Trump's Trade War

F250

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

The problem is that the question is ambiguous.

There is a literal answer:  Importers pay the tariff on goods they import, that cost generally gets passed on to consumers

There is a also a big picture answer:  More expensive (imported) goods leads to less of them being imported (whether replaced by goods imported from somewhere else or produced domestically).  Less exported goods from the country targeted by the tariffs hurts them.  They "pay for it" in a bigger picture sense.

In reality though, trade wars lead to currency wars which leads to shooting wars (historically).  So, we all end up paying for it.

Donald+Hiss+Trump.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I doubt that Trump can even recall the reason he started this trade conflict with China.  Now we're fighting over retaliations because of other retaliations.

One of his initial tirades came right after Hope Hicks got grilled by the House Intel Committee.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Trump whines about the Fed being "unfair to him" while raising interest rates. The Fed does something unprecedented since 2008 and lowers rates to help the economy not go into recession. They help Trump with the economy. Then Trump decides to not sit on the good news and instead chooses to poor gas on the trade war by announcing more tariffs on Chinese goods? And then China retaliates. Did I get it all correct?

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

So correct me if I'm wrong. Trump whines about the Fed being "unfair to him" while raising interest rates. The Fed does something unprecedented since 2008 and lowers rates to help the economy not go into recession. They help Trump with the economy. Then Trump decides to not sit on the good news and instead chooses to poor gas on the trade war by announcing more tariffs on Chinese goods? And then China retaliates. Did I get it all correct?

You missed where he chided the Fed for lowering the rates the way they did. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Johnny Sack thinks he's doing a great job.

And thanks to Trumps patriotic rhetoric, there a few less minorities in the country than there were on Thursday, so Johnny Sack can sleep a little easier tonight. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I really hope somebody asks him a question like this, something like "Mr. President, you said awhile back that if the Dow drops 1000 points in two days the President should be impeached immediately. Do you still think so?"

Oh you got him there.  He will say:

"I never said that.  Fake news.""

You can show him the tweet like it matters.

another day. its not shooting war, and thats good. *pets unused nuke and smiles*

i think of it like this. hey, this is like creating small retardo recessions here and there. it just makes the inevitable big one less painful.

pee positive my friends

If someone said "this motherfucker couldn't even spell Dow Jones" they'd be literal. From now on you shouldn't be able to run for any office without completing an equivalency test in front of a proctor. You shouldn't be able to compete in a pie eating contest if you can't spell Dow Jones.

15 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I really hope somebody asks him a question like this, something like "Mr. President, you said awhile back that if the Dow drops 1000 points in two days the President should be impeached immediately. Do you still think so?"

Dow Joans >>> Dow Jones 

jokes on you buddy !

On 8/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, Chooky said:

The longer the trade war goes on the more tariffs applied. Win win! We're making billions and billions! 

That goes completely unchallenged in front of cameras. I have no idea why. Fire is cold and water freezes at a rolling boil. What in the holy fuck is wrong with the press? 

Probably being controlled the same way Mack Brown controlled the local press.

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

He should have his ass kicked for trying to dick with the Fed. There are certain levers that have a sign that says "Keep your fucking hands off!" and the Fed is one of them.

The problem with tariff's is two-fold in the stupidity. 

The only people who think they can win a Tariff war. Are the same folks that think you can kick someone in the balls and they will just grimace and take it... without any response at all.  This is the biggest problem. Which is compounded by the GOP putting party loyalty to Trump above logic and the simplest of math.

Second problem is not understanding that China has levers and MUCH more control over repsonse and management of the conflict.  They can simply buy soy beans from the lucky folks in Brazil, while our small farmers go deeper and deeper into debt.  Even worse what is the incentive for China to shift nearly all of it's soybean purchases back to the US?  Only a fucking moron would put themselves in a position that could again be leveraged against them.  Overall the farmers will lose, because the markets will NEVER EVER fully return, because the US will never again be allowed to be that large of a piece of the pie.

I could go on, but the bottom line is we have a very ineffective and stupid President when it comes to trade.  Lucky for him the folks that support him hardly know anything about trade, but they are learning.  In the end Trump is going to be the reason for a sea of small farms going bankrupt the next few years.  I would say that they deserve it for voting for the moron, but they honestly did not know how stupid Trump was on trade and his inabiility to negotiate anything.  Except perhaps for loans guaranteed by Russians after he lost all his Daddy's fortune...

• Like 1

It’s really annoying when people/pundits/analysts try to make some sense out of trumps insanely stupid trade war. 

The man wants to crash the economy so he can then declare martial law and then become dictator. That’s his plan and he’s said as much himself. The only thing that might save us is he’s a complete dipshit. 

Any further analysis is a complete waste of time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

Second problem is not understanding that China has levers and MUCH more control over repsonse and management of the conflict.  They can simply buy soy beans from the lucky folks in Brazil, while our small farmers go deeper and deeper into debt.  Even worse what is the incentive for China to shift nearly all of it's soybean purchases back to the US?  Only a fucking moron would put themselves in a position that could again be leveraged against them.  Overall the farmers will lose, because the markets will NEVER EVER fully return, because the US will never again be allowed to be that large of a piece of the pie.

I know next to nothing about how that works, but looking at it from my simplistic point of view, it would seem to be the objective is to return to that MAGA ideal of the 40s and 50s wherein many small farmers were sharecroppers and tenant farmers. Big ag wins, small ag loses money and land and never regains it.

13 hours ago, Foosters said:

Holy shit. Wait unti Emmyorid (or whatever that racist fucking coward's name is) hears the news!

I think he's moved on to the "well the Dimms fucked us completely already so we might as well just go full cocaine bender now and enjoy it while it lasts!" stance.  The GOP is a death cult.