Bastardizations that work

Walden Ponderer

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Kids have aged out of Mr Gatti's/Gattitown pizza b-day parties, but I'll still rock slices with a side plate of ranch dressing.  

That's just proper, that is. Hell, Domino's offers ranch as a side for pizza.

I only do it with cheese, though. For some reason, if there's toppings, it just doesn't seem to work for me. But that's the one thing I remember from Gatti's, is the ranch on a big slice of cheese pizza. Good times.

That's just proper, that is. Hell, Domino's offers ranch as a side for pizza.
I only do it with cheese, though. For some reason, if there's toppings, it just doesn't seem to work for me. But that's the one thing I remember from Gatti's, is the ranch on a big slice of cheese pizza. Good times.

ZaLat serves a sriracha ranch with their pizzas that is pretty awesome.

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I know many that give you a weird look when you get/ask for a big block of cheddar & a Big Red with your BBQ plate

That's because Big Red blows donkey dongs.

I'm intrigued by the cheddar, though. I don't think I'd have it with the actual meat, but I could see cleansing the palate between brisket bites with a slice of cheddar and some onion and jalapeño.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's because Big Red blows donkey dongs.

I'm intrigued by the cheddar, though. I don't think I'd have it with the actual meat, but I could see cleansing the palate between brisket bites with a slice of cheddar and some onion and jalapeño.

Only with BBQ - otherwise, never drink Big Red or any other sodas.  Something about the combo works.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Kids have aged out of Mr Gatti's/Gattitown pizza b-day parties, but I'll still rock slices with a side plate of ranch dressing.  

last gattiland trip we did was back in feb, the one in round rock.  it was so dirty.  the tables, floors, and chairs all had a slick of grease on them.  i never remembered it being so dirty. 

Just now, gsoda3 said:

last gattiland trip we did was back in feb, the one in round rock.  it was so dirty.  the tables, floors, and chairs all had a slick of grease on them.  i never remembered it being so dirty. 

The one in Frisco is dead.  Doubt they hang on much longer.  

36 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

get the fuck outta here with that big red negative bullshit.  big red is a gift from the good lord above.

My gf hates it so I make sure I keep some around. 

The cornbread and milk thing always looked so gross to me I never tried it but I also don't really like milk much

Did a little digging.  It's a southern thing for sure.  Least from the article I've found.  Obviously you use sweet cornbread, not the kind with cheese, onions, jalapenos, etc. 

My country ass dad still likes old school molasses on his pancakes. 

Other weird combo's - when I lived in KY I picked up and affinity for the Derby Pie.  Pecan pit with caramel, chocolate and bourbon.   

Mike and Cornbread

Milk+and+Cornbread+Star.jpg

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Did a little digging.  It's a southern thing for sure.  Least from the article I've found.  Obviously you use sweet cornbread, not the kind with cheese, onions, jalapenos, etc. 

Other weird combo's - when I lived in KY I picked up and affinity for the Derby Pie.  Pecan pit with caramel, chocolate and bourbon.   

Mike and Cornbread

Yeah, my Dad was a fiend for anything dairy, drank milk with dinner his entire life.  Mom grew up on a farm, where fresh whole milk and buttermilk were freely available and she made southern skillet cornbread pretty regularly and would buy some buttermilk from time to time as she understood the probiotic effect earlier than many.

All of which meant Dad would periodically fill up a glass with cornbread and buttermilk and chow down.

No yankees anywhere in my family.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Mike and Cornbread

Grandfather used to have this on the regular. @Knoxtnhorn

10 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Always heard growing up that people liked dipping french fries in milkshakes. Particularly with Wendy’s for some reason. Is this good?

Saw my kid sticking his McDonald’s fries in his milk and eat them the other day which reminded me of this.

what rock do you live under?

• Haha 2

I like pancake syrup on my bacon so much, I'll have the waiter bring me pancake syrup even when I don't order pancakes. Not really much of a weird combo though. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that likes it.

I'll buy radishes occasionally, I make a compound butter with Scotch barrel smoked sea salt and spread it on them.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I like pancake syrup on my bacon so much, I'll have the waiter bring me pancake syrup even when I don't order pancakes. Not really much of a weird combo though. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that likes it.

I'll buy radishes occasionally, I make a compound butter with Scotch barrel smoked sea salt and spread it on them.

CHIEF

I put syrup on my bacon and eggs.  No pancake, waffle or french toast required.  

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5fe0f543c5b607e6348d3055/amp

Adding to the Oreo talk

“BEIJING (AP) — McDonald’s is selling a sandwich made of Spam topped with crushed Oreo cookies Monday in China in an attention-grabbing move that has raised eyebrows.

The sandwich is made of two slices of Spam, a product of Hormel Foods LLC, and Mondelez International’s Oreo cookies, topped with mayonnaise”

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Mike and Cornbread

Pops used to do this a lot when we had cornbread leftover, been years since I’ve done it. 

8 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Adding to the Oreo talk

“BEIJING (AP) — McDonald’s is selling a sandwich made of Spam topped with crushed Oreo cookies Monday in China in an attention-grabbing move that has raised eyebrows.

The sandwich is made of two slices of Spam, a product of Hormel Foods LLC, and Mondelez International’s Oreo cookies, topped with mayonnaise”

Had a "bula" burger in New Zealand years ago.  Quarter pounder with a fried egg on it and a slice of beet.  Pretty good.  

50 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Always heard growing up that people liked dipping french fries in milkshakes. Particularly with Wendy’s for some reason. Is this good?

Saw my kid sticking his McDonald’s fries in his milk and eat them the other day which reminded me of this.

Yes

13 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Adding to the Oreo talk

Good god no.

46 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

This is a very traditional French treatment of radishes.  However, it may be your point for Americans, that butter with radishes is a bastardization.  Or, even eating vegetables at all.

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I know many that give you a weird look when you get/ask for a big block of cheddar & a Big Red with your BBQ plate

Are you not in Texas?  Most BBQ places in Texas have the cheddar cheese already cut and wrapped at the counter for you to grab and of course they always have big red.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/21/2020 at 1:24 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

@Walden Ponderer you may not be Deep South enough for this, but have you tried putting salt or salted peanuts in a Coca Cola?

That was the sort of thing I heard about, but associated with Times Gone By, like shooting marbles or ending sentences with a James Cagney "see", see?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Regular, with a little sugar.  Always thought it was/is a southern thing.  A homemade dessert from the leftovers. 

Never put sugar in it but yes, a thing growing up in my house. Furthest north any of my family has lived is Dallas. 

Not sure where this came from but love it 1-5 times a year.

Saltines crushed up in a glass, covered with buttermilk.  Eat with a spoon and a great snack. If you like buttermilk you’ll like it. If no BM then you won’t. 

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Mike and Cornbread

I've seen people do it with sweet cornbread but instead of sugar they use maple syrup or karo

18 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I like syrup on bacon, but really love it with breakfast sausage (patties or links). 

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The proper thing to do when eating breakfast with either pancakes or waffles is to use too much syrup so it spills over onto the eggs and your choice of breakfast meat.  I like it.  But it feels wrong to me to use syrup without the presence of a pancake or waffle.

Also correct