Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

No. The fact that it cannot be done is exactly my point. You cannot control the environment. Race can certainly be a contributing factor. So can age, weight, gender, mannerisms of attendees, neighborhood, attitude of tenants, noise level, time of day/day of week, capacity, economic status, etc. No pun intended, but it’s not so black and white. Bitchy neighbor is gonna bitch and trespassing is against the law.

The fact that race can be a contributing factor is the entire fucking point. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Control for everything else, and a random citizen is more likely to call the cops on a black person doing act X than they would a white person. Anyone who has observed our society for more than 15 minutes has figured that out.

And we absolutely COULD perform the study I suggested; it would just be unethical and likely illegal, so it won’t happen. But if it is as performed, and all other factors were controlled for, you have to bet everything you own on the outcome, would you bet on 1) black guy MORE likely to get the cops called on him, or 2) black guy LESS likely to get the cops called on him? Come on, dump the juvenile sophistry, and acknowledge the simple truth.

6 minutes ago, FWD said:

If you look at my post, there is one of many studies in it where they controlled for things like education and credit score. Please go back and read the study before commenting.

Glanced at it. There are a few flaws:

1. They use the graph method of reporting. White names received a 50% higher callback rate than Black names for the unknown positions applied for. Buried in there is that White names get a callback for every 10 resumes while Black names get a callback for every 15 names. They assert that this is statistically important when in fact it’s not considering the % of job seekers for each race in our population.

2. The study is from 2003 conducted in Chicago, a town with a huge black population and Boston, a town that’s pretty lily white and known for their segregated culture. Further, this is 2 years after 9/11 which tightened the job market in the following years. (As noted, the study was conducted between July 2001 - May 2002) Had there been a study in Muslim applicants during that time period, I’m certain that the data would be skewed from today’s job market as well. Also, posting the exact names used would lead more credence to the process instead of giving a few selected examples, given the circumstances.

3. There is no mention on whether or not multiple resumes were sent to the same firm/company or were accepted by the same HR representative. If someone with a bias accounts for 1/2 of the resumes, then the stats are skewed. It also only states that resumes are “high quality” or “low quality” with clarifying that the resumes matched the job description. There is a distinct possibility that resumes were either over/under qualified for the position applied for. (I.E. Degree obtained, college where said degree came from, salary requirements, etc.) For example, a Texas grad may be more inclined to offer an interview to a fellow Texas grad than a higher resume quality ou grad.

4. The credit test is BS, quite frankly. Banks have strict mechanisms to verify employment, credit scores, and other info for applicants. Employers may or may not do a thorough background check on a fictitious resume, depending on the nature of the job.

5. While I couldn’t suggest a better methodology, the entire paper is an assumption that names played the determine role for success or failure. Unless there was a follow-up on why resumes/applications were accepted/rejected, which isn’t mentioned in the paper, it’s merely speculation. That’s not to say that the names did not play a role in any of the determinations, however. But the conclusions are based on conjecture.

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The fact that race can be a contributing factor is the entire fucking point. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Control for everything else, and a random citizen is more likely to call the cops on a black person doing act X than they would a white person. Anyone who has observed our society for more than 15 minutes has figured that out.

And we absolutely COULD perform the study I suggested; it would just be unethical and likely illegal, so it won’t happen. But if it is as performed, and all other factors were controlled for, you have to bet everything you own on the outcome, would you bet on 1) black guy MORE likely to get the cops called on him, or 2) black guy LESS likely to get the cops called on him? Come on, dump the juvenile sophistry, and acknowledge the simple truth.

Your truth or my truth Brisket? 

19 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

You’re arguing with someone whose company had to threaten to fire him to get him to stop clicking links in phishing emails.

that's only because the emails came from senders with white-sounding names.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Glanced at it. There are a few flaws:

1. They use the graph method of reporting. White names received a 50% higher callback rate than Black names for the unknown positions applied for. Buried in there is that White names get a callback for every 10 resumes while Black names get a callback for every 15 names. They assert that this is statistically important when in fact it’s not considering the % of job seekers for each race in our population.

2. The study is from 2003 conducted in Chicago, a town with a huge black population and Boston, a town that’s pretty lily white and known for their segregated culture. Further, this is 2 years after 9/11 which tightened the job market in the following years. (As noted, the study was conducted between July 2001 - May 2002) Had there been a study in Muslim applicants during that time period, I’m certain that the data would be skewed from today’s job market as well. Also, posting the exact names used would lead more credence to the process instead of giving a few selected examples, given the circumstances.

