Trump's Trade War

F250

38 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Navarro is a fucking moron

He is worse, he is a dogmatic ideologue. Despite his extensive education in economics he insists on influencing the nations economy based on his personal "beliefs".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s remarkable how much Trump can manipulate the day-trader stock market by shadowboxing with China on tariffs.  

Shit ain’t right. 

Tell me about it...I day trade for a living and today is no bueno...mucho no bueno

https://www.newsweek.com/agriculture-secretary-joke-1453914

President Donald Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue cracked a joke that American farmers "whine" about Trump's trade war with China and got laughs as he intended but also boo's from audience members that seemingly found it insensitive.

"I had a farmer tell me this in Pennsylvania," Perdue said at a farm show in Minnesota last Wednesday, according to Agri-Pulse. "He said, 'What do you call two farmers in a basement?' I said 'I don't know, what do you call them?'"

Perdue said the farmer said: "A whine cellar."

There was laughter but boo's came as some members of the crowd did not find Perdue's joke funny, just two days after China declared it would no longer buy any American agricultural products to hit back at Trump for imposing an additional 10 percent tariff on Chinese goods.

It seems to me that Trump's only long shot chance at re-election is a healthy stock market.  He could prop it up if he spends the next 15 months undoing all of this dipshittery but I doubt he's smart or disciplined enough to do so.

5 hours ago, WBT said:

It seems to me that Trump's only long shot chance at re-election is a healthy stock market.  He could prop it up if he spends the next 15 months undoing all of this dipshittery but I doubt he's smart or disciplined enough to do so.

He has had so many chances throughout his entire presidency to have an easy lay up that would have bipartisan support and actually look good.  He has never once taken that shot.  Infrastructure, sensible gun control, whatever.  Nope.  His ego always goes back to his base.  Reptile.  Brain.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

He has had so many chances throughout his entire presidency to have an easy lay up that would have bipartisan support and actually look good.  He has never once taken that shot.  Infrastructure, sensible gun control, whatever.  Nope.  His ego always goes back to his base.  Reptile.  Brain.

This is the real tragedy of Trump and America at this moment in time.  Trump amassed so much political power so quickly, he could have done anything but opted for an agenda of malice and hate instead.

Sad!

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Trump will eventually make the argument that volatility is good for investors, and that only a bad investor isn't earning big bucks in a stock market that rises or drops 1% daily. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

But China is paying the tariffs, why would a delay help the American consumer?

Well, see, the thing is.....are you sitting down?  You probably need to sit down for this.  The thing is.....the administration is 100% lying.  If there was a mathematical way for them to be 200% lying, that would be the case as well.

These are folks who can literally say on Monday that "the Chinese are paying the tariffs, not Americans," and on Tuesday, say "we held off on tariffs so American consumers wouldn't have to pay them."  It's fucking breathtaking.  They say two completely incompatible things, and nobody even bats a fucking eye.  But Johnnysack thinks he's doing a great job.

Just now, NowThis said:

stock market is signalling a recession. Looks like Trump flew too close to the sun, the wax is melting, and he's done. The one monster, Recession, will destroy him. 

Oh, it gets worse.

A recession is bad enough for a president.

A recession for a president who 1) has not a single fucking clue as to how to deal with a recession, and 2) has ALREADY USED several of the stimulus tools one typically keeps in reserve in case of a downturn.....is going to be a fucking disaster.

He has no idea how to fly a plane to begin with.  He's already disabled many of our safety features, and burned a shitload of extra fuel as he put the hammer down....and when we have an in-flight emergency.....all of those things are stacked against us.....and DOTARD has the stick.  Buckle up, bitches.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, it gets worse.

A recession for a president who 1) has not a single fucking clue as to how to deal with a recession, and 2) has ALREADY USED several of the stimulus tools one typically keeps in reserve in case of a downturn.....is going to be a fucking disaster.

He has no idea how to fly a plane to begin with.  He's already disabled many of our safety features, and burned a shitload of extra fuel as he put the hammer down....and when we have an in-flight emergency.....all of those things are stacked against us.....and DOTARD has the stick.  Buckle up, bitches.

And as long as Trump has a parachute and thinks he’ll be safe, he doesn’t give a flying fuck what happens to anybody else. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NowThis said:

stock market is signalling a recession. Looks like Trump flew too close to the sun, the wax is melting, and he's done. The one monster, Recession, will destroy him. 

