Jump to content

Beat the drum slowly; play the fife lowly


DonkeyCigars
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The people have spoken and, in attempt to be true to form and in death honor the way I posted while among you, I will vow to not create a sock and insult everyone’s intelligence and pretend to not be myself (and spoiler alert; I’m not and never have been anyone else despite people’s weird assumptions I.e, Tahoe or Chrispy etc.).

image_400x400.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, that's too bad. i for one did not find your schtick overly offensive and sometimes even appreciated your viewpoint, but there are definitely posters with greater fire in their belly that you frequently enraged. guess you FAFO finally.  

for the record, you are the reason i have suggested a rep-neutral eyeroll🙄 reaction. i don't think i ever found you worthy of an actual neg but your Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer schtick could often make my eyes roll out of my head lol.

image.png.259975ab80975a3483322d814de4b1d2.png

  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Well, don't say I never came by for a visit. 

Maybe some gratuitous jailhouse blues will help your cause.

 

A sidenote that's probably entirely appropriate for this thread.  Ford v. Ferrari reminded me/gave me a renewed appreciation for the greatness of Ray McKinnon as a supporting actor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think too many people are aware that two decades ago Ray M. won an Academy Award as a director for a short he both directed and starred in. Quite talented on many fronts and for the Coen brothers, they knew what they were doing as Ray is a true son of the south from Georgia.

Back to a song also appropriate for the late self proclaimed old man Donkey, but also a really really good backstory to the man who was best known for singing it.

Read up on Paul Robeson, who was not a southerner by birth and his interesting life story. Rutgers, Columbia Law, an avowed antifascist, a target by the Germans during his time in Great Britain, and an activist. An imperfect man for imperfect times, just the type of person seekers of knowledge should learn more about during time spent in thoughtful reflection.

Here is a short wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Robeson 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well, that's too bad. i for one did not find your schtick overly offensive and sometimes even appreciated your viewpoint, but there are definitely posters with greater fire in their belly that you frequently enraged. guess you FAFO finally.  

for the record, you are the reason i have suggested a rep-neutral eyeroll🙄 reaction. i don't think i ever found you worthy of an actual neg but your Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer schtick could often make my eyes roll out of my head lol.

image.png.259975ab80975a3483322d814de4b1d2.png

I always appreciated your point of view and I find your feedback here very fair-- I know I'm a bit (maybe a lot bit) backwards in a lot of ways and I was definitely not shy about those positions.

Obviously my opinions were in the minority for this community. Even the extreme minority, I would say. You might ask yourself, "why would someone who disagrees with 98% of the community in the CR actually want to engage and stick around and comment and discuss?"

Well, firstly representation matters (and speaking of representation, it is relative. Despite being a slight majority in the state of Texas, a lot of my opinions were extreme minority on this website and if we really hold true that minority representation matters, to all minority vs majority dynamics, this alone is a valid reason to stick around).

But more importantly and the lion share of the reasoning is that I enjoyed the discussions and conversations with a lot of people I vehemently disagreed with. I haven't been shy in saying that a guy I initially couldn't stand, @bad_teammate, became probably my favorite poster on this entire website. Something about a consistent, fervent point of view held with the integrity that didn't care for fair-weather fans and rep wore me down, I guess. Probably helped he is hilarious, but I learned a lot from that guy and softened in a lot of ways from the consistent challenges. Dozens of others who are obviously super intelligent I appreciated, even as they did not like me:

@Mole, @wildcat09, @F250, @BrickHorn, @longhornmatt@jimmyjazz@bad_teammate@Mrs Whiggins@Ghost of LL@mchookem@Celery Man@TwiceHorn: You guys are all "appointment TV" in that when you weigh in, whether in parody/jest or with serious intent, we all stop (at least, I did) and read what you have to say because your intelligence served you to be able to ingest, synthesize and respond in meaningful ways that grew or was value-add to the discussions. Even @Js1 who I could not stand, and didn't want to ever respect, well...I grew to respect his mind and takes on all topics. I'm reminded of the Aristotle quote, "The mark of an intelligent mind is to be able to entertain an idea without having to accept it".

But yes, to your point: I also was not always as...diplomatic, let's call it... to a subset of folks who I disagreed with that I felt to be inferior and were limited in their capabilities and aptitude by virtue of not being able to control their emotions and impulses and either were one-hit wonders or zealots without critical thinking skills (which is irony, because they are that which they most hate). Looking back, my disdain for this people does feel a bit narcissistic and ego-driven-- we should love everyone and meet them (the whole person) where they are at. It's okay to not be okay, etc.

