Latest GOP cancel culture: revisiting the Alamo

Nice Guy Eddie

If you want to say anything that veers away from the John Wayne movie, you're cancelled by the right.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2021-07-01/bullock-museum-cancels-forget-the-alamo-program-under-pressure/

The Bullock museum was hosting a virtual event last night to discuss a book that hits on the myths of the Alamo and Texas Independence. Abbott and Patrick heard about it, and it was cancelled.

I haven't read the book so I may not get all of the facts straight but I gather it discusses that maintaining slavery was a critical reason for Texas fighting for independence. 7th grade Texas history was a long time ago, but I distinctly remember that fact being discussed in class. I can't recall if it was in the textbook or we had a rebel teacher who spoke the truth. I don't think there is any dispute that Mexico was opposed to slavery but Texians wanted the right to have slaves. But politicians want us focusing more on the independence battles than the purpose of independence.

Another controversial subject of the book is around Phil Collins. Some believe that he was taken for a ride in buying all of his Alamo artifacts and much of it is fake. But state officials want to create a museum for Collins' collection and therefore another state museum (Bullock) can't have authors making that claim. Understandably Collins isn't happy with that claim and has threatened to take back his collection.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you want to say anything that veers away from the John Wayne movie, you're cancelled by the right.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2021-07-01/bullock-museum-cancels-forget-the-alamo-program-under-pressure/

The Bullock museum was hosting a virtual event last night to discuss a book that hits on the myths of the Alamo and Texas Independence. Abbott and Patrick heard about it, and it was cancelled.

I haven't read the book so I may not get all of the facts straight but I gather it discusses that maintaining slavery was a critical reason for Texas fighting for independence. 7th grade Texas history was a long time ago, but I distinctly remember that fact being discussed in class. I can't recall if it was in the textbook or we had a rebel teacher who spoke the truth. I don't think there is any dispute that Mexico was opposed to slavery but Texians wanted the right to have slaves. But politicians want us focusing more on the independence battles than the purpose of independence.

I haven’t read the book yet either, but there was some brief discussion of it on another thread recently. Revising the mythical version of the Alamo (and the “Texas Revolution” more generally) so that there’s an understanding that slavery was one of the causes is good; the authors seemed, however, based on an interview with them, to go too far to make their idealogical point, arguing (paraphrasing) that Santa Anna was a good guy who just wanted liberal democracy to flourish if not for these white dudes in Texas (ignoring that multiple other Mexican states were in rebellion against his tyranny).

At any rate, there should be free and open discussion of scholarly ideas without politicians getting involved.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I haven’t read the book yet either, but there was some brief discussion of it on another thread recently. Revising the mythical version of the Alamo (and the “Texas Revolution” more generally) so that there’s an understanding that slavery was one of the causes is good; the authors seemed, however, based on an interview with them, to go too far to make their idealogical point, arguing (paraphrasing) that Santa Anna was a good guy who just wanted liberal democracy to flourish if not for these white dudes in Texas (ignoring that multiple other Mexican states were in rebellion against his tyranny).

At any rate, there should be free and open discussion of scholarly ideas without politicians getting involved.

Unfortunately if an issue discusses white people and their history of repression of others, it's a political issue. I have no doubt that right politicians understand this to be true but they're sick of white people being the villain. Or more likely, they don't want to be called out by white people that are sick of being the villain.

There is no downside in Abbott forcing that talk to be cancelled.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm about to move beyond being embarrassed about this state to despising it. 

Forget the Alamo, which has only been in stores for three weeks, was already in the sights of the right-wingers and Texas jingoists who have fomented hysterics about the fate of the actual San Antonio battle site, and the story told to Texas students about the 1836 siege, for at least two full election cycles now. Earlier this month, Abbott signed House Bill 2497, which creates the "Texas 1836 Project," because, he said, "we must never forget why Texas became so exceptional in the first place." The name echoes the New York Times' 1619 Project, centered on slavery, but intends to rebut it; as 1619 Project creator Nikole Hannah-Jones told the Texas Tribune, "We've been here before."

We must never forget why Texas is so fucking great and different from everywhere else! If the USA leads the world in self-congratulation, then by gawd Texas leads the USA in that regard.

Oddly, Abbott's action is itself a demonstration of what's exceptional about Texas now. Fucking idiots who choose corrupt power grabbers and shout yahoo when they do it.

Our state song pretty much lines out our stand on humility and circumspection:

The state song is "Texas, Our Texas" by William J. Marsh and Gladys Yoakum Wright. The lyrics are:

Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty State!
Texas, our Texas! So wonderful so great!
Boldest and grandest, Withstanding ev'ry test;
O Empire wide and glorious, You stand supremely blest.

[Refrain] God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, Thro'out the ages long.

Texas, O Texas! Your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far.
Emblem of freedom! It sets our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.

[Refrain]

Texas, dear Texas! From tyrant grip now free,
Shines forth in splendor your star of destiny!
Mother of heroes! We come your children true,
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

My dad was born in Port Arthur and worked the refineries before enlisting in the Army Air Corps then going to college. He'd see a "Native Texan" bumper sticker and shake his head.

Imagine somebody putting that on their car. What kind of achievement is that?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Unfortunately if an issue discusses white people and their history of repression of others, it's a political issue. I have no doubt that right politicians understand this to be true but they're sick of white people being the villain. Or more likely, they don't want to be called out by white people that are sick of being the villain.

Like I said in the other thread, I don't get why there's this fuss over slavery as a huge issue...It's the way I was taught decades ago and even Armybrat says it was the way he learned it in the 1850s. And we've long known Crockett did not die swinging his rifle around, nor did Bowie take 12 Mexicans to the grave with him from his deathbed. It never would have occurred to me to bother writing a book like that because I thought any of us who are willing to believe the truth about the battle and the revolution already did. And I guess that's still the case. 

• Hook 'Em 3

As a Dem voter, obviously nothing would thrill me more than the Alamo being turned into a La Raza recruitment center.

Without fear-mongering the right would be dead in the water. Maybe even have to focus on finding solutions to the pressing problems of our time rather than stoking the hate machine.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd only amend your fine post to say white men. We did a pretty good job of keeping white women down along with everyone else. We turned police with batons loose on them just for wanting to vote. A byproduct of white women being close to white men is that many, sadly, went full Stockholm syndrome and became Karens.

I'm white. I'm open minded. I've learned that there are things I just don't see regarding the subtle or grotesque ways the world is different for persons unlike me. I'm not malicious. I don't want to see people subjugated. Still, BLM and Me Too proved that there are things going on all the time that I do not perceive. 

What else am I missing?

I'll be (even more) tiresome and repeat that if it were possible, I'd remove white men from all positions of power for at least ten years. I'll quote fellow white man Henry Rollins yet again, white man rule has been "a poorly run carnage fest" for a long, long time.

"Yeah, well what about this bad black woman, or that murderous white woman, or that corrupt person of color?"

Something bad doesn't have to stay in place until something perfect is found to replace it. I truly believe things would be better if the white man ruling class were replaced. Today. For at least a decade.

This pathetic story about blocking a discussion of history that considers events beyond popular fable is what you get when a class of people want to tell you their footsteps are red with wholesome ketchup instead of blood. 

I pledge to not vote for any white man where there is viable woman or person of color on the ballot.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Disco Strangler said:

Phil Collins got taken for a ride by some shady artifact dealers.  Basically, documents are probably real, but physical objects were likely fake.

He should retain a lawyer and sue, sue, sudio. 

Oh man there is a huge black market of forged documents too. I have a cousin who got caught up in it decades ago and wrote a book about it. That whole deal culminated in one of the forgers found dead in a creek, shot in the head. Probably suicide but maybe not...

Some of the documents may be legit but could quite possibly be stolen. Back in the '50s and '60s, when this market started taking off, a few dudes were just fanning out across Texas, going to the reference room in public libraries, and just swiping hyper-rare and valuable documents. But before selling the originals, somebody would forge plenty more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My dad was born in Port Arthur and worked the refineries before enlisting in the Army Air Corps then going to college. He'd see a "Native Texan" bumper sticker and shake his head.

Maybe they could see into the future and just really like the beer?

32 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Phil Collins got taken for a ride by some shady artifact dealers.  Basically, documents are probably real, but physical objects were likely fake.

He should retain a lawyer and sue, sue, sudio. 

There must be some misunderstanding.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The story of the Alamo and Texas independence is like damned near everything else: it's complicated.

It ain't all noble freedom bullshit.  But....it's also not all "we fought Mexico so we could be racist against mexicans and keep slavery."

