Super Bowl LV Game Thread: Chiefs vs Bucs

Vic Mackey

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How does one do that when one cannot interface with the site to use Cookie Monster?  Clear it from the browser so it requests another?

yep. I leave those in rotation in case one of the 3 main ones dies it serves as a "warm standby" type setup, my guess is tonight some people got unlucky and put on one of these and they are much lower horsepower so maybe just got overloaded or something. 

I did not watch this game closely, but I did get a friend to place a bet for me over in Jersey on Tampa winning the game straight up. My thinking was fairly simple. I felt what most folks might call some irrational confidence in Todd Bowles. I took Brady completely out of the equation and said that Bowles was not going to have his defense be embarrassed again by Tyreek Hill and that they'd shut him down. I told this same friend this before the game and he kinda waived that off. I just could not see Mahomes beating that defense today and that Bowles would have a plan in place that would shut them down. Again I just felt this irrational confidence in him for whatever reason.

I also partially placed the bet because this would be payback for Brady since Spagnuolo shut him down in what could have been the 19-0 season when he was the DC with the Giants. There was ample motivation for Brady to beat Mahomes as well as Spagnuolo. He did both and what I did see of Brady looked like his vintage self. The guy is simply incredible. 

I also think it should be mentioned that Byron Leftwich is one heckuva offensive coordinator. Perhaps this has happened, but would this be the first time that a team with African-Americans as both coordinators has won the Super Bowl? I honestly do not know as I don't keep up with the NFL that closely anymore. I thought they were both superb. I think Bowles might be a guy better suited to being a DC than the guy running the show. I will be interested to see who eventually hires Leftwich as their head coach. I always liked him as a player going back to Marshall. Seems like a pretty good guy from what I can tell. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i gotta be honest... he didnt have too many short throws... he made like 9 houdini rules, but his receivers dropped multiple throws that would have at least made it closer

Andy Reid never adjusted his game plan to deal with the Tampa rush.  Not sure I saw a planned  bootleg, screen, or hot route all game.  Just a lot of let’s look deep down the middle, the have a injured Mahomes run for his life. 

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

29 QB pressures for Tampa today, most of them with 4 guys. 
getting pressure with 4 is the only thing that kills the modern offense nowadays. No solution at all for that. 

Those backup tackles for KC were getting wrecked all night. 75 especially. Story of the game really. Even so, there were a handful of Mahomes throws where he was in the grasp and still hit his receiver in the face mask. If they catch those, its a different game.  His receivers played like they expected a sack and that fucked the team. Mahomes actually played his ass off under the circumstances. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Andy Reid never adjusted his game plan to deal with the Tampa rush.  Not sure I saw a planned  bootleg, screen, or hot route all game.  Just a lot of let’s look deep down the middle, the have a injured Mahomes run for his life. 

This. Or mix in some draw plays? But to have Mahomes dropping back virtually every play was idiotic

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

HairyDopeyHornedtoad-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

They also didn't ever go max protect to give him any time.  It's usually where KC has the advantage in that Mahomes can get rid of the ball so quickly or buy time in the pocket that KC can only have 5 blockers and maybe leave the back in to pick up a blitz.  They didn't have that luxury tonight.  Someone up thread mentioned it, but you have to be able to get pressure with 4 against a team like the Chiefs.  It was the same way when the Giants beat Brady those 2 times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

getting pressure with 4 is the only thing that kills the modern offense nowadays. No solution at all for that. 
This is it right here. Every football coach in the world should understand this. Protect the passer and harass the passer.

I said it in the Brady ass kissing thread. He's Mack Jones. Mack Jones whipped ass in large part because his teammates were dominant. No one will ever match 7 titles, but there was nothing special about his playoff run or tonight with respect to his performance. He played well but he was kept incredibly clean. And it ain't all because he gets rid of it so quick. Spare me the shit he sees stuff others don't. Based on the individual performances tonight, I'd damn near take every Buc over their KC counterpart.

Mahomes had two incredible throws doink right off receivers in the end zone. Not easy catches mind you but very catchable. If you switch QBs teams, Mahomes wins and it isn't close. His stats won't reflect it but he played pretty well.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

This is it right here. Every football coach in the world should understand this. Protect the passer and harass the passer.

I said it in the Brady ass kissing thread. He's Mack Jones. Mack Jones whipped ass in large part because his teammates were dominant. No one will ever match 7 titles, but there was nothing special about his playoff run or tonight with respect to his performance. He played well but he was kept incredibly clean. And it ain't all because he gets rid of it so quick. Spare me the shit he sees stuff others don't. Based on the individual performances tonight, I'd damn near take every Buc over their KC counterpart.

Mahomes had two incredible throws doink right off receivers in the end zone. Not easy catches mind you but very catchable. If you switch QBs teams, Mahomes wins and it isn't close. His stats won't reflect it but he played pretty well.

Mahomes played a phenomenal game. He made some ridiculous throws in trouble that were dropped. He had no protection all night.  It may very well be a different story without OL injuries.  But they scored 31 last year. Bucs scored 31 this year and sat on the ball at the end. So maybe in the end, Brady was able to carve up the KC defense better than SF last year.  And better than Winston could do with TB receivers. Sure it's not all Brady. People forget that Manziel owes Mike Evans every dollar he ever made.  Godwin is a WR1 on most teams. But it was a mediocre squad overall and Brady took Winston's mediocre squad to a title. 