And then there was the posse that got me. Hats off to you guys; @DDD Dad @elfenix@Bullneck@cactusflinthead@Beau Vine @JimmyJames and a couple of your socks (usernames that would only neg, usually right after you, but never post). Good organization and execution. You not only showed me, but I think it's an example to all, that a few minor and sensitive posters can band together and eject a consistently dissenting voice (and probably one that, to you all, was often dismissive and rude due to a lack of respect, so I completely get it and empathize with you--I'd probably be tempted to do the same). 

I really want to own this, though. I don't know if it's because I'm super coachable or because I feel like this helps to continue to own my own narrative-- to continue having agency on my own terms-- but I am serious when I say that this handle, DonkeyCigars, is not going anywhere and there will be no re-incarnation. When I post it will be here. I want to be like Martha Stewart and keep it ten does down and eat this prison sentence like the true baddie that I am: for I am a young cowboy, and I know I've done wrong.

  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't think too many people are aware that two decades ago Ray M. won an Academy Award as a director for a short he both directed and starred in. Quite talented on many fronts and for the Coen brothers, they knew what they were doing as Ray is a true son of the south from Georgia.

Back to a song also appropriate for the late self proclaimed old man Donkey, but also a really really good backstory to the man who was best known for singing it.

Read up on Paul Robeson, who was not a southerner by birth and his interesting life story. Rutgers, Columbia Law, an avowed antifascist, a target by the Germans during his time in Great Britain, and an activist. An imperfect man for imperfect times, just the type of person seekers of knowledge should learn more about during time spent in thoughtful reflection.

Here is a short wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Robeson 

 

Wow, that guy was a mensch and that's a great song

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I actually can't see anything now (visibility turned off), so maybe it was another elfenix-looking name. If so, apologies for any libel/slander against your good name.

i'm not the mass negging type.  you definitely have me confused for someone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I always appreciated your point of view and I find your feedback here very fair-- I know I'm a bit (maybe a lot bit) backwards in a lot of ways and I was definitely not shy about those positions.

Obviously my opinions were in the minority for this community. Even the extreme minority, I would say. You might ask yourself, "why would someone who disagrees with 98% of the community in the CR actually want to engage and stick around and comment and discuss?"

Well, firstly representation matters (and speaking of representation, it is relative. Despite being a slight majority in the state of Texas, a lot of my opinions were extreme minority on this website and if we really hold true that minority representation matters, to all minority vs majority dynamics, this alone is a valid reason to stick around).

But more importantly and the lion share of the reasoning is that I enjoyed the discussions and conversations with a lot of people I vehemently disagreed with. I haven't been shy in saying that a guy I initially couldn't stand, @bad_teammate, became probably my favorite poster on this entire website. Something about a consistent, fervent point of view held with the integrity that didn't care for fair-weather fans and rep wore me down, I guess. Probably helped he is hilarious, but I learned a lot from that guy and softened in a lot of ways from the consistent challenges. Dozens of others who are obviously super intelligent I appreciated, even as they did not like me:

@Mole, @wildcat09, @F250, @BrickHorn, @longhornmatt@jimmyjazz@bad_teammate@Mrs Whiggins@Ghost of LL@mchookem@Celery Man@TwiceHorn: You guys are all "appointment TV" in that when you weigh in, whether in parody/jest or with serious intent, we all stop (at least, I did) and read what you have to say because your intelligence served you to be able to ingest, synthesize and respond in meaningful ways that grew or was value-add to the discussions. Even @Js1 who I could not stand, and didn't want to ever respect, well...I grew to respect his mind and takes on all topics. I'm reminded of the Aristotle quote, "The mark of an intelligent mind is to be able to entertain an idea without having to accept it".

But yes, to your point: I also was not always as...diplomatic, let's call it... to a subset of folks who I disagreed with that I felt to be inferior and were limited in their capabilities and aptitude by virtue of not being able to control their emotions and impulses and either were one-hit wonders or zealots without critical thinking skills (which is irony, because they are that which they most hate). Looking back, my disdain for this people does feel a bit narcissistic and ego-driven-- we should love everyone and meet them (the whole person) where they are at. It's okay to not be okay, etc.

And then there was the posse that got me. Hats off to you guys; @DDD Dad @elfenix@Bullneck@cactusflinthead@Beau Vine @JimmyJames and a couple of your socks (usernames that would only neg, usually right after you, but never post). Good organization and execution. You not only showed me, but I think it's an example to all, that a few minor and sensitive posters can band together and eject a consistently dissenting voice (and probably one that, to you all, was often dismissive and rude due to a lack of respect, so I completely get it and empathize with you--I'd probