Trump's Trade War

F250

A wall should help this:

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics, 90 percent of heroin seized along the border, 88 percent of cocaine, 87 percent of methamphetamine, and 80 percent of fentanyl in the first 11 months of the 2018 fiscal year was caught trying to be smuggled in at legal crossing points.

Edited by 4th&Five

33 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This is dumb. Rightly or wrongly, protectionist trade policies have be Trump’s jam since the 1980s. 

He’s not protecting anything at this point. He’s threatening more tariffs and will keep increasing them until immigration stops which he knows will never happen so he’s gonna drive the economy over the cliff.

Then he’ll blame the dems and you will logon here and spout some more nonsense defending him and agreeing that it’s somehow the fault of the dems because they didn’t stop immigration.

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Dammit.  Should have treated myself to that Mexican Telecaster I was thinking of ordering last year.

Fucking have to buy American now. 

(Maybe the price will come down because Mexican guitar makers will have to cross over illegally to build American Fenders.)

i was thinking of a completely different mexican telecaster

hotmexicanweathergirl?format=750w

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i've said it multiple times, but what a disappointment cornyn has turned out to be during this administration. he should be leading the charge against the wall, against the tariffs on mexico, and representing texas. shouting from the rooftops, if you will. 

turns out he's a coward.

You fucker.  You owe an apology to every coward in the world for associating them with Cornyn.  If it wasn't for Trump's saggy orange balls repeatedly slapping his chin, he'd have no balls at all.

36 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

He’s not protecting anything at this point. He’s threatening more tariffs and will keep increasing them until immigration stops which he knows will never happen so he’s gonna drive the economy over the cliff.

Then he’ll blame the dems and you will logon here and spout some more nonsense defending him and agreeing that it’s somehow the fault of the dems because they didn’t stop immigration.

And this.  GR will blame the dems, vote for Trump, and yell WHOOO! like he was at a NASCAR race, and call it a day.  Trumpkins don't defect.  They only double down.

Cornyn and Abbott actually did put out a limpwristed and lukewarm at best condemnation of the tariffs, but of course they put the blame on...

...wait for it...

Congress, of course.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/05/31/border-leaders-criticize-trumps-threat-tariffs-mexican-goods/

"I've previously stated my opposition to tariffs due to the harm it would inflict on the Texas economy, and I remain opposed today," Abbott said. "Nevertheless, the President is trying to address this emergency. Now, Congress must do its job and start passing laws to fix our broken immigration system."

An aide to U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, added: “Senator Cornyn supports the President’s commitment to securing our border, but he opposes this across-the-board tariff which will disproportionately hurt Texas.”

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lulz that's exactly what they think they can do, and Texas will still vote Trump and Cornyn. 

They will, but Cornyn, Abbott, even Cruz, and many others know Texas (and American in general) businesses will be fucking furious with Trump and the GOP, and combined with Texas consumers getting hit in the wallet, and what happened in the 2018 elections, the GOP in Texas better get their shit together fast.   

Texas Democrats are too incompetent to swing Texas on their own at this point, but Trump fucking over Texans hard, combined with businesses spending their campaign bucks on challengers, both Republican primary and general, could do it.  

And I know some will scoff at that, but while Republican politicians will bend over and take it from Trump, plenty of businesses are not going to happily bend over and lose a bunch of money for Trump and the GOP.  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They will, but Cornyn, Abbott, even Cruz, and many others know Texas (and American in general) businesses will be fucking furious with Trump and the GOP, and combined with Texas consumers getting hit in the wallet, and what happened in the 2018 elections, the GOP in Texas better get their shit together fast.   

Texas Democrats are too incompetent to swing Texas on their own at this point, but Trump fucking over Texans hard, combined with businesses spending their campaign bucks on challengers, both Republican primary and general, could do it.  

And I know some will scoff at that, but while Republican politicians will bend over and take it from Trump, plenty of businesses are not going to happily bend over and lose a bunch of money for Trump and the GOP.  

Trumps tariffs on Mexico are enough to swing Texas to the dems. Just watch. 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They will, but Cornyn, Abbott, even Cruz, and many others know Texas (and American in general) businesses will be fucking furious with Trump and the GOP, and combined with Texas consumers getting hit in the wallet, 

24 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah, I think we are all a little long in the tooth. I remember the days when the wallet ruled everything. If you fucked with the voters' wallets, you were done. Hell, it's how Slick Willy became president. These times are not those times. We are so damn polarized that it literally does not matter how much politicians screw with your wallet.

I know Texas is a different animal compared to other states, and I want to believe that Texans would bite back if their wallets were hit hard by dipshit Donald tantrums, but it's hard to believe when you see these idiots in red states heading to the bread lines with their MAGA! hats on, talking about the pain is worth what their savior is trying to accomplish.....whatever that is...

13 minutes ago, swraith said:

^^^ don’t think so. Too many republicans already don’t vote in their own self interest. Why would this be any different?

Because trump has always been relatively unpopular in Texas, even among republicans. He only won against Hillary, who was not popular, by 9 percent. 