• Like 1

Mahomes played a phenomenal game. He made some ridiculous throws in trouble that were dropped. He had no protection all night.  It may very well be a different story without OL injuries.  But they scored 31 last year. Bucs scored 31 this year and sat on the ball at the end. So maybe in the end, Brady was able to carve up the KC defense better than SF last year.  And better than Winston could do with TB receivers. Sure it's not all Brady. People forget that Manziel owes Mike Evans every dollar he ever made.  Godwin is a WR1 on most teams. But it was a mediocre squad overall and Brady took Winston's mediocre squad to a title. 

They also added a 1st rounder to the Oline, Antonio Brown, Gronkowski, Fournette. I don't think they even had to give up anything for those last 3. Brady delivered the ball but he was rarely touched or even had to move tonight. That's critical for an old guy. Look at Brees and his 10 broken ribs.

They are an incredibly balanced team. Depth at all skill positions save QB. LBers are dominant. Dline good. Then the DBs made plays that sealed the deal. That defense harassed the hell out of Rodgers and Mahomes. It also created critical turnovers and got critical stops. A couple of those DBs were new to the team this year too.

It just annoys the heck out of me when many on the team don't get their due respect.

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

They also added a 1st rounder to the Oline, Antonio Brown, Gronkowski, Fournette. I don't think they even had to give up anything for those last 3. Brady delivered the ball but he was rarely touched or even had to move tonight. That's critical for an old guy. Look at Brees and his 10 broken ribs.

They are an incredibly balanced team. Depth at all skill positions save QB. LBers are dominant. Dline good. Then the DBs made plays that sealed the deal. That defense harassed the hell out of Rodgers and Mahomes. It also created critical turnovers and got critical stops. A couple of those DBs were new to the team this year too.

It just annoys the heck out of me when many on the team don't get their due respect.

Of course. Its a team sport.  The game was a healthy KC OL from being a shootout. 

Regardless, Jameis Winston could have this exact same TB team, plus the Brady followers like Gronk, and they dont make the superbowl much less win it.  So while it is a team game, Brady is a difference maker. Is he the only one?  No.  Even in this game, I saw Mahomes make quite a lot of throws on the run while being hit.   And I saw his receivers shit on his efforts. And I saw Brady operate in air conditioned comfort. Could you swap QBs and have Tampa still win?  Absolutely. But I've also seen Brady win titles with New England teams that were spare parts. So while I agree that this TB team is easily in the top quarter of Bradys teams, and everyone on the team deserves their ring, we are also having this discussion about a guy that has enough championship teams to talk about them in quarters, and he put this team over the hump.  At some point, it can't be a coincidence that Brady has lapped everyone else multiple times. The Patriots went 7-9 this year too. Same record as the Bucs last year. They just need a Tom Brady. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Of course. Its a team sport.  The game was a healthy KC OL from being a shootout. 

Regardless, Jameis Winston could have this exact same TB team, plus the Brady followers like Gronk, and they dont make the superbowl much less win it.  So while it is a team game, Brady is a difference maker. Is he the only one?  No.  Even in this game, I saw Mahomes make quite a lot of throws on the run while being hit.   And I saw his receivers shit on his efforts. And I saw Brady operate in air conditioned comfort. Could you swap QBs and have Tampa still win?  Absolutely. But I've also seen Brady win titles with New England teams that were spare parts. So while I agree that this TB team is easily in the top quarter of Bradys teams, and everyone on the team deserves their ring, we are also having this discussion about a guy that has enough championship teams to talk about them in quarters, and he put this team over the hump.  At some point, it can't be a coincidence that Brady has lapped everyone else multiple times. The Patriots went 7-9 this year too. Same record as the Bucs last year. They just need a Tom Brady. 

To add about football being a team sport. 2020 Tom Brady would have won the national title with the underachieving Texas Longhorns.  He would have only managed a few wins with the Kansas Jayhawks, and may have been dead by the end of the season. But there are few other players that can make that type of difference. 

To add about football being a team sport. 2020 Tom Brady would have won the national title with the underachieving Texas Longhorns.  He would have only managed a few wins with the Kansas Jayhawks, and may have been dead by the end of the season. But there are few other players that can make that type of difference. 
He's hurt by game 3 what with the 10 to 15 carries per game from the QB spot.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
18 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

He's hurt by game 3 what with the 10 to 15 carries per game from the QB spot.

Nah. We have 43 year old Brady. He ain't running Herman's plays. The championship will be won in the huddle. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In the pregame discussion when people were asking why the spread was so low for KC, people brought up the KC O-line being total shit.  Yeah, that was the difference in the game for sure.

44 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I find it sad that Taylor Heinicke, a little 4th string for Washington, played with more heart against Brady than all 3 of the QBs mentioned above. 

Yeah...Mahomes wasn't trying...smdh.   He's always been a slacker.

6 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Gronk wouldn't come out of retirement to play for JW.  Brady adds teammates and makes everyone better.

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Did I read somewhere that some crazy, nutcase .... I mean genius bet like 3.5 mil on Tampa?

Not a nutcase - gives a lot of money to people in need in the H-Town area... Congrats on the Bet !!!

e50d9d468eca77a7a329354f7c17cc5b.jpg

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 2