I think I may have Covid-19 thread - 2 confirmed cases

Gil Bang

trying to gage my exposure and whether we should start freaking out...

had lunch (outside) with my goddaughter last Tuesday (12/22).

Christmas Eve she calls and her boyfriend tested positive and is pretty sick. she got tested - negative. 

everybody feels fine. 

she calls today and got tested again b/c she started getting a stuffy nose a couple days ago...and she's now positive. 

she lives with the boyfriend and has been nursing him since last week, so it's possible she caught it later...but i guess i can now say i've had direct contact with someone who has tested positive within the past 10 days. 

i don't even get cedar fever so i'm not even sneezing. 

wait it out? should we go get tested now?

since she tested negative a week ago (before testing positive today)...is it more likely she only caught it recently when his viral load was way up?

or are 'false negatives' pretty prevalent? for some reason i thought false positives were more likely...

dammit

Christmas Eve she calls and her boyfriend tested positive and is pretty sick. she got tested - negative. 
everybody feels fine. 
she calls today and got tested again b/c she started getting a stuffy nose a couple days ago...and she's now positive. 
she lives with the boyfriend and has been nursing him since last week, so it's possible she caught it later...but i guess i can now say i've had direct contact with someone who has tested positive within the past 10 days. 
since she tested negative a week ago (before testing positive today)...is it more likely she only caught it recently when his viral load was way up?
or are 'false negatives' pretty prevalent? for some reason i thought false positives were more likely...
dammit
My son who lives with me tested positive on Monday. I locked him in his room and locked down his bathroom for him only. My 73 year old mom lives me also. We decided to wait to get tested until we showed symptoms. Looking good for us even though I have to take him food. He is 20 and healthy so all he has is cold symptoms and lost his taste and smell. As for you, do what makes you fell comfortable, it's your choice and getting a test is easy, at least it is on Katy. As for my son, I am going to have some fun and start spiking his food with hot sauce, he doesn't like it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Attorney in my office was looking low energy, mostly not eating. He is a round guy, with all the bad co-morbidities.

Anyway, after some resistance I booted him out of the office Monday b/c he looked like shit. I told him to see a doctor. He called in sick Tues and Wed. His wife just posted on FB that he is in ICU with Covid and pneumonia.

Furk! I guess I have to get tested...like my whole department. I hope he makes it.

22 minutes ago, mchookem said:

everybody feels fine. 

dammit

So your last exposure was outside on 12.22 (9 days) ago, you have no symptoms?  You do what you want but median time to show symptoms from infection is 4-5 days and if you are 9 in you are at about the 90-95% part of the curve.  Remember CDC changed their quarantine guidance to 10 days no symptoms or 7 days no symptoms and negative test.   

• Hook 'Em 2

No lecture tone intended here, but everyone needs to stop all social gatherings, even with just a couple of people. Stick to socializing with people in your house, no matter how much you want to get away from them.  Meeting up with a small group doesn’t mean anything if someone is positive.

However you were socially distancing back in April, you should be more cautious now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

My niece tested negative today but can’t smell or taste anything and has 100 degree fever. She spent time with people over the weekend that have tested positive. Gonna go out on a limb and say that’s a false negative.

See if you can get a PCR test.  Results take a bit longer, but they tend to be a bit more accurate.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Any updates?

Confirmed phenomena, oxygen levels are good so far.  A little bit of confusion which happens when she gets sick often.  Luckily family members are doctors or they wouldn’t have even admitted her.  Nursing home is badly handing their outbreak and many patients are just stuck there and will most likely die and never get to a hospital.   Everything looks good for her now but we hope she can stay for observation and not get pushed out back to the nursing home.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No lecture tone intended here, but everyone needs to stop all social gatherings, even with just a couple of people. Stick to socializing with people in your house, no matter how much you want to get away from them.  Meeting up with a small group doesn’t mean anything if someone is positive.

