Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

13 minutes ago, ousux said:

The roster Chuckie inherited was the worst in Texas football history, really? Tell me which of the following you wouldnt want on the team today..
Jordan Hicks
Quandre Diggs
Malcolm Brown- RB
Malcom Brown- DT
D'onta Foreman

And then of course the highly rated but dissapointing Jonathan Gray, Armanti Foreman and David Ash...none of which we'd want today, but thats in hindsight only.

There was some good talent on that team especially on defense.

However, once Ash went down there were no viable QBs and the OL was terrible, playing a guy whose nickname was NCAA (No Contact At All).

The defense was fine but the offense was terrible and not much to be done about it in the short term.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Had to posrep this just because people negging a post purely because it's pessimistic is lame as hell.

It's ok to have a pessimistic view if you can back up your position. He couldn't. 

He didn't even know that Joseph coached safeties and that Kyle Hamilton was one of the best safeties in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Modessit said:

Was this mentioned? A brief search of this thread didn't show anything although I'm sure[mention=324]Machinator[/mention] already got it. Wonder if hiring Coach K has anything to do with the decision:

9467b1fdc46a53419259370bcb4802af.jpg

It was discussed in the general offseason thread because that's where it belongs. Unless he's coming back as an analyst.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Herman = late era Mack Brown without the built up goodwill.

Manny Diaz told me that Mack wouldn't let him recruit certain players he wanted. And I know that going back to Muschamp, Mack had to watch film on players before assistants could offer. Problem was, Mack sometimes would never find the time to watch the film. It's why he liked those early camp offers so much. No effort required on his part.

Sally’s cookies weren’t going to eat themselves.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Was this mentioned? A brief search of this thread didn't show anything although I'm sure[mention=324]Machinator[/mention] already got it. Wonder if hiring Coach K has anything to do with the decision:

“Let’s get active”? Sounds like an aerobics instructor at Sun City. 

That said, I’m glad he’s coming back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

It was discussed in the general offseason thread because that's where it belongs. Unless he's coming back as an analyst.
Or here if a coaching hire influences a player's return. Or if it helps discuss how a new coach can use said player in their scheme. Or whether the player can make fajitas.

Maybe it would help if we knew how Jones feels about David Ash?
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

I look at the coaching hires like this:

Banks, Drayton, Flood, PK, and Davis are all top shelf, no-brainer type hires. 

Coleman and Gideon have lots of upside but need to prove it. Every staff needs younger, energetic types. No complaints here on either.

Milwee and Joseph are question marks but given how early both were hired, Sark likes what he sees from both. These are  the only two where I can see legitimate criticism leveled if they don't work out.

Interesting note on Mike Davis. He has been working as a private WR coach in the LT area for the last few years. I coached 7s with him (we won state). Good guy. He is good with players and their parents.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Coleman and Gideon have lots of upside but need to prove it. Every staff needs younger, energetic types. No complaints here on either.

Milwee and Joseph are question marks but given how early both were hired, Sark likes what he sees from both. These are  the only two where I can see legitimate criticism leveled if they don't work out.

Interesting note on Mike Davis. He has been working as a private WR coach in the LT area for the last few years. I coached 7s with him (we won state). Good guy. He is good with players and their parents.

Andre Coleman is a 48yo former offensive coordinator. Not sure I'd classify him as "younger"

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I was never impressed with Ash when he was in HS. He had good measurables and was decent, but there was nothing about his game that stood out. Another lazy take on our part.

I do think he is a good guy, which has nothing to do with his football ability.

Ash had a 157 pass rating as a true sophomore.  I think he was progressing very nicely before he got hurt.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Andre Coleman is a 48yo former offensive coordinator. Not sure I'd classify him as "younger"

damn, well he seems like a younger coach? or Gideon is the younger part and Coleman is the energetic? lol.. my mistake.

Edited by Longhorn94

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Coach K prioritizes coverage ability and asks less of his nickel in the run game than previous UT staffs, so a guy like Adimora doesn't fit as well. I'm not sure if we have the right guy on the roster. I think Jamison is a really good candidate.

The IT mods (yeah, I know) were really hyping Dunn's coverage ability on the outside. If he can come in and be a plug and play guy immediately Jamison at nickel makes a lot of sense to me. That is likely his NFL spot anyway. 