The republicans won the 2018 midterms overall by 6 percent, lost a number of suburban congressional seats, and almost had Beto beat Cruz. Williamson and Tarrant county voted for beto. That’s huge. 

All it would take is for the valley to vote at the same rate as the rest of the state and Texas is dem for life and the republicans nationally are totally fucked. 

Trumps deliberate harming of the Texas economy is gonna cause a lot of Texas republicans to stay home on voting day. They won’t vote for the dem, they just won’t vote.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trumps deliberate harming of the Texas economy is gonna cause a lot of Texas republicans to stay home on voting day. They won’t vote for the dem, they just won’t vote

It’s not just that he’s deliberately harming the Texas economy, it’s that he doesn’t care if it fucks his fans, and the dumbass is openly bragging about it.   You can’t blame it on fake news when Dotard is bragging that he’s doing the tariffs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Gotta get Dems to show up.   

But, there’s plenty of money that will be tossed at Republican primary challengers as well as Democrats by pissed-off business owners.  Trump doesn’t understand this, because he knows jack shit about tariffs and cross-border business.  Abbott, Cornyn, etc. do.

Y’all just got to get your mad and not insane friends and neighbors to actually vote.

Texas is staying red because the people that can actually turn it blue don’t vote. Y’all have the lowest voter participation in the country, right?

The 2018 midterms showed movement in the right direction, just have to keep that going.

No more “Texas is red so my vote doesn’t matter” excuse anymore. There’s enough of y’all now that all those votes DO matter.

Hell, the Jones/Moore special election proved that turnout can matter even in a place like Alabama.

And I feel like it’s especially incumbent on women and women of color in 2020.

We’re being attacked by Republican legislators and we better get our asses in the voting booth and fucking do something.

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all just got to get your mad and not insane friends and neighbors to actually vote.

Texas is staying red because the people that can actually turn it blue don’t vote. Y’all have the lowest voter participation in the country, right?

The 2018 midterms showed movement in the right direction, just have to keep that going.

No more “Texas is red so my vote doesn’t matter” excuse anymore. There’s enough of y’all now that all those votes DO matter.

Hell, the Jones/Moore special election proved that turnout can matter even in a place like Alabama.

And I feel like it’s especially incumbent on women and women of color in 2020.

We’re being attacked by Republican legislators and we better get our asses in the voting booth and fucking do something.

Everything else is bullshit (on every thread).  

Because trump has always been relatively unpopular in Texas, even among republicans. He only won against Hillary, who was not popular, by 9 percent. 
The republicans won the 2018 midterms overall by 6 percent, lost a number of suburban congressional seats, and almost had Beto beat Cruz. Williamson and Tarrant county voted for beto. That’s huge. 
All it would take is for the valley to vote at the same rate as the rest of the state and Texas is dem for life and the republicans nationally are totally fucked. 
Trumps deliberate harming of the Texas economy is gonna cause a lot of Texas republicans to stay home on voting day. They won’t vote for the dem, they just won’t vote.

Right

Trump got just shy of 4.7 million votes in TX in 2016.
Hillary got just shy of 3.9 million votes in TX in 2016.

Beto got 4.0 million in 2018 for Senate.

Do we have evidence Trump would get less than 4.7 million in 2020?

Seems to me Democrats still have a very high bar to clear to win TX in 2020.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

we give other countries useless pieces of paper in exchange for goods and services, but we're the piggy bank and the fool?

For the one millionth time the question needs to be asked: where the fuck are the fiscal conservative GOPers? Is Bill Weld the only  R with a functioning brain and a pair of balls willing to stand up to a brain dead dipshit who obviously didn't bother to crack open his economics 101 book 50+ years ago?

Nero's tuning up his fiddle....

For the one millionth time the question needs to be asked: where the fuck are the fiscal conservative GOPers? Is Bill Weld the only  R with a functioning brain and a pair of balls willing to stand up to a brain dead dipshit who obviously didn't bother to crack open his economics 101 book 50+ years ago?
Nero's tuning up his fiddle....

They never existed.

There’s a reason why Clinton cleaned up the Reagan/Bush 1 mess and Obama cleaned up the Bush 2 mess.

They’ve never been about fiscal conservatism. They just like to spend their money on the shit they like and make sure the profits stay in the correct hands.

The conventional wisdom that Republicans are the part of fiscal responsibility is the biggest lie that’s ever been sold to the American people.
  • Like 7

It's like the people in charge lack a basic understanding of history and economics. Australia was excluded from Trump's previous tarrifs on steel and aluminum but due to a basic concept known as trade diversion, imports for steel and aluminum increased from Australia. An unintended consequence of Trump's tarrifs made Australian imports cheaper. This should have been fucking obvious to any nitwit not wearing a MAGA hat.

So Trump and his advisors discover the increase and decide to slap tarrifs on Australia but the actual educated folks in the DoD and State Department fight it. Australia is one of our closest allies and we have a 29 Billion dollar trade surplus with them, they have supported us in every war we fought. Australia and New Zealand actually fought with the U.S. in fucking Vietnam! Obviously they are a critical ally in the Pacific in both trade and defense against China.

Why the fuck are these people so stupid? It blows my mind at how stupid this administration is when it comes to everything.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:50 PM, Bama Chick said:

They never existed.

