COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Got a rapid Covid test today.  Wasn't feeling great the last couple days. Had some of the symptoms but didn't lose taste.  More like a common cold. 

However, we are headed down to Bolivar tomorrow so I didn't want to take any chances because we're gonna be around grandparent and young kids. Everyone who is eligible to be vaxxed is but the kids aren't.  

Came back negative.  They gave me a steroid shot for my symptoms.  Feel a ton better now.  Imo life is about reducing unforced errors.

TL;dr guy went to the doctor for a cold.  

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Got a rapid Covid test today.  Wasn't feeling great the last couple days. Had some of the symptoms but didn't lose taste.  More like a common cold. 

However, we are headed down to Bolivar tomorrow so I didn't want to take any chances because we're gonna be around grandparent and young kids. Everyone who is eligible to be vaxxed is but the kids aren't.  

Came back negative.  They gave me a steroid shot for my symptoms.  Feel a ton better now.  Imo life is about reducing unforced errors.

TL;dr guy went to the doctor for a cold.  

Could be RSV too, if it makes you feel better.

Not seeing huge spike in cases in Travis County but admits and hospitalizations are starting to run a little hot.

Since 7/8 Travis County has had 157 cases, there are currently 115 hospitalized and there were 27 admits today.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/12 vs 7/8 3 8 17 41 32 29 20 4 2 1 157
% of Daily Change 1.91% 5.10% 10.83% 26.11% 20.38% 18.47% 12.74% 2.55% 1.27% 0.64%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.57% 26.00% 20.65% 14.86% 11.21% 6.55% 3.17% 2.06%  

9 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Not seeing huge spike in cases in Travis County but admits and hospitalizations are starting to run a little hot.

Since 7/8 Travis County has had 157 cases, there are currently 115 hospitalized and there were 27 admits today.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 7/12 vs 7/8 3 8 17 41 32 29 20 4 2 1 157
% of Daily Change 1.91% 5.10% 10.83% 26.11% 20.38% 18.47% 12.74% 2.55% 1.27% 0.64%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.57% 26.00% 20.65% 14.86% 11.21% 6.55% 3.17% 2.06%  

I guess that’s still the outlying areas (with lower vaccination rates) sending their sick into Austin, so we get hospitalizations without cases.

13 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I guess that’s still the outlying areas (with lower vaccination rates) sending their sick into Austin, so we get hospitalizations without cases.

I know of 2 people from Hays County that were admitted to Seton Main in Austin.  Elderly gentlemen, who was vaccinated, passed away this last Friday.  A woman, 60s or 70s, is in ICU.  From what I understand, she was not vaccinated.

I had a nice 100.5 degree fever this morning and felt like I got hit by a truck.  Pondering if I should go get tested, I had Moderna and had pretty much the same symptoms after the 2nd shot.

Dr. Walkes reported Tuesday that 333 people have caught the virus in Travis County after being fully vaccinated. Only 14 of those people had been hospitalized. Three people who had been fully vaccinated died of COVID-19, she said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/travis-county-sees-spike-in-covid-19-cases-hospitalizations-after-holiday-weekend/

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, drt said:

I had a nice 100.5 degree fever this morning and felt like I got hit by a truck.  Pondering if I should go get tested, I had Moderna and had pretty much the same symptoms after the 2nd shot.

Get tested. Won’t hurt. My symptoms made me feel like I was withdrawing from my anxiety meds. 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

This is why I've started wearing a facemask again in big grocery stores. Vaccine doesn't make you immune - just able to fight it off effectively. And there's still a pretty considerable mass of people left to incubate COVID and let it mutate

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Deej said:

~680k people fully vaccinated in Travis county.  So 0.048% of fully vaccinated individuals have had a Cov2 positive test, 0.0021% were hospitalized, and 0.00044% died. 

Compare to Travis country over course of pandemic to date @ 85k cases and 887 deaths. Using full pop @ 1.2MM, that's 7% of the county +, 0.074% died if my math is right.

Have you tried having your kid west a mask while at daycare?

Is that an attempt at humor because I said my oldest daughter wore a mask at piano lessons? Which turned out to be a good idea because two weeks in her teacher tested positive for Covid after she had lessons earlier in the week. Her teacher who also happened to be fully vaccinated and caught it from her granddaughter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cases highest since May 22nd

A combination of summer travel in full swing and the masses are unmasking. 

I hope an overwhelming majority of the cases are either (1) people who haven't been vaccinated (either the dipshits who are eligible but refuse or kids under 12 who aren't eligible), or (2) asymptomatic people who have been vaccinated.  In other words, it would be somewhat comforting to know that by and large vaccinated people aren't getting sick, at least not the point of requiring hospitalization.  But I don't see anywhere where that data is being broken down.

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hotez said 30% of kids who get Rona will be long-haulers. Not sure I believe that (or know how he is coming up with those numbers)…. but damn

That is clickbait. There is zero basis in fact for that statement. This is the worst of CV19 for me. The "fame seekers" that put out incendiary claims to get on TV/in the news.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

202 cases in Travis County yesterday. There is always a true up on Tuesdays from the weekend dump but this is still moving in wrong direction. Encouraging thing is cases skew younger which bodes well in terms of severe hospitalizations/death. There are now 124 people hospitalized.