3. There is no mention on whether or not multiple resumes were sent to the same firm/company or were accepted by the same HR representative. If someone with a bias accounts for 1/2 of the resumes, then the stats are skewed. It also only states that resumes are “high quality” or “low quality” with clarifying that the resumes matched the job description. There is a distinct possibility that resumes were either over/under qualified for the position applied for. (I.E. Degree obtained, college where said degree came from, salary requirements, etc.) For example, a Texas grad may be more inclined to offer an interview to a fellow Texas grad than a higher resume quality ou grad.

4. The credit test is BS, quite frankly. Banks have strict mechanisms to verify employment, credit scores, and other info for applicants. Employers may or may not do a thorough background check on a fictitious resume, depending on the nature of the job.

5. While I couldn’t suggest a better methodology, the entire paper is an assumption that names played the determine role for success or failure. Unless there was a follow-up on why resumes/applications were accepted/rejected, which isn’t mentioned in the paper, it’s merely speculation. That’s not to say that the names did not play a role in any of the determinations, however. But the conclusions are based on conjecture.

1) The result is very highly statistically significant. They go into great length showing this.

2) They do post the full list of names. Again, a quick read would tell you this information. Boston and Chicago are both major U.S. cities, if you weren't aware. The fact that institutional racism is present in them is therefore obvious important and meaningful. This study has been replicated many times since then in other settings as well. Besides, you claim that the fact that discrimination against blacks isn't important because it is in a city with a high black population, but that is totally backwards.

3) They sent these to all the job ads posted in the local newspapers, thats a pretty reasonable set of firms, and a very large one as well.

4-5) And the conclusions are not based on conjecture, literally the only thing different between the two resumes is the name. Everything else is controlled for. This is therefore a perfect controlled experiment to see if the name is the thing causing discrimination. And since the names are carefully chosen based on racial representation, these studies provide incontrovertible evidence of widespread racial discrimination.

lolz

"Would you say that racism is why you called the white sounding name applicant and not the black sounding name applicant?"

"No, definitely not."

"Okay, I'll mark you down as not racist!"

"Thanks Mr. Spankytoes!"

Gee, you definitely don't seem like you're looking for any possible way to claim it's not racism. Definitely being objective and not dumb.

12 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I guess it’s a time for a new opportunistic crop of Jesse And Al’s to make a career. Times are ripe for an associate professor at Howard to answer the bat call. The hero we need; not the one we want.

I heard on the radio of someone being fired for pushing an issue of someone wearing dirty socks in a public pool. They cried Race Card. But, come on. Any poor person trying to wear dirty socks in a public pool is going to be confronted and escalated upon regardless of color, but hey, it’s the climate of the times. Just avoid any confrontation with anyone of color until calling out the race card becomes a parody of itself again.

Says the guy who authored this post:

A water park at that age is a beating. They stay in the kid zone area and time just crawls. You’ll want to leave after 15 mins and time will just slowly pass as you play with your kid in 2 feet of piss water with a bunch of minorities (I’ve just noticed doesn’t matter what city you are in except for Great Wolf Lodge, the minorities love the water park. Whether it be Muslims in long swim pants and a swim cap hajib or Mexicans with a weeks worth of consumer packaged goods and $100 Worth of frito lays product, I guess they don’t have a community pool in their developments?)

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/2993-things-to-do-with-my-4-yo-son-july-16th/&tab=comments#comment-280561

• Like 3

As the VP of my small HOA, I don’t like this trend. As an aside, you should be able to call the cops on any color of person for breaking the law. Where it’s not a legal matter, you should be able to call out an individual where rules are broken regardless of their color.

The race card is back in play after being sidelined for a while. Truly everything is cyclical and the pendulum has swung back to legitimizing petty grievances by appealing to race with the race card. 

White people absolutely can call the cops on black people for committing crimes. It happens hundreds of times a day without issue. This thread is about calls for things that are not crimes or even problems. That happens disproportionally to black people. I don’t need a double blind peer review etc. to know it’s true. The worst part to me is that they call 911 and not the non emergency line. Do they really feel immediately threatened by black peoples at a bbq, or selling water without a permit, or wearing socks in a pool? What stupid reasons to call 911. They should be punished for wasting emergency responder time.

• Like 3

As the VP of my small HOA, I don’t like this trend. As an aside, you should be able to call the cops on any color of person for breaking the law. Where it’s not a legal matter, you should be able to call out an individual where rules are broken regardless of their color.

The race card is back in play after being sidelined for a while. Truly everything is cyclical and the pendulum has swung back to legitimizing petty grievances by appealing to race with the race card. 

Vehemently disagree. The race card is not in play. The examples in this thread don't need the race card.

I do not like the use of the race card for every day asshole interactions. But obvious racist nonsense needs to be called out.