There’s a reason why Clinton cleaned up the Reagan/Bush 1 mess and Obama cleaned up the Bush 2 mess.

They’ve never been about fiscal conservatism. They just like to spend their money on the shit they like and make sure the profits stay in the correct hands.

The conventional wisdom that Republicans are the part of fiscal responsibility is the biggest lie that’s ever been sold to the American people.

Looking back on it, sure does seem like that.  Spending all that money on the military industrial complex...so many private contracts going through the buddy system.  

Trickle Down.  Ouch

Republican Senators are having a "This madness!" moment and implying they will be blocking the tarrifs and will override Trump's veto. Trump replying with a "fuck yo couch."

My guess is the tarrifs will not happen but without a public fight. If Trump goes full blown bukaki on Cornyn and Cruz and does it anyway, shit goes to 11 for the GOP in Texas.

“I want you to take a message back” to the White House, Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, told the lawyers, according to people familiar with the meeting. Mr. Cruz warned that “you didn’t hear a single yes” from the Republican conference. He called the proposed tariffs a $30 billion tax increase on Texans.

“I will yield to nobody in passion and seriousness and commitment for securing the border,” Mr. Cruz later told reporters. “But there’s no reason for Texas farmers and ranchers and manufacturers and small businesses to pay the price of massive new taxes."

Texas would be hit the hardest by the proposed tariffs on Mexican products, followed by Michigan, California, Illinois and Ohio, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. A 25 percent tariff would threaten $26.75 billion of Texas imports.

“We’re holding a gun to our own heads,” said Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas.

“I think it’s more likely that the tariffs go on, and we’ll probably be talking during the time that the tariffs are on, and they’re going to be paid,” Mr. Trump said. When asked about Senate Republicans discussing ways to block the tariffs, Mr. Trump said, “I don’t think they will do that.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/us/politics/republicans-mexico-tariffs.html

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

trump acting shocked that the entire world doesn't immediately equate trade with immigration.

all the while announcing that mexico can stop their border issues in "one day" if they felt like it.

this will certainly end well.

He's right about one thing. Senate Republicans aren't going to do shit about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

He's right about one thing. Senate Republicans aren't going to do shit about it. 

the thing is - he doesn't do that calculus in his head.  he doesn't think, "you know what, they'll bitch, but they'll fall in line.  they don't have the numbers."  he just does whatever he wants, and nobody has ever stopped him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Brows furrow 

disappointment grows 

concern increases 

*Senate GOP unanimously approves Trump tariffs* 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

the thing is - he doesn't do that calculus in his head.  he doesn't think, "you know what, they'll bitch, but they'll fall in line.  they don't have the numbers."  he just does whatever he wants, and nobody has ever stopped him.

Right. But why would he expect anyone to stop him when nobody ever does?  Cornyn and Cruz will absolutely let tariffs cripple Texas' economy before they decide to vote for a bill to kill the tariffs. The only way the tariffs are stopping is if Trump wants them to.

Even the Dems are being bitches who are wishy washy about a deserved impeachment. Of course Trump doesn't do any of the math. He doesn't have to. 

Cornyn says “we’re holding a gun to our own head.”

What he didn’t say is the second part: “....and when Trump pulls the trigger and blows our brains out, we’ll support him completely, and blame Mexico for making him shoot us dead.”

The next act of courage and integrity I see from a GOP elected official will be the first. There’s never been a gang of cowards as pathetic as this bunch in my lifetime. There’s not a half a testicle among them.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Right. But why would he expect anyone to stop him when nobody ever does?  Cornyn and Cruz will absolutely let tariffs cripple Texas' economy before they decide to vote for a bill to kill the tariffs. The only way the tariffs are stopping is if Trump wants them to.

Even the Dems are being bitches who are wishy washy about a deserved impeachment. Of course Trump doesn't do any of the math. He doesn't have to. 

yep.

the thing is, trump supporters think he's being smart, but he's really just being scary.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:35 PM, swraith said:

Right

Trump got just shy of 4.7 million votes in TX in 2016.
Hillary got just shy of 3.9 million votes in TX in 2016.

Beto got 4.0 million in 2018 for Senate.

Do we have evidence Trump would get less than 4.7 million in 2020?

Seems to me Democrats still have a very high bar to clear to win TX in 2020.

Mostly agree but still I would say Beto pulling more in a non-presidential election isn't too shabby.  Clinton was likely a terrible candidate for Texans too compared to if say Biden was the nominee.  Still, I agree it's a high bar.

I have feeling Mexico will capitulate just enough that Trump will declare victory without getting any real or measurable effects for his tariff blustering.  It's sort of what he does.... declares victory without getting any measurable progress (see North Korea, Russia, Israel, China, etc, etc).  If he doesn't then the Senate GOP will hoot and holler and then blame the brown people and do nothing, because...

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

step 5: senate turns blue in 17 months.

It’s going to put Texas a lot closer to turning blue.  It’s like Trump is trying to come up with ways to fuck over Texans.  I’m going to enjoy Texas Republicans defending this during their campaigns next year and/or trying to turn out Republican voters who get fucked hard by this.