Trump's Trade War

F250

Honestly, I want the tariffs to go all the way to 25%. I want 100,000 Texans to lose their livelihood, and 200,000 more to lose enough income to put them into bankruptcy.

We the people don’t respond to facts, logic, or reason. We only respond with our reptilian amygdala. We respond emotionally. We understand pain. That’s about it. So bring the pain. We need to suffer the consequences of our actions. We aren’t going to learn any other way - we have to touch the hot stove. So let’s fucking do it.
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Honestly, I want the tariffs to go all the way to 25%. I want 100,000 Texans to lose their livelihood, and 200,000 more to lose enough income to put them into bankruptcy.

We the people don’t respond to facts, logic, or reason. We only respond with our reptilian amygdala. We respond emotionally. We understand pain. That’s about it. So bring the pain. We need to suffer the consequences of our actions. We aren’t going to learn any other way - we have to touch the hot stove. So let’s fucking do it.

Yep. It's no coincidence that we start to do a bunch of pre WW2 shit right as the last of the people who actually lived through WW2 are dying off. 

It's also no coincidence that this new round of nonsense is spearheaded by a generation that has known almost nothing but prosperity for it's 7 decade history. People just can't stand to have nice things.  We just have to fuck everything up. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-tariffs-wiped-most-families-080000425.html

(Bloomberg) -- President Donald Trump’s trade wars have already wiped out all but $100 of the average American household’s windfall from Trump’s 2017 tax law. And that’s just the beginning.

That last $100 in tax-cut gains could soon completely disappear -- and then some -- because of additional tariffs Trump has announced. If the president makes good on his threats to impose levies on virtually all imports from China and Mexico, those middle-earning households could pay nearly $4,000 more.

Subtract the tax cut, and the average household will effectively be paying about $3,000 more in taxes through additional levies on the products they consume.

“It’s giving with one hand and taking with the other,” said Kim Clausing, an economics professor at Reed College in Portland, Oregon, who has written a book promoting free trade.

Here’s how the math works. Middle earners got an average tax cut of $930, according to the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center. The tariffs already in effect cost the average household about $831, according to research from the New York Federal Reserve.

China Goods

Add in the additional tariffs on another $300 billion in Chinese goods that Trump proposed in May and that increases the cost for the average family of four to about $2,294 annually, according to research from Tariffs Hurt the Heartland, a coalition of business groups that oppose tariffs.

Trump has also threatened to levy tariffs on all imports from Mexico, starting with a 5% tax beginning as soon as Monday that would increase monthly to 25% by October. If the tariffs reach their highest level, that would increase costs for households by $1,700 annually, according to Gary Hufbauer, a senior fellow at the centrist Peterson Institute for International Economics.

The full force of the Chinese and Mexican tariffs and subsequent retaliation would mean that consumers are paying an additional $3,994 because of tariffs, more than four times the $930 tax cut for middle earners that the Republican Party touts as its signature legislative achievement.

The tariffs are "clearly demolishing” the benefits of the tax cuts for both businesses and consumers, said Daniel Ikenson, who directs trade policy at the libertarian Cato Institute. “Many households and consumers have been spared so far, but the next round of tariffs will be more problematic.”

In the beginning of the trade dispute, Trump and his advisers sought to put tariffs on imports that consumers don’t directly buy, such as steel and aluminum. But as the trade feud with China has escalated, they ran out of non-consumer goods on which to put levies. The most recent round of announced tariffs includes consumer products, such as apparel, sporting goods and kitchen ware.

Trump’s most recent threat on all imports from Mexico would increase prices on cars and auto parts, televisions, phones and air conditioners, as well as produce, such as avocados, citrus and pineapples.

Only the top 5% of earners would continue to see a net tax cut of more than 1%, according to the right-leaning Tax Foundation. Tariffs would also depress wages by about 0.5% and result in the loss of nearly 610,000 full-time jobs, according to the foundation.

That creates political problems for Republicans in Congress who have continued to back Trump even as they disagreed with his trade policies. Republicans have cited the passage of the tax-cut law, low unemployment rates and wage increases as signs that Trump’s policies have buoyed the economy. But there are signs that support is beginning to fracture.

