Theranos' Death Rattle

TwiceHorn

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Silicon Valley series on HBO should have switched gears and deal with the medical startups, because I can picture this.

Just set the machines to have a 5% positivity rates.... sort of like a slot machine payout and society will have moved on to the next crisis of the day before anyone figures it out.

if anyone calls bullshit on the results, just say that your widget is so far advanced that it’s picking up positives no other testing can and invalidating other method’s negatives.

a PowerPoint, some smoke and a few mirrors and you have a revolutionary device. 

• 8 months later...

Holmes, once a Silicon Valley darling, is facing federal wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud charges in connection with allegedly deceiving investors, patients and doctors about her company’s blood testing technology.

Yet customers are raving about their product purchases on social media.

In one TikTok, a young woman is seen posing in a mirror wearing a pink T-shirt that reads “Elizabeth Holmes is my #GirlBoss.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/elizabeth-holmes-swag-sales-soaring-online.html?utm_source=morning_brew

18 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Holmes, once a Silicon Valley darling, is facing federal wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud charges in connection with allegedly deceiving investors, patients and doctors about her company’s blood testing technology.

In one TikTok, a young woman is seen posing in a mirror wearing a pink T-shirt that reads “Elizabeth Holmes is my #GirlBoss.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/elizabeth-holmes-swag-sales-soaring-online.html?utm_source=morning_brew

People also wear Tony Montana Scarface t-shirts. 

• Haha 3

Just set the machines to have a 5% positivity rates.... sort of like a slot machine payout and society will have moved on to the next crisis of the day before anyone figures it out.
if anyone calls bullshit on the results, just say that your widget is so far advanced that it’s picking up positives no other testing can and invalidating other method’s negatives.
a PowerPoint, some smoke and a few mirrors and you have a revolutionary device. 

Shut up and take my money (then cash me out early)

If Holmes had dedicated herself to an app or to software, she might be a very wealthy and very legal free woman right now. But nope, she stubbornly pursued perhaps the most difficult segment of the tech industry. Medical testing. Despite every single professor she had at Stanford telling her that her tech was too small to physically work. As in her blood testing device would have to defy the laws of physics to perform the functions she said it could do. 

I think she was prettiest girl in the room in a geek, male dominated world. Omg, the pretty blonde talked to me in a Steve Jobs computer voice. After I change my corduroys, I have to invest!  She should face legal consequences for endangering people, but her investors got what they got.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 7:23 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

If Holmes had dedicated herself to an app or to software, she might be a very wealthy and very legal free woman right now. But nope, she stubbornly pursued perhaps the most difficult segment of the tech industry. Medical testing. Despite every single professor she had at Stanford telling her that her tech was too small to physically work. As in her blood testing device would have to defy the laws of physics to perform the functions she said it could do. 

I think she was prettiest girl in the room in a geek, male dominated world. Omg, the pretty blonde talked to me in a Steve Jobs computer voice. After I change my corduroys, I have to invest!  She should face legal consequences for endangering people, but her investors got what they got.

There were hotter chicks in engineering at UT 30 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

She's planning an "It's All His Fault" defense....

Elizabeth Holmes, the disgraced founder and former CEO of Theranos whose criminal trial is set to begin in a matter of days, is likely to defend herself by claiming she was the victim of a decade-long abusive relationship with her ex-boyfriend, also a former Theranos executive, court documents reveal.

According to the newly unsealed documents, Holmes plans to have an expert testify about the psychological, emotional and sexual abuse she experienced from Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani, who served as the company's COO, including the abusive tactics he allegedly used to "exert control" as well as the psychological impact. Balwani, according to a court filing, "adamantly denies" the claims.

Holmes is also "likely to testify herself to the reasons why she believed, relied on, and deferred to Mr. Balwani," according to a filing from Holmes' attorney.

In a separate filing from Balwani's attorneys, they acknowledge Holmes' plans to introduce evidence that Balwani verbally disparaged her, controlled what she ate, how she dressed, and who she interacted with, "essentially dominating her and erasing her capacity to make decisions." The filing calls the allegations "deeply offensive to Mr. Balwani" and "devastating personally to him."

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

I'm listening to a podcast that analyzes the government's case: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bad-blood-the-final-chapter/id1575738174

It was written/produced/narrated by John Carreyrou. He broke the Theranos Fraud story at the Wall Street Journal. 

I think she walks. The destroyed hard drive makes it a she said the government said case. 

That said, the government has a 91% conviction rate in federal court. If I had her money, I wouldn't take a plea either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I listened to a whole podcast on this story while driving from Denver to Phoenix a while back. Just fascinating.

I’m no league eagle so I wonder if any of the dipshits that got took bear any responsibility for not verifying if the tech actually existed or worked.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It was written/produced/narrated by John Carreyrou. He broke the Theranos Fraud story at the Wall Street Journal. 

I think she walks. The destroyed hard drive makes it a she said the government said case. 

That said, the government has a 91% conviction rate in federal court. If I had her money, I wouldn't take a plea either. 

Had her money? What money? Wasn't she completely busted with the dissolution of the facade?

Also, I think there is no way she walks unless somehow the jury buys her victim act as she throws her ex under the bus. That would entail her not talking like a weirdo and being a human and not wearing black, which would be an interesting to see because it's a tacit admission of her sociopathy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:23 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

I still have on logo golf ball (I keep a very small collection of these things) that has the Enron logo - how much could I get for that?