However you were socially distancing back in April, you should be more cautious now.

yeah...you're right. 

it was beautiful weather, we were outside, it's the holidays...we didn't get careless b/c we did the same thing we've been doing for the past few months (outdoor restaurant dining)...but given current numbers guess we do need to shut it down even more. fuck. this was our first 'close call'.  

appreciate the info on the quarantine days...tomorrow is my 10th day, i think we're fine. 

for others with even closer calls above...so sorry...

So, Sunday 12/27 we had a couple over for outdoor dinner, properly spaced, etc. they even came around through the fence and not through the house.

On Wednesday the lady tested positive with mild symptoms. We pretty much quarantined after that other than me going into the office which is essentially an isolation chamber.

We are 54 and 52, healthy and physically active, running 3-4 5k’s per week plus a 5-6 miler each weekend.

Yesterday my wife took on a headache and this morning woke up congested and still with the headache so we went and got tested and are both positive.

Just laying this out there for everyone’s information. After a whirlwind year end at the office I’m actually looking forward to some downtime!

About to Favor Whataburger before the taste buds get out of whack!

• Hook 'Em 2

So, Sunday 12/27 we had a couple over for outdoor dinner, properly spaced, etc. they even came around through the fence and not through the house.

On Wednesday the lady tested positive with mild symptoms. We pretty much quarantined after that other than me going into the office which is essentially an isolation chamber.

We are 54 and 52, healthy and physically active, running 3-4 5k’s per week plus a 5-6 miler each weekend.

Yesterday my wife took on a headache and this morning woke up congested and still with the headache so we went and got tested and are both positive.

Just laying this out there for everyone’s information. After a whirlwind year end at the office I’m actually looking forward to some downtime!

About to Favor Whataburger before the taste buds get out of whack!

Keep a close eye on your O2 saturation levels.

And good luck.
  • Like 1

Completely for satisfying curiosity, have any COVID positive people here been upset or angry at a relative or friend giving you COVID due to their lack of personal responsibility. I don't mean they intentionally gave you COVID but in that they basically ignored all warnings of social distancing and mask wearing, and then proceeded to most like have been the source of your COVID diagnosis or a loved one.

Wife is positive, had her test along with me after I lost my taste/smell, I'll found out in a day or so since I went through the city, pretty sure I'm positive.  She was sick at xmas, I was sick right after, both of us are fine now besides allergy like symptoms and still can't taste or smell shit.  Loss of taste/smell is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced in my life.

5 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Wife is positive, had her test along with me after I lost my taste/smell, I'll found out in a day or so since I went through the city, pretty sure I'm positive.  She was sick at xmas, I was sick right after, both of us are fine now besides allergy like symptoms and still can't taste or smell shit.  Loss of taste/smell is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced in my life.

Better get to eatin dat ass

• Hook 'Em 4

On 1/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve heard from some people that sense of taste stayed gone for months after diagnosis. Has anyone here found that to be the case?  Not sure how common that is. 

One of our closest friends' sons got it just before leaving to go do to UT for freshman year. He was back and Thanksgiving and putting super spicy hot sauce on all his food, atypical for him. He said he still couldn't taste anything.

Hadn't checked in on this thread in a long time. As you might recall, I was sick back in mid-March after being in close contact with a good friend who was COVID+ Case #1 at UT-Soouthwestern. He had a rough go and damn near died. I had a 3-week slog but never had a fever so I was unable to get a test. I didn't start feeling bad until 3/17 after being exposed at a get-together on 3/7. I did, however, have a lingering cough the week immediately after being around our friend but I chalked it up to seasonal allergies. I didn't know John was even sick, much less in the hospital until his partner posted about it on FB the evening of 3/17. I woke up 3/17 -- our first day working from home -- and felt just cruddy.