90% of the human beings of good and decent character of a certain time.....were also racist.  Because that was THE conventional wisdom (as just one example of a belief we find loathsome today that wasn't the case 150+ years ago).  People are.....complicated.

I am a son of Texas.  I have family members with historical markers on their graves.  And even their history in the Texas borderlands is....complicated.  History has few angels, and few devils.  Instead, it's full of people, in shades of gray.

The conservative reflexive pushback against ANY discussion that doesn't start with "America/Texas is the awesomest bestest and there ain't no place awesomer bester!" is pathetic and sad.

This.  And we really need to stop judging people who lived centuries ago by today's moral standards.  Truth is, EVERYONE in the world does good and bad things.  People are complicated.  Teach the facts, and leave the interpretations and opinions OUT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  And we really need to stop judging people who lived centuries ago by today's moral standards.  Truth is, EVERYONE in the world does good and bad things.  People are complicated.  Teach the facts, and leave the interpretations and opinions OUT.

[Anastasis] BOTH SIDES. [/Anastasis]

But....yes.  Thomas Jefferson is a great example.   There's a lot to put in the "admirable" column about TJ.  He was a helluva thinker, a writer, and incredibly well-read and thoughtful. He also carried on a lifelong affair with a subservient piece of property who could not meaningfully consent/not consent to his sexual advances.  Which, by the way....was a cultural norm of the time.  A repugnant, awful social norm....but a norm nonetheless.

It is true that he was boning Sally Hemmings, who was not his wife, and was his property.  And it is true that as a slave, she had no legal right or ability to consent or not consent.  There is reason to believe that it WAS consensual.  But based on her status, could it ever be truly consensual?  All a discussion about actual facts that should be had.  That doesn't mean we're "cancelling" Thomas Jefferson.  Rather, it means that we're looking at the whole man, and the whole story.

You know, THE TRUTH.

• Hook 'Em 7

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But....yes.  Thomas Jefferson is a great example.   There's a lot to put in the "admirable" column about TJ.  He was a helluva thinker, a writer, and incredibly well-read and thoughtful. He also carried on a lifelong affair with a subservient piece of property who could not meaningfully consent/not consent to his sexual advances.  Which, by the way....was a cultural norm of the time.  A repugnant, awful social norm....but a norm nonetheless.

It is true that he was boning Sally Hemmings, who was not his wife, and was his property.  And it is true that as a slave, she had no legal right or ability to consent or not consent.  There is reason to believe that it WAS consensual.  But based on her status, could it ever be truly consensual?  All a discussion about actual facts that should be had.  That doesn't mean we're "cancelling" Thomas Jefferson.  Rather, it means that we're looking at the whole man, and the whole story.

You know, THE TRUTH.

Exactly.  I would much rather know the whole truth, even the ugly sides, than some Disneyfied version of history.  The details are fucking fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I thought it was understood that the story of the Alamo is largely propagandized bullshit that we're just okay playing along with?

You really have to be a complete rube to not realize that the story of the Alamo is largely mythology...which makes it a perfect topic for the GQP.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

the authors reached out to Phil Collins for his thoughts on the matter, but there was no reply at all.

It would be great to understand the genesis of his theories.  Thankfully, Collins does not take a sledgehammer approach to dealing with his critics.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

John Wayne/Davy Crockett was a fag.

It's true you boys.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Well, The Duke did walk sorta funny.  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And his name was Marion…

B3-ES654_PHILST_1000V_20190813104943.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You know, THE TRUTH.

And Al Gore actually flies on jet airplanes!

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm about to move beyond being embarrassed about this state to despising it. 

We must never forget why Texas is so fucking great and different from everywhere else! If the USA leads the world in self-congratulation, then by gawd Texas leads the USA in that regard.

Oddly, Abbott's action is itself a demonstration of what's exceptional about Texas now. Fucking idiots who choose corrupt power grabbers and shout yahoo when they do it.

Our state song pretty much lines out our stand on humility and circumspection:

People put Darwin fish on their cars. Get over it.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Several years ago, there was a study done that found that Americans ranked at or near dead last in the industrial world in math, but ranked #1 in confidence in math skills. We're a walking, talking, breathing example of the Dunning Kruger Effect.

12 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

People put Darwin fish on their cars. 

I'm certain you feel you've explained everything.

• Hook 'Em 3