3 Billion Birds Have Vanished from North America

lemonlime

Idiot World Example:

Cat lovers would happily watch the world die instead of not replacing their deceased Mr. Whiskers.

Example #2: They, either willfully or ignorantly, know nothing about this plague.

Besides, it's just another plague. Who can keep up? I wish a Kardashian would appear in one of the Real Housewives shows. That'd be great.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:41 AM, Deej said:

They also kill between 6 and 20 billion mice, rats, and rodents per year. Places that have removed all their feral cats have seen explosions in their rat populations. They do wreak havoc on native rodent species, but so do rats. 

The answer to all this is to release snakes. They will take care of the cat and rodent problem while leaving birds mostly alone. Then you have to get something to take care of the snake problem. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

20 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I assume you’re talking about the Atwater’s Prairie Chickens in Texas? If you’re talking about Greater Prairie Chickens, they aren’t faring as well or as widely as they did prior to agriculture taking away much of their habitat, but they are doing relatively well in their current range. In fact, GPCs are hunted in most if not all of the Northern Great Plains states. Hunting isn’t nearly as big of a problem for birds as is habitat loss as long as hunting is managed before it’s too late.  Game bird populations will normally recover enough to be hunted if given proper habitat.

Excuse the fuck out of me. You got a problem with Atwater's Prairie Chickens, fuckface?

23 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

They also kill between 6 and 20 billion mice, rats, and rodents per year. Places that have removed all their feral cats have seen explosions in their rat populations. They do wreak havoc on native rodent species, but so do rats. 

The answer to all this is to release snakes. They will take care of the cat and rodent problem while leaving birds mostly alone. Then you have to get something to take care of the snake problem. 

Mongoose!

Obviously I'm not the only one reminded of Kumail Nanjiani's story about the birthday party where the Cobra fights the Mongoose to the death for the 5 year old's entertainment.  

"Yeah, if you have that move...that should definitely be your first move."  

Edited by Lobo

On 9/20/2019 at 6:52 PM, Incredulity said:

Think a decline in total numbers might be related to a massive increase in the population of birds of prey?  They don’t just eat rodents.

There were ZERO bald eagles in the lower 48 in the 70’s and early 80’s. Now they are common.

A lot of cities have been putting birds of prey in downtown areas to cut down the pigeon and grackle populations.    

Not it is funnier than walking around/eating in a downtown area during lunch and seeing a woman freak out as a red tailed hawk turns a pigeon into a cloud of feathers.  

Edited by Trey3216

On 9/21/2019 at 12:15 PM, FondrenRoad said:

"Domesticated" cats have been slaying birds for thousands of years. I'm guessing the real reason for the reduction is pesticides/loss of habitat.

In fact I'm going to wager there were more cats running around killing freely 50 years ago than there are now. We have a farm on the high plains and there are always around 10 barn cats that hang around the place, with the decrease in the number of individual farms over the last 50 years I'm guessing the killer farm cat population has decreased significantly. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

And really, how many "city" cats actually get to go outdoors on a regular basis? I'm sure feral cats kill alot in the cities but they were killing that many 50 years ago. 

Yep, it may be startling how many they kill, but they always have.  And if it wasn't felis catus, it was lynx rufus or similar.

People who don't fix and people who abandon their pets are shit.

I was reading about caracals.  They used to bait a patch to get a flock of pigeons on the ground and let a caracal loose on them.  They can knock down 10 or 12 in one leap.

15 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

And really, how many "city" cats actually get to go outdoors on a regular basis? I'm sure feral cats kill alot in the cities but they were killing that many 50 years ago. 

I don't know. The general trend, I think, has been a population shift in the US to the warmer climate states. I'd imagine that that's where you will find more birds year round. Growing population with more and  more cats to feed on birds that have become more adapted to living within the growing cities? Dunno. Just a thought with no real data.

My last dog, Amber, was a cat exterminating machine. She always knew the correct angle to take when the cunts would run up a tree. 

Thinking they were safe they would stop half way up the trunk for a split second because cats are stupid.

That is when Amber made the kill.

Miss that girl.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

My last dog, Amber, was a cat exterminating machine. She always knew the correct angle to take when the cunts would run up a tree. 

Thinking they were safe they would stop half way up the trunk for a split second because cats are stupid.

That is when Amber made the kill.

Miss that girl.

She was a good girl.