College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Seeing multiple times that the B1G Ten may pull the plug, as they have again delayed releasing the revised schedule and have to figure out how to address the Rutgers Covid explosion (basically the Marlins of college football)

Seriously though, why even release a schedule before August 20, if there are no fans (or 10-20%), TV can figure out coverage week-to-week?

Rumors were wrong - B1G released the schedule this morning

(UM & tOSU fans will go nuts - as their "special" game isn't the last weekend of the season)

Pretty much every US and world sport that has attempted to come back has gone through this pattern:
Skepticism before re-start; Early COVID flare-ups intensify skepticism; Protocols followed or tightened; Play resumes; Flare-ups decrease
NHL, NBA and especially MLB can't take any victory laps just yet. But lots of international leagues and smaller US ventures have successfully completed their seasons. Quite a few traveling around, not in bubbles.
Football, especially college, has by far the toughest task due to roster size and physical demands. But we're still in the skepticism phase, they haven't really locked in protocols yet or even set the schedule. I'm not exactly optimistic but far from giving up.

Sports leagues in other countries are a non starter as comps for American pro sports, let alone college sports, and using them as such is disengenous as hell. You likely know that.

NBA is in a $170 million dollar bubble, baseball's been on for like a week and already has chaos.

Oh, and of course, those guys are professionals who are paid to be there abd represented by unions.

Stop comparing college football to pro sports. I've seen you do it multiple times. It's a nonsensical angle.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

College football fans everywhere: "That's surprising. Good basketball, but I didn't realize they had a football team."

You know who’s been to a BCS/NY6 game?  UConn. 

You know who has never been to a BCS/NY6 game?  The team from College Station. 

Come to think of it, a guy at SECRant has put together a nice list:

Teams that have played in BCS/NY6 Bowls more recently than Texas A&M:
UConn 
Kansas (won) 
Northern Illinois 
Western Michigan 
Wake Forest 
Hawaii 
Oregon State 

In State rivals Texas and TCU have not only played in, but have won multiple NY6/BCS bowls since Texas A&M last played in one 

Neighboring Houston also has won a NY6 bowl since A&M last played in one 

Brazos Rival Baylor has played in 2 BCS/NY6 bowls since A&M last played in one 

(And no, the Cotton Bowl in 2013 nor the Peach Bowl in 2013 were considered BCS/NY6 bowls at the time A&M played in those two)
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

UConn 
Kansas (won) 
Northern Illinois 
Western Michigan 
Wake Forest 
Hawaii 
Oregon State 

In State rivals Texas and TCU have not only played in, but have won multiple NY6/BCS bowls since Texas A&M last played in one 

(And no, the Cotton Bowl in 2013 nor the Peach Bowl in 2013 were considered BCS/NY6 bowls at the time A&M played in those two) https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/teams-that-have-played-in-bcs-ny6-bowls-more-recently-than-texas-aandm/84751159/
I'll say it. Stretching a mention of UCONN into this is pretty aggy. That's some living in your head rent free stuff.

The UConn situation is different that other programs, because the State of Connecticut has a 14 day quarantine period for people (aka teams) coming from outside of Conn/NY/NJ - and therefore if UConn goes to an away school - 2 weeks quarantine after they come back, and if a school comes to play UConn they would have to quarantine for 2 weeks before the game.

But certainly this is just the first D-1 domino to fall.

Can't imagine there's much money in United Soccer League (traveling and allowing fans in some venues), Major League Lacrosse, Women's Pro Soccer League, World Team Tennis or the lower division European soccer leagues.

I think it's instructive to look at the lower budget operations because they can't lock down as strictly and they can't test as frequently as the big time leagues. There have been plenty of problems but no one has abandoned ship at this point.

I guarantee none of those were testing players at anywhere near the rate that a high profile operation like college football will have to, if they were even testing at all. If course they won't shut shut down for outbreaks when they aren't detected. Come on.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sports leagues in other countries are a non starter as comps for American pro sports, let alone college sports, and using them as such is disengenous as hell. You likely know that.

NBA is in a $170 million dollar bubble, baseball's been on for like a week and already has chaos.

Oh, and of course, those guys are professionals who are paid to be there abd represented by unions.

Stop comparing college football to pro sports. I've seen you do it multiple times. It's a nonsensical angle.

