the US government, not to the mexican manufacturer. 

so we agree on the second part, my "so, no" was to the mexican first part of your post.

if you bring a carton of cigarettes into hong kong, you'll pay a tax on that carton of cigarettes. you won't turn around and pay philip morris any more. 

does that make sense?

tariffs are taxes on US companies manufacturing elsewhere. if apple gets hit with an iphone tariff on goods made in china, they can either absorb that cost or pass it on to the consumer. foxconn ain't realizing more revenue from our tariffs. 

that's what makes trump's rhetoric on this so fucking maddening. he is completely misrepresenting the whole thing, and i honestly cannot tell if he is doing so intentionally and cynically to mislead his rabble base, or if he genuinely does not understand how these things work.

ok i got it now. 

i was on the front end, but confused about where the money went.  i somehow figured it went to mexican govt/companies, not to our govt.  makes more sense, but still seems like an awfully slow process for someone hoping companies/industries pick up and move back to the states to avoid paying the tax, especially in an election cycle.  especially when targeting people in industrial states who shop at walmart.

and yeah, it seems like the type of move that eventually stunts mexican industries, and puts people out of work, which obviously sends more of them north.

still not completely sure how you fold trade into immigration (especially considering the other issue of central americans making their way through mexico, not just mexicans) but i'm sure trump's got a solid plan for that.

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

The idea is that because the foreign made goods are more expensive for the consumer, sales will slow.  This will hurt the foreign manufacturer.  Alternatively, it changes the playing field making more expensive options/competitors more attractive, so it might boost domestic competition.

If there's one thing that will make Mexicans want to stay in their country, it's a slowing of sales for Mexican manufacturers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bernorange said:

right, but tariffs hurt trade more than they help domestic manufacturers. domestic companies will either take the hit or pass it along.

the beatings will continue until morale improves!

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok i got it now. 

i was on the front end, but confused about where the money went.  i somehow figured it went to mexican govt/companies, not to our govt.  makes more sense, but still seems like an awfully slow process for someone hoping companies/industries pick up and move back to the states to avoid paying the tax, especially in an election cycle.  especially when targeting people in industrial states who shop at walmart.

and yeah, it seems like the type of move that eventually stunts mexican industries, and puts people out of work, which obviously sends more of them north.

still not completely sure how you fold trade into immigration (especially considering the other issue of central americans making their way through mexico, not just mexicans) but i'm sure trump's got a solid plan for that.

well, it's trump, so you can guarantee that it is all lizard brain fueled and not very well thought out. 

he actually thinks this hurts the foreign manufacturers. his rhetoric indicates that he thinks that they pay the tax, not the importer. 

the ultimate rhetorical reason for tariffs would be for domestic companies to bring manufacturing back to the us. trump thinks: steel tariff, pittsburgh industry is gonna be back, baby!

but that's not how it works at all.

• Like 1

in the last season of the west wing (where alan alda ran against jimmy smits for president) the smits/santos side was like:

-hey, great news, we found out vinnick's "america first" campaign tour buses - they're made in canada.

-that's amazing!  wait.  has anyone found out where our buses our made?

-no, but we'll get right on that.

-yeah, good idea.

55 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Hear me out on this one.....what if we teamed up with China, the EU, and Canada and just stopped trading with Merica all together?? That would really fuck them! /Mexican texashammer

you honestly think that text chain isn't happening right now?

52 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

he actually thinks this hurts the foreign manufacturers. his rhetoric indicates that he thinks that they pay the tax, not the importer. 

the ultimate rhetorical reason for tariffs would be for domestic companies to bring manufacturing back to the us. trump thinks: steel tariff, pittsburgh industry is gonna be back, baby!

but that's not how it works at all.

It hurts the foreign manufacturers and hurts the american consumers.  It doesn't matter who directly pays the government.  Taxes distort the supply/demand curve and hurt both sides.

6666b3bf83e049abf6060204789e2ce5.jpg

The fundamental shittacular error in Trump's approach to the planet is this: when you treat every engagement as a zero-sum game, you ensure that literally EVERYONE is your adversary/enemy, and nobody is your ally.

We aren't going to have any allies left when this is all said and done.  And we won't deserve any, either.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WBT said:

It will probably hurt Texas more than any other state too

Our economy benefits from trade with Mexico more than most other states. We will definitely take a majority of the damage. The two Senators and our Governor should be all over this advocating on behalf of Texas. I know they won't but in theory Senators and Governors are supposed to fight for their state, especially if you represent Texas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Our economy benefits from trade with Mexico more than most other states. We will definitely take a majority of the damage. The two Senators and our Governor should be all over this advocating on behalf of Texas. I know they won't but in theory Senators and Governors are supposed to fight for their state, especially if you represent Texas.

And Texas will still vote Trump, regardless of the damage this does, but Michigan and Arizona will be interesting to watch. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep he’s purposefully ruining the country. Project Russian loan forgiveness. 