The tax cuts “vaulted America back into the most competitive economy,” said Representative Kevin Brady, a Texas Republican who led the passage of the tax cut legislation in the House. “Higher tariffs and the uncertainty that comes with trade disputes" hurt the economy, he said.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell urged the administration this week to delay imposing the tariffs until Republicans in Congress could plead their case to Trump. Most Senate Republicans have objected to Trump’s use of tariffs to force tougher border enforcement by Mexico. Lawmakers are weighing moves to block the levies.

“This is a man-made disaster, because Donald Trump is not focused in any way on advancing a well-thought-out doctrine,” said Representative Hakeem Jeffries, a top Democrat from New York. “He seems to be carrying out at times personal vendettas, at other times political objectives and sometimes an effort to distract from the news of the day.”

Fantastic. Now that Mexico is taking care of the problem, I guess we don't need a border wall. Our great national emergency is finally over. We were lucky to live through it. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) create crisis

2) accept token offering

3) declare victory

Master Blaster runs Bartertown

Mexico is fucking hilarious.....suuuuure Donald, we will put however many troops you want us to put on our southern border. Sure, we will encourage them to stay in Mexico. All good? 

so...mexico, what kind of steps are you taking to curb irregular migration?

um, unprecedented.

ok, sounds good.  what else?

-priority to southern border of mexico.

-mexico will hang onto/process all asylum claims.

this cannot possibly go wrong.  i'm sure the border will not be a shitshow.

22 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Chances Mexico actually tries to implement any of what it agreed to? Less than zero and I'm good with that. Fuck Dotard once again for creating a crisis.

What was the crisis?

13 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Oh. I thought we were talking about the trade war. 

The fucktarded president linked tariffs to legal asylum seekers (where our country then commits child torture in our name) so yes, unfortunately we are talking about the same thing bc trumpkins hold water for a shit stain Of a human being. Religion of peace! Oh wait, how does it work when a trumpkins isn’t calling out all the stupid hateful racist shit that trump does?sadly, it’s normal. So Enjoy it. Revel and bathe in your platform.  See it every time you go to church and hug your loved ones, you support torture. You aren’t condemning him so Cheers! Long live America land of child abuse! 

Sigh... fuck it. This is only a msg board. Nothing here matters, children will still be tortured in our name tonight, tomorrow, and the day after. I’m done with the ineffectual bluster.  Hope some of y’all are better humans in person than you are online. Fucking sad all around that people support child torture just to not admit “team” could have made a mistake.

• Like 1

The fucktarded president linked tariffs to legal asylum seekers (where our country then commits child torture in our name) so yes, unfortunately we are talking about the same thing bc trumpkins hold water for a shit stain Of a human being. Religion of peace! Oh wait, how does it work when a trumpkins isn’t calling out all the stupid hateful racist shit that trump does?sadly, it’s normal. So Enjoy it. Revel and bathe in your platform.  See it every time you go to church and hug your loved ones, you support torture. You aren’t condemning him so Cheers! Long live America land of child abuse! 
Sigh... fuck it. This is only a msg board. Nothing here matters, children will still be tortured in our name tonight, tomorrow, and the day after. I’m done with the ineffectual bluster.  Hope some of y’all are better humans in person than you are online. Fucking sad all around that people support child torture just to not admit “team” could have made a mistake.

Here’s the ugly truth: they didn’t make a mistake. They LIKE this outcome. They LIKE the suffering. Remember, the cruelty is the point.

And as for those folks being “churchgoers,” remember that a great deal of the American religious tradition was created to do things like preserve slavery, segregation, the subjugation of women, and the like. Racism and cruelty IS the brand.

It is the ugly truth. But usually we can gloss over that bc we have a goal of preserving liberty and overall we are the “good guys”. Even if just lip service. Trump tore away that illusion like a bad prom night tux so.. thanks?

so what does the ledge get us besides a good view and bourbon with whisky options?Bystanders by default until a winner is evident? A casual but pc way to say we support drastic regime change without the secret service showing up at our door?  

