Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

6 minutes ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

I was optimistic about Herman.  I didn’t love the Beck hire but figured Tom would run the offense so didn’t lament it and almost puke like I did the Watson hire.  

I was all in on Herman though admittedly when I heard Warehime and Meekins got off the plane with him I was worried.

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Assuming he doesn’t have both feet out of the door, I wonder if this is a role PK could modify and deploy Owens in. He’d probably have to be in the box more than deep but maybe he’d accept being called a “rover” instead of linebacker. 

I pretty sure Roach meant BBK and not Budda Baker, but the point still holds that he likes one smaller ILB (or converted safety) to pair with a more protoypical ILB.

Edited by JBJ

33 minutes ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

All I know is we have a badass OC, badass OL coach, badass DC and a bunch of other great coaches.  Assuming Sark is off the sauce, this staff looks outstanding.   

There are no Watsons, Chambers, Koennigs, Meekins, Warehimes, or Mehringers in this group.  

The DC and OL hires were the most important.  And both were A+++++

I'd like to know more about the S&C coach.  That guy will be spend more time with the players in the offseason than any other coach.  He's basically an extension of the HC during offseason.  Going to be a big part of instilling the culture, holding players accountable, etc. 

Chris Marve seems to be recognized universally as a good coach. Vandy fans were upset when he left for MSU, and MSU fans were upset when he left for FSU.

He also coached Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt's only Unanimous All-American in program history, who finished in second for the Butkus Award in 2016 and led the SEC with 119 tackles.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Hmmm said:

I'd like to know more about the S&C coach.  That guy will be spend more time with the players in the offseason than any other coach.  He's basically an extension of the HC during offseason.  Going to be a big part of instilling the culture, holding players accountable, etc. 

He's supposed to be damn good as well. I read that USC tried to hire him a few years ago.

Just now, satyanash said:

Chris Marve seems to be recognized universally as a good coach. Vandy fans were upset when he left for MSU, and MSU fans were upset when he left for FSU.

He also coached Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt's only Unanimous All-American in program history, who finished in second for the Butkus Award in 2016 and led the SEC with 119 tackles.

Bama would offer a grayshirt to a top 300 recruit.

• Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'll keep harping on this until the season starts, but there is a huge difference between Herman and Sark. 

Herman had nothing but success at Ohio State and UH. He came to Austin as an arrogant know-it-all, acting like he knew the exact recipe for championship success. He didn't face much adversity until he started coaching at Texas, and he had a rocky 4 years here.

Sark had a dream job at USC and it was taken away from him. He hit bottom and had to climb back up. He knows what it's like to fail hard. Some will look at that as a weakness, but I like the idea of a HC who knows what it's like to lose everything. I expect he'll coach with a sense of urgency and won't take it for granted. That's a mentality we need after a decade of shit football. 

Anyone that has failed and worked their ass off for redemption understands. 

I'm not concerned with Sark handling failure. I'm concerned with how he will handle success. Texas can become a different beast when you win. A-list celebrities, billionaires, politicians, and Texas HS football coaches will all want a piece of his time. 

Remember how snubbed recruits would treat Texas when they didn’t get an offer (this only happens when we win consistently)? Can he handle intense fan adoration? All the things that eventually made Mack too comfortable during his tenure. I know he can handle the type of adversity that comes with failure, but I hope Sark is ready for success at a place like Texas.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Coach K article in The Athletic

[Spoiler]/[Spoiler]

Pete Kwiatkowski was content to remain at Washington for an eighth season. In fact, other schools had inquired about openings and none piqued the defensive coordinator’s interest. But when Jeff Banks, the newly hired special teams coordinator at Texas and a longtime coaching acquaintance, reached out last weekend to gauge Kwiatkowski’s interest in the Longhorns’ defensive coordinator position, Kwiatkowski knew it was time to consider a change.

Banks is already recruiting at a high level for us.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'll keep harping on this until the season starts, but there is a huge difference between Herman and Sark. 

Herman had nothing but success at Ohio State and UH. He came to Austin as an arrogant know-it-all, acting like he knew the exact recipe for championship success. He didn't face much adversity until he started coaching at Texas, and he had a rocky 4 years here.

Sark had a dream job at USC and it was taken away from him. He hit bottom and had to climb back up. He knows what it's like to fail hard. Some will look at that as a weakness, but I like the idea of a HC who knows what it's like to lose everything. I expect he'll coach with a sense of urgency and won't take it for granted. We're already seeing it with his staff hires. That's a mentality we need after a decade of shit football. 