I will call the cops for shady behavior, regardless of color. And you should too. But what is shady about bbq'ing in a park(which was legal), selling water, and door to door campaigning?

On 7/7/2018 at 7:54 PM, Deej said:

I hate my Mexican neighbor's music, not because they are Mexican, but because it goes until 4 in the morning and sucks. I'm white, so I guess that makes me a racist.

It doesn't make you a racist. It makes you a pussy for not going over to you neighbor's house to ask them to turn down their music at 4am.

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It doesn't make you a racist. It makes you a pussy for not going over to you neighbor's house to ask them to turn down their music at 4am.

I never said I don't go over and tell them to turn it down. I've had more conversations with them than I can count. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen the next night. 

On 7/8/2018 at 12:17 AM, Pancho Negro said:

Okay. 

Not sure what your point is here, but props?

Because it's being played loud enough to keep them awake at 4am?   I don't care what kind of music is playing, you wake me up at 4am with that crap and you're going to be in the market for a new music machine.

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Vehemently disagree. The race card is not in play. The examples in this thread don't need the race card.

I do not like the use of the race card for every day asshole interactions. But obvious racist nonsense needs to be called out.

I will call the cops for shady behavior, regardless of color. And you should too. But what is shady about bbq'ing in a park(which was legal), selling water, and door to door campaigning?

Using liquid  smoke in that BBQ would be grounds for calling the cops. Just sayin'

On 7/8/2018 at 11:34 PM, Huckleberry said:

lolz

"Would you say that racism is why you called the white sounding name applicant and not the black sounding name applicant?"

"No, definitely not."

"Okay, I'll mark you down as not racist!"

"Thanks Mr. Spankytoes!"

Gee, you definitely don't seem like you're looking for any possible way to claim it's not racism. Definitely being objective and not dumb.

I didn’t claim that. I acknowledged as much in the portion of my post that you quoted: That’s not to say that the names did not play a role in any of the determinations, however.” 

Racism could have very well played a role in the equation. My issue is with the study itself. It neglects to clearly confirm a lot of controls and factors that could skew the stats in either direction. (Not to mention it’s 15 years old and we’ve had 2 Presidents since it was conducted) I think it’s about as best as we could do to run a test on the theory. But there are too many variables that could affect the outcome regarding qualifications/over qualifications for unknown positions and the other reasons I stated previously. Having said that, I appreciate a logical and formative argument being posted as a response. It’s difficult to get that here.

The frustrating thing about this argument, and the issue at whole, is that it’s being treated as concrete. I’ve acknowledged many, many times that racism exists, it’s unfair, it’s evil, it’s wrong and it certainly applies in several interactions, whether that be with the police, a citizen or and employer. However, the counterarguments fail to admit that there are many times where racism may be misapplied. It’s a reverse racism stance. Because some situations are rooted in racism, the default for all white/black interactions where the black person was allegedly wronged is racist because the burden of proof is on the offending white person. (I.E. Black Lives Matter’s viewpoint) That’s simply not true. Maybe the lady that called the cops on the black child selling water is a racist piece of shit. But maybe she’s just a piece of shit, and the child happened to be black. I don’t think that’s out of the realm of possibility. It just doesn’t generate nearly the amount of web clicks on the story to be objective because we all acknowledge that racism still exists. Call it racist, trolling, words from a dumbass...whatever makes people feel better. As I’ve responded to Pancho, I’m on team “Fuck those putos” on this issue. But I think that these type of things do more harm than good. If people feel that they are going to be labeled a racist no matter what, they tend to go the other direction. The PC culture defeats itself, which has been emboldened by Trump’s conduct. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Washpark said:

In what way? Because an Asian American student claimed it? Couldn’t you make the argument that white students are getting the brunt of the discrimination? There are qualified students being denied the college of their choice due to racial quotas that need to be maintained to ensure minority students get a fair share of space at a University that has X amount of spots. (Yet, they still have to fund said public schools through taxes) Is that not the same thing as black people not getting employed due to their name even though they are qualified for the job? Besides the fact that no one is going to feel sorry for the privileged white people, explain the difference.

You are also suggesting the those decisions are controlled strictly by white people, which is not true.

He is saying racism is highly institutionalized and there is excellent data to support it.

Advantages by Race and Class on the SAT and ACT at Selective Colleges, Fall 1997

Group Public Institutions
(on ACT scale of 36)
Private Institutions
(on SAT scale of 1600)
Race    
--White -- --
--Black +3.8 +310
--Hispanic +0.3 +130
--Asian -3.4 -140
Class    
--Lower -0.1 +130
--Working +0.0 +70
--Middle -- --
--Upper-Middle +0.3 +50
--Upper +0.4 -30

Colleges, for example, are highly biased in favor of blacks. All major corporations have similar programs to try and raise the level of certain minorities in the higher ranks of their companies.

