What the hell has happened to Amazon

TornACL

Just yesterday I received two of the same replacement parts for my 18+ year old Weber Genesis Silver grill. They were obviously counterfeit (sold as genuine Weber), so I tried to return both of them.  The website said they weren’t eligible for refund. I clicked the explanation, and it took me to a generic Returns Policy page. To make a long story short, they told me they would issue a full refund, but that I could keep both counterfeits. I had inadvertently added two to my cart, and I didn’t notice that it was from an outside seller but fulfilled by Amazon (or whatever bullshit they call it), so shame on ImWP. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

8 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

. To make a long story short, they told me they would issue a full refund, but that I could keep both counterfeits.

At some point, it’s not worth the shipping costs to return, and they don’t want you to give them a bad review.

I wonder how it would work if you demanded a refund from every 3rd party seller. I guess amazon might cut you off eventually.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, Incredulity said:

I would say I notice alot more of what I go looking for on Amazon isn’t available under Prime.  I also have had delivery delays.

Full disclosure a fair amount of my Amazon purchases are appliance or lawn equipment repair parts and other fairly oddball shit thats pretty tough to source.

this, and also have had a few "amazon basic" items listed as Prime but have 5 day shipping.  Makes no sense. 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:26 AM, huge said:

Ok what is the best 6 foot charging cable for iPhone?  That is the one thing I keep screwing up with Amazon.  They usually work for about 2 months.

Not the cheapest but they last more than 6 months. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N63HESQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

13 minutes ago, Mappable said:

Amazon just fucked me and didn't even use Amazon Basics Lube.

I ordered 3x Apple Airpods Pro for my kids that were supposed to be shipped Prime to be delivered on Monday. 

Just got the tracking with a January 3 ETA.  my wife is going to rip me a new one.

Yeah this isn’t surprising. These are severely constrained, and have been since the beginning of the month. If you can prove it showed guaranteed delivery Monday, reach out to Amazon CS, but I’d be surprised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mappable said:

I ordered 3x Apple Airpods Pro for my kids that were supposed to be shipped Prime to be delivered on Monday. 

Just got the tracking with a January 3 ETA.  my wife is going to rip me a new one.

They're really good at the visual bait and switch, aren't they?

1 hour ago, Mappable said:

That's because they are being shipped from the new distribution center on Mars.

2 hours ago, Mappable said:

Man that sucks, but don’t beat yourself up too much. Those things are the gift of 2019

I got lucky and picked a pair up for my wife a few days ago at the Barton Creek Apple store and the guy helping me told me I was super fortunate to get a pair. Also, I needed to be careful because people were being followed and robbed for them because they are selling for $500+ right now. 

sounds like the sellers want more moneyz. 

the erratic and sometimes drastic price changes on Amazon shit is annoying. walmart online is pretty tits for basic stuff and mid range electronics plus they always honor the lowest price. 

again, sorry to hear that man

I've got to give Amazon props. I was late ordering a gift for my kid (fucking forgot, I suck) and after I ordered the stuff, it told me the est. delivery date was 12-26. I was prepared to tell her the bad news when she got the other gifts but the items arrived yesterday. Score one for amazon. 

Just yesterday I received two of the same replacement parts for my 18+ year old Weber Genesis Silver grill. They were obviously counterfeit (sold as genuine Weber), so I tried to return both of them.  The website said they weren’t eligible for refund. I clicked the explanation, and it took me to a generic Returns Policy page. To make a long story short, they told me they would issue a full refund, but that I could keep both counterfeits. I had inadvertently added two to my cart, and I didn’t notice that it was from an outside seller but fulfilled by Amazon (or whatever bullshit they call it), so shame on ImWP. 

Read an article recently that Amazon doesn’t have a way to weed out the fakes once they are in the system. They get scanned into a warehouse and then, regardless of who you order the item from, it is fulfilled from the big bin of items with that skew in the shipping center. There’s items I used to order regularly from Amazon that I’ve given up and gone back to brick and mortar purchases. But sucks for things like your grill parts that are hard to find locally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, Mappable said:

Who knew Christmas was in late December this year?

• Haha 1

That sucks, not sure how your kids are going to travel on their next business trip without noise canceling headphones
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If you need Air Pod Pros and can’t find them, check cell phone stores. Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and Apple were all sold out on Black Friday. So I stopped at the Verizon store on Research on a whim after leaving Target empty handed and they had plenty in stock.

Had similar experience at an AT&T store this past Friday in Dallas. The guy said he had over 100 in stock.

Edited by orange dream
  • Like 1

I still value local retailers so I’m never going to go whole hog with online retailers.
Don’t watch TV much so that aspect of Prime is valueless to me.

I’d been using Amazon occasionally, saving up purchase last until I qualified for free shipping.
I started to get a sense that Amazon was sandbagging delivery I suppose trying to force me to pay for Prime.

I’d order something from Amazon, days later I order something from Walmart.com and the Walmart order, placed 2 days after the Amazon order shows up nearly a week before the Amazon order. Fuck that. I’ll go somewhere else.

Seems like they are commonly not close to being the cheapest option either.

Walmart and going back to EBay have filled the void.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, Mappable said:

I had ordered two pairs when they came back in stock as well, and my shipping said the same on Friday, but they were delivered today. Hope you had good luck as well. 

I have a theory Amazon doesn't care too much about fakes and is paying lip service to fixing the issue. They've been pretty aggressively producing their own Amazon branded versions of best selling products and boxing out their partners who have been selling on the Amazon platform. Wouldn't surprise me if they're working the angle of "only way you can be sure it's not fake is to buy Amazon branded items".

