Jump to content
Gil Bang

I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Recommended Posts

One of my colleagues got her antibodies results back, and she has them. That’s the second person I know who has antibodies who didn’t test positive, but was sick in Jan/Feb in NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, TxTower said:

How old is your brother?

sorry missed your question, he just turned 38

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One of my colleagues got her antibodies results back, and she has them. That’s the second person I know who has antibodies who didn’t test positive, but was sick in Jan/Feb in NYC.

We have a guy at work that was sick around Feb, got pretty bad off about 2 months ago and tested negative for it twice but tested positive for the antibodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife has started to have shortness of breath and a headache.  I had a blistering headache yesterday, and I typically don't get them.  She's going in for a test this afternoon.  If she's positive, the rest of us will get tested.  I had an antibodies test about 10 days ago as part of a routine blood test I get every 14 weeks.  I won't hear until Thursday, but I'm guessing it will come back negative.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it for the Binding Antibody or the Neutralizing Antibody?  Or both?  I'm curious how they decide.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Was it for the Binding Antibody or the Neutralizing Antibody?  Or both?  I'm curious how they decide.  

No idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been sick for about five days. No fever, slight cough, and congestion, but I'm really tired.

So now my brain is like "OMG you have corona."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Do you know how you might have caught it?

i-have-no-idea-gothic-ringer-crop-top-00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we had a handyman at our house on saturday.  he's had symptoms since monday and just got tested.  no symptoms in my house yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

we had a handyman at our house on saturday.  he's had symptoms since monday and just got tested.  no symptoms in my house yet.

Can you transfer me your rep when you die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if i knew how to do stuff like that i wouldn't have needed a handyman in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had coworkers exposed and develop classic COVID symptoms but both tested negative. Thankfully they are both fine now and Thankfully we still work remotely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Xian said:

My father in law has it. He is in his 60s and doctor in Miami. 
Everyone wanted him to stay home but he kept working since it was “his duty”.

He has had trouble breathing and a constant 102 fever but tested negative for covid at first so they wouldn’t admit him in the hospital for an X-ray or treatment. The hospitals are that packed.

My mother in law knows somebody who runs a “X-ray at home business” for the elderly where they come to your house to take an X-ray.   In my FiLs own words, his “lungs looked like shit”. Hospital still wouldn’t take him.  

His breathing got so bad that they found a family friend who has oxygen tanks and he started self medicating with oxygen. 

Well, he collapsed in the shower last night and was rushed to the hospital again.  Oxygen was in the 40s. They still wouldn’t admit him until the nurse started screaming at the bureaucrat who is in charge of checking people in.   At midnight he tested positive finally (3rd or 4th test) and is currently on a respirator. 

My in-laws are relatively wealthy and well connected  I can’t imagine being poor in the same condition   

im tearing up now.  I really want my 5 month old daughter to grow up knowing her abuelo.   He is a great man. fled his homeland after getting word the secret police were after him for handing out political cartoons. Came to American with nothing, saving up all his money for six years to get his wife and young children over here out starvation.  Basically the American dream.   After all that sacrifice his life is finally going well.  His first three grandchildren were born in the last 10 months.  Now this happens. Life isn’t fair, Is it? 

🙏🙏🙏's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FiL still in icu on respirator.  MiL started having trouble breather so went to clinic.  Pneumonia in both lungs.  
It’s just all so frustrating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 1:00 PM, 4th&Five said:

we had a handyman at our house on saturday.  he's had symptoms since monday and just got tested.  no symptoms in my house yet.

Update: he still hasn’t gotten his results. Ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Update: he still hasn’t gotten his results. Ridiculous. 

My inlaws got tested Friday morning and had results back by Friday night.  They're in a high risk group, ages 80 and 82, so maybe they were prioritized?  

And... yay... they both tested positive.  They don't seem to be on trek for hospitalization so that's good, they're not feeling great but they're hanging in there.