At any rate, it was nearly three weeks where I ran through just about every symptom but not all at once. Mild diarrhea one day, not sure about taste/smell as that one wasn't even ID'ed yet. I didn't hardly eat anything for three weeks so I probably did. I didn't confirm I had it until taking an antibody test through Quest at the end of April. Follow up on that, I had another antibody test in mid-December as part of some regular bloodwork and I no longer have antibodies. Of course nobody knows if you still carry some immunity even after you lose the antibodies. The crazy thing is my wife never got it and her antibody test was negative.

The wife and I have been walking in the evenings since late April. We have a regular 2-mile loop that we do that includes a pretty substantial hill at the end. While my fitness is better, I think it's still compromised by COVID -- and my case was relatively mild. I never had it checked before but I've been feeling a little sluggish this year -- perhaps even last year but not sure -- and asked doc to check testosterone levels in Nov. They're really low. I went back for a second reading in Dec to confirm to get insurance to pay for treatment and it was even lower. Wife ran across a COVID "long haul" story and lowered testosterone is something they're seeing in long haul sufferers. It's quite possible -- perhaps likely -- my levels were low before but I don't know for sure. I turned 48 in early November.

Stay safe everybody. We're almost there on the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Day 4 for us, and we’re doing pretty well, considering.

Reset: Wife and I are healthy and active 53 and 54 year olds, we were exposed right after Christmas and tested positive on 1/1 with mild but persistent symptoms.

My main complaints have been that my “thermostat” is out of whack...no fever, but always feel cold. Body aches come and go, as does this fuzzy-headed feeling similar to waking up in the morning after a night of too much tequila. Tylenol helps. Taste and smell still with me but seem to be fading.

Wife has a few more symptoms...a touch more congestion and almost full loss of taste and smell....but is generally up and about too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve heard from some people that sense of taste stayed gone for months after diagnosis. Has anyone here found that to be the case?  Not sure how common that is. 

Buddy that was in the hospital with this said it was almost a month for him. His gf who is said she never really felt bad just tired all the time said hers lasted almost 2 months for certain things

What's the earliest you typically start with symptoms?  I don't have any of the usual ones but have a couple of things going on that are strange even for me.  No fever, can taste/smell, no cough, no sore throat, nothing on the usual short list. 

It's not so much like those flu aches you get, but a few muscles of mine are just inexplicably sore.  And I've thrown up some bile this morning...not an emergency amount, but certainly enough that it hurt and has taken away my appetite.  We tied on some 'hair of the dog' for much of New Year's Day on Friday, but not enough to create some random hangover 3-days later.   

I picked up take-out yesterday so I don't think I could start that soon, but it was from inside the restaurant.  Last time left I left the house before that was to get curbside tacodeli on Thursday night and it was all contactless.  Otherwise, we haven't left the house or fraternized with neighbors out in the street in about week. 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

What's the earliest you typically start with symptoms?  I don't have any of the usual ones but have a couple of things going on that are strange even for me.  No fever, can taste/smell, no cough, no sore throat, nothing on the usual short list. 

It's not so much like those flu aches you get, but a few muscles of mine are just inexplicably sore.  And I've thrown up some bile this morning...not an emergency amount, but certainly enough that it hurt and has taken away my appetite.  We tied on some 'hair of the dog' for much of New Year's Day on Friday, but not enough to create some random hangover 3-days later.   

I picked up take-out yesterday so I don't think I could start that soon, but it was from inside the restaurant.  Last time left I left the house before that was to get curbside tacodeli on Thursday night and it was all contactless.  Otherwise, we haven't left the house or fraternized with neighbors out in the street in about week. 

Two days seems to be the low end from exposure to symptoms. 

Yeah, I've read all the range discussions, but there's lot of practical advice on this thread because we're actually probably a lot more physically alike on Surly than we'd care to admit.  I thought maybe it was the place I picked up brunch to-go because it was a little more crowded in there than I'd prefer.  I shouldn't go back there again, but I doubt I could have start showing symptoms in just 12-18 hours. 