I'm not sure why people get really irked by posts suggesting mild optimism. I know every hopeful point I make in favor of sports being successful has legit rebuttals. College football is trying to move forward in 2020 America. Unions and adequate health care or testing aren't happening. There's no financial support to wait for vaccines. There will continue to be outbreaks.

But there is a much higher than zero chance that in January, at least four major conference will produce a champion who has played 9-10 games and CFP will be able to hold a quasi-bubbled playoff that 30 million people will watch on TV.

Sorry if that line of thinking ticks people off. I am not dismissing COVID and truly feel awful for those who have suffered personal losses and sickness. My posts on Texan/CR are more in that vain. But of the football board, I do actually think it's possible we have a season.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, nnm said:

UConn 
Kansas (won) 
Northern Illinois 
Western Michigan 
Wake Forest 
Hawaii 
Oregon State 

(And no, the Cotton Bowl in 2013 nor the Peach Bowl in 2013 were considered BCS/NY6 bowls at the time A&M played in those two)

You want to know the best part about being a Longhorn fan, but not an alum?

Here are my feelings about Tx A&M - they can do whatever they like, all while finishing in the middle of the SEC (at best) because

Who Cares Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers - Find ...

SIAP

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2020/08/04/colorado-state-university-athletes-say-administration-covering-up-coronavirus-health-threats/5572625002/

CSU football players and university athletic department staff say coaches have told players not to report COVID-19 symptoms, threatened players with reduced playing time if they quarantine and claim CSU is altering contact tracing reports to keep players practicing.

54 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I do actually think it's possible we have a season.

well, then, you're worse than Hitler

It's pretty stupid the Big Ten didn't just take Ohio State-Michigan, put it on the last weekend they were planning to play, and then work backward from there. I can't really see the upshot of that particular experiment, though, so I guess we'll have to chalk it up to incompetence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not sure why people get really irked by posts suggesting mild optimism. I know every hopeful point I make in favor of sports being successful has legit rebuttals. College football is trying to move forward in 2020 America. Unions and adequate health care or testing aren't happening. There's no financial support to wait for vaccines. There will continue to be outbreaks.
But there is a much higher than zero chance that in January, at least four major conference will produce a champion who has played 9-10 games and CFP will be able to hold a quasi-bubbled playoff that 30 million people will watch on TV.
Sorry if that line of thinking ticks people off. I am not dismissing COVID and truly feel awful for those who have suffered personal losses and sickness. My posts on Texan/CR are more in that vain. But of the football board, I do actually think it's possible we have a season.
I'm not "irked" or "ticked off," you just keep comparing apples and oranges in order to seev what you want to see.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, nnm said:

UConn 
Kansas (won) 
Northern Illinois 
Western Michigan 
Wake Forest 
Hawaii 
Oregon State 

(And no, the Cotton Bowl in 2013 nor the Peach Bowl in 2013 were considered BCS/NY6 bowls at the time A&M played in those two) https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/teams-that-have-played-in-bcs-ny6-bowls-more-recently-than-texas-aandm/84751159/

Read more  

I'll say it. Stretching a mention of UCONN into this is pretty aggy. That's some living in your head rent free stuff.

Meh, I just think it's funny that when someone makes a comment that so-and-so program is irrelevant, I know that chances are they're more relevant than aggy.  

1 hour ago, JohnLocke said:

College football fans everywhere: "That's surprising. Good basketball, but I didn't realize they had a football team."

UCONN could have been an FCS power, but instead chose FBS bottom-feeding.  Same goes for UMass.  Them along with URI and UNH, Stony Brook, and Albany in the SUNYs, and Maine would have made a pretty good  scholarship-level  northeastern FCS circuit.  My guess is this is a thinly-veiled route to eliminating the program, now that UCONN has joined the no-football new Big East.  They'll always have their fluke BCS bowl appearance to remember.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

The UConn situation is different that other programs, because the State of Connecticut has a 14 day quarantine period for people (aka teams) coming from outside of Conn/NY/NJ - and therefore if UConn goes to an away school - 2 weeks quarantine after they come back, and if a school comes to play UConn they would have to quarantine for 2 weeks before the game.

But certainly this is just the first D-1 domino to fall.