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I have a theory Amazon doesn't care too much about fakes and is paying lip service to fixing the issue. They've been pretty aggressively producing their own Amazon branded versions of best selling products and boxing out their partners who have been selling on the Amazon platform. Wouldn't surprise me if they're working the angle of "only way you can be sure it's not fake is to buy Amazon branded items".

Amazon doesn’t care about fakes, and they’ve integrated their third party sellers so much into their platform that it makes it difficult to distinguish what is real and fake. Just because it says “fulfilled by Amazon” doesn’t mean it’s not counterfeit. This is a growing problem with the site and users do not recognize this as a problem. The “Prime” designation on an item gives it legitimacy in the customer’s eyes, when really it’s just third party sellers trying to make a profit selling counterfeit goods (if the item is indeed, counterfeit)

7 hours ago, MrBig said:

Amazon doesn’t care about fakes, and they’ve integrated their third party sellers so much into their platform that it makes it difficult to distinguish what is real and fake. Just because it says “fulfilled by Amazon” doesn’t mean it’s not counterfeit. This is a growing problem with the site and users do not recognize this as a problem. The “Prime” designation on an item gives it legitimacy in the customer’s eyes, when really it’s just third party sellers trying to make a profit selling counterfeit goods (if the item is indeed, counterfeit)

Yep and 3rd party sellers being allowed to use Prime shopping contributes to the problem. I believe they are required to pay a higher fee to cover the quick shipping so their profit has to come from lower quality. The seller with the real product is pushed out of the market.

and most people don’t realize that just because you see the brand name under the product title or see a valid product SKU, it doesn’t mean anyone validated that it actually came from that manufacturer.

if you receive something suspect, report it to amazon.  Not the seller. I do believe that amazon takes reports seriously and will ban sellers when they’re caught. And while sellers can start over under another name, they also have to start over in the ranking algorithm.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Yes to the previous two posts, but I'm talking specifically about actual Amazon branded products like their Amazon basics line.

Amazon is starting to get flack for these items in terms of how they are developed. Amazon is looking at the top selling items and then using this data to create their own Amazon branded items.

Ditto the AmazonBasics braided iPhone cables. I have had several for 3+ years. 

I also agree with Amazon being flooded with shit products, whether they are knockoffs or some fake brand name you’ve never heard of. Your choice is either the authentic name brand at department store prices or rolling the dice with these other ones at lower prices. Not surprised that there have been safety issues with some of them, all of it seems like knockoff shit from China and we don’t have Iconoclast to tell which are the most authentic looking. For the last 3 returns I have initiated (a big bird toy that looked different than the picture, a pack of diapers my son grew out of, and a Halloween costume we didn’t use), they have refunded me immediately and told me to keep or donate the items. 

8 hours ago, MrBig said:

Amazon is starting to get flack for these items in terms of how they are developed. Amazon is looking at the top selling items and then using this data to create their own Amazon branded items.

yeah, it's been an "issue" for a while.  to me it's the same as grocery stores creating their private labels for bestselling items on their shelves.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah, it's been an "issue" for a while.  to me it's the same as grocery stores creating their private labels for bestselling items on their shelves.

True. China takes American products and copies them and sells them at lower prices. Now American distributors like Amazon and Safeway take American products and copy them and sell them at lower prices. I guess the one saving grace for groceries is that they often simply have the manufacturer make generic versions of their branded product rather than vertically expanding into manufacturing.

We had 87 orders from Amazon in 2019. There were a handful of issues, with the most common and most annoying being items listed as Prime that don't arrive within a reasonable 2-3 day window. There was a point at which I just assumed Prime items would arrive quickly and never paid attention to the estimated delivery date. I had a few things that were much later than expected because they were Prime but they were out of stock, so it was expedited shipping only once they became available again. IMO, they should drop the Prime designation from anything that is not currently ready to ship. After getting burned a couple times I started checking every delivery date, but I've still had a few items that were slower than they advertised.

Despite placing 87 orders last year, I've been trying to limit Amazon usage and divert business elsewhere for several reasons:

-Amazon is bad for small businesses, or even just B&M retailers like Target that I'd like to have stick around. They are the Walmart of the 21st century.

-Like many others, I get tired of searching through a sea of Chinese garbage products with obviously fake reviews.

-I have some degree of guilt over the sheer number of cardboard boxes that are used to deliver random odds and ends we could've bought locally.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with Amazon is when they use the USPS for delivery. Packages rarely arrive when they should. And several times, stuff that has been marked delivered, was delivered later or never showed up. 

Now that I've found an Amazon locker location close to me, that is no longer a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

My biggest issue with Amazon is when they use the USPS for delivery. Packages rarely arrive when they should. And several times, stuff that has been marked delivered, was delivered later or never showed up. 

Now that I've found an Amazon locker location close to me, that is no longer a problem.

I don't know which deliverer has this issue but a few times I've had a package marked as delivered but then it shows up hours later. I assume the delivery guy marked it delivered to meet his #s.

• 4 months later...

Just want to revive this thread to re-emphasize how much Amazon sucks ass and is destroying America.

The site is nothing but Chinese knock-offs, to the point that you can’t even find reliable quality brands unless you know specifically the brand and model you want. Even then, the potential for receiving a fake branded product is high because they don’t manage their supply chain tightly enough.

I see every European and American product copied so closely that the violation of trademarks, copyrights and patents is blatant.

I want to start buying directly from
manufacturers. As soon as UPS and Fedex realize that they can become the warehouses and delivery vehicles for all legitimate manufacturers, they can take on Amazon more effectively and manufacturers can strengthen their brands and their profit margins.

It’s time for all of us to take down Amazon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3