All my symptoms from earlier have tempered down but it was a very strange batch of symptoms even for me.  I wonder if it's just regular flu maybe?  I got that shot about 2 months ago but I haven't hurled like this in a couple of years.  And my muscle pain is strange, it's both quads, just the upper right chest muscles near the shoulder, and I was almost falling asleep earlier.  Now I'm going to play outside with the kids and feel okay.  Have no appetite though.  Weird.  I should probably get another test just in case.  Now that they finally have that part done well.

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I've read all the range discussions, but there's lot of practical advice on this thread because we're actually probably a lot more physically alike on Surly than we'd care to admit.  I thought maybe it was the place I picked up brunch to-go because it was a little more crowded in there than I'd prefer.  I shouldn't go back there again, but I doubt I could have start showing symptoms in just 12-18 hours. 

All my symptoms from earlier have tempered down but it was a very strange batch of symptoms even for me.  I wonder if it's just regular flu maybe?  I got that shot about 2 months ago but I haven't hurled like this in a couple of years.  And my muscle pain is strange, it's both quads, just the upper right chest muscles near the shoulder, and I was almost falling asleep earlier.  Now I'm going to play outside with the kids and feel okay.  Have no appetite though.  Weird.  I should probably get another test just in case.  Now that they finally have that part done well.

No telling.  For a while, strep was going around, too, and causing some confusion.  I picked that up from my older son in November.  I did a teledoc visit to see if I should come in for the covid test or assume I had strep.  The doc, who was about my age (mid/late 40s), said he had covid about a month before, and at our age, you will have a pretty good idea that you have it as opposed to cold/flu.  But that's not universal.

On the aches and pain side of things, when my older son tested positive in early December, we all isolated at home and isolated from him.  By the next day, my wife was having muscle pain and fatigue, but no other symptoms.  She got a rapid and PCR test, both of which were negative.  I have no idea what caused her symptoms, but it was does not appear to have been covid.  My other kid and I had no symptoms and, given how careful we were for the next 10 days, I presume none of the rest of us got it.

Close friends of ours, who are part of the very small circle we’ve allowed ourselves to socialize with, had this timeline:

Day 1 > Saturday, Dec 26:  Sit at a table with a couple at a dinner in their house 

Day 3 > Monday, Dec 28:  That couple calls our friends to say they’ve tested positive and could have been exposed

Day 4 > Tuesday Dec 29:  Friends have scratchy throats, light cough, low temps and diarrhea

Day 6 > Thursday Dec 31:  Rapid test positive, still feeling rundown.  Smell/taste still ok   

So for those friends of ours, it was 72 hours from exposure to symptoms   Tested positive at Day 5   

Interesting, thanks for posting.  I usually run pretty cool anyway, mid-97's for me is baseline, 98.0 on the high end.  I'm at 97 on the nose right now, and even had some high 96's earlier...which may explain why I feel a bit chilly.  Then again, we keep the downstairs heater on low to conserve energy like JImmy Carter wanted So it's 65 down here. 

I'm completely out of bile to vomit up, and food is finally starting to sound good again, have only had a handful of crackers in the past 30 hours.  So a couple of possible, but not typical symptoms there on low temp and bile vomiting.  But was getting cold easier than usual, fatigue, and the muscles on my right side are a bit sore but again not that achy flu thing I get when I'm sick.  More like how you feel after working out for the first time in awhile.  

But now that I'm re-reading some of the non-traditional symptoms some of y'all got/have...I should go get a test tomorrow.  

My mom is out of the hospital and in the nursing home’s new covid wing.  Everything looks good so far as oxygen levels and fever, just a cough and tired.  Just she does not get that bad second week bounce back where it gets worse.  Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

i escaped my close call, but i tell ya, this thing is really weird...

of my goddaughter and her boyfriend - he is still laid up, very sick, and she remains completely asymptomatic despite having asthma and a history of pleurisy.

my husband's sister, BIL, and two nieces in Ohio got it in November - all very obese, sis and BIL are diabetic (he's actually Type I)...and they barely even noticed. sister has a mild tickling cough she can't kick, but nobody else had any symptoms at all. 

also, my husband's ex-wife, two adult daughters (both very heavy smokers and high blood pressure), and granddaughter in PA have it now - all extremely mild to asymptomatic...except the 11 year old granddaughter who ended up in the ER with a 103 fever, she was by far the sickest of them all. 

this disease is just fucking with us now. 