Edited by utee94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Update.  
 

no real update. Which I guess is a good thing. 
still on a respirator.  Going to try a plasma treatment tomorrow. (Hopefully). Had to pull some strings to get him considered.  
 

as I said in my first post. If he had been poor or not had connections, he would have been one more death statistic by now. 

Edited by Xian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Xian said:

Update.  
no real update. Which I guess is a good thing. 
still on a respirator.  Going to try a plasma treatment tomorrow. (Hopefully). Had to pull some strings to get him considered.  
as I said in my first post. If he had been poor or not had connections, he would have been one more death statistic by now. 

Strength and perseverance to the entire family. Hang in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FIL's test results came back Thursday - positive.  He came home from a vacation in Florida (figures) and then sat maskless next to this guy (https://kfdm.com/news/local/july-30-interview-with-beaumont-anesthesiologist-dr-ray-callas-whos-battling-covid-19) at a restaurant(grrr) a week ago Friday and then came over to my house for 2 hours.

Woke up at 4am this morning with headache, body aches, 101 fever, and cough.  Wife and I just did the molecular sinus swab test at CVS this morning. Her symptoms are milder, zero taste and smell, and I can still taste a little but feel like shit otherwise.

@Xian Our thoughts and prayers are with your FIL and family.

How fast can this be passed?  in other words, if FIL was exposed at noon, and I gave him a bro hug at 6pm, did I get it from him or was I previously exposed?

Edited by BearSchlong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

How fast can this be passed?  in other words, if FIL was exposed at noon, and I gave him a bro hug at 6pm, did I get it from him or was I previously exposed?

I'm pretty sure it's a couple days before a person becomes infectious. Guess it's possible whatever was on his clothes or body jumped onto you in your hug. Of course there's any number of other possibilities in our daily lives, even if we're being careful.

Best wishes to BearSchlong and Xian and your families. We appreciate the updates here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That's why I think he actually picked it up in Florida and brought it back here, and the doctor he was with got it from an asymptomatic patient or nurse in parallel.

Edited by BearSchlong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 8:54 PM, Dbeasy said:

Do you know how you might have caught it?

Test came back negative!

I wonder now how much of it was in my mind. My brain was kind of messing with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positive for the antibodies, but never had any severe symptoms. Best I could tell was I may have had it late-June. 
I have a customer that’s been on a respirator for 20+ days. He’s still fighting it, but not looking good and no telling how damaged he’ll be if he gets out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Xian said:

Well, he collapsed in the shower last night and was rushed to the hospital again.  Oxygen was in the 40s. They still wouldn’t admit him until the nurse started screaming at the bureaucrat who is in charge of checking people in.   At midnight he tested positive finally (3rd or 4th test) and is currently on a respirator. 

That makes no sense. O2 in the 40's gets intubated quickly unless it responds to high flow oxygen and either scenario is an automatic admission. There are no bureaucrats sitting in hospital ED's that decide who gets admitted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

That makes no sense. O2 in the 40's gets intubated quickly unless it responds to high flow oxygen and either scenario is an automatic admission. There are no bureaucrats sitting in hospital ED's that decide who gets admitted. 

I’m in Texas, so can only go by what my Frantic MiL says via my frantic wife.   I have a feeling they are/were in triage mode.  Plus at the time he had tested negative for covid multiple times. They were worried that if he didn’t have it, he would catch it by being there.   He didn’t test positive till later that night/morning. 
 

no real update today. Still waiting for the plasma treatment to start. Not sure why there is a delay, but MiL said something about the supply being at another hospital and they limiting who gets treatment, but I don’t know the exact details.    Apparently he had an anxiety attack last night, but besides that no change.  
 

thanks for all the well wishes. To be honest, writing these updates has been pretty cathartic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bookman said:

Test came back negative!

I wonder now how much of it was in my mind. My brain was kind of messing with me.

 

7D33F622-8474-4BD4-BBA7-62AB795E8343.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7D33F622-8474-4BD4-BBA7-62AB795E8343.jpeg.9925cfb4d2ca39ce5c919211dd9f4faa.jpeg
So much truth. When I take Tylenol and the fever breaks and the body aches go away, I take stock of myself, decide I don't feel so bad, and wonder if this is all in my head. That the tests will come back negative and that I've developed some kind of munchhausens syndrome over too much worry and isolation since March.

