2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

13 minutes ago, jinx said:

So we hired an OC from the Buckeyes with six years of OC experience at Okie State with 4 top ten offenses in that time.  And we hired a DC that won a national title (with Herman) at Ohio State and was thought highly enough he became a head coach (although that didn't go so well).

If I weren't a Texas fan, I would think all of this seemed pretty good.  But since I am a Texas fan, I am just left to wonder how we will screw up this seemingly good situation.

Right there with you. Excited to see what novel ways we fuck this up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester’s Inn said:

SIAP-  Is Ash already on campus and if so, is he giving input for the Texas defense against Utah?  Just curious if Texas will try a 4 man front this game or go with what they have been doing all season. 

It would be foolish for Texas to change their defense at this point.  Maybe simplify the scheme and mix in more 4 man fronts like they did against Tech, but a wholesale change would probably be disastrous.  If anything, they need to spend time focusing on fundamentals.  You know, tackling, gap responsibility, pursuit angles, shit like that.  That alone would go a long way towards making the defense better.

Edited by Hairy Biped
  • Like 2

Bucknuts one week ago: "Day said last Monday that he would 'be surprised' if any other coaches left the program. 'I think we're in pretty good shape, pretty solid. I've not heard of anything otherwise.'"

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-coaching-changes-Ryan-Day-Jeff-Hafley-Mike-Yurcich-Corey-Dennis-141006352/

But yeah, sure, I'm sure that Day spent the week before the CFP thinking about staff changes and telling Yurcich to look elsewhere.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Would really like to see a TE coach who’s a stud recruiter and has special teams coordinator experience. 

I'm curious who fits the bill besides Texas exes Brewster at UNC and Larry Porter at Auburn. Maybe pull someone from the NFL like Jon Embree. Maybe Jeff Banks from Bama or Sean Beckton from Nebraska. It doesn't seem like there are lots of good options.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm curious who fits the bill besides Texas exes Brewster at UNC and Larry Porter at Auburn. Maybe pull someone from the NFL like Jon Embree. Maybe Jeff Banks from Bama or Sean Beckton from Nebraska. It doesn't seem like there are lots of good options.

2018 Ten Highest Paid Special Teams Coaches

1. Bob Gregory, Washington — $550,000
2. Larry Porter, Auburn — $525,000
3. Chris Partridge, Michigan — $500,000
4. Danny Pearman, Clemson — $480,000
5. Jovan Dewitt, Nebraska — $475,000
5. Coleman Hutzler, South Carolina — $475,000
7. James Shibest, Virginia Tech — $445,000
8. Mark Staten, Michigan State — $438,000
9. Jay Boulware, Oklahoma — $435,000
10. Jeff Banks, Alabama — $434,000

10 Highest Paid TE Coaches -- 2018

1. Larry Porter, Auburn — $525,000
2. Danny Pearman, Clemson — $480,000
3. Vince Marrow, Kentucky — $450,000
4. James Shibest, Virginia Tech — $445,000
5. Mark Staten, Michigan State — $438,000
6. Shane Beamer, Oklahoma — $435,000
7. Jeff Banks, Alabama — $434,000
8. Sean Beckton, Nebraska — $400,000
9. Bobby Bentley, South Carolina — $400,000
10. Derek Warehime, Texas — $400,000

Other notes:

— Technically speaking, Kevin Wilson is the highest-paid tight ends coach in the country at $800,000 a year. Wilson is the rare offensive coordinator and tight ends coach in FBS. Another OC/TEs combo? Iowa’s Brian Ferentz, who made $685,000 in 2018. Oregon’s Marcus Arroyo coordinates the offense while coaching quarterbacks and tight ends.

— Michigan State’s case is an interesting one. Jim Bollman earned $542,000 as Michigan State’s tight ends coach and co-offensive coordinator last season, but Mark Dantonio has since handed tight ends (plus special teams) duties to Staten.

— Speaking of special teams coordinators, there are a lot on this list. Porter, Pearman, Staten, Banks and Warehime also handle special teams duties. Marrow is Kentucky’s recruiting coordinator and NFL liaison. Beamer is Oklahoma’s assistant head coach for offense in addition to coaching tight ends and fullbacks. Beckton and Bentley are the only coaches on this list to just handle tight ends.

— Joe Jon Finley is a safe bet to join this list soon. He made $365,000 at Missouri, then left for Texas A&M, where Tim Brewster made $479,000 in 2018.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I mean I don’t think we will have a coach for TEs and a coach for WR. It’ll be 1 coach for both.

You think we’ll only have four assistants on offense? How many schools have one coach dedicated to WRs and TEs combined? 

That’s not happening 

• Like 3

Bucknuts one week ago: "Day said last Monday that he would 'be surprised' if any other coaches left the program. 'I think we're in pretty good shape, pretty solid. I've not heard of anything otherwise.'"
https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-coaching-changes-Ryan-Day-Jeff-Hafley-Mike-Yurcich-Corey-Dennis-141006352/
But yeah, sure, I'm sure that Day spent the week before the CFP thinking about staff changes and telling Yurcich to look elsewhere.
Day was clearly trying to say that he'd already encouraged Yurcich to look around, but because Yurcich is so difficult and unpleasant to work with, Day didn't expect he actually was looking or was planning to leave despite being told he should. /Bucknuts
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

You think we’ll only have four assistants on offense? How many schools have one coach dedicated to WRs and TEs combined? 

That’s not happening 

Last year we had 6 assistants on offense and 4 on defense. Next year it will be 5 and 5.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Biped said:

It would be foolish for Texas to change their defense at this point.  Maybe simplify the scheme and mix in more 4 man fronts like they did against Tech, but a wholesale change would probably be disastrous.  If anything, they need to spend time focusing on fundamentals.  You know, tackling, gap responsibility, pursuit angles, shit like that.  That alone would go a long way towards making the defense better.