Hey now! Good take. 

That other top coaches, including many who have worked with him, some even on the staff of the best damned football program in America, have chosen to leave their established jobs and join Sarkisian’s staff, tells me more about the man than anything else.

They believe. 

So, fuck it, I do too.

• Hook 'Em 4

Good interview. He seems really plain spoken and direct, you don’t get a lot of bullshit coach-speak from those answers. 

I don’t think it speaks to his coaching ability one way or the other but kind of interesting. Also I don’t remember a lot of coaches giving interviews like that on why and how they took a new job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

[Spoiler]/[Spoiler]

Pete Kwiatkowski was content to remain at Washington for an eighth season. In fact, other schools had inquired about openings and none piqued the defensive coordinator’s interest. But when Jeff Banks, the newly hired special teams coordinator at Texas and a longtime coaching acquaintance, reached out last weekend to gauge Kwiatkowski’s interest in the Longhorns’ defensive coordinator position, Kwiatkowski knew it was time to consider a change.

By Tuesday, he had accepted an offer to become defensive coordinator under new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian.

Kwiatkowski spoke with The Athletic on Wednesday afternoon about his time at Washington, the opportunity that awaits at Texas and why he felt now was the right time to make a move. Responses have been lightly edited for clarity and length.

Did you know Sark previously?

I’ve known him in recruiting, a long time ago, in Orange County and L.A. Having coached with Justin (Wilcox) … Coach Wilcox and him worked together, so I’ve gotten to know him that way. And obviously competing against each other.

When he got that job, did you think that would be a coordinator position you’d be interested in?

Not really. You’re always sort of like, ‘That would be a cool place to coach,’ or whatever. But I didn’t really have any connections that way with anybody out there. I’m usually pretty realistic about that kind of stuff.

What appealed to you about the job?

I’ve been here seven years. It’s been seven awesome years. The idea of just building a defense again, doing something new, I think it was just time for a change. I can’t put it into words. It’s just like a feel, you know? You love where you’re at, you love the guys you’re working with and all that, but you just get an itch to do something different, and this opportunity arose.

How would you describe the last year and the transition from Chris Petersen to Jimmy Lake?

Everything was great other than COVID. Everything was awesome. The kids handled it well. There was a lot of continuity, and I think JD (John Donovan) came in and did an awesome job (with the offense). The COVID deal threw a wrench in everything, which everybody else was dealing with, too. That was a bummer. Would have liked to play more games than we did.

Were you thinking once the season ended that you were going to be more proactive about looking for other opportunities?

I was content to stay here. You just look at my track record, I’m not one to up and move. But I also never say never, right? You don’t want to be pigeonholed into that deal. Just an opportunity came up, and I know a few guys on that staff. That always helps — any transition where you’re going with a bunch of new guys and putting something together. Different part of the country, different conference — it’s all new. I’ve always been a West Coast, Northwest guy. I’m a competitive guy and I want to go see what it’s like to compete there.

You helped recruit the state of Texas for UW. Did you spend much time in Austin?

I’ve been to Austin one time to visit the University of Texas, back when Mack Brown was coach and Will Muschamp was the DC. And then all the other times I’ve been there were for recruiting. I’d fly in or drive over from Dallas to go to a school and watch a kid practice or something, and I was out. I don’t know much about it other than I stayed downtown, drove through some neighborhoods, been through a couple high schools.

Could you get a sense of how different the football culture is there?

You can say that about the Midwest, the South. There’s definitely a different engagement from the fans. It’s just more of … it’s in their blood, you know? Some people say it’s like church for a lot of them. For whatever reason, it just means more to the fans in those parts of the country.

Is that part of the draw to Texas?

That all wears off. To me, coaching is about relationships and getting guys to get better. Everywhere I’ve been, I’ve always had good experiences because I’ve had great relationships with good people, and it’s been no different here at Washington, and I’m expecting to build the same type of deal at Texas with the guys there and the players there. To me, that’s what it’s always been about.

Way back when I was getting out of college, I was going to be a schoolteacher and I wanted to enjoy going to work and doing what I’m doing, and not have it be work on a day-in, day-out basis. I was fortunate enough to be able to get into college football. Everywhere I’ve been, it always comes back to the relationships, the friendships and working toward something with other guys, young and old.

Who do you know on staff there?

I know Jeff Banks and Torre Becton, the strength coach. Torre was here. And I’ve known Jeff for a long time, way back in our Big Sky days, hanging out together, recruiting.

What was that first call with Sark like?

