2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Does Ewers still want to come to Texas? If we don’t find a QB who has some moxy in the pocket then we are fucked next year too. 

Yes we need a QB in a bad way…Card may pan out but as of now, stack that QB room this off-season and let the cream rise to the top 

Yes we need a QB in a bad way…Card may pan out but as of now, stack that QB room this off-season and let the cream rise to the top 

I don’t know how you look at our two QBs and say that’s the guy. Go to the Portal and that’s QB1 for next season. There’s no competition or controversy. Card and Thompson have shown everything we need to see.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t know how you look at our two QBs and say that’s the guy. Go to the Portal and that’s QB1 for next season. There’s no competition or controversy. Card and Thompson have shown everything we need to see.

Year 2 may make a difference in competency, but holy cow Card inspires zero confidence in his play.

• Hook 'Em 2

Year 2 may make a difference in competency, but holy cow Card inspires zero confidence in his play.

Card honestly looks like a guy that has never played quarterback against an actual defense. He is trying way too hard to make his reads and it’s making him freeze up. Thompson just isn’t the guy.

3 hours ago, kwood4408 said:

Card honestly looks like a guy that has never played quarterback against an actual defense. He is trying way too hard to make his reads and it’s making him freeze up. Thompson just isn’t the guy.

The more the play the better you get. The way card looked yesterday goes away with playing time. That deer in head lights look, but we do need to go get us another QB. Ewers hasn’t played a snap so who’s to say he won’t come over and look the same way 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I love Burnt Ends. But if you want to pay difference-making players, the TE room isn't necessarily where you're looking. It's fucking brilliant as a concept, because it creates this pool of cash that's agnostic of individual players/performance. "You come here you get paid, regardless."

We need performance focus, too, so guys know they'll get paid for making it happen on the field. For instance, you could become a partial investor in a private company for the specific purpose of funding their sponsorship of a certain elite player. And your wife can wonder why the hell you're getting into that business and roll her eyes when you explain it to her. Theoretically. Hypothetically. In Minecraft.

Look at Leverage Lineup and get together with people you know who have private interests and get it moving.

You aren't going to see much with regards to NIL specific moves on this board. Things are moving, though, even if you don't see it here.

We want more movement, of course, as we should.

But immamac is right about the performance on the field and its impact on donations. We are very lucky, though, because even in our doldrums we are going to be throwing around more NIL cash than 80% of teams even when they're successful. And if we ever get to 10+ win seasons again? It's going to get wild.

Unfortunately, you can't offer an NIL deal based on Performance. I am going to bastardize the language but essentially you get into the pay-for-play (on the field) realm when you start offering performance incentives. It needs to be a flat amount based on some service rendered in their name image or likeness. 

I like your idea of offering some valid business venture partnership but what happens when their play on the field suffers? Do you cut their shares? I don't see how you convince the university this isn't a pay per performance deal. I am genuinely curious though how we can offer better deals to our athletes.

Edited by Noozak
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Unfortunately, you can't offer an NIL deal based on Performance. I am going to bastardize the language but essentially you get into the pay-for-play (on the field) realm when you start offering performance incentives. It needs to be a flat amount based on some service rendered in their name image or likeness. 

Is this kind of like paying for a woman’s time, not the sex?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Noozak said:

I didn't mean it in a pay-for-performance-metrics way, but a pay-someone-alot-once-they've-proven-themselves thing. So Johnny Recruit will see, "Hey, he was making $X in deals to start, but once he popped off a couple games he got a new gig that did $X*2! If I show out there are people watching who will want my face on their taco truck!"

That's how all sports endorsement works. The players prove themselves on the field and then they get hired to do spots.

Edited by bad_teammate

21 minutes ago, Noozak said:

I like your idea of offering some valid business venture partnership but what happens when their play on the field suffers? Do you cut their shares? I don't see how you convince the university this isn't a pay per performance deal. I am genuinely curious though how we can offer better deals to our athletes.

You don't run their commercial on the radio for big orange auto as much when they drop a pass or fumble.

25 minutes ago, Noozak said:

I like your idea of offering some valid business venture partnership but what happens when their play on the field suffers? Do you cut their shares?

You're not making the athlete a partner in the business, you're paying them for their endorsement. YOU, the money guy(s) become the partner in the business who is then paying the athlete for the endorsement. At the end of the contract period, you renegotiate just like anything else.

Bobby has a tire shop. You (solo or as part of an investment venture with other guys) go to Bobby and say, "Hey, we want to invest in your business. We would like to give you $X so that you can grow your business by increasing advertising. For instance, here's a great idea: Pay this football player for the local favorite Texas Longhorns to say your tire shop is the best!"

You sign on as a minor partner in Bobby's Tires and Bobby uses that investment money to hire a new endorser.

Forming an investment company would be a good way to turn a bunch of minor players money-wise into a single bigger player. It helps if people in your group do this kind of crap for a living anyway.

6 hours ago, D3zii said:

The more the play the better you get. The way card looked yesterday goes away with playing time. That deer in head lights look, but we do need to go get us another QB. Ewers hasn’t played a snap so who’s to say he won’t come over and look the same way 

That logic works for other teams. Our team is the exception where players get worse the more they play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

You're not making the athlete a partner in the business, you're paying them for their endorsement. YOU, the money guy(s) become the partner in the business who is then paying the athlete for the endorsement. At the end of the contract period, you renegotiate just like anything else.

Bobby has a tire shop. You (solo or as part of an investment venture with other guys) go to Bobby and say, "Hey, we want to invest in your business. We would like to give you $X so that you can grow your business by increasing advertising. For instance, here's a great idea: Pay this football player for the local favorite Texas Longhorns to say your tire shop is the best!"

You sign on as a minor partner in Bobby's Tires and Bobby uses that investment money to hire a new endorser.

Forming an investment company would be a good way to turn a bunch of minor players money-wise into a single bigger player. It helps if people in your group do this kind of crap for a living anyway.

In your head, are the minority investors also holding a gun to the head of the tire shop owner as they take a stake in his business? Does all of this happen in the course of one episode, or is it like a 3-5 episode arc where this kind of work transpires to get Johnny B. Good his NIL dough and his fixers a stake in the local business community? 

Serious questions for the posters in this thread:

1) Have any of you had a single conversation outside of Surly Burnt Ends with someone running a business, an agency, working with an athlete on NIL, or part of running the AD at Texas or anywhere else about this stuff? 

2) Have any of you ever put together a deal involving an endorsement? An event? Anything.

3) Have any of you ever managed a marketing budget?

I'm not saying you need to have done any of those things, but it would be helpful to understand who actually has any experience on any of this.

I can tell you that I can answer "yes" to every part of all 3 questions. What I can also tell you is that at this moment, Texas is fully incompetent about all facets of this stuff. Like, UT is the guy pissing in the urinal with his pants down around his ankles-level incompetent right now. The football staff will not even speak to anyone about how to direct NIL funds. Not even a vague hint of which players could use some juice, etc. Meanwhile, other programs are actively contacting UT players with offers about transferring. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

In your head, are the minority investors also holding a gun to the head of the tire shop owner as they take a stake in his business? Does all of this happen in the course of one episode, or is it like a 3-5 episode arc where this kind of work transpires to get Johnny B. Good his NIL dough and his fixers a stake in the local business community? 

Very odd hostility about a pretty banal thing that isn't even hard to understand. 

I think people here who have money they want to spend on paying players should find ways to do it. Burnt Ends is a good one. There are other ways to do it.

I'd think you want people to actually make an effort, right? Not sure what your goal is here.

I can tell you that I can answer "yes" to every part of all 3 questions. What I can also tell you is that at this moment, Texas is fully incompetent about all facets of this stuff. Like, UT is the guy pissing in the urinal with his pants down around his ankles-level incompetent right now. The football staff will not even speak to anyone about how to direct NIL funds. Not even a vague hint of which players could use some juice, etc. Meanwhile, other programs are actively contacting UT players with offers about transferring. 

If you're calling UT to have them walk you through the process then it might be a problem, but if all you want to do is hire a player to endorse a business it's pretty straight-forward and, if you've got people doing that legal side who know what they're doing, it can go pretty smoothly.

We need to do it better. We need to do it more. Most of us aren't in a position to sign someone to a $1M kombucha-endorsement contract (I'm certainly not), so we've got to get more creative and work together (again, hat-tip to Burnt Ends).

We, as a fanbase and institution, are new to this. We're learning. This is way outside our comfort zone after decades of not Playing The Game.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Have any of you had a single conversation outside of Surly Burnt Ends with someone running a business, an agency, working with an athlete on NIL, or part of running the AD at Texas or anywhere else about this stuff? 