You mean we should continue to blitz from 15 yards out, have our best pass rusher cover their best receiver and bring the house on 3rd and 17? I think all the things I mentioned need to go away and that will take some significant changes. This coordinator has to figure out how to get pressure on the QB without selling us out on the back-end.

8 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay if we are wishing, can I join the others here that have mentioned someone to actually help our players understand what the fuck to do when they play on special teams? I'm not going whole hog here, just the simple basics like when to fair catch and when to field a punt or kick off.

Maybe get them better junior high school coaches. 

The Stampede- Has some coaching info

Spoiler

The impact of the Yurich hire

With the hiring of new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich done, we spoke with several coaches around the state of Texas to get a feel for his reputation and recruiting style. Yurcich doesn’t come with a huge recruiting rep, but I was told that he’s been effective in small doses when he does get into recruiting.

Bottom line is, Yurcich’s first duty is to elevate the Longhorn offense and recruiting will be secondary. “He’s fine one-on-one with kids and their families, but he’s here for his schematic ability,” one source told me.

Once the paperwork is completed and Yurcich is officially announced, he’ll be able to go out on the road recruiting. He will definitely need to put his recruiting hat on to lock in with the 2021 class and the remaining 2020 targets. Perhaps the most important question is where things will stand between Yurcich and 2021 quarterback commit Jalen Milroe.

Milroe was the catalyst for Texas’ recruiting success in 2021 during the summer. He’s also been the vocal leader in the class and a face for 2021 along with fellow commit Hayden Conner. In speaking with sources close to Milroe, I believe they are committed to the school more than any coach, but he and his family are close with former offensive coordinator Tim Beck.

Outside of securing Milroe, Texas will still need to finish out the 2020 class and get a jump on 2021. Texas currently has two vacancies on the offensive side of the ball at the wide receiver position depending on the way the staff is balanced following this turnover.

Through several recruiting contacts, I’ve learned of a list of assistant coaches the Texas staff is doing some homework on right now in preparation for interviews. I cannot get into the full list just yet, but I can confirm Jeff Howe’s report that feelers have been sent out to Kansas wide receivers coach Emmett Jones.

A former offensive coordinator under Reginald Samples at Skyline High and head coach at South Oak Cliff, Jones is the type of made man to make a huge impact in Dallas if Texas were to land him. Jones formerly served under Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech before making the move to Kansas to work for Les Miles.

After speaking with several high school coaches in the Dallas area, I was told that the recruiting advantage Texas could have in the south Dallas area could potentially be dominant with Jones spearheading the charge. If he were hired, Texas would be right in the thick of the race for prospects like Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis, Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton, and Duncanville offensive tackle Savion Byrd, among many others.

From what I’ve heard regarding the list of staffers Texas is doing the legwork on, I’d expect these hires to be geared towards taking recruiting up a notch while improving the overall teaching ability. If these early names are any indication, Texas will be looking to strengthen their in-state and national effort on the recruiting trail.

All-American Bowl primer

All-American Bowl week events start today and Horns247 will be on hand all week to cover it front to back. The biggest story we will be tracking is four-star Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins.

One of the few uncommitted and unsigned Texas targets expected to attend, Collins should be in for check in tomorrow. I spoke with sources near the Austin-area big man, and it sounds like the race is extremely tight between Texas and Oklahoma with Baylor also factoring in.

We’ll have a full report following check-in, but I’ve heard that new Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash has been in contact and the Longhorns are selling what Collins can do for them in their four-man front. Oklahoma made a strong push over the last few months, but sources I spoke with still feel confident that Texas holds the lead.

Five-star Scottsdale (Az.) Saguaro cornerback Kelee Ringo will also be at the game. Sources near the Arizona prospect indicate that Ringo already signed his letter of intent and plans to name his school during the game on Saturday. Texas did not receive an official visit from Ringo before signing day, and we’re told the Longhorns won’t be the choice.

We’ll also have coverage of the four Texas commits in attendance. Four-star Southlake Carroll offensive lineman Andrej Karic will get to show his stuff in front of our national team of evaluators and would be my pick as a potential riser.

Five-star Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson will also be on hand, and we’re interested to see him compete with elite competition.

COMMENTS
Four-star Highland Park edge rusher Prince Dorbah will finally get to turn it loose after playing in an odd front in high school, and we’re watching to see how he fares against the offensive line competition.

Four-star Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford is expected to attend but not compete as he recovers from an injury before enrolling at Texas in January.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pasken said:

Last year we had 6 assistants on offense and 4 on defense. Next year it will be 5 and 5.

Dude you are a dumbass. Please stop posting about shit you have no clue about. There will be a WR coach and there will be a separate TE coach. The extra coach will come from the fact that we had 2, that's right 2, WR coaches last year as well as a TE coach. That is where the extra defensive coach will come from. 

24 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

While this has been the word for the last month+, it is refreshing to see that Coach Fuckface is now publicly admitting this mix, and I am excited to see who they bring on. It must pain Thermanuclear to have to go to this mix after staunchly defending the past mix to anyone who would listen. I see no way in which Derek Warehime makes it on staff past SD2. Of course, if he does, I'll be resigned to the fucking idiocy of it and watch him continue to fail alongside Casey Fucking Horny. Shit.

13 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
14 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Read more  

Day was clearly trying to say that he'd already encouraged Yurcich to look around, but because Yurcich is so difficult and unpleasant to work with, Day didn't expect he actually was looking or was planning to leave despite being told he should. /Bucknuts

Well this the same fan base that bent over backwards to excuse Zach Smith’s wife beating so I’m not too surprised at their level of delusion.