If only the Constitution had created an equal branch of government that could limit our king's ability to impose tariffs singlehandedly.  Somehow, 88 Senators signed a "please don't do this, King Trump" letter, yet our banana republic Senate completely ignores Corker and Toomey's calls for an actual bill to limit our king's power to levy tariffs.

George Washington is rolling around in his grave.  He probably wants us to dig him up and bury him in an actual federal republic somewhere.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

If only the Constitution had created an equal branch of government that could limit our king's ability to impose tariffs singlehandedly.  Somehow, 88 Senators signed a "please don't do this, King Trump" letter, yet our banana republic Senate completely ignores Corker and Toomey's calls for an actual bill to limit our king's power to levy tariffs.

George Washington is rolling around in his grave.  He probably wants us to dig him up and bury him in an actual federal republic somewhere.

Does a bill like that have to originate in the senate? Why hasn’t the House passed a bill yet addressing this and forcing republicans to allow trump to continue to hurt Americans 

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Fun isn’t it?  And later today, or tomorrow, when he does his next dumbass thing, you won’t be able to tell if it’s a distraction from the new tariffs on Mexico, or the fiasco with North Korea, or just him being an idiot.  

7 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Cornyn just opposed them as well. 

Graham is never leaving Trump's side and will continue to support whatever.

I’m no whip, but they need 5 more votes to be filibuster proof and take back tariff authority for Congress by removing the “national security” loophole that Trump has been exploiting in bad faith? It’s shit economic policy- let’s see if Congress has the balls to put Trump back in his corner. Or maybe they think they can harm Texas economy and jobs with no consequences despite Cornyn seeking re-election. 

Edited by Pig Bellmont

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m no whip, but they need 5 more votes to be filibuster proof and take back tariff authority for Congress by removing the “national security” loophole that Trump has been exploiting in bad faith? It’s shit economic policy- let’s see if Congress has the balls to put Trump back in his corner. Or maybe they think they can harm Texas economy and jobs with no consequences despite Cornyn seeking re-election. 

i've said it multiple times, but what a disappointment cornyn has turned out to be during this administration. he should be leading the charge against the wall, against the tariffs on mexico, and representing texas. shouting from the rooftops, if you will. 

turns out he's a coward.

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Lulz that's exactly what they think they can do, and Texas will still vote Trump and Cornyn. 

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The GOP tolerate his ideas despite any harm they cause. They won't oppose him on something like this. 

4 hours ago, BLKNSTY said:

I might be wrong here, but I think it’s actually the US Company importing the goods who pay the tariffs directly to customs at the port.

Importing company (eg Ford importing car horns from Mexico for its truck assembly plant in Michigan) pays the tariff.

Here is the problem with Mexico for Trump and every other American president.  You have to make a choice.  Do you want to keep American companies from building factories in and moving jobs to Mexico or do you want to curb illegal immigration from Mexico.  You can't do both at the same time.  The more jobs you save in America by keeping companies from relocating to Mexico or basing their manufacturing in Mexico the more jobs Mexico loses.  The more jobs Mexico loses the more people cross the border illegally looking for work here.  The more jobs that get relocated to Mexico the less people you have crossing the border here looking for work but the fewer jobs there are here for Americans.  Pick your poison.

Edited by EMAWesome

11 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Importing company (eg Ford importing car horns from Mexico for its truck assembly plant in Michigan) pays the tariff.

Not that I think this will last long, but if it does, I think we'll start to see companies get creative and move things through third countries.  Worse, they may start to domicile in those countries for tax purposes. 

Plus, there is also another path.  I can think of one trillion dollar industry that has been getting its product across the Mexican border without tariffs for decades.  Print made in the USA on a Stratocaster instead of made in Mexico and send them through the tunnel. 

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I think trump is trying to start another economic depression at this point. Somehow blame the illegals and dems, and try to take over the entire government. 

98-E1238-A-EFBD-488-A-A16-F-6010-DDD7-CC

Live shot of Jimmy at the home office  

57-A79692-31-AD-4-F85-BBDB-D4-BA3-F08-F6

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Here is the problem with Mexico for Trump and every other American president.  You have to make a choice.  Do you want to keep American companies from building factories in and moving jobs to Mexico or do you want to curb illegal immigration from Mexico.  You can't do both at the same time.  The more jobs you save in America by keeping companies from relocating to Mexico or basing their manufacturing in Mexico the more jobs Mexico loses.  The more jobs Mexico loses the more people cross the border illegally looking for work here.  The more jobs that get relocated to Mexico the more the less people you have crossing the border here looking for work but the fewer jobs there are here for Americans.  Pick your poison.

That's the whole problem with punitive economic tactics in the first place. The same thing holds true for Central America. The first thing that crosses Trump's peabrain is to withhold foreign aid to those countries and make them worse off than they already are. 

You are hinting at the solution. If we want to slow illegal immigration we need to help Mexico and Central America become better. 

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Option #3: Putin profits

It's almost like ginning up the tariff trade war is someone else's idea.

This is dumb. Rightly or wrongly, protectionist trade policies have be Trump’s jam since the 1980s.