Malik Jefferson

Machinator

39 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He's fast and big and agile -- I'd give him a look as an RB. Didn't he run for a bazillion yards in HS? 

If some superathletic MLB players can go from pitching to the outfield and have success, I don't know why a LB couldn't become an RB. I think the only reason coaches and GMs don't do this is because other coaches and GMs haven't done it. 

It's probably too late for Malik but if you have a guy like that and his problems are things like shedding blocks, overpursuit, misreading plays, and not wrapping up, hell, try him out on the other side of the ball. 

He has/had all the measurables, the speed, the athleticism. It's just a damn shame that when it comes to ballin', he looks good in his uniform.

47 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He's fast and big and agile -- I'd give him a look as an RB. Didn't he run for a bazillion yards in HS? 

If some superathletic MLB players can go from pitching to the outfield and have success, I don't know why a LB couldn't become an RB. I think the only reason coaches and GMs don't do this is because other coaches and GMs haven't done it. 

It's probably too late for Malik but if you have a guy like that and his problems are things like shedding blocks, overpursuit, misreading plays, and not wrapping up, hell, try him out on the other side of the ball. 

Maybe a worse take than your Charlie was a better coach than Herman. 
Is this a bit?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe a worse take than your Charlie was a better coach than Herman. 
Is this a bit?  

Tell me why, o enlightened one, why it would it be a bad idea to see if a 6'3, 230 pound dude with sub 4.4 speed -- close to Derrick Henry's measurables, BTW -- could make it as an RB?

DBs and WRs flip all the time; QBs become WRs and TEs. Why is it laughable other than the fact it just isn't done? I mean, we all know NFL coaches are not paralyzed by groupthink so it couldn't be that. 

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Hard to believe he couldn't develop with all the measurables and what appeared to be a good head on his shoulders. Bummer

He just wasnt a very good football player. He is an elite athlete running around and covering up bad technique and instincts with raw talent, but at that level everyone is an elite athlete and it just wont work anymore.

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is the dumbest shit I’ve read in a while. Malik was never as great an athlete as so many Strong supporters love to believe. And he’s a terrible prospect at running back. Can’t read/react or shed blocks?  Yeah, let’s stick a 240 lb guy who can’t read or shed blocks at a position where he’ll need to read defenses and shed tackles. 

Malik was massively overrated at Texas. 

I was an RB / LB in high school and it is not apples to apples. Linebacker is a shit-ton more cerebral. Running back is fucking easy.

RUN. TO. DAYLIGHT.

Yes, you can be coached on how to anticipate where holes will develop that you can't see at the point of handoff, but basically, it's just those three words. 

For how much hype he had during his recruitment, he substantially underperformed here. Being coached by Charlie Strong and Bedford didn't help. I wouldn't call him a college bust. A lot of players of the past decade underperformed here and went on to be successful in the NFL, though. He is an NFL bust for sure.

11 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He was average at best at UT. Given his HS hype, that’s a bust in my mind. He was a less talented Jaylon Smith in college. 

46 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Malik was very meh at Texas period the end.  Any other assessment proves you either A) weren't paying attention or B) don't understand football

His pro career has been a bust.

To be fair, everyone was a bust under Strong. Only Dickson excelled and I'm pretty sure coaching had absolute zero to do with that outcome.

• Like 2

Just now, Herpa Derpa said:

To be fair, everyone was a bust under Strong. Only Dickson excelled and I'm pretty sure coaching had absolute zero to do with that outcome.

D'Onta Foreman would like a word with you his time at Texas wasn't a bust even though his NFL career has been an absolute bust.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

D'Onta Foreman would like a word with you his time at Texas wasn't a bust even though his NFL career has been an absolute bust.

Ok, Foreman and Dickson.  Two positions that are 95% player ability and 5% coaching.  Doesn't change the fact that overall the numbers show one of two things occurred during this period of time.  Either Texas somehow managed to select a plethora of highly rated HS players during the Strong era that overwhelmingly, and disproportionately, were severely overrated, OR, coming to Texas during the Strong years, no matter the talent, skill set, floor/ceiling, etc., was likely to result in a disappointing college career.

Imma gonna go with the latter.  We'll never know what might have happened had Malik gone to aggy, or a successful program like Bama, but I'm fairly confident in assuming that he would have likely played closer to the hype, and probably met and/or exceeded, under any other coaching staff.

Try and swim in the deep ocean without a life preserver and see how long you last before you go under. That's what it was like playing in the Strong regime.  Failure was inevitable for the team and the individual players.

This is the most intelligent, informative and enlightening thread I’ve been able to observe. Just to make sure that everyone doesn’t miss it:

1) Malik should be a running back

2) Lets compare Foreman and Dickson (a RB and a world class punter) to a LB

3) All talent translates from high school directly to NFL

4) Charlie Strong was also a Baylor rape victim 

18 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

This is the most intelligent, informative and enlightening thread I’ve been able to observe. Just to make sure that everyone doesn’t miss it:

1) Malik should be a running back

2) Lets compare Foreman and Dickson (a RB and a world class punter) to a LB

3) All talent translates from high school directly to NFL

4) Charlie Strong was also a Baylor rape victim 

Let me help since you seem a little lost.  The comparison is not between players, it's a comparison between positions. It's the fact that a position that requires a significant amount of coaching (LB) is going to be much more susceptible to poor coaching than a position (RB, P) that relies more on the innate talent of a player.  All three players played under Strong. The positions that didn't require as much coaching performed well.  The ones that did, didn't.  Comprende?

Let me add since it's Sunday, and I'm just waiting for the game to start, your other three talking points you created to make yourself appear above it all are also mischaracterizations of this thread.

1)  One poster stated this, and was roundly, and righty, ridiculed for such a terrible take.

2) See above

3) show your work where this is a predominant, or even seriously discussed, thought on this thread

4) See #3

So, to sum up, you pushed out a bunch of nonsense that indicates a reading comprehension issue. But you sure are smarter than the rest of us dumb message board buffoons.

Jefferson wasn't a savior at Texas. That's different than being a bust. 

I recall that his natural position was as a rush linebacker, but our dearth of talent at the position had him playing the middle quite often and other times spread around to cover for other players.

He was likely denied development at his best position.

I was delighted he signed and his signature and presence here boosted recruiting. He started every year he was here.

We'll never know what he would have become had he been on a more talented team with better coaching.

He's not responsible for the inflated expectations of a sometimes hysterical group of fans posting on the football board.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2021 at 12:37 AM, Vertigo said:

He just wasnt a very good football player. He is an elite athlete running around and covering up bad technique and instincts with raw talent, but at that level everyone is an elite athlete and it just wont work anymore.

it did work once

https://imageproxy.themaven.net/https:%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTc0OTg4NjQzNzc2MDc5ODQw%2Fjohnson_derrick_c4801.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Tell me why, o enlightened one, why it would it be a bad idea to see if a 6'3, 230 pound dude with sub 4.4 speed -- close to Derrick Henry's measurables, BTW -- could make it as an RB?

DBs and WRs flip all the time; QBs become WRs and TEs. Why is it laughable other than the fact it just isn't done? I mean, we all know NFL coaches are not paralyzed by groupthink so it couldn't be that. 

Jesus Fucking Christ. How does this guy have so much rep? 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...