Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've been going up to my office just to get away from my wife. Hardly anyone is there, and I avoid whoever is.  Even though it's bucee's level clean, I won't even go in the public bathroom if I have an empty bottle in my office.  But I hear the elevator dinging all damn day.  Why would anyone get on an elevator right now?

I don't leave the house except for the occasional walk/drive with the kids. I've gotten takeout delivered a few times and I schedule grocery deliveries from HEB. 

I did take my kids for a drive yesterday just to get them out of the house. No getting out of the car, so no big deal. We drove by home depot and it was absolutely packed. Plenty of people 60 years old + just strolling around like nothing is going. Sigh. 

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We can rarely test people that present covid symptoms, and we don't report hospitalization rates. Outside of reported deaths, I'm uncertain how we will know much.  Decisions are going to trail new trends by over a week.  And when I see projections, they always imply that a week or two of inaction, can have drastic consequences.

Leaders or business owners that want to get back to normal will rightfully start requesting that we start to lower restrictions soon. We all know that is wrong but the govt can't keep the city closed on a hunch.

Dallas is now reporting hospital data every Tues and Fri (numbers of hospitalizations, ICU, ventilated).  That's really the only data I think worth paying attention to here at the moment

Just now, stork642 said:

Did the Chinese soldier hold a gun to George’s head or George’s family while this version was written?

In January, he was quoted saying it originated from the wet markets. He isn't walking back that it started in China but stating that rush to judgement should be withheld until more evidence is found to determine the source...

8 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

In January, he was quoted saying it originated from the wet markets. He isn't walking back that it started in China but stating that rush to judgement should be withheld until more evidence is found to determine the source...

Appreciate you sharing the information. But it is a half-hearted attempted at damage control. What the world needs to see is a sincere apology from China, and until then, nothing else will cut it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man, the gospels left shit out.  Jesus can multiply loaves....fishes.....and Charmin?  I mean, after the 5,000 ate all that bread and fish, I guess a lot of 'em had to take a big dump, so this makes sense.

Maybe the whole sermon was mistranslated.   What if was about pinching a loaf and not fishes and loaves?

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, closetojumping said:

So I had a surreal first hand experience with the scary direction of where this could head, yesterday. My kids were playing in the front of our Galveston house and I look out at them and see four cop vehicles in front of my house. No one is down here hardly at all, so I’m like “WTF is going on?”. 

I go outside and the cops, keeping their distance, are talking to the kids and then see me and the first one up says “Sir, we’re going to have to ask you and your family to pack up and vacate the premises within the next 30 minutes. We’re here to ensure that you do that.”

”First, I’m going to need you to step off my property. “

”Sir”. 

“Step off of my driveway right fucking now, please.” 

Cops back up into the street. 

“Now what is going on?”

”An ordinance was passed last night that requires all short term renters to leave the city and county immediately.”

(I’m infuriated) “Well, that’s not happening. I own this property outright and have for years.”

”Sir, calm down.”

”You’ve shown up to my house to threaten to forcibly remove me in front of my little kids.  Don’t tell me to calm down.”

”The city marshal sent us out here, we’re just doing our jobs. “

”Well and good but you’ve got bad information. We live here.”

”How often do you live here?”

”That is none of your business and a further invasion of my privacy. The hell with it, here is my drivers license. Why don’t y’all call this in and get this shit straight.”

They then do that and apologize profusely and leave. They acted like I had a rattlesnake when I walked towards them to hand them my license. 

Apparently, a busybody Karen down the street who lives here permanently decided that we were renters and needed to be tattled on. We’ve filed complaints regarding this bullshit to the POA and sent an email directly to the marshal himself asking for an explanation of what fucking evidence he thought he had to do something like that and literally said in the email, “pandemic or not, this isn’t nazi Germany and we have rights as private citizens. “ Fucking bullshit. 

Meanwhile, hotels and RV parks remained fucking open until enough complaints went in last night and now they’re closing all of those. 

I also saw a fucking story from KHOU today showing people how they can anonymously rat on businesses for being open that they think shouldn’t be. If this is where we’re headed, people won’t tolerate it en masse more sooner than later and we’ll throw the whole premise of sheltering in place out the window and take our fucking chances. I’d rather die heaving on a hospital floor than live under a police state where the next door neighbor can have you thrown in jail on a whim. 

Sorry for the rant. 

And that cop‘s name? Albert Einstein. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

A conservative evangelical pastor has suggested to his followers that God will help multiply their toilet rolls amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In a clip posted to Twitter, pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, leader of the Florida-based Revival Ministries International, told his congregation that “this should be a time of supernatural sustenance, where what you have in your hand will multiply.”

“And every day there will be multiplications,” he continued. “You look at your toilet paper and you think I’m going to run out of toilet paper, but you have another roll where that one was and you don’t know how did that even take place.”

Howard-Brown added: “Are the toilet paper rolls getting together and having families now? What is taking place? When you look again, there’s still enough. You think you’re going to run out but when you look again there’s still enough. That’s supernatural sustenance.”

https://getaka.co.in/usa-news/conservative-pastor-who-refused-to-close-church-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-suggests-god-will-help-by-multiplying-toilet-rolls/

Usually these crooks aren't so declarative with the supernatural bullshit. This is a funny one 

So...like a menorah, but with toilet paper? That's already been done...

Insert "The Jews did this" meme

4 minutes ago, gecko said:

More of Dr. Nicole Saphier please. Thank you Fox Business

Do I have to do every fucking thing around here?

694940094001_5825316017001_5825311470001

8606fb2930e86f45ff983bef095a7196.jpg

EQK70BhXkAAIJkz.jpg

DRmtAJRVQAAQyFx.jpg

Nicole B. Saphier, MD

Radiologist

Titles

Director of Breast Imaging, MSK Monmouth; Interim Director of Breast Imaging, MSK Basking Ridge

Clinical Expertise

Oncologic and Breast Imaging; Breast Intervention

giphy.gif

She did get her MD from a for-profit med school in Barbados.