Then the low grade fever returns, and my skin just hurts. All of it.

This isn't in my head. Just took my 2nd dose of Tylenol today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Xian said:

My father in law has it. He is in his 60s and doctor in Miami. 
Everyone wanted him to stay home but he kept working since it was “his duty”.

He has had trouble breathing and a constant 102 fever but tested negative for covid at first so they wouldn’t admit him in the hospital for an X-ray or treatment. The hospitals are that packed.

My mother in law knows somebody who runs a “X-ray at home business” for the elderly where they come to your house to take an X-ray.   In my FiLs own words, his “lungs looked like shit”. Hospital still wouldn’t take him.  

His breathing got so bad that they found a family friend who has oxygen tanks and he started self medicating with oxygen. 

Well, he collapsed in the shower last night and was rushed to the hospital again.  Oxygen was in the 40s. They still wouldn’t admit him until the nurse started screaming at the bureaucrat who is in charge of checking people in.   At midnight he tested positive finally (3rd or 4th test) and is currently on a respirator. 

My in-laws are relatively wealthy and well connected  I can’t imagine being poor in the same condition   

im tearing up now.  I really want my 5 month old daughter to grow up knowing her abuelo.   He is a great man. fled his homeland after getting word the secret police were after him for handing out political cartoons. Came to American with nothing, saving up all his money for six years to get his wife and young children over here out starvation.  Basically the American dream.   After all that sacrifice his life is finally going well.  His first three grandchildren were born in the last 10 months.  Now this happens. Life isn’t fair, Is it? 

Praying for he and your fam 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We ever hear about the possible murder/suicide with Junior Miller?

I don’t think he’s posted since he went batshit crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doc down! Doc down!

I’m going on day 8 of Covid but was out of town and waited to get back before testing yesterday. We are cotesting our point of care antigen test with the standard PCR so my rapid came back positive first which means the PCR test will likely as well. I probably picked the infection up at work prior to my time off as I saw several positive patients prior to my time off and started with symptoms 4 days after my last shift.

I quarantined off when I started with symptoms. Headache, body aches, slight fatigue and chills but no fever, cough or shortness of breath. Loss of smell four days prior and it’s starting to come back intermittently. It’s so weird to not taste or smell. Actually, I can taste salt and bitter so it’s really just my smell that’s affected.

I’m pretty sure that my Vitamin D level is sufficient, I am normal weight and exercise 5 days a week but with pushing 50, I feel fortunate to have a mild case. I did not consider taking additional supplements or prescriptions. I probably have some coronavirus immune factors since I see sick kids all the time in my practice.

It will be good to get this out of the way and from the evidence I see, I wouldn’t worry about reinfection for several months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Xian said:

I’m in Texas, so can only go by what my Frantic MiL says via my frantic wife.  

I think I see the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Xian said:

I’m in Texas, so can only go by what my Frantic MiL says via my frantic wife.   I have a feeling they are/were in triage mode.  Plus at the time he had tested negative for covid multiple times. They were worried that if he didn’t have it, he would catch it by being there.   He didn’t test positive till later that night/morning. 
 

no real update today. Still waiting for the plasma treatment to start. Not sure why there is a delay, but MiL said something about the supply being at another hospital and they limiting who gets treatment, but I don’t know the exact details.    Apparently he had an anxiety attack last night, but besides that no change.  
 

thanks for all the well wishes. To be honest, writing these updates has been pretty cathartic. 

After putting it off for some time, I finally got around to donating convalescent plasma last Tuesday. I heard it was kind of painful but it wasn't at all in my experience. Part of my reasoning to donate was to get another antibody test to see how immune I may or may not still be. Was advised that Carter Blood Care only gives tests to those doing regular donations. I believe they test my plasma somewhere along the way to confirm COVID-19 antibodies but I know they can use it whether It does or not. Still, I'd like to know where I stand as far as antibodies go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving down I20 on Saturday in East Texas, there was a water park that was full to the gills with people.  A large stairwell all the way to the top to ride a waterslide down....full of people, basically on top of each other.  Lots of social distancing down your way, just can't imagine why this thing is spreading.....