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So Tom was right in bringing over his UH staff? 

No, Tom’s issue was that he relied too heavily on coaches he knew and was comfortable with and those coaches are not high performers in their professions. At least not at large scale Universities. Texas is a different animal and our hope was that Tom understood that when he was hired. I’m not sure he had all the support that Sark seems to have but he had a choice to hire outside of his comfort zone and didn’t, for one reason or another. By all accounts, Sark is hiring guys he’s familiar with or aware of that are also high performers. Not all but the core are. I also believe that he had plans for certain coaches that fell through or changed and he adjusted accordingly. He didn’t bring in some random coach that he’s always had in staff but rather he got one of the best available in Coach K, that many thought was a lifer at UW. 

You can hire people you know and still be hiring high performers. If Tom’s staff performed at a high level he’d still be here and wouldn’t have had to fire most his coaches after year 3. Firing 1–2 would tell me they just didn’t click. Firing multiple people on both sides tells me Tom didn’t do his job and was in over his head. Time will tell with Sark but his staff at this point seems to be built well. 

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

He also coached Notre  dame the entire year.  Looks like their defense wasn’t awful.  Is it because they had an elite front 7?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I’m too lazy to look it up on a mobile

The strength of Notre Dame's defense were the safeties who were coached by Joseph. 

Hamilton was a first team All ACC player and made several All American teams. Shaun Crawford was also very good at safety and he was a below average corner before this season. 

I can understand people being concerned about Joseph coaching corners but people should do a little bit of research. If you're criticizing Jospeh because of last season at Notre Dame you're fucking lost and deserve to be negged. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

You aren't wrong.  Neither is @Vertigo.

Play the man, then the ball.  If you don't have the man, turning for the ball gets you killed. 

If you have the man already, it's better to turn for the ball.

Yes, this. You don't turn your head until you are on the hip of the receiver. If you do it before then you are cooked. But any DB not named Kris Boyd would know that. 

25 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Oh, he’ll forego the 2021 NFL Draft all right.

What’s wrong with these kids?  Who’s in their ear?  How the hell could he even remotely think he’d be draftable after a career of doing nothing notable?  He wasn’t even some type of  hyped-up 5-star coming in. 

50 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I was never impressed with Ash when he was in HS. He had good measurables and was decent, but there was nothing about his game that stood out. Another lazy take on our part.

I do think he is a good guy, which has nothing to do with his football ability.

Ash was coming along nicely until he had to hang it up. I don't think it was a lazy take at all. Especially with how many QBs we have missed from our own backyard. He had the potential to be a really good college QB and made good on some of it.

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The strength of Notre Dame's defense were the safeties who were coached by Joseph. 

Hamilton was a first team All ACC player and made several All American teams. Shaun Crawford was also very good at safety and he was a below average corner before this season. 

I can understand people being concerned about Joseph coaching corners but people should do a little bit of research. If you're criticizing Jospeh because of last season at Notre Dame you're fucking lost and deserve to be negged. 

I didn’t watch every game but their defense seemed to be pretty good.  They shut down unc

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

I 100% agree.  It’s exciting to see where this can go.  I’ve followed college football my whole life and I’ve come to learn that most college coaches are idiots.  Most of these guys would probably never get into a school like Texas.  The reason I’m making this point is that these coaches sometimes make this job harder than it is.  In today’s college football, you need to 100% do the following.  Only a few programs can offer you the opportunity to do this and Texas is one of them.  You do the following and you will compete for the CFP.  Kirby Smart, who is an idiot, has proven this.

1.  Hire a team of good coaches and recruiters.  Sark has done this.

2.  Don’t be a dick to your team and recruits.  Sark seems to be very likeable. 

3.  Let the coaches you hire do their jobs without meddling.  Herman struggled with this, Strong seemed oblivious to anything and everything on this end.  Sark stated in his interview that the biggest thing he learned from Saban was to let the coaches do their jobs and not to try to do everything yourself.

4.  The most important aspect.  Recruit the biggest and fastest guys.  You will win 90% of your games in college football by simply just having better athletes.  Put your best players in space and give them the damn ball.  Herman couldn’t do this.  He stuck to his stupid system and played favorites.  Strong didn’t have the players.  That roster he inherited may have been the worst in the history of Texas football.