“What’s up, man? How we doing?” Just real casual. We just really chopped it up. Nothing different than talking to an acquaintance or friend.

How did Jimmy Lake take the news?

Jimmy’s great. He was happy for me and excited about the opportunity. We’ve been together for a long time and he totally understands. We’re in the same profession, but we’re friends. It’s just part of what happens. (Kwiatkowski declined to discuss whether UW countered Texas’ offer.)

What do you think of where Washington is at as a program?

We’ve got good guys. We’ve got good coaches. Obviously, they’ve got to get better. That comes with young guys here and there, and reps, and time. They’re going to make that next step, for sure, offense and defense. I think they’re in a good spot. A lot of dudes coming back. I know the guys are all about it. And the culture’s good. When the culture’s good, you can do good things.

You’ve been around Jimmy Lake for a long time. Did you notice a difference in him going from assistant coach to head coach?

The biggest thing is he’s leading the rooms, he’s leading the meetings. His messaging and the goals that he puts for the team, just the communication part of him telling us and then us implementing it with the guys — that’s the biggest difference. Less X’s and O’s and more culture and getting guys all rolling in the right direction. Big-picture stuff.

So he wasn’t as involved in the day-to-day as before?

Yeah. He’d have his ideas in there and they were always welcomed. We used a lot of them.

Zion Tupuola-Fetui broke out last year. Who are some other young guys who you think could emerge soon?

All the guys, but obviously if Laiatu (Latu) can come back from his injury, that guy is going to be an unbelievable player. Sav’ell (Smalls), for a true freshman, he flashed. He’s just got to take that next-year step in the weight room, getting tightened up in a little bit better shape and learning how to play with better technique and that kind of stuff. But the physical ability is there, and the want-to. I think he’s going to be really good. I think Daniel Heimuli is going to take that next step at linebacker. He’s got a knack for finding the ball and playing fast. He’s doing a better job of getting in the playbook and knowing what he’s supposed to do on a more consistent basis.

What are you most proud of from your time at Washington?

I’m always really proud of all the guys that earn all-conference, have the opportunity to get drafted, go to the NFL, that you’ve helped develop as a football player. And then you pair that with the off-field stuff, where you’re meeting with them about academics and getting them to understand the importance of doing things right — the work ethic, the discipline, the consistency that you need to have to be successful. And then those guys who maybe school came harder to them, but they kept their nose to the grindstone and ended up with a 2.8, a 3.0 — that fired me up.

It’s the same thing out on the field for the guys. They might not be perceived as a big-time recruit, but with hard work and listening and taking the coaching … maybe they had a chip on their shoulder, but they were focused on the task at hand, to get better, to improve, and they did it on a day-in and day-out basis, and they ended up being big-time contributors for us when other people might have thought they weren’t good enough.

How many other opportunities have you had to leave over the years?

There’s been other people that have reached out. I’m just not going to waste people’s time on that type of stuff, playing the game — “Oh, yeah, I’m interested,” to try to get more money from Washington. Every year somebody reaches out. Even before this job, I had a couple schools reach out and obviously I didn’t do anything with them. But this one was different.

What was the biggest difference between this opportunity and some others over the years?

It’s the University of Texas. I know Sark. I know guys who have coached with Sark. I know a couple guys on the staff, so I have a good feel for the culture and what it’s going to be like working with all these guys. And then I paired that with, I’ve been here seven years, and I wasn’t opposed to going out and doing something to start over. That’s what it really boiled down to.

So Banks already reeled in his first five star. Fuck yes. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kdub said:

This staff is making me optimistic, I'm sipping the Kool-aid 

I have been waiting many years for this hire.

It has been hard for me to like Surly Horns. I am not the great thinker like Pato del Merto Wuhan Horn, South Austin, CTJ, Burt Macklin, South Austin, Ztejas (sans Futureman) or Kicking Bird is. I always feel anger first regarding Texas Football. There were never answers to my questions. But now I think other warriors  like Phoenixhorn, Sua Sponte,Beowulf, rpongett and Thujone came and went away because they were preparing us for Sarkisian. That is how I see it.  I have been prepared and waiting for this day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So Banks recruited our DC.  wow

The closest these two came to coaching together was when Banks coached at Washington State and PK at Eastern Washington 20 years ago. This type of relationship building and staying in touch is why he is such a stud recruiter. 