13 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

He is saying racism is highly institutionalized and there is excellent data to support it.

Advantages by Race and Class on the SAT and ACT at Selective Colleges, Fall 1997

Group Public Institutions
(on ACT scale of 36)
Private Institutions
(on SAT scale of 1600)
Race    
--White -- --
--Black +3.8 +310
--Hispanic +0.3 +130
--Asian -3.4 -140
Class    
--Lower -0.1 +130
--Working +0.0 +70
--Middle -- --
--Upper-Middle +0.3 +50
--Upper +0.4 -30

Colleges, for example, are highly biased in favor of blacks. All major corporations have similar programs to try and raise the level of certain minorities in the higher ranks of their companies.

As they say, "statistics lie and liars quote statistics."  Those numbers taken out of context don't really tell us anything other than that you're ignorant regarding how university admissions are processed.  Those numbers are for universities as a whole.  But virtually every university processes applications by school or major.  So you have very different grade and test score averages for admitted students depending on their school or major.  Engineering, for example, has much higher average GPAs and test scores than Psychology/liberal arts because of a higher demand for limited spots.  Applicants essentially create a funneling effect by trying to gain admission to higher demand majors which then increases the average numbers for those who are admitted.  If you have an ethnic group that has a cultural propensity to apply to certain majors, like Asians pursuing degrees in STEM fields, they will naturally increase the average GPA/test score of those who are admitted from that ethnic group.  The higher average scores are a result of self selection towards higher demand majors, not racial preferences.  

Edited by Longhornfan1024

13 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

In what way? Because an Asian American student claimed it? Couldn’t you make the argument that white students are getting the brunt of the discrimination? There are qualified students being denied the college of their choice due to racial quotas that need to be maintained to ensure minority students get a fair share of space at a University that has X amount of spots. (Yet, they still have to fund said public schools through taxes) Is that not the same thing as black people not getting employed due to their name even though they are qualified for the job? Besides the fact that no one is going to feel sorry for the privileged white people, explain the difference.

You are also suggesting the those decisions are controlled strictly by white people, which is not true.

You asked for an example of institutional racism. I provided an example. Sorry, it does not fit into your white/black/hispanic paradigm of racism

47 minutes ago, Washpark said:

You asked for an example of institutional racism. I provided an example. Sorry, it does not fit into your white/black/hispanic paradigm of racism

It doesn’t fit my assertion that society doesn’t have institutional racism, but it’s an article. A University is also known as an “institution”.  I’ll give you that.

Edited by Spankytoes

Has anyone else mentioned to their woman that... not that they would, but definitely don't call the police on people who are just annoying you, especially if they're black?

I keep waiting for one of these things to happen and the husband to come forward and say "Hey, this isn't racism - she frivolously calls the cops on people who bother her of all colors, without discrimination."

Has anyone else mentioned to their woman that... not that they would, but definitely don't call the police on people who are just annoying you, especially if they're black?
I keep waiting for one of these things to happen and the husband to come forward and say "Hey, this isn't racism - she frivolously calls the cops on people who bother her of all colors, without discrimination."

I’m pretty sure most of these people are not annoyed by mundane things white people do.

64baf47063369b8a8966ecef292bf5ab.jpg

On 7/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, Dahobbs said:

Things have been improving, but we aren't there yet. You see a stat showing that a higher percentage of blacks are imprisoned in this country than any other race and your thought is: but blacks commit more crimes. The fact that you don't see a problem with that is disturbing to me. The fact that you don't see a connection between poverty and crime, and poverty and 200 years of our country actively attempting to oppress blacks is even more disturbing. 

It seems to me that you are reacting to those that see racism in every interaction. Yes, there are people that overreact to any perceived slight. Just as you overreact to what your perceive as slight: white people being called racist. But, and this is absolutely true, racism does in fact exist. And, it is more pervasive than you think. Not all of it is transparent, in fact much of it is hidden or subconscious.

For instance, I know I am slightly less comfortable around a large number of black folks or when passing by a group at night. I dislike these feelings and actively try and stop them, but they are ingrained to a large extent. I suspect movies and shows like Cops are at least part of the cause. My point being, I have never had a negative interaction (to contrary my best childhood friend was black), and yet I still have these feelings. That strongly suggests to me that our society subtly reinforces negative perceptions. That to me is institutionalized racism. It isn't intentional. But it is pervasive and influential. Maybe you are immune, but given your posts in this thread I suspect you are simply unaware of the cumulative effect it has had on you. 