Just do those things above Sark and you will be a legend here, I promise you.

This can also be applied to anyone running a company/business/ team/etc...  Often times the leaders that failed, can look back and see they couldn’t/didn’t delegate or spent too much time trying to be a part of every aspect of the team’s job. Pride and Ego will fuck you over 9/10. It’s ultimately why I believe Mack went south, beside apparent complacency. What many failed leaders tend to do is get butt hurt when their direct reports get the credit for something good, not realizing that them looking good reflects well on their performance. 

here’s to Sark getting our ship righted and back in the conversation. 🤘🏼

*** Jalen Green entered the portal and has received an offer from Mississippi State. You can make the connection there with former Texas DB coach Jason Washington. We are told there is still a chance he may stick around at Texas.
Are we doing Herman from the start? Should Sark set precedent that once you enter the portal then you have quit the team? Is this year different where he gives players the benefit of the doubt? I say if they enter the portal it is time to let them go and wish them the best. He did say part of being successful is perseverance.

Considering he called the opt outs “quitters”, I’m thinking he won’t be too receptive to Mr.Green attempting a return to the 40
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Are we doing Herman from the start? Should Sark set precedent that once you enter the portal then you have quit the team? Is this year different where he gives players the benefit of the doubt? I say if they enter the portal it is time to let them go and wish them the best. He did say part of being successful is perseverance.

Considering he called the opt outs “quitters”, I’m thinking he won’t be too receptive to Mr.Green attempting a return to the 40

We're going to be at a scholarship deficit that the incoming 30 won't fill, so if anyone wants back in, I'd welcome them back to help with roster depth if they're contrite, unless they're a locker room cancer 

45 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

damn, well he seems like a younger coach? or Gideon is the younger part and Coleman is the energetic? lol.. my mistake.

It's just because you are getting older, even the old guys seem young .

What was the often forgotten wooderson quote?   "That's why I like these young coaches... I get older they stay the same age."

Or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

for those wondering about Lupoi... he and DeRuyter are 2 of the 3 finalists for the Oregon DC job apparently.  Dunno who the other candidate is...

heard from a guy who who knows a guy who has a friend in the Oregon office

So, from where I'm sitting, that is some quality fifth-hand information.  

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Yes, this. You don't turn your head until you are on the hip of the receiver. If you do it before then you are cooked. But any DB not named Kris Boyd would know that. 

Not wanting to get involved in this but was wondering if y’all are talking man or zone

Thanks I’ll hang up and listen 

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Please tell me Mike Davis is working with Greathouse 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t understand all the Coleman needs to prove him self shit I keep seeing. He spent 4 years around bill snyder as a player and 5 as a coach, played in the nfl for 5 years, 9 years now as a wr coach then was promoted to OC. Am I missing something? It’s been proven anytime he spent around herman as a coach has absolutely no bearing on how good he is. I guess we need something to wring our hands about lol. 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t understand all the Coleman needs to prove him self shit I keep seeing. He spent 4 years around bill snyder as a player and 5 as a coach, played in the nfl for 5 years, 9 years now as a wr coach then was promoted to OC. Am I missing something? It’s been proven anytime he spent around herman as a coach has absolutely no bearing on how good he is. I guess we need something to wring our hands about lol. 

I think the issue for most people is that our receivers were unable to get off press coverage pretty much across-the-board. That’s a coachable fix. Also, the rotation was nuts. So, people naturally put that on Coleman.....now we hear Herman was in everyone’s ear hole. 

Edited by Daichee Bell

I'm completely comfortable with Coleman as the WR coach even if that really wasn't the direction I was hoping to see us go. It seems completely reasonable to me that he was hamstrung by Herman's fuckery last season given everything else we know about the guy. 

My main question is if he has such a great reputation among the coaching community, why wasn't he quickly snatched up as a WR coach (or OC) by someone after Snyder retired? For a coach at his level/experience, taking a job as an analyst seems like a guy who needs to rehabilitate or reset his coaching career. It's not really consistent with a proven coach in his prime that big time coaches are fighting over.

• Hook 'Em 2