Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Our government is completely lying to us right now. Wouldnt be shocked if the confirmed cases right now were in the tens of thousands

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

A couple of weeks ago people were pretty accepting of the "add a zero to the number of cases" train of thought.

I know I'm an alarmist, but at this point in the game I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was like 3 zeros.

I hope y’all are right. It would be more evidence that it’s less severe and deadly than thought. 1000x more  hospitalizations and deaths would be impossible to hide. 

• Like 2

Just now, GRHorn said:

I hope y’all are right. It would be more evidence that it’s less severe and deadly than thought. 1000x more  hospitalizations and deaths would be impossible to hide. 

Truth.  Unfortunately hospitalization is a lagging indicator.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m starting to realize China’s government may be far more transparent & trustworthy than our own government, at least when it comes to this.

What info do you think they’re withholding?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Jim Bakker ordered to stick to buckets of slop and to stop trying to sell silver solution as a cure for coronavirus 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jim-bakker-silver-solution-coronavirus_n_5e61d846c5b691b525f027c0

Note: photo does not show somebody protected from coronavirus

spacer.png

Holy Crap.  I didn't realize that this bearded shuckster is the '80 TV evangelist that was in jail for fraud.   Can we just send him back to jail.

IMG_IMG_jim.bakker_2.JPG_2_1_NL5G5PST_L1

For you youngsters, this guy was the king of slimeballs.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

In our lives something REALLY bad will hit.  Like a plague we can’t contain.  Bacteria and viruses evolve just like humans.  But this isn’t that one.  

Bacteria get dumber?

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s not that bad. Jesus.  Unless my colleagues are holding out on me.  

Meaning:  it’s bad but she’s crying as if we are all gonna die.  

/drunk-don’t listen to me

Also, looking at her resume, while she may have worked in some capacity on Ebola and Sars, nothing tells me she was on the ground in Africa watching people exsanguinate through their eyeballs and assholes.

She was just some asshole in a lab.  Or behind a computer screen.  And it may simply be the fact that this is going to hit close to home.

• Like 1

I think they are lying about the number of functional/available tests, or poorly informed.

And, since we have nowhere near enough tests, they are deemphasizing testing because we couldn't do it even if we wanted to (which is arguably the case if we hadn't fucked the dog on the tests for the last 30 days).

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think they are lying about the number of functional/available tests, or poorly informed.

And, since we have nowhere near enough tests, they are deemphasizing testing because we couldn't do it even if we wanted to (which is arguably the case if we hadn't fucked the dog on the tests for the last 30 days).

I don't get it. Those tests are pretty fucking simple. Systems for IVD for clinical use can use 96-well or 384-well plates, meaning each machine can do a lot of tests at one time.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/rt-pcr-detection-instructions.html

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, looking at her resume, while she may have worked in some capacity on Ebola and Sars, nothing tells me she was on the ground in Africa watching people exsanguinate through their eyeballs and assholes.

She was just some asshole in a lab.  Or behind a computer screen.  And it may simply be the fact that this is going to hit close to home.

Bleed out wasn’t fancy enough for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

That’s a Costco or similar shelf. That is not what Wegmans looks like. 

Um you are wrong. Fly up and I’ll treat you to a piece of ultimate white cake and show you.  

“Wegmans” is written on boxes (far left) in the damn photograph. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s fucking comical watching other people shit talk how Houston would handle a region-wide crisis. Houston had a fucking curfew after Ike. People lived with it as supplies in the region dwindled and stores were completely closed. Same thing with Harvey. It just handled a full city-wide boil notice on a weekend without a hint of controversy.  We don’t have to predict how Houston will handle a fucking thing.

Now, predicting how the dipshits on this thread will spin out if the mayor of Austin sneezes? Chaos. Complete, bawling, handwringing chaos, buttressed by even more hyperbolic doomsday predictions and absolute declarations of a full-blown federal conspiracy with Trump as some sort of genius mastermind pulling strings behind the scenes. That one is an easy call. 

You’ve stopped your count. What’s it at now?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Holy Crap.  I didn't realize that this bearded shuckster is the '80 TV evangelist that was in jail for fraud.   Can we just send him back to jail.

Not sure if this is serious. The blue bearded guy has (had) been around for awhile. He apparently overdid it on the colloidal silver and turned himself blue. Died a few tears ago, apparently.

https://www.oprah.com/health/the-man-who-turned-blue_1/all

This is a current picture of Jim Bakker:

image.thumb.jpeg.3be5ccabaceccd149b583ff044963aa8.jpeg

1 minute ago, achooloco said:

You’ve stopped your count. What’s it at now?

6 or 7 since mentioning it, but I can’t keep up with the thread due to the continued histrionics. We’ve transitioned from conspiracies at a local level to conspiracies at a global scale. I don’t think local rumors are a driver anymore. 

All that considered, you’re still a whiny bitch running around negging people when they deign to fail to declare a 300million death pandemic spinning out on us in the next 90 days. So there’s that. 

• Like 1

I’ve been as big an “alarmist” here as others but tonight at my local unofficial/unlawful dance club in Astoria, all under 45 and hopefully over 21, and no one gives a shit. Business as usual. Just saying. Everyone smoking hookah and drinking, dancing like normal. I have conflicting trains of thought: 

1)  worry about my 75 year old parents but be reassured by all the naysayers who say this thread is just panic but also

2) look at the cdc and uk officials saying hold onto your butts while I look at some nice ass Latina, Baltic, Portuguese ladies dancing with no worries. 

fuck it, don’t know what to believe. Maybe I’ll just go with the Hemingway quote “I’ll live until I die and I’m not afraid of foxes”

37 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Have you been introduced to his 8 year food supplies that he’s been shilling for several years now?   His buckets of food?   He may have been in the right place at the right time.  

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well they’ve stopped reporting testing numbers (which would actually reduce panic once people see high # of cases & low deaths). 

I'm pretty sure most people are already assuming that without hearing it from the government.  In fact, it's been said multiple times in this thread.  I would argue that most people going on with their normal lives is indicative that they realize their risk of death is still fairly low or at least still lower than dying in a car wreck.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All that considered, you’re still a whiny bitch running around negging people when they deign to fail to declare a 300million death pandemic spinning out on us in the next 90 days. So there’s that. 

Did I say I wasn’t? And no one claimed that so keep being you bro, see you on the other side

Edit: I mean of this corona scare. I honestly do appreciate your call out posts if only cause it’s easy to see the cdc, epidemiologists, government officials from the uk and USA say “prepare and it could get worse” before falling into alarmist personal territory. I am guilty of that. But we’ll see who is/was right. But what is your position? That it is no worse than a flu? Honest question cause I’ve only see your posts say every alarmist is full of shit but not what you actually think will happen or assessment of what “we” are dealing with.

Edited by achooloco

Italy: Age distribution of fatal cases "The majority of deaths 42.2% occurred in the age group between 80 and 89 years, while 32.4% were between 70 and 79, 8.4% between 60 and 69, 2.8% between 50 and 59 and 14.1% above 90 years old"

Spoiler

56.3% of fatalities have been over 80y/o.  88.7% of total have been over 70.

I want to know more about the apparent risk for pulmonary fibrosis and to what degree in those who recover.  That would not be a trivial consequence. 

Furk.  Saw this on CNN. Multiply that by multiple nursing homes and similar facilities

Seventy employees at the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington, are showing symptoms of novel coronavirus, according to Tim Killian, spokesperson for the facility.

There were 180 staff members employed at Life Care Center as of February 19.

Employees showing symptoms have been asked not to return to work, Killian said at a briefing on Saturday. 

There were 120 residents at the facility on February 19, 54 residents have since been transferred to various hospitals, Killian said. 

All current residents are confined to their rooms, Killian added. 

On Thursday, the facility received 45 coronavirus tests, the results of which are still pending, according to Killian.”

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

They are up to 59 confirmed cases.  10th most of any country in the world.

For reference, Iceland has 50.  Weather might not have an effect on this thing.

Yes but it got there early on and hasnt really spread much, I was basing it on that. It seems like things could get much worse there when the weather turns. 

I’ve been as big an “alarmist” here as others but tonight at my local unofficial/unlawful dance club in Astoria, all under 45 and hopefully over 21, and no one gives a shit. Business as usual. Just saying. Everyone smoking hookah and drinking, dancing like normal. I have conflicting trains of thought: 
1)  worry about my 75 year old parents but be reassured by all the naysayers who say this thread is just panic but also
2) look at the cdc and uk officials saying hold onto your butts while I look at some nice ass Latina, Baltic, Portuguese ladies dancing with no worries. 
fuck it, don’t know what to believe. Maybe I’ll just go with the Hemingway quote “I’ll live until I die and I’m not afraid of foxes”

Central Lounge?

Deja vu on 28th ave and 32nd st. English the fourth most spoken language After port, Spanish, And some random ass Baltic language

Probably the Albanians. Yep, that’s Astoria for you. I’m getting hungry just thinking about hitting up the halal carts on Steinway after boozing.

I’m in my 20s and not too worried about dying from this. Would still suck to catch it though, since the long term effects aren’t known.

Sobering to think that if I live long enough, there will come a day when I’m old and will have to worry about something like this. And I’ll be the one listening to young people say it doesn’t concern them. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 2

I have a lot of family 70+ including my 99 year old Grandpa in a nursing home, so to say that people like me aren’t concerned is disingenuous. At least for me, when I post about this it is in reference to the US as a whole and not just how it could or might impact me personally. I am concerned about my elderly family members and of course I do hope that we somehow get a handle on this soon, I just think the talk of millions dead is hyperbolic and unnecessary.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m in my 20s and not too worried about dying from this. Would still suck to catch it though, since the long term effects aren’t known.

Sobering to think that if I live long enough, there will come a day when I’m old and will have to worry about something like this. And I’ll be the one listening to young people say it doesn’t concern them. 

49 here and don’t give a fuck about this. I’ve survived worse. We all gotta go sometime. 

I will be mightily pissed if this is what kills me, though. Or will I...?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away