• Hook 'Em 5

59 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sark had a dream job at USC and it was taken away from him. He hit bottom and had to climb back up. He knows what it's like to fail hard. Some will look at that as a weakness, but I like the idea of a HC who knows what it's like to lose everything. I expect he'll coach with a sense of urgency and won't take it for granted. We're already seeing it with his staff hires. That's a mentality we need after a decade of shit football. 

exactly

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

It has been hard for me to like Surly Horns. I am not the great thinker like Pato del Merto Wuhan Horn, South Austin, CTJ, Burt Macklin, South Austin, Ztejas (sans Futureman) or Kicking Bird is. I always feel anger first regarding Texas Football. There were never answers to my questions. But now I think other warriors  like Phoenixhorn, Sua Sponte,Beowulf, rpongett and Thujone came and went away because they were preparing us for Sarkisian. That is how I see it.  I have been prepared and waiting for this day.

A5ED6BCF-C327-46E1-8B5C-789BC6D2537B.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Hey now! Good take. 

That other top coaches, including many who have worked with him, some even on the staff of the best damned football program in America, have chosen to leave their established jobs and join Sarkisian’s staff, tells me more about the man than anything else.

They believe. 

So, fuck it, I do too.

Exactly, these aren’t just some guys thrown together. Can’t help but to be excited for the future.

56 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

[Spoiler]/[Spoiler]

By Tuesday, he had accepted an offer to become defensive coordinator under new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian.

Kwiatkowski spoke with The Athletic on Wednesday afternoon about his time at Washington, the opportunity that awaits at Texas and why he felt now was the right time to make a move. Responses have been lightly edited for clarity and length.

Did you know Sark previously?

I’ve known him in recruiting, a long time ago, in Orange County and L.A. Having coached with Justin (Wilcox) … Coach Wilcox and him worked together, so I’ve gotten to know him that way. And obviously competing against each other.

When he got that job, did you think that would be a coordinator position you’d be interested in?

Not really. You’re always sort of like, ‘That would be a cool place to coach,’ or whatever. But I didn’t really have any connections that way with anybody out there. I’m usually pretty realistic about that kind of stuff.

What appealed to you about the job?

I’ve been here seven years. It’s been seven awesome years. The idea of just building a defense again, doing something new, I think it was just time for a change. I can’t put it into words. It’s just like a feel, you know? You love where you’re at, you love the guys you’re working with and all that, but you just get an itch to do something different, and this opportunity arose.

How would you describe the last year and the transition from Chris Petersen to Jimmy Lake?

Everything was great other than COVID. Everything was awesome. The kids handled it well. There was a lot of continuity, and I think JD (John Donovan) came in and did an awesome job (with the offense). The COVID deal threw a wrench in everything, which everybody else was dealing with, too. That was a bummer. Would have liked to play more games than we did.

Were you thinking once the season ended that you were going to be more proactive about looking for other opportunities?

I was content to stay here. You just look at my track record, I’m not one to up and move. But I also never say never, right? You don’t want to be pigeonholed into that deal. Just an opportunity came up, and I know a few guys on that staff. That always helps — any transition where you’re going with a bunch of new guys and putting something together. Different part of the country, different conference — it’s all new. I’ve always been a West Coast, Northwest guy. I’m a competitive guy and I want to go see what it’s like to compete there.

You helped recruit the state of Texas for UW. Did you spend much time in Austin?

I’ve been to Austin one time to visit the University of Texas, back when Mack Brown was coach and Will Muschamp was the DC. And then all the other times I’ve been there were for recruiting. I’d fly in or drive over from Dallas to go to a school and watch a kid practice or something, and I was out. I don’t know much about it other than I stayed downtown, drove through some neighborhoods, been through a couple high schools.

Could you get a sense of how different the football culture is there?

You can say that about the Midwest, the South. There’s definitely a different engagement from the fans. It’s just more of … it’s in their blood, you know? Some people say it’s like church for a lot of them. For whatever reason, it just means more to the fans in those parts of the country.

Is that part of the draw to Texas?

That all wears off. To me, coaching is about relationships and getting guys to get better. Everywhere I’ve been, I’ve always had good experiences because I’ve had great relationships with good people, and it’s been no different here at Washington, and I’m expecting to build the same type of deal at Texas with the guys there and the players there. To me, that’s what it’s always been about.

Way back when I was getting out of college, I was going to be a schoolteacher and I wanted to enjoy going to work and doing what I’m doing, and not have it be work on a day-in, day-out basis. I was fortunate enough to be able to get into college football. Everywhere I’ve been, it always comes back to the relationships, the friendships and working toward something with other guys, young and old.

Who do you know on staff there?

I know Jeff Banks and Torre Becton, the strength coach. Torre was here. And I’ve known Jeff for a long time, way back in our Big Sky days, hanging out together, recruiting.