Edited by mchookem

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Interesting, thanks for posting.  I usually run pretty cool anyway, mid-97's for me is baseline, 98.0 on the high end.  I'm at 97 on the nose right now, and even had some high 96's earlier...which may explain why I feel a bit chilly.  Then again, we keep the downstairs heater on low to conserve energy like JImmy Carter wanted So it's 65 down here. 

I'm completely out of bile to vomit up, and food is finally starting to sound good again, have only had a handful of crackers in the past 30 hours.  So a couple of possible, but not typical symptoms there on low temp and bile vomiting.  But was getting cold easier than usual, fatigue, and the muscles on my right side are a bit sore but again not that achy flu thing I get when I'm sick.  More like how you feel after working out for the first time in awhile.  

But now that I'm re-reading some of the non-traditional symptoms some of y'all got/have...I should go get a test tomorrow.  

Nothing you have said sounds like COVID. Jfc.

She’s scheduled for Saturday morning at Texas children’s. Earliest pcr they could find per my sister. 

Update. Niece’s PCR test came back positive. Only symptoms persisting are loss of taste/smell. She doesn’t have fever anymore and feels fine. My sister/niece’s mom is beginning to show symptoms. Not surprising since they shared a long car ride with niece being symptomatic after the dad left her in San Antonio after he/his hoe tested positive. Im glad I didn’t go home for Christmas.

My uncle had another quadruple bypass this morning and is so far covid-free. Doctor’s more concerned about covid than the bypass so I guess that’s something.

Completely for satisfying curiosity, have any COVID positive people here been upset or angry at a relative or friend giving you COVID due to their lack of personal responsibility. I don't mean they intentionally gave you COVID but in that they basically ignored all warnings of social distancing and mask wearing, and then proceeded to most like have been the source of your COVID diagnosis or a loved one.

If they knew they were sick, didn’t tell anyone, came around, and didn’t take precautions, then yeah I’d be a little aggravated.

But if they got it and you were around them, took precautions with them and wound up with it, maybe the guidelines aren’t very good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My friend who I spent NYE with tested positive today.  Felt like she had a bad head cold yesterday.  Was going in for a physical, and because she wasn't feeling well, they did a rapid test.  It is positive.

So, I last saw her Thursday night.  I have no symptoms at all.

So, getting a PCR test on Wednesday afternoon (tomorrow) and expect results to come back Thursday afternoon (the last one I took right before Christmas, turnaround time was just over 24 hours).  I will also do a rapid test Friday morning.  

Why all the testing?  Welp, Sunday is my birthday.  Already going to cancel our Friday night outdoor dinner plans, but would like to be able to make the outdoor brunch scheduled on Sunday provided I am negative.  Sigh.  FYI, this is the same friend that potentially exposed me in late December.  She is being careful, it is just this shit is everywhere at this point.  They really need to get on top of the vaccine rollout.  It really isn't going that well.

• Fuck You 1

On 1/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, MirrOlure said:

Day 4 for us, and we’re doing pretty well, considering.

Reset: Wife and I are healthy and active 53 and 54 year olds, we were exposed right after Christmas and tested positive on 1/1 with mild but persistent symptoms.

My main complaints have been that my “thermostat” is out of whack...no fever, but always feel cold. Body aches come and go, as does this fuzzy-headed feeling similar to waking up in the morning after a night of too much tequila. Tylenol helps. Taste and smell still with me but seem to be fading.

Wife has a few more symptoms...a touch more congestion and almost full loss of taste and smell....but is generally up and about too.