Apparently this is your first time riding the stock market roller coaster. They will find an excuse to send it right back up tomorrow! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, it gets worse.

28e448676bb1ae8e6aaa73495da16426d26f8be4

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, it gets worse.

giphy.webp

Republican response to the crisis.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

The worst part of all this is that it's completely self inflicted. 

There was absolutely no reason to start a trade war with China...zero, zilch, nada...

But because the buffoon-in-chief has no idea how economics works and his sycophants were too busy sucking his little orange mushroom to put a stop to the insanity, we wind up here.  

The growing global economy was  just one more of the Obama administration's legacies that he had to destroy. 

It will be like Obama was never President...by this time next year (if not much sooner), the global economy will be right back to where it was in Bush's last year in office.

If the recession actually plays out through the end of the year...it will be ugly. The most surprising thing to me is that it took this long to come about.

All Trump did was finally admit that he knows his tarrifs are paid ultimately by US consumers.  

The market is beginning to react to the reality that Global economic growth is becoming a negative number.  When the US is monetarily the biggest beneficiary in the world from global trade it hurts the US economy.  

I'm starting to worry about a 5000 point pull back. Brexit with Boris will be a huge drag on the British economy. Adding more momentum to the negative economic growth number.  The ridiculous deficit numbers produced by "the best economy ever" to quote the President? A drag today and HUGE drag over time.   About all that is really left to determine is how big a hole economically will the GOP have dug the country into again under it's leadership?  Hopefully it won't be as bad as the GOP's handoff in 2008.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, swraith said:

If the recession actually plays out through the end of the year...it will be ugly. The most surprising thing to me is that it took this long to come about.

Which gives testimony to the underlying strength of the economy he inherited.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, 4th&Five said:

Trump: This is the third time you guys promised to buy big from our farmers and haven't done it. You guys aren't playing fair with this trade war.

China: Sorry. We forgot. 

Trump: Can you assure me this time you really will buy big from our farmers?

China: Definitely!  Raugh out Roud!

Trump: It's 'laugh.' Laugh out loud, not raugh.

China: Sorry. 

Trump: So you guys will buy big for real this time? 

China: Yes. We promise! ROR!

28 minutes ago, horn4life said:

All Trump did was finally admit that he knows his tarrifs are paid ultimately by US consumers.  

The market is beginning to react to the reality that Global economic growth is becoming a negative number.  When the US is monetarily the biggest beneficiary in the world from global trade it hurts the US economy.  

I'm starting to worry about a 5000 point pull back. Brexit with Boris will be a huge drag on the British economy. Adding more momentum to the negative economic growth number.  The ridiculous deficit numbers produced by "the best economy ever" to quote the President? A drag today and HUGE drag over time.   About all that is really left to determine is how big a hole economically will the GOP have dug the country into again under it's leadership?  Hopefully it won't be as bad as the GOP's handoff in 2008.

Already looking forward to 2024 Republican campaign ads attacking the imcumbent Democrat president for not pulling us out of the recession quick enough.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Already looking forward to 2024 Republican campaign ads attacking the imcumbent Democrat president for not pulling us out of the recession quick enough.

After forcing said Democrat to significantly reduce the amount of stimulus spending, which would have helped pull us out of the recession more quickly.

• Like 1

This is absolutely where we are.
Fuck us.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't think we'll have to wait that long.  I read on Market Watch that since 1956, the average time between and inverted yield curve and a recession is 15 months...which would be right around the 2020 election.  If Trump and Co. can manage to hang on until after he loses (assuming he loses), he will say, "see what happens to the economy when you elect a Democrat?"

1 minute ago, Chooky said:

Steve Mnuchin is currently trying to explain to the president why you can't "just print more money" or "order the staff to buy a shitload of lettuce and other shit from the farmers" to boost agricultural depression. 

On positive note for Trumpers...the collapse of American agriculture means fewer illegals coming to work in the fields and chicken plants.  

Immigration problem solved.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

On positive note for Trumpers...the collapse of American agriculture means fewer illegals coming to work in the fields and chicken plants.  

Si se puede that motherfuckers!

38 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't think the Chinese owned agriculture companies in the U.S. will stop relying on migrant workers.