IL has that too with NW/IL here.  Imo it’s only a matter of how many million each program can squeeze out before they drop the charade and go to exhibition games only.  No way they can get to the point of playing out an actual championship game unless things are delayed into spring - not opposed to that.  

• Whistleblower protections for athletics personnel and college athletes reporting a suspected violation
  • Ban the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  •  Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing
  • Preserve athletic eligibility, scholarship, and roster spot for any player who opts out of athletic participation or is unable to play more than 40% of their scheduled season due to COVID-19 or season postponement/cancellation
  • Complimentary access to the Big Ten Network for athletes’ family members

16 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

• Whistleblower protections for athletics personnel and college athletes reporting a suspected violation
  • Ban the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  •  Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing
  • Preserve athletic eligibility, scholarship, and roster spot for any player who opts out of athletic participation or is unable to play more than 40% of their scheduled season due to COVID-19 or season postponement/cancellation
  • Complimentary access to the Big Ten Network for athletes’ family members

if sitting out a season to get drafted becomes a thing, i feel like this precedence is going to carrry forward regardless of covid, it used to be unheard of to skip a bowl game for the draft, now its a thing,  now whats to stop a top prospect from skipping junior or senior year to hire a private coach and just train up, and not risking injury?

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

if sitting out a season to get drafted becomes a thing, i feel like this precedence is going to carrry forward regardless of covid, it used to be unheard of to skip a bowl game for the draft, now its a thing,  now whats to stop a top prospect from skipping junior or senior year to hire a private coach and just train up, and not risking injury?

If I’m a bag man booster and have paid you under the table, you need to play until you can leave for the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

If I’m a bag man booster and have paid you under the table, you need to play until you can leave for the draft. 

What's your leverage? That I didn't claim your payment on my taxes?

On the other hand, if you go public with that you just got banned from attending your school's games and got your school's football team in trouble.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I would suppose it hat if your in the game of giving money for illicit activities, one would be able to/in the position to take necessary steps to cover the recipient promises. Particularly to friends or family.

A little bird told me once a booster to a school in TX gave mommy a job then would threaten to frame her for embezzlement of the payments he made to her sons, sons friends and ‘uncle’. He was also a county judge. 

25 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I would say access to college females is a nice incentive.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

On the other hand, if you go public with that you just got banned from attending your school's games and got your school's football team in trouble.

It's hard to train for the NFL with a broken kneecap

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It's hard to train for the NFL with a broken kneecap

yeah, I was going to say, have we already forgotten Norby Walters?

but I don't think the under-the-table-payment boosters are really that type of threat, generally speaking-- their leverage is almost always (or at least used to be, before the NCAA stopped caring) over the program itself a la Sherwood Blount's "payroll to meet"

Edited by SwanderedTalent

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

well, then, you're worse than Hitler

It's pretty stupid the Big Ten didn't just take Ohio State-Michigan, put it on the last weekend they were planning to play, and then work backward from there. I can't really see the upshot of that particular experiment, though, so I guess we'll have to chalk it up to incompetence. 

It gives them flexibility to reschedule it at a later date if necessary.  I don't care when Ohio State kicks their asses as long as their asses get kicked.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

I would suppose it hat if your in the game of giving money for illicit activities, one would be able to/in the position to take necessary steps to cover the recipient promises. Particularly to friends or family.

A little bird told me once a booster to a school in TX gave mommy a job then would threaten to frame her for embezzlement of the payments he made to her sons, sons friends and ‘uncle’. He was also a county judge. 

It rarely works unless whoever you paid sucks and in that case why would you want to leverage anything to twist that persons arm.  Once they are at the point of being drafted in the top 2 rounds you can kiss any leverage you have good bye, they’re already too well connected.  

The Pac-12 is planning a mammoth loan program that would provide an escape hatch for cash-strapped athletic departments in the event the football season is canceled because of coronavirus, according to internal documents and conference sources.

Football accounts for the majority of each department’s revenue, generating in excess of $50 million dollars in ticket sales and media rights alone.

The loan program would be large enough to cover that loss for each school, if needed:

According to a series of emails obtained by the Hotline through public records requests, the loan would provide a maximum of $83 million for each university at a rate of 3.75 percent over 10 years.

Each athletic department could decide whether it wanted to participate in the program.

