Reynolds Woodcock

Recs for Southern California (around Orange County)

Have to be in Orange County for "work" the morning of Wednesday January 8 through Sunday January 12. Will be staying at the Monarch Beach Resort with a rental car. Most of Thursday is booked with work stuff, and I may drive up to LA Saturday to hang out with friends, but otherwise have no plans and would like to get out and explore the area.

Outside of LA (ok, Venice Beach), I'm really unfamiliar with the area. What would you guys suggest? I don't mind driving at all. For example, is something like Joshua Tree cool (or too far)?  Frankly I'll just be happy to be out of the barren wasteland that is NYC in January.

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

What are you interested in?

historical

food and bev

air bnb in Tijuana 

general tourist shit

Always food and drink, but also just looking to explore the area. Tourist shit, cool areas to see, outdoor stuff, whatever. Sadly will have to miss Tijuana.   

one of my all time favorite sushi places is in CM across the bridge from south coast plaza....found it, Angotei.  it seats about 10 people but its awesome. 

Joshua Tree is “doable” if you get up early and plan to spend the entire day out there, but I think you’ll find that it’s too far.

San Clemente has a nice pier/downtown area. San Juan Cap has Old Town which is worth checking out. Temecula is close if you want some decent wine. Laguna Beach is a wonderful place to walk around, eat/drink and scope the galleries.

Really just depends what you are into...

Joshua Tree would be a haul. It's not very scenic, and would be populated by rock climbers that have been driven from the Sierra by the weather. Plus, 29 Palms is a shithole. Surprised it didn't make Honorable Mention in 'the worst city' thread.  The Monarch ain't a bad base for day trips along the coast. Go north to Newport, rent a bike and ride the bike path on the boardwalk. 22 miles roundtrip, usually with a decent wind blowing down coast in the afternoon. Take the ferry to Balboa Island for the heck of it....

On 11/8/2019 at 8:53 PM, chesthair said:

one of my all time favorite sushi places is in CM across the bridge from south coast plaza....found it, Angotei.  it seats about 10 people but its awesome. 

Costa Mesa has some pretty cool places to eat. 

18 hours ago, otisdog said:

Plus, 29 Palms is a shithole. Surprised it didn't make Honorable Mention in 'the worst city' thread.

I know someone who lives there and loves it. Have no idea why. 

22 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

go to Gulfstream or Javier's and look for cougars

they will be thick there. Billy's in Newport will be good for that. 

OP, there is so much to do in OC that it's impossible to make recommendations without guidelines.  For example, whale watching is great, if you're into that sort of thing. 

Yeah I’m a huge nerd for California but agree we need some parameters on what you’re into/want to do to give better recs.

From just a driving around/looking at the scenery perspective, it sounds like you’re very close to two of my favorite (of many) in California: the San Clemente Pier area (and if I were there I’d feel compelled to stop for pizza and beers at Pizza Port) as well at Heisler Park and the nearby beach in Laguna Beach. You are also an easy drive down to North County San Diego areas like Del Mar and even down into La Jolla as well as more northern/Orange County favorites like Newport Beach/Huntington Beach, etc. (and of course even further north, L.A.-proper places are also easily doable)

Enjoy - my wife and I were in Malibu last January and that was a great time to get away from the (relative) winter here in Dallas.

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

OP, there is so much to do in OC that it's impossible to make recommendations without guidelines.  For example, whale watching is great, if you're into that sort of thing. 

You better clarify before Vic sees this and books a plane ticket.

Just returned from business trip to OC/SD last week and tried a spot in Newport Beach called Bear Flag Seafood Company that was great.  They had fresh yellowtail and Opah on menu Thursday night that was tip top.

Marine Room is a cool bar in Laguna Beach and a great place to hike is Top of the World Park in the hills over Laguna.  If there’s snow on the San Gabriels in January, that spot’s view is unsurpassed.

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

14 hours ago, mdleast said:

Yeah I’m a huge nerd for California but agree we need some parameters on what you’re into/want to do to give better recs.

From just a driving around/looking at the scenery perspective, it sounds like you’re very close to two of my favorite (of many) in California: the San Clemente Pier area (and if I were there I’d feel compelled to stop for pizza and beers at Pizza Port) as well at Heisler Park and the nearby beach in Laguna Beach. You are also an easy drive down to North County San Diego areas like Del Mar and even down into La Jolla as well as more northern/Orange County favorites like Newport Beach/Huntington Beach, etc. (and of course even further north, L.A.-proper places are also easily doable)

Enjoy - my wife and I were in Malibu last January and that was a great time to get away from the (relative) winter here in Dallas.

Thanks everyone for the responses and sorry for delayed response. Understand the need to try to narrow down interests. Just as an example, some things that I would be interested in include (i) driving around and seeing cool scenery (oceans, mountains, whatever), particularly if I can get out and walk around - my wife won't be with me and hates to do this shit, so I thought it would be a good time; (ii) hikes if relatively nearby; (iii) good beer and food, particular types that are local or otherwise not readily available in NYC. Probably not going to take the time to do something like Whale Watching or Vineyards in Temecula, but appreciate the suggestions.

I have been to (1) Newport Beach/Balboa; (2) Coronado Island; and (3) SantaMonica/Venice Beach. Otherwise, I am a total CA newb.   

Then explore Laguna Beach/Dana Point/San Clemente. 

There's a great happy hour place on the pier in San Clemente.  "The Fisherman".  Good food and unbeatable sunsets. 

There are half a dozen cool places at Dana Point Harbor, and a hundred in Laguna Beach.