2) Have any of you ever put together a deal involving an endorsement? An event? Anything.

I'm not saying you need to have done any of those things, but it would be helpful to understand who actually has any experience on any of this.

So we're a failure of a program that is reactive instead of proactive?

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck this entire AD and fuck this staff as well.  We get handed an opportunity to really flex and even the playing field.  Seems like our AD would rather our boosters give money to them than the players and it does not surprise me in the least bit.  I really hope our fanbase starts withholding donations.  I find it hard to support an athletic department that does not care to win and that continuously finds new ways to fail.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Fuck this entire AD and fuck this staff as well.  We get handed an opportunity to really flex and even the playing field.  Seems like our AD would rather our boosters give money to them than the players and it does not surprise me in the least bit.  I really hope our fanbase starts withholding donations.  I find it hard to support an athletic department that does not care to win and that continuously finds new ways to fail.

Didn't CTJ say at one point that he feels the athletic department/longhorn foundation think that NIL will affect their bottom line? That they essentially look at it as a means to take away donations vs a means to improve the football progream?

I don't understand why our AD cares so much about money when the reality is the more successful we are football wise the more money we'd make. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If you're calling UT to have them walk you through the process then it might be a problem

We, as a fanbase and institution, are new to this. We're learning. This is way outside our comfort zone after decades of not Playing The Game.

You should probably bow out of the conversation now. Texas had a head start on getting ready for the NIL stuff - the Leverage program for example was a perfect in-road into getting players and businesses feet wet with the bi-directional relationships that could foster wins for both sides. CDC is a fucking moron and shits down his fucking leg at every hint of something being difficult and anything that isn't gladhanding or drinking and has purposefully distanced himself from even a cursory understanding of how NIL works and how Texas could benefit.  His failure in leadership has led directly to difficulties in generating easy differentiators from other schools. If you talk to the admins at TCU, OU, LSU, aggy -- even SMU and UTSA - they will get you in touch with people that can turn the idea into solution.  This isn't about "playing the game" or the history of it, this is about an administration that is led by a fuckwit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

IMO, it all comes down to objectives that are all over the place. Fans want to win. Some BMDs want to win and others are satisfied with access and amenities. I am sure there are a lot of people within the AD who want to win, others want to make the most money, and still others want to use the money to support our non-revenue generating programs and don't want to see money showered upon football and football players because that wouldn't be "fair." (Plonsky).

It is time for the Athletic Director to decide what our objectives are and get people in alignment. That will also require some level of "taking out the trash." Get on board or get the fuck out.

This bullshit is unacceptable. It would be one thing if we were financing a Baylor-level program, but we are financing an Alabama-level program and getting a Texas Tech-level of success.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't understand why our AD cares so much about money when the reality is the more successful we are football wise the more money we'd make. 

I truly believe that people like Plonsky do not want our football program to succeed at any high level. They want to exploit football because they believe it's fair.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bianco should revoke credentials.....only way to stop it.

Could also shut it down at his source - whoever that may be - assuming it’s on the Texas side. Not that they’re real reporters, but what local news station would sit on a story just because it might be good for the town? 

3 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Could also shut it down at his source - whoever that may be - assuming it’s on the Texas side. Not that they’re real reporters, but what local news station would sit on a story just because it might be good for the town? 

The Tuscaloosa, AL, Clemson, SC, Baton Rouge, LA, and Columbus, OH media.

24 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You should probably bow out of the conversation now.

Yeah it's stupid to talk about real processes that are working right now to put money in players' pockets we should only complain vaguely and with increasing rage about things we have zero control over. lol

UT's admin needs to do a much better job, and as I said, if you're relying on them to guide you in your NIL proceedings it's going to be a bad time. We have to do it ourselves. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Our culture isn't ready for this right now. Don't know why it enrages some of you to hear that when you seem to believe it, too.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Like, UT is the guy pissing in the urinal with his pants down around his ankles-level incompetent right now....

Down to their ankles?! Who the hell does that? Damn troglodytes.  Everyone knows that lowering them just past your butt cheeks, at the urinal, is how you do it with class.  The breeze on my ass as people briskly walk by, rudely staring, feels nice.    

Edited by RollLeft
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I just don't get it. These guys have all been at places that play the game aggressively. They know what's needed and Sark's attempted Drew Hughes hire implies that he wants to participate. Seems like someone up above must be clamping down on it.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)