Milwaukee Bucks boycotting Game 5 in protest of the Jacob Blake shooting

shadow_operative

1) Mavs need a break. Hopefully,  KP can play!

2) I can admire Lebron’s insane talent and also not like him. Never have. The NBA wasn’t set up for him to win titles. His fans annoy the fuck out of me. Can’t wait for him to retire and center more projects around himself. The sooner that obnoxious ass quits playing the better the NBA will be. 

3) I wish more people would take a stand over things like child abuse, poverty and the sorry state of the foster child system. Not a 29 year old who already had made several dumbass decisions in his life but whatever. He made a choice and cops chose wrongly as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They also had meetings and discussed ways to move forward and things they can do to help this cause. Nothing disappeared or got fixed overnight and that’s not the point. The point was to come together and to discuss ways to help. Of course they couldn’t solve this in a day.

The players have already been paid for this season. There’s no more game checks so the only money all pertains to next season’s cap, which will likely be smoothed by the league anyway.

The cap wasn't in a great spot before all of this shit happened. The league overestimated projected revenue and it was likely going to bring the cap down regardless of covid. 

There is no way that revenue and TV ratings are not part of these discussions. Unless the players are so wishy-washy that they changed their minds on whether to play or not in under 24 hours. In which case, they wouldn't come off as very convicted about the cause at hand.

I beleive that they were better informed of what not playing would entail for the league as a whole, and decided against it. If it was just about what the league is doing to combat these issues - then they could have had those discussions without boycotting games. All of this was apparently resolved SO quickly that I find it hard to beleive that sitting out games was necessary to push the discussion.

The players and the league are largely on the same page here, and I beleive that the players realized that because of this there is not much sense in contuining to boycott games. 

Just now, ztejas said:

The cap wasn't in a great spot before all of this shit happened. The league overestimated projected revenue and it was likely going to bring the cap down regardless of covid. 

There is no way that revenue and TV ratings are not part of these discussions. Unless the players are so wishy-washy that they changed their minds on whether to play or not in under 24 hours. In which case, they wouldn't come off as very convicted about the cause at hand.

I beleive that they were better informed of what not playing would entail for the league as a whole, and decided against it. If it was just about what the league is doing to combat these issues - then they could have had those discussions without boycotting games. All of this was apparently resolved SO quickly that I find it hard to beleive that sitting out games was necessary to push the discussion.

The players and the league are largely on the same page here, and I beleive that the players realized that because of this there is not much sense in contuining to boycott games. 

No one would care about those discussions without the boycott. That’s the entire point. Those discussion don’t even get to take place if the players don’t say they are sitting. Nothing was resolved. Again that’s not the point.

I’m not saying the money wasn’t a factor because I’m sure it was but to act like it was the only factor is plainly untrue based on reports we’ve heard about those discussions.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree that the players 'cooling off', becoming better informed among the economic consequences of leaving the bubble  and realizing the story dies out in a week (hell maybe a day or 2 in this crazy news crazy news cycle) were all big factors.  But the simple act of boycotting games became a massive news story and resulted in other teams/leagues doing the same.  At the end of the day protests, really are a PR stunt so from that perspective it worked.  I was skeptical yesterday but just the fact that politicians are being forced to answer questions about it today reflects that is was productive.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one would care about those discussions without the boycott. That’s the entire point.

That isn't true at all. In fact, I might make the opposite argument. 

For example, it is difficult for me to take their politicking seriously when they back out of a boycott less than 24 hours in. 

Now if they made good on their promise to go home and refuse to continue the playoffs? I would respect the fuck out of them. That takes some stones.

And the boycott did not begin because players felt like the NBA wasn't hearing their voice. That's bullshit. It started with the Bucks, who wanted to show solidarity with Kenosha. 

You are naive if you think that backing out on a boycott overnight isn't about money. How would it not be? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I agree that the players 'cooling off', becoming better informed among the economic consequences of leaving the bubble  and realizing the story dies out in a week (hell maybe a day or 2 in this crazy news crazy news cycle) were all big factors.  But the simple act of boycotting games became a massive news story and resulted in other teams/leagues doing the same.  At the end of the day protests, really are a PR stunt so from that perspective it worked.  I was skeptical yesterday but just the fact that politicians are being forced to answer questions about it today reflects that is was productive.

Yes. You're agreeing with everything I was trying to say. 

Sure, it was maybe productive. I think it would be MORE productive politically if they stuck it out a bit longer, but maybe I'm wrong. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You are naive if you think that backing out on a boycott overnight isn't about money. How would it not be? 

It's probably about that.  It's probably also about realizing they have to keep playing to maximize their platform.  If the players boycotted this story is completely DOA days from now.  Instead, the players have the opportunity to continue the conversation throughout the playoffs (with more eyeballs the further things move on).  

Just now, ztejas said:

Sure, it was maybe productive. I think it would be MORE productive politically if they stuck it out a bit longer, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Yea I think Skipper summed it up pretty well. I agree with you that a longer boycott could be better politically but I think it could also have the opposite effect. 

At the end of the day I’m glad players felt heard and I’m glad we are still getting basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the bad outweighed the good if they just left without a season complete.  The assholes have won if you do that.  There's a lot of people out there who can't stand the movement and would love to feel they kept some team from winning a title.  Is it petty to think like that?  Yes, obviously...but it's 2020, where people tell you what you should and shouldn't care about. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

And that's fine. I respect the money he puts into community efforts. Always have, and my original post said nothing about that. My point was that he approaches almost every situation with an eye towards marketing. That point and the fact that he does a lot of good work for the community can co-exist in the same universe.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

So it's Ok to ignore the racial injustice in the US then too.   Fuck them.  It doesn't affect me...

The point is not to blow off racial injustice, but free pass for the NBA clowns on social statements is way the fuck denied.

I got BINGO on my SLORCH BINGO card!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Do we live in China?  Get the fuck outta here.  And if you are serious with this nonsense then you might as well boycott every single corporation in America.  And literally consume next to nothing, forego your prescription drugs, etc.  Really show those chinese who is boss.  We (America) have a massive China dependency problem.  The NBA is miniscule to that.  But a certain segment of our population only likes to focus on the NBA?  I wonder why that is?

This is why I never reacted to the china thing.  Every single person outraged at china was using their Chinese electronics to post to Twitter which is hosted in webservers built in China and the data travels on the internet through routers built In China.  

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They need to stick it out long enough for Porzingis to heal

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Anyone questioning LeBron's moral compass or motivations for speaking out on stuff like this at this point is an idiot.

Well there was the fence painting thing, which was about on par with the Jussie Smollet hoax. I believe his motivations on this and similar issues is sincere, but I believe he has other motivations as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

By the, can we LOL at LeBron a bit here?

Dude in Milwaukee gets shot.. silence from LeBron

Next morning.. silence from LeBron

Next afternoon the Bucks refuse to show up for the game

Shortly after the Bucks do their thing LeBron tweets ABOUT HOW FUCKING MAD HE IS

All of the other teams refuse to play

Later that evening, LeBron "leads the charge" to cancel the entire season.

Dude doesn't care about social issues. He bandwagons them when he doesn't want to get left out of a popular wave of a movement. He's such a front running chump.

Actually I think he does care because that will be the one part of his legacy where he has no equal.

Politics aside, he can be a bit dramatic on twitter, but I respect the way he speaks up. And is willing to put his money where his mouth is. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Actually I think he does care because that will be the one part of his legacy where he has no equal.

Politics aside, he can be a bit dramatic on twitter, but I respect the way he speaks up. And is willing to put his money where his mouth is. 

Oh, no doubt, the "more than an athlete" legacy is extremely important to him. But as you say, as long as he's willing to put his money and time where he mouth is, who really cares if he would like a little acknowledge along with it?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I'm a big Lebron fan on and off the court. The only thing I really questioned about him was when he said someone painted the N word on his property. But he already had it cleaned up by the time the police or reporters came. And as much security and cameras he he had, no one saw anything and no footage at all. I always called bullshit on that.

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh, no doubt, the "more than an athlete" legacy is extremely important to him. But as you say, as long as he's willing to put his money and time where he mouth is, who really cares if he would like a little acknowledge along with it?

Opening the school and committing to paying for college for all those kids is enough to never question much he does as long as he does nothing illegal.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Do you buy his fence painting slur story?

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm a big Lebron fan on and off the court. The only thing I really questioned about him was when he said someone painted the N word on his property. But he already had it cleaned up by the time the police or reporters came. And as much security and cameras he he had, no one saw anything and no footage at all. I always called bullshit on that.

Well to me that's pretty bad. There are plenty of racist acts to get worked up about without fabricating one. Makes him no better than Jussie Smollet in my eyes. 

When you really think about it Lebron's story is quite remarkable. He has been famous since he was 14 or 15 years old. He was raised by a teenage mother in a part of Akron that would make some of the worst parts of New Orleans and Baltimore think "God damn!! that's some poverty right there". And I can't say that's he's had any major missteps despite being in the public eye for over 20 years. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Contrary to popular belief, most black professional basketball players come from relative affluence compared to the average african-american household. Although less expensive than select and travelling baseball teams, AAU basketball cost a decent amount of money over the long haul, and it's a major commitment for the families who partake in it from the age of 8 or so on through high school. The expenses of AAU ball function as a filtering process that prevents a lot of severely impoverished kids from taking part unless they're supremely talented.  Most NBA players come from middle class households like Chris Paul or Michael Jordan  as opposed to coming from total impoverishment like what Lebron came from. So when a guy like Lebron, with all eyes on him, comes through the other end without any really stupid missteps other than disagreeing with people's politics it's worth noting. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour pay the bills for most of the travelling AAU teams.

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Contrary to popular belief, most black professional basketball players come from relative affluence compared to the average african-american household. Although less expensive than select and travelling baseball teams, AAU basketball cost a decent amount of money over the long haul and is a major commitment for the families who partake in it from the age of 8 or so on through high school. The expenses of AAU ball function as a filtering process that prevents a lot of severely  impoverished kids from taking part unless they're supremely talented.  Most NBA players come from middle class households like Chris Paul or Michael Jordan  as opposed to coming from total impoverishment like what Lebron came from. So when a guy like Lebron, with all eyes on him, comes through the other end without any really stupid missteps other than disagreeing with people's politics it's worth noting. 

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour pay the bills for most of the travelling AAU teams.

It doesn't start out that way. For every one Lebron who is an obvious talent at the age of 10 there are 20 guys like Malcom Brogden, Jason Tatum, and a number of other players who foot their bill for years until they're able to get picked up on a more prominent squad. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It doesn't start out that way. For every one Lebron who is an obvious talent at the age of 10 there are 20 guys like Malcom Brogden, Jason Tatum, and a number of other players who foot their bill for years until they're able to get picked up on a more prominent squad. 

I wasn’t that great of a player, and I played for a team whose bills were paid by Nike in the 90’s. We had three teams who traveled, I was on the third.  The first and second teams, pretty much everybody got a scholarship.  The third team was about 50/50.  I ended up on the wrong side of that coin flip.  Still went to 3-4 tournaments every summer for free.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I wasn’t that great of a player, and I played for a team whose bills were paid by Nike in the 90’s. We had three teams who traveled, I was on the third.  The first and second teams, pretty much everybody got a scholarship.  The third team was about 50/50.  I ended up on the wrong side of that coin flip.  Still went to 3-4 tournaments every summer for free.

kyle broflovski basketball GIF by South Park

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

And is willing to put his money where his mouth is. 

The china issue. I wish he was more educated about what's going on there with regard to the uighurs and with hk. I would love to hear him speak up about it specifically because the nba is so invested in china.

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
15 minutes ago, workswithseed said:
Screenshot-20200827-184922.png

They don't like him.

Those are the free hk and free the uighurs crowd. They don't like lebron because of what he said about morley. Morley is a free hk guy.

I'm gonna guess he knows what's going on, but doesn't care. I could be wrong though.

I care about what LeBron thinks about Hong Kong the exact same amount that I care about what Katy Perry thinks about the economic collapse in Venezuela...everyone should stay in their lane...
He should have but didn't and in the process alienated a good percentage of americans who have ties to that part of the world.

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

The china issue. I wish he was more educated about what's going on there with regard to the uighurs and with hk. I would love to hear him speak up about it specifically because the nba is so invested in china.

Don't mean this in a bad way, but LeBron isn't a Chinese citizen, so it's technically not his business. Maybe that's why he didn't speak on it. 

I wouldn't want Yao Ming speaking about the evils of capitalism/our issues while he was playing. Just my opinion on why he didn't address it.

Don't mean this in a bad way, but LeBron isn't a Chinese citizen, so it's technically not his business. Maybe that's why he didn't speak on it. 
I wouldn't want Yao Ming speaking about the evils of capitalism/our issues while he was playing. Just my opinion on why he didn't address it.
No problem you don't come across negatively.

I wish Lebron would've said I don't know enough to comment, but he said Morely was uninformed implying he was wrong. It's understandable why he did it, he was defaulting to his employer's (and his own) business interests. Which is why I wish he had someone who could explain what's going on over there.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1