Good post.  However, some degree of racism is innate and it requires higher-order thinking to avoid.  I'm not sure some of the behavior you refer to as societally reinforced (shying away from a group in a bad neighborhood at night) isn't just innate and harder to engage higher-order thinking on, which perhaps is a distinction without a difference.  But, generally speaking, people fear and distrust "other" out of the natural instinct for safety and self-preservation.  Society didn't create that, but it may not be doing enough to dispel it. 

Institutionalized racism, to me, means something that's "built in" to the institutions of society.  The criminal justice system seems to be the most glaring example of this.  But again. the politics of crime in this country are based on FEAR and not higher-order thinking.  I don't actually believe that anyone set out, with the crack sentencing guidelines, for example, to imprison blacks at a higher rate than whites.  However, they were fearful, and most of all stupid, and everyone on the law side of the criminal justice system is either afraid (jurors, judges) or preying on that fear (prosecutors, lawmakers), for their own political or other reason.  And there's a healthy dose of individual racism and of stupidity in individuals in the system.

Similarly, much of the behavior documented on this thread is merely fearful and stupid, some of it is mean and the product of conscious racism, but it is individual behavior.  To fix it, those people are going to have to engage in some rational thinking about what they are doing and why, which can be a tall order in a lot of cases.  I think one sure way to fix it is to get fearful and stupid people in close proximity to the "other" in non-threatening circumstances.  The surest way to cure a prejudice is to have a friend or close acquaintance that is "other."  The rest of it is just talk.

Edited by TwiceHorn

52 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good post.  However, some degree of racism is innate and it requires higher-order thinking to avoid.  I'm not sure some of the behavior you refer to as societally reinforced (shying away from a group in a bad neighborhood at night) isn't just innate and harder to engage higher-order thinking on, which perhaps is a distinction without a difference.  But, generally speaking, people fear and distrust "other" out of the natural instinct for safety and self-preservation.  Society didn't create that, but it may not be doing enough to dispel it. 

Institutionalized racism, to me, means something that's "built in" to the institutions of society.  The criminal justice system seems to be the most glaring example of this.  But again. the politics of crime in this country are based on FEAR and not higher-order thinking.  I don't actually believe that anyone set out, with the crack sentencing guidelines, for example, to imprison blacks at a higher rate than whites.  However, they were fearful, and most of all stupid, and everyone on the law side of the criminal justice system is either afraid (jurors, judges) or preying on that fear (prosecutors, lawmakers), for their own political or other reason.  And there's a healthy dose of individual racism and of stupidity in individuals in the system.

Similarly, much of the behavior documented on this thread is merely fearful and stupid, some of it is mean and the product of conscious racism, but it is individual behavior.  To fix it, those people are going to have to engage in some rational thinking about what they are doing and why, which can be a tall order in a lot of cases.  I think one sure way to fix it is to get fearful and stupid people in close proximity to the "other" in non-threatening circumstances.  The surest way to cure a prejudice is to have a friend or close acquaintance that is "other."  The rest of it is just talk.

I think your post is in general agreement with mine, we just use different terms. I say subconscious, you say say "fear." The only real difference I see is that I don't think it is fair to say that FEAR of black people is innate. Fear of "other" groups, yes, but your brain has to first identify what group is the "other." And to does so through pattern recognition. I don't have the same reaction to every group of people or even every group of people that looks different than me (and I'm a mutt). Something has conditioned my brain to place some groups in the danger category and others not, and I personally attribute it to society at large.

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I think your post is in general agreement with mine, we just use different terms. I say subconscious, you say say "fear." The only real difference I see is that I don't think it is fair to say that FEAR of black people is innate. Fear of "other" groups, yes, but your brain has to first identify what group is the "other." And to does so through pattern recognition. I don't have the same reaction to every group of people or even every group of people that looks different than me (and I'm a mutt). Something has conditioned my brain to place some groups in the danger category and others not, and I personally attribute it to society at large.

Yeah, apropos of basically nothing, I think the terms "institutional" and possibly "structural" racism get misused, at least by their connotation.  As coined terms I guess they can mean anything.

And the societal thing I think goes back to slavery.  It's really hard to overcome the impressions made when a group of people are forced to live as subhumans or inferiors.  A whole lot of white countries that engaged in slavery never had to integrate that specter into their society because the slavery happened far away or on a tiny scale domestically.  Even if there hadn't been Jim Crow and related subjugations, that's a hell of a thing to get past.

It is, in any event, a low-down shame that black folks have to endure this type of bullshit on a near daily basis.