One woman I work with came back yesterday, she had very little issue with it.  Turns out her daughters friend had symptoms and wasn't feeling great but kept coming over to their house anyways.  Womans daughter called her out on it finally and then entire family got tested.  Friend, daughter and coworker all got it, however another friend(whom had been around them everytime) and the rest of coworkers family all tested negative and showed no symptoms.

Another co-worker rode in a car with someone who later that day tested positive and she has been quarantined but so far has not tested positive.  Way more drama than the first go round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't stop, just driving thru.  Taking kiddo back to LA he's got school next week.  I've got a 5 month pregnant momma at home ain'tnobodygottimeforthat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the antibody test day before yesterday while I was waiting for the actual real test results - those were negative.  Wife and I both got positive RNA test results today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, C-Man said:

After putting it off for some time, I finally got around to donating convalescent plasma last Tuesday. I heard it was kind of painful but it wasn't at all in my experience. Part of my reasoning to donate was to get another antibody test to see how immune I may or may not still be. Was advised that Carter Blood Care only gives tests to those doing regular donations. I believe they test my plasma somewhere along the way to confirm COVID-19 antibodies but I know they can use it whether It does or not. Still, I'd like to know where I stand as far as antibodies go.

$10. Schedule online.  Took 5 minutes.  Results in less than 24 hours.

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

$10. Schedule online.  Took 5 minutes.  Results in less than 24 hours.

https://www.labcorp.com/antibody-testing

Full blood draw or finger-prick? Got an EM response for Carter that they don't test the plasma that I give through that program. I have to think somebody is somewhere along the supply line, right? Or is this just another example of where we flat-out suck gigantic ass in our COVID-19 practices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Got the antibody test day before yesterday while I was waiting for the actual real test results - those were negative.  Wife and I both got positive RNA test results today.

Good luck to y'all...seems like symptoms have been around a few days, so hopefully you're on the back end of it. Lots of people keep testing positive for a while even when they feel recovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good luck to y'all...seems like symptoms have been around a few days, so hopefully you're on the back end of it. Lots of people keep testing positive for a while even when they feel recovered.
Sick since Saturday AM, its now Thursday and the worst day so far. Today is the first day I've stayed in bed mostly. Been trying to push through.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2020 at 12:16 AM, mulletpelini said:

I didn't stop, just driving thru.  Taking kiddo back to LA he's got school next week.  I've got a 5 month pregnant momma at home ain'tnobodygottimeforthat

Where's he in school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 1:16 PM, Newdoc said:

Doc down! Doc down!

I’m going on day 8 of Covid but was out of town and waited to get back before testing yesterday. We are cotesting our point of care antigen test with the standard PCR so my rapid came back positive first which means the PCR test will likely as well. I probably picked the infection up at work prior to my time off as I saw several positive patients prior to my time off and started with symptoms 4 days after my last shift.

I quarantined off when I started with symptoms. Headache, body aches, slight fatigue and chills but no fever, cough or shortness of breath. Loss of smell four days prior and it’s starting to come back intermittently. It’s so weird to not taste or smell. Actually, I can taste salt and bitter so it’s really just my smell that’s affected.

I’m pretty sure that my Vitamin D level is sufficient, I am normal weight and exercise 5 days a week but with pushing 50, I feel fortunate to have a mild case. I did not consider taking additional supplements or prescriptions. I probably have some coronavirus immune factors since I see sick kids all the time in my practice.

It will be good to get this out of the way and from the evidence I see, I wouldn’t worry about reinfection for several months.

I was reading the CDC site and it says that healthcare workers can go to work 10 days after their symptoms first appear. That sounded way too soon for my liking. I would think it would be 10 days from the last day of symptoms. Anyway, now that you have had it when do you think you should go back to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...