Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
purplepride95

Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How did "their" attorney fuck this up?

For one thing, the situation pretty much demands that all three have different attorneys.

My understanding is that he is the one who released the video in the first place. 

They decided that Arbery was a criminal, so they hunted him down, assaulted him (hit him with a vehicle), cornered him, and murdered him when he tried to stay alive.  Ir's a fucking lynching, in every sense.
I oppose the death penalty.  I still do.  But every time I have stated my case, I have conceded that there are always cases that make it hard to maintain that opposition, and murderers who, when they are executed, will draw only a smile from me.  This is one of those cases.  I oppose the death penalty administered by the state.  I believe these men should be imprisoned for life without possibility of parole.
But if they are sentenced the death, I confess that I will not be displeased when the last bit of life ebbs from their worthless corpses.

Throw em in gen pop. In Georgia, they won’t last a week.

1 hour ago, Xian said:

My understanding is that he is the one who released the video in the first place. 

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that.  I don't believe he was hired by anyone.  Supposedly a friend of Roddie.  When Roddie appeared on CNN, he had a different one.

GBI still found shirt fibers on the truck after over a month since the incident?  How much evidence was potentially lost due to the local law enforcement turning a blind eye?  

Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in hell. 

but my stance that the state is too stupid and corrupt to be allowed to kill people means they need to rot in jail until they die, and if that happens from the hand of fellow inmates I’ll shed no tears. 

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, also, the Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act was set to sail through Congress this year (making lynching a federal crime).  Easily passed the house with broad bi-partisan support.  Was expected to do the same in the Senate.....but one senator froze the whole thing.  Any guesses as to who?

Imagine one of the shittiest states in the union, and a man with a dead possum on his head.  A man whose neighbor knew what was up....

s-RAND-PAUL-large640.jpg

As a person who is inclined to not trust Rand as far as I can throw him I can't really quibble with his reasoning here.  

Those of you whom are more well versed in these matters is there anything I'm missing?

Without commenting on the particular law in question or the policies underlying it.

It's a fairly classic example of pandering by federal legislators by creating a new federal crime that mostly duplicates state crimes. To wit. a number of states have lynching and hate crime laws, all states have murder laws.  It's not as though lynching will go unpunished (assuming it's prosecuted) in Georgia or Alabama.

Now, there may be specific justifications for this law that are completely valid.

But the feds have done this over and over and over again, and it is, generally speaking, a bad idea.  It is mostly done in a moral panic, ala our drug laws.

I haven't read the specific law in question.  I would be quite content if federal criminal jurisdiction that completely overlaps state jursidiction was exercised only after a specific finding that the state response or prosecution has been inadequate, which I believe tends to be a feature, if not an express one, of civil rights violation prosecutions.  It should be formalized, in my opinion.

Edited by TwiceHorn

A big reason I oppose the death penalty is because it is given so disproportionately to blacks people. When these guys are spared it’ll just be another example.

Edited by 'stache

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A big reason I oppose the death penalty is because it is given so disproportionately to blacks people. When these guys are spared it’ll just be another example.

Because they aren't charged with a capital offense, they aren't really being "spared."  To the extent it is being "spared," it has already happened.  There's no "when" about it, these shitballs aren't eligible for the death penalty.

Edited by TwiceHorn