If all 12 opted for the maximum amount, the total would be $996 million.

“The conference is trying to be nimble and give schools some options,’’ a source said.

However, multiple sources indicated that not every school would make use of the loan, and some would seek substantially less than the maximum allowable. If the Pac-12 plays a full football season, the plan could be pushed aside entirely.

The idea is popular with university presidents because the loan would allow schools to bridge the coronavirus crisis without having the implement massive budget cuts that could include widespread layoffs and possibly the elimination of Olympic sports teams, which do not generate a profit.

45 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Where did he say he’s sitting out a season in order to get drafted or improve his draft stock? I’ve only seen it reported that he’s opting out, which makes sense because it’s going to be a mess of a season with added safety concerns just like plenty of NFL players are doing.
Guys are not going to sit out a year to improve their draft stock. Scouts want to see as much film as possible, and I doubt Parsons would be opting out if not for covid. 

Nothing, except the inevitable hit to their
draft stock from skipping an entire season as opposed to a meaningless exhibition game. Also money for many. No scholarship or COL stipend. You'd have to get a job unless your parents can bankroll you or an agent is willing to do it for an entire year. SEC pays well, but you gotta play.

The calculus is just completely different this year

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Where did he say he’s sitting out a season in order to get drafted or improve his draft stock? I’ve only seen it reported that he’s opting out, which makes sense because it’s going to be a mess of a season with added safety concerns just like plenty of NFL players are doing.
Guys are not going to sit out a year to improve their draft stock. Scouts want to see as much film as possible, and I doubt Parsons would be opting out if not for covid. 

Why would anyone assume someone opting out this season is for anything other than C19?  What a weird thing to assume.  

• Hook 'Em 1

UConn Cancels 2020 Football Season Because of COVID-19 Safety Challenges

The University of Connecticut athletic department announced Wednesday it won't take part in the 2020 college football season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

"After receiving guidance from state and public health officials and consulting with football student-athletes, we've decided that we will not compete on the gridiron this season," athletic director David Benedict said. "The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk."

The Huskies were scheduled to compete as an independent in 2020 after leaving the American Athletic Conference and joining the Big East in all sports except football. UConn is the first FBS program to cancel its football season amid the pandemic.

"We engaged and listened to the concerns of our football student-athletes and feel this is the best decision for their health, safety and well-being," head coach Randy Edsall said. "Our team is united in this approach and we will use this time to further player development within the program and gear ourselves to the 2021 season."

The athletic department confirmed Huskies football players registered zero positive tests for COVID-19 since returning to campus in early July.

UConn would have likely struggled to fill out its schedule without a conference designation as the focus in major college football has mostly shifted toward conference-only opponents. Games against Illinois, Indiana, Maine and Mississippi had already removed from the Huskies' slate as a result.

The players released a joint statement as part of the school's announcement:

"As a team we are in full support of the decision to not compete in 2020. We have many health concerns and not enough is known about the potential long term effects of contracting COVID-19. Additionally, we have not had the optimal time to train mentally and physically to be properly prepared to compete this season. We love this game and love competing. We came to campus in the beginning of July knowing there would be challenges presented by the pandemic but it is apparent to us now that these challenges are impossible to overcome."

The Huskies struggled since they joined the AAC in 2013. They failed to register a winning record over the past seven seasons, including a 6-30 mark since Edsall returned in 2017 for a second stint leading the program.

UConn's announcement noted players will remain full-time students at the school and retain access to team facilities to "remain on track academically and developmentally."

The athletic department said it will "continue to work" with the Big East to determine the fate of its other fall sports.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It rarely works unless whoever you paid sucks and in that case why would you want to leverage anything to twist that persons arm.  Once they are at the point of being drafted in the top 2 rounds you can kiss any leverage you have good bye, they’re already too well connected.  

I agree to the extent that direct “arm twisting” would be delicate especially now with the transfer portal. I feel more the MO of bag boosters today is creating a debt with the family that you could pressure who would in turn pressure the player.
if a guy is going to be a top 2 rd draft choice, then the consensus would most likely be “Thanks buddy good luck in the league” 

However, if you’re going to nix an entire year of eligibility, hurt the teams roster and then use my money to do it, depending on the amount, I could see some issues arising. 

Edited by Doc Reeves