Fuck it,  nothin here matters but what happens in the real world should. Good luck America, I’ll be here to make mildly snarky and funny (only to me) comments.

We are a country that got fat and lazy and gave control of it to the worst segment of our society. This is what happens when the electorate is indifferent and doesn't give a damn. I still maintain we can do better (and by better I mean getting these racist assholes and their supporters back under the rocks and bridges they came from), but holy hell that light at the end of the tunnel is damn near non-existent right now. 

We are a country that got fat and lazy and gave control of it to the worst segment of our society. This is what happens when the electorate is indifferent and doesn't give a damn. I still maintain we can do better (and by better I mean getting these racist assholes and their supporters back under the rocks and bridges they came from), but holy hell that light at the end of the tunnel is damn near non-existent right now. 

The worst segment of society is the majority of society. We’ve always been evil assholes, we’ve just been real good at lying to ourselves about it.

Jim Crow. Lynchings. Chinese exclusion act. No Irish need apply. Women couldn’t have their own credit until the 1970s. We’re not a shining city on a hill. We’re a mound of shit with some shiny stuff stacked on top as a distraction. Any decency we’ve had is exceptional and/or accidental.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The worst segment of society is the majority of society. We’ve always been evil assholes, we’ve just been real good at lying to ourselves about it.

Jim Crow. Lynchings. Chinese exclusion act. No Irish need apply. Women couldn’t have their own credit until the 1970s. We’re not a shining city on a hill. We’re a mound of shit with some shiny stuff stacked on top as a distraction. Any decency we’ve had is exceptional and/or accidental.

I don't disagree with any of that. The thing is that as marred as our history is by racism and outright violence we are somehow still (or at least were until Dotard took the oath) the country the rest of the world has looked to for leadership. Right now we aren't doing that, at all. 

I run across almost every race and nationality this world has where I work in Manhattan. We are still viewed through the prism as being this amazing country to most of those folks. They see the results of American ingenuity and like it.

The one thing I almost always hear though right now is a universal condemnation of Dotard. The rest of the world is waiting to see how the Americans handle him. I just hope we do the right thing and put his ass on the curb and let the law do its work in NY the moment after he leaves. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"we'll give some land to the niggers and the chinks...but we don't want any Irish"

56 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I run across almost every race and nationality this world has where I work in Manhattan. We are still viewed through the prism as being this amazing country to most of those folks. They see the results of American ingenuity and like it.

The one thing I almost always hear though right now is a universal condemnation of Dotard. The rest of the world is waiting to see how the Americans handle him. 

This is true. Life means we aren’t perfect. There are too many people who suffered under real oppression to let that shit happen here. You welcome all the refugees of oppression and freedom fighters, guess what? They’ll fight you for freedom here. Trump is dumb enough to try to be a banana republic here but I’m confident that we’ll beat his ilk back with reason or blood if it comes to that. 

We are the US motherfucking of A. The world better know we lead the way, cause we are bad ass. Good will triumph over trumps and racists. 

This is true. Life means we aren’t perfect. There are too many people who suffered under real oppression to let that shit happen here. You welcome all the refugees of oppression and freedom fighters, guess what? They’ll fight you for freedom here. Trump is dumb enough to try to be a banana republic here but I’m confident that we’ll beat his ilk back with reason or blood if it comes to that. 
We are the US motherfucking of A. The world better know we lead the way, cause we are bad ass. Good will triumph over trumps and racists. 

Naaah. Evil wins, because evil fights dirty.

The rule of law - pretty essential if you want to do “good” long-term - is an illusion. It is only as viable as the willingness of those in power to follow it. And they ain’t. They revel in their abuses, they laugh at your lib tears.

Evil wins because it is willing to hold, chop block, and gouge your eyes, and they just ignore the ref. Good only wins when it gets down in the mud with evil and fights just as dirty...at which point, it’s no longer good. Heads evil wins, tails decency and humanity lose.

Those are the rules. They have been written in stone since we stared writing WITH stones.