Cases 7/13 vs 7/12 1 13 18 59 41 29 23 12 6 0 202
% of Daily Change 0.50% 6.44% 8.91% 29.21% 20.30% 14.36% 11.39% 5.94% 2.97% 0.00%  

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2021 at 8:24 AM, EE2B said:

Yup, that shit is everywhere. Between that and hand foot and mouth, daycare has been a damn good time.

Yep.  RSV is something awful right now.   We had to come to McLane Children’s in Temple last Thursday for my 9 mo old daughter to have another surgery on her esophagus.  As of that day, between PICU and regular rooms, something like 62 of 68 beds were kids in with RSV, pneumonia, bronchitis combo.   They put us in a room away from everyone and so far we haven’t gotten sick.  Thank God we’re getting out of this mofo today.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've never even heard of RSV and I have two kids (now 11 and 13).  I had to look it up.  That seems a little alarming that it's surging right now.

Hope your daughter recovers quickly and fully from her esophageal surgery.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hotez said 30% of kids who get Rona will be long-haulers. Not sure I believe that (or know how he is coming up with those numbers)…. but damn

Of course it would be you to post this nonsense.

Do you have kids? If you’re of that age and have a family you know several kids that have had Covid. And you would know that almost all of them had symptoms for maybe a day. Then nada.

Dont be such a dumbass. 

Please everyone here post if you know any kids that are long haulers. I saw an estimate that 40% have already had it. My house is at 50%. Lol.

RSV, strep, flu all much worse. Even atypical “walking pneumonia”. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

56 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've never even heard of RSV and I have two kids (now 11 and 13).  I had to look it up.  That seems a little alarming that it's surging right now.

Hope your daughter recovers quickly and fully from her esophageal surgery.

My twins got RSV at 7 months. What a miserable 2 weeks that was, including a late night trip to Texas children’s in Houston where I got the pleasure of holding them down with a bedsheet while they aspirated their lungs. Or maybe that was rhinovirus. Either way it was as nightmarish as could be for a flu-like virus. 

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

My kids 5-6-9 have had exactly 0 issues wearing their masks over the last year when and where it was required.  This is pretty simple shit. 

Clearly, your kids are not named Karen, Chad and Beth.

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This kind of fear mongering BS from "experts" like Hotez who's sole goal in life since the beginning of COVID is to get on TV as much as possible is exactly why we have an anti-vax problem.

The vax threads on Nextdoor would be more entertaining if they weren't so rage inducing. So much blatant, easily verifiably false information being spread as facts. Always followed by anecdotal evidence and pleas to 'do your research.' People don't even know what research is anymore.

Was talking to a family member earlier who is vaxxed, but is also pretty hardcore conservative. I was bitching about how much false information is spread via social media. They agreed, but followed with 'it's just hard to know what is and isn't true anymore'. Well...sometimes, but if you just use your brain you can filter out a good majority of the bullshit without even having to do any research at all.

• Like 1

The zip code is 58% Hispanic, 19% white, 12% African-American. 

16% of the households live below the poverty line. 

They have had yard signs up and down the streets, in Spanish, encouraging people to get vaxxed, but there seems to be a lot of hesitancy. 

It’s over 58% Hispanic. I guess everyone’s sarcasm meter was broken when I suggested it was a “muh freedoms” populace lagging. At this point I don’t think access to vaccines is an issue. I guess we just have to try to mock them into compliance at every chance. It’s time to up your mocking game, Surly, or at the very least redirect it for a spell.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

The zip code is 58% Hispanic, 19% white, 12% African-American. 

16% of the households live below the poverty line. 

They have had yard signs up and down the streets, in Spanish, encouraging people to get vaxxed, but there seems to be a lot of hesitancy. 

It's called "being poor and can't take off work if they get side effects".

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It's called "being poor and can't take off work if they get side effects".

Fuck around and find out how much work you miss with actual COVID.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Fuck around and find out how much work you miss with actual COVID.

agree with the sentiment but there's a pretty strong correlation between income and vaccination rates for COVID. 

• Hook 'Em 1

128 cases in Travis County today. 137 hospitalized with 29 admits. Admit ratio is still so wonky and has to be driven by folks coming in from outside of Travis County

Cases 7/14 vs 7/13 1 5 16 30 36 12 9 8 7 4 128
% of Daily Change 0.78% 3.91% 12.50% 23.44% 28.13% 9.38% 7.03% 6.25% 5.47% 3.13%  
% of Total Cases 0.63% 4.31% 10.57% 26.00% 20.66% 14.85% 11.20% 6.55% 3.17% 2.06%  
  • Hook 'Em 1

Because they've got awesome chicken, I was at the Rundberg HEB last week and I'd guess 75% of the shoppers were still wearing masks.

I guess it's because none of them are vaccinated, which would follow the trend for that zip code.