I know I've said it before on one of these threads but failed to mention it on my "update" above. I felt like a very dull hangover for the entirety of my 2.5 weeks when I felt the worst.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My friend who I spent NYE with tested positive today.  Felt like she had a bad head cold yesterday.  Was going in for a physical, and because she wasn't feeling well, they did a rapid test.  It is positive.

So, I last saw her Thursday night.  I have no symptoms at all.

So, getting a PCR test on Wednesday afternoon (tomorrow) and expect results to come back Thursday afternoon (the last one I took right before Christmas, turnaround time was just over 24 hours).  I will also do a rapid test Friday morning.  

Why all the testing?  Welp, Sunday is my birthday.  Already going to cancel our Friday night outdoor dinner plans, but would like to be able to make the outdoor brunch scheduled on Sunday provided I am negative.  Sigh.  FYI, this is the same friend that potentially exposed me in late December.  She is being careful, it is just this shit is everywhere at this point.  They really need to get on top of the vaccine rollout.  It really isn't going that well.

Seems like they've changed the guidelines a few times but aren't you pushing the timeline a little there? Sunday will be 10 days from being around somebody you know tested positive.

• Like 1

My ex-wife and her husband tested positive on 12-22. One of my daughters goes back and forth between our houses, so she got tested the next day and her results were negative. The ex left town to isolate and my kid isolated in her room until we got the results bank. Fast forward to 1-1, she's got a cough, sore throat, and feels like shit, no fever. She isolates in her room, only comes out while masked, gets tested yesterday. Well, she tested positive. My wife and the other kid got tested today, as they spent more time together than I do. I'm going to wait a few days and see how I feel before getting tested. 

Now I'm working at home until further notice. Wife's been WAH for months now, no change for her. Kids can't go to work at all for a while. Fuck.

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I know I've said it before on one of these threads but failed to mention it on my "update" above. I felt like a very dull hangover for the entirety of my 2.5 weeks when I felt the worst.

Seems like they've changed the guidelines a few times but aren't you pushing the timeline a little there? Sunday will be 10 days from being around somebody you know tested positive.

Updated CDC guidance says 7 days from potential exposure if you get a negative test, or 10 days and no test as long as you do not have symptoms.  I am getting tested twice, tomorrow and Friday.    

My friend who has it today was feeling absolutely fine on Thursday afternoon and evening (she was hungover as hell on Friday), so she is not sure when she actually picked it up.  I know she went to Brunch on Saturday with someone who had tested positive and had just finished their quarantine, so it would not shock me if that is where she picked it up.  If so, that would be well after I saw her.  

FYI, I was drunk as shit on NY, and no hangover.  Granted, I puked my guts out at about 6 AM, but that is pretty much par for the course for me if I drink excessively.  It sucks, but I am rarely hungover because of it.  

I am playing this all by ear at the moment.  I hope I come back negative.  Afterall, I still think that I had this shit back towards the end of January 2020 before we had a test or even really knew what COVID was.  

• Fuck You 1

My friends tested positive 5 days after exposure.  My wife, who saw them 12 hours after they were exposed, tested negative on both rapid + PCR 5 days after her potential exposure (2 days before they started symptoms).  They were told by the testing site that they’re cleared to return 7 days after symptoms start / 10 days after exposure if they have a mild case.  

Edited by Homercles

13 minutes ago, Homercles said:

My friends tested positive 5 days after exposure.  My wife, who saw them 12 hours after they were exposed, tested negative on both rapid + PCR 5 days after her potential exposure (2 days before they started symptoms).  They were told by the testing site that they’re cleared to return 7 days after symptoms start / 10 days after exposure if they have a mild case.  

7 days after symptoms (or exposure to positive case but no symptoms) plus a subsequent negative test or 10 days after symptoms (or exposure to a positive case but no symptoms) with 24 hours without fever (no fever reducing med assistance) and other symptoms have improved is the current CDC guidance IIRC.

The change as of mid December is in the no-test group---time reduced from 14 to 10 days.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I am positive if that helps the tally.