It's stunning how quickly she went from feminist icon to I'm just a naive confused girl manipulated by a bad man.  I can't blame her as I'd claim to be a sooner fan if I thought it might help keep me out of prison, but it's still funny.

As twicehorn said, we're about to get an example of the gender disparity in sentencing.  I notice she even had a kid a few months ago. I'm no criminal lawyer, but if I were dreaming up a dream client to defend on criminal charges it would be a white mother of a newborn.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Not a cat said:

It's stunning how quickly she went from feminist icon to I'm just a naive confused girl manipulated by a bad man.  I can't blame her as I'd claim to be a sooner fan if I thought it might help keep me out of prison, but it's still funny.

As twicehorn said, we're about to get an example of the gender disparity in sentencing.  I notice she even had a kid a few months ago. I'm no criminal lawyer, but if I were dreaming up a dream client to defend on criminal charges it would be a white mother of a newborn.

This is where Critical Race Theory type things come into play.

Most federal judges are privileged white men, and, if they aren't, they have "incubated" in an environment heavily populated and influenced by privileged white men. Rather than seeing white collar defendants as having less justification for their depraved acts than a poor, brown drug addict, for example, they tend to think of them as professionals like themselves that had some type of momentary lapse and most have the intelligence and moral character to overcome.  And all that probably goes double for a vaguely attractive white chick.

Something I left off:  I think the more justifiable (sentencing) evaluation is that more should be expected from privileged white people than from poor brown drug addicts, and the privileged white people should be sentenced at least as harshly.  The white person will also likely get more credit for (and have more resources to prove) mitigations like substance abuse, or affluenza, or psychological abuse by Texas Exes.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm listening to this podcast right now and I read the book.  Given this is how I make a living it is really hitting home to me.  

CSB warning: Around 2014 Theranos sent a couple of representatives to our lab to "evaluate" their technology.  They met us in one of our conference rooms, made us sign NDAs and passed around notebooks supposedly outlining their technology.  We flipped through it and listened to their spiel.  Afterwards we said "That all sounds great, but where is your data?  I don't see anything in your presentation materials that remotely supports the claims you are making.  You are welcome to come back with data, or more ideally loan us one of your machines for us to evaluate ourselves then we can talk endorsement and sales."

We never heard from them again. 

She deserves to do real jail time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 3:46 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I wonder if she will use her real voice or the Theranos voice in court?

Would be funny as hell if she uses her fake voice and then the prosecution’s lawyers do their lawyering in obvious fake voices.  “Your honor of the witness gets to use a fake voice, then I feel it appropriate for me to use a fake voice.”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Would be funny as hell if she uses her fake voice and then the prosecution’s lawyers do their lawyering in obvious fake voices.  “Your honor of the witness gets to use a fake voice, then I feel it appropriate for me to use a fake voice.”

I mean, you talk that way long enough you train/strain your vocal cords and it eventually becomes your real voice.  Clearly it was a fake voice but unless she’s talking normally every time she’s off camera it’s likely not fake anymore.

4 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Lead counsel for the prosecution 

Bobcat-Goldthwait-Police-Academy-3-1.jpg

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

ABC News is at the trial and they reported the prosecution introduced a Pfizer memo that Holmes allegedly forged into evidence. It should be pretty easy to prove that didn’t come from Pfizer. 

If it holds up, oh boy, that’s pretty damning. 

It was signed by phteven?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

ABC News is at the trial and they reported the prosecution introduced a Pfizer memo that Holmes allegedly forged into evidence. It should be pretty easy to prove that didn’t come from Pfizer. 

If it holds up, oh boy, that’s pretty damning. 

John Carreyrou (sp?) did a podcast this summer going over the evidence he knows about and what her defense will be.  I'll be absolutely stunned if she gets off.  Too much evidence out there for anything other than PMITA prison (the white collar version, of course).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

John Carreyrou (sp?) did a podcast this summer going over the evidence he knows about and what her defense will be.  I'll be absolutely stunned if she gets off.  Too much evidence out there for anything other than PMITA prison (the white collar version, of course).

Yeah I've been listening to that one too. Bad Blood : Final Chapter. He's an excellent reporter and a pretty good podcaster. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

White, politically connected females don’t go to prison any more.  She will pay a fine and not be allowed to serve as a director or officer of any company for a couple of years and that will be about the extent of it.

By 2025 she will launch her next start up that sells cold fusion powered dildos.

13 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Paywall 

i thought the headline sufficiently describes how fucking stupid it is.  authored by the lady who had an affair with someone at kleiner perkins and sued them for gender discrimination and lost. 

But after it was revealed that Theranos was not transparent when its blood-testing equipment failed, it became clear that the company would be the exception that proves the rule that tech chief executives rarely face the full consequences of the harm they cause...

Questionable, unethical, even dangerous behavior has run rampant in the male-dominated world of tech start-ups. Though never charged with crimes, WeWork’s Adam Neumann and Uber’s Travis Kalanick hyped their way into raising over $10 billion for their companies, claiming they would disrupt their stagnant, tired industries...

Remember the accusations of harassment, privacy violations, price gouging, misleading advertising and any of the other dozens of scandals at Uber? How about the genocide incited on Facebook in Myanmar, or its engagement-centric approach that led to the proliferation of anti-vaccination propaganda on the platform? Neither Mr. Kalanick nor Mark Zuckerberg has faced any significant legal consequences.

lol @ the comparisons

• Rage+1 2