Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

52 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

looks like a blacktip reef shark. 

If he's in the gulf, I think it's just blacktip shark.

The blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus) is a species of requiem shark. It gets its name from the prominent black tips on its fins. The word requiem comes from the French word for shark, requin. They are similar to blacktip sharks (Carcharhinus limbatus), which do not have black markings on their pelvic fins.

shooting star GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

A wasted summer of fishing due to constant winds and rain and an early tropical storm finally came together this afternoon. Hit the big snook hard with one right at 38-40 inches (biggest snook I’ve ever pulled on the beach, took 20 minutes to finesse him in), 3 more over 30, and a bunch in the 20-30 range. The beaches got worked over with the storms but there was a nice cut formed also. Weather was perfect today, water was finally fairly clear, and for once it came together into a good couple of hours on the water. See what tomorrow brings.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A steaming pile of shit is what tomorrow brings. Too much wind, too much seaweed, no fish anywhere to be found. Going to try some backwater areas later this afternoon and see if the baitfish have moved into more protected areas.

Been a slow month for river smallies. It’s been raining everyday and the rivers in MA are all blown out. So, we took a long weekend up to Maine and got rained on until yesterday afternoon. We got a couple hours on the river.

Masshole jr caught the biggest fallfish I have ever seen. It was 17”… will have to check Massholita’s camera for a better picture.

Speaking of Massholita, she caught her PB smallie, 14.5”:
ed9d468a9911859f8d0a26c58d2e262f.jpg

ae125ab52293ed54303c9ddc28ebbce7.jpg

I’m making a trip back up here early August sans kids to focus on fishing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Took the boy out to cruise the beachfront in search of sharks and bulls.  Tried right in front of Pleasure Pier first and caught this old warrior.  Notice the love bite on the back end.

image.thumb.jpeg.4023851b4d15b29bc298b91985f7b88d.jpeg

moved on out a little ways to drift behind a shrimp boat and had a double hookup pretty quick.  Mine got off but his stayed hooked for a good 30 minute fight.

image.thumb.jpeg.d47a0660a1d1b1f8bef844065e45f1ba.jpeg

We kept chasing the shrimper but never got another hookup.  Started getting a little bumpy so we headed back in.  Good afternoon and the boy got his pb shark so far.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

Fished skinny waters in islamorada this morning. Tarpon on the fly. Hooked two, a 10-15 pounder and a 40-50 pounder.  Saw something like this from the large one before I lost it:

9ED3B418-B4BD-4CEA-B11A-813586ACD186.jpeg

The one I had was larger. exhilarating, but not easy fishing. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Btw my guide said “you can’t learn this in a day” man that crap irks me. Look man, I’m not the best but I’m genuine, I want to learn, I’m not there to get my drunk on and I gotta start somewhere. From sailing to fishing to diving to surfing to guitar to just about every hobby worth a damn the entrance is filled with gate keepers. I told him I was a fast study and he squealed more than I did when I hooked that one. He said man, when on the fish your cast got better. I wanted to say I told you I was a quick study.  Can’t learn in a day, well shit maybe not but if I can learn in a week I’m 1 down 6 to go asshole.  That crap sticks with me. 

Sounds like an awesome day, congrats on the hook up!

I don't understand why what he said twisted you off so much though - he's right.  Fly fishing is hard af.  I know you've been at it for a while, but (from what I understand) catching a Tarpon on the fly is one of the harder things you can do with a fly rod... Is there more context to what he said?

I had a fly fishing guide (on my first ever trip) tell me to stop being a bitch after I kept getting visibly frustrated by trying to cast into the wind.  I didn't take offense, I shook it off and tried to not let the wind bug me so much, i.e. she was right.

@troph

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Sounds like an awesome day, congrats on the hook up!

I don't understand why what he said twisted you off so much though - he's right.  Fly fishing is hard af.  I know you've been at it for a while, but (from what I understand) catching a Tarpon on the fly is one of the harder things you can do with a fly rod... Is there more context to what he said?

I had a fly fishing guide (on my first ever trip) tell me to stop being a bitch after I kept getting visibly frustrated by trying to cast into the wind.  I didn't take offense, I shook it off and tried to not let the wind bug me so much, i.e. she was right.

@troph

I love realistic expectations, I was under no illusion at all either. I guess it was his tone and body language - he started the day seemingly rather distraught he had a novice.  I told him I’m advanced novice, this is my first time salt water fly fishing but I’ve fly fished alone successfully (albeit the Guad isn’t that hard I’m told).  I also told him I’m an outdoors enthusiast, and an avid learner and I’m here to practice and learn. 

He didn’t make the comment until I cast 2-3 times.  I hadn’t touched a rod in 7 months and I was rusty plus it was windy as hell. It seemed like more of an “oh boy I’m going to have a long day at this.”  It was defeatist too. Fatalistic and I guess that doesn’t mix well either.  I like to be encouraged what can I say. 

Man either you want my money and will teach me or you just want to take experienced anglers out I get it, but man it left for a tense first hour until he got us on the fish and whadya know she upped her game. 

in the end he was probably fine, I felt dismissed, she can’t do this and a twinge of angry distant father.

maybe I shouldn’t be so damn sensitive. 