• Like 7

694940094001_5825316017001_5825311470001-vs.jpg
EQK70BhXkAAIJkz.jpg
DRmtAJRVQAAQyFx.jpg
Nicole B. Saphier, MD
Radiologist
Titles
Director of Breast Imaging, MSK Monmouth; Interim Director of Breast Imaging, MSK Basking Ridge
Clinical Expertise
giphy.gif

Yeah, but it’s radiology. Besides, those fuckers bank!

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

This took way to long to call and it still is far from perfect. People will still travel across the state and cases will spread. This requires uniformity across the state (and the nation to be honest).

Florida being late to call is very on brand.

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't understand that. Just run it thru April and see what happens. Seems like overreach. 

It's actually pretty smart, IMO. Set the table now with restrictions. Can reassess later and relax the restrictions if possible/need be. It gets rid of a lot insecurity regarding what is going to happen tomorrow. Now folks from these states are informed to hunker down for the inevitable.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I don't understand that. Just run it thru April and see what happens. Seems like overreach. 

Yeah, looking for the official order. Saw Bay Area is extended. But could be modified as things progress. I also wonder if the numbers being reported are off and governments know it could get quite worse before it gets better. 

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-dr-anthony-fauci-discusses-coronavirus-on-face-the-nation-march-15-2020/

MARGARET BRENNAN: How do we get ahead of it?

DR. FAUCI: Well, the way you get ahead of it is that as -  as I try to explain to people, that I want people to assume that I'm over- or that we are overreacting, because if it looks like you're overreacting, you're probably doing the right thing, because we know from China, from South Korea, from Italy, that what the virus does, it goes- percolates along and then it takes off.

What may seem like overreaction today is what the top epidemiologists in the nation are saying are the right thing to make the biggest impact.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's actually pretty smart, IMO. Set the table now with restrictions. Can reassess later and relax the restrictions if possible/need be. It gets rid of a lot insecurity regarding what is going to happen tomorrow. Now folks from these states are informed to hunker down for the inevitable.

That's a really good point. Didn't think of that.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

A friend who is a chemist for a pharma co said that it [chloroquine] had been approved, fwiw.

No. Not approved - authorized for emergency use, there's a difference. 

Along those lines, Gilead pulled back remdesivir from compassionate use - which is a process that allows a new, unapproved drug to be used for people who have no other treatment available. The issue is that those are often done as one-off, small group studies as was done for Ebola. It's not the best way to understand the efficacy of a drug during a pandemic. 

This was done to enable larger, world-wide clinical studies like the SOLIDARITY Study by the WHO, as a part of a process called 'Expanded Access' which allows the testing of larger groups of people simultaneously under a single blanked designation. The study will test thousands across the globe in a randomized adaptive trial looking at multiple single-agents and combinations : 

The drugs to be tested are the antiviral drug remdesivir; a combination of two HIV drugs, lopinavir and ritonavir; lopinavir and ritonavir plus interferon beta; and the antimalarial drug chloroquine. All show some evidence of effectiveness against the SARS-CoV 2 virus, which causes Covid-19, either in vitro and/or animal studies.

Edited by Txzen

3 minutes ago, Txzen said:

No. Not approved - authorized for emergency use, there's a difference. 

Along those lines, Gilead pulled back remdesivir from compassionate use - which is a process that allows a new, unapproved drug to be used for people who have no other treatment available. The issue is that those are often done as one-off, small group studies as was done for Ebola. It's not the best way to understand the efficacy of a drug during a pandemic. 

This was done to enable larger, world-wide clinical studies like the SOLIDARITY Study by the WHO, as a part of a process called 'Expanded Access' which allows the testing of larger groups of people simultaneously under a single blanked designation. The study will test thousands across the globe in a randomized adaptive trial looking at multiple single-agents and combinations : 

Just gimme the whole shootin match and I’ll take my chances with drug interactions.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Being completely honest here, why don’t we just shut the entire country down for 2 weeks and take the short term hit on the economy vs playing this waiting game that will last longer?

I agree.  But as said repeatedly afterwards...they probably couldn't really enforce it, and people would still do what they want.

6 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yeah if they tried shutting down grocery stores people would riot.  Only potential measures they could take are closing all businesses except grocery stores and medical facilities and assigning times when folks can go to the store (e.g. people whose last name starts with A-D can go on Sunday, E-H Monday, etc.).  But there’s simply not the manpower to deliver food or truly enforce a quarantine.  If the shelter in place that most major cities already have in place doesn’t work, it’s over, and herd immunity or a miracle cure/vaccine are the only things that can fix it (or the end of civilization).

They should have done something like this.  ACTUAL Essential business, like Grocery Stores/Pharmacies stayed open.  Not every damned business in the state basically.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One good way to solve that problem would be federal mandate so it’s not the fault of the local constabulary when the lockdown happens. 

Also agree...since even Abbot won't do it for Texas, leaving Counties and Cities to decide, it makes it tougher.

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

694940094001_5825316017001_5825311470001

EQK70BhXkAAIJkz.jpg

DRmtAJRVQAAQyFx.jpg

Nicole B. Saphier, MD

Radiologist

Titles

Clinical Expertise

giphy.gif

Silk thong.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NY City only reported, as of the morning tally, 24 new deaths since yesterday afternoon (the 24 hour number would be this afternoons), so I wonder exactly what the timing of the inclusion of the NYC numbers is in Cuomo's numbers.

Thank you for clarifying. So are you going to fess up or do I have to keep reading the guesses? :) 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away