What was that first call with Sark like?

“What’s up, man? How we doing?” Just real casual. We just really chopped it up. Nothing different than talking to an acquaintance or friend.

How did Jimmy Lake take the news?

Jimmy’s great. He was happy for me and excited about the opportunity. We’ve been together for a long time and he totally understands. We’re in the same profession, but we’re friends. It’s just part of what happens. (Kwiatkowski declined to discuss whether UW countered Texas’ offer.)

What do you think of where Washington is at as a program?

We’ve got good guys. We’ve got good coaches. Obviously, they’ve got to get better. That comes with young guys here and there, and reps, and time. They’re going to make that next step, for sure, offense and defense. I think they’re in a good spot. A lot of dudes coming back. I know the guys are all about it. And the culture’s good. When the culture’s good, you can do good things.

You’ve been around Jimmy Lake for a long time. Did you notice a difference in him going from assistant coach to head coach?

The biggest thing is he’s leading the rooms, he’s leading the meetings. His messaging and the goals that he puts for the team, just the communication part of him telling us and then us implementing it with the guys — that’s the biggest difference. Less X’s and O’s and more culture and getting guys all rolling in the right direction. Big-picture stuff.

So he wasn’t as involved in the day-to-day as before?

Yeah. He’d have his ideas in there and they were always welcomed. We used a lot of them.

Zion Tupuola-Fetui broke out last year. Who are some other young guys who you think could emerge soon?

All the guys, but obviously if Laiatu (Latu) can come back from his injury, that guy is going to be an unbelievable player. Sav’ell (Smalls), for a true freshman, he flashed. He’s just got to take that next-year step in the weight room, getting tightened up in a little bit better shape and learning how to play with better technique and that kind of stuff. But the physical ability is there, and the want-to. I think he’s going to be really good. I think Daniel Heimuli is going to take that next step at linebacker. He’s got a knack for finding the ball and playing fast. He’s doing a better job of getting in the playbook and knowing what he’s supposed to do on a more consistent basis.

What are you most proud of from your time at Washington?

I’m always really proud of all the guys that earn all-conference, have the opportunity to get drafted, go to the NFL, that you’ve helped develop as a football player. And then you pair that with the off-field stuff, where you’re meeting with them about academics and getting them to understand the importance of doing things right — the work ethic, the discipline, the consistency that you need to have to be successful. And then those guys who maybe school came harder to them, but they kept their nose to the grindstone and ended up with a 2.8, a 3.0 — that fired me up.

It’s the same thing out on the field for the guys. They might not be perceived as a big-time recruit, but with hard work and listening and taking the coaching … maybe they had a chip on their shoulder, but they were focused on the task at hand, to get better, to improve, and they did it on a day-in and day-out basis, and they ended up being big-time contributors for us when other people might have thought they weren’t good enough.

How many other opportunities have you had to leave over the years?

There’s been other people that have reached out. I’m just not going to waste people’s time on that type of stuff, playing the game — “Oh, yeah, I’m interested,” to try to get more money from Washington. Every year somebody reaches out. Even before this job, I had a couple schools reach out and obviously I didn’t do anything with them. But this one was different.

What was the biggest difference between this opportunity and some others over the years?

It’s the University of Texas. I know Sark. I know guys who have coached with Sark. I know a couple guys on the staff, so I have a good feel for the culture and what it’s going to be like working with all these guys. And then I paired that with, I’ve been here seven years, and I wasn’t opposed to going out and doing something to start over. That’s what it really boiled down to.

This speaks volumes to how Sark is approaching this job and can’t be interpreted as anything other than fantastic news. He is compiling coaches that appear to be genuine guys that are interested in building relationships that also happen to be fantastic coaches.

Talk about a 180 from fuckface. In my experience, true intelligence doesn’t need to label itself. Good riddance Mensa.   

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USMCHorn said:

Anyone that has failed and worked their ass off for redemption understands. 

I'm not concerned with Sark handling failure. I'm concerned with how he will handle success. Texas can become a different beast when you win. A-list celebrities, billionaires, politicians, and Texas HS football coaches will all want a piece of his time. 

Remember how snubbed recruits would treat Texas when they didn’t get an offer (this only happens when we win consistently)? Can he handle intense fan adoration? All the things that eventually made Mack too comfortable during his tenure. I know he can handle the type of adversity that comes with failure, but I hope Sark is ready for success at a place like Texas.

I think we are overdue for have the "challenge of success" as a problem, I am more than ready!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1