I did ask him if I passed when we got back and he was very effusive and said “are you kidding? You got two tarpon to eat on the fly on a short day fishing and did everything right on the big one he just shook you loose in the air and got away.”

It was very hard fishing though I’ll tell you that. Those tarpon spook easy, they move around all the time, they are hard to see, their mouths are hard, and you gotta cast 30+ feet it seems (probably 40+) to really have a chance. 

Ok rant over, I’ll move over the the therapy thread now ha —->

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Florida fly guides in general have a reputation for being assholes. You're lucky he wasn't screaming at you all day. Good friend of mine booked 3 days with a kind of famous one a couple years ago, and half way through the first day he told the guide to take him back to the dock before he beat his ass on his own boat. 

Edit to add my buddy isn't anovice, either. He's caught probably 1,000 bonefish and 50-60 adult Tarpon in his life.

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

Fished skinny waters in islamorada this morning. Tarpon on the fly. Hooked two, a 10-15 pounder and a 40-50 pounder.  Saw something like this from the large one before I lost it:

9ED3B418-B4BD-4CEA-B11A-813586ACD186.jpeg

The one I had was larger. exhilarating, but not easy fishing. 

If you don’t have dinner plans eat at The Square Grouper. 

12 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Florida fly guides in general have a reputation for being assholes. You're lucky he wasn't screaming at you all day. Good friend of mine booked 3 days with a kind of famous one a couple years ago, and half way through the first day he told the guide to take him back to the dock before he beat his ass on his own boat. 

Edit to add my buddy isn't anovice, either. He's caught probably 1,000 bonefish and 50-60 adult Tarpon in his life.

Man what a story.  Yeah I forget how friendly we Texans can be. People ask why I love Texas, here’s another reason why. 

That ain't no shit.
My buddy used to keep a boat in Florida and had a captain run charters on it to defray costs and maintenance.

Mate finds Captains drug stash while headed with clients offshore, dumps the drugs over the side. Captain goes apeshit chasing the mate all over the boat first with a broken bottle then with a knife. Clients are hysterical. Mate jumps overboard and swims for it. Much legal shenanigans insue.

Sounds like a good day.

I feel for guides. You get all sorts of shitheads, drunks and slobs and you are at the mercy of the fish and weather. Tough gig.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Fished with Scott Tripp out of New Smyrna Beach about 10 years ago.  At the time, he was a regular on a bunch of TV shows.  The guy was just an ass.  No fun at all to fish with.  He and my brother in law (another Floridian) went at each other all day.  People in Florida just have a different attitude than Texans.  They're assholes and don't realize it.  I'd move to Islamorada tomorrow if the people down there weren't such dicks.

Edited by Lat22
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

You have to find the right one. The guy that I fish with occasionally is great. He owns a bait and tackle place which I frequent, but I think that lends itself to having a different attitude also. When I bought my fly rod from him, he got someone else to cover the counter and went out back to show me how to cast. Same when I bought cast nets for the first time. He’s always seems to be more about being on the water and teaching than treating it as a job. There are several others in the area that are similar.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, troph said:

I love realistic expectations, I was under no illusion at all either. I guess it was his tone and body language - he started the day seemingly rather distraught he had a novice.  I told him I’m advanced novice, this is my first time salt water fly fishing but I’ve fly fished alone successfully (albeit the Guad isn’t that hard I’m told).  I also told him I’m an outdoors enthusiast, and an avid learner and I’m here to practice and learn. 

He didn’t make the comment until I cast 2-3 times.  I hadn’t touched a rod in 7 months and I was rusty plus it was windy as hell. It seemed like more of an “oh boy I’m going to have a long day at this.”  It was defeatist too. Fatalistic and I guess that doesn’t mix well either.  I like to be encouraged what can I say. 

Man either you want my money and will teach me or you just want to take experienced anglers out I get it, but man it left for a tense first hour until he got us on the fish and whadya know she upped her game. 

in the end he was probably fine, I felt dismissed, she can’t do this and a twinge of angry distant father.

maybe I shouldn’t be so damn sensitive. 

I did ask him if I passed when we got back and he was very effusive and said “are you kidding? You got two tarpon to eat on the fly on a short day fishing and did everything right on the big one he just shook you loose in the air and got away.”

It was very hard fishing though I’ll tell you that. Those tarpon spook easy, they move around all the time, they are hard to see, their mouths are hard, and you gotta cast 30+ feet it seems (probably 40+) to really have a chance. 

Ok rant over, I’ll move over the the therapy thread now ha —->

what you need to understand is that Florida guides are assholes. come to mexico, they actually appreciate you being on their boat and love sharing their passion with you.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
i see that i am late to the party
  • Hook 'Em 1

gonna be in Tahiti in september, I'm thinking super hard about making a fly fishing trip to Tetioria, an atoll like bora bora but without bora bora  ... went down a rabbit hole and found it, quite possibly the stupidest place (maybe in the world) to fly fish for bone fish and then some.  not the diving thread but there are dive sites there too and a dive shop.  fucking insane. I may die broke but holy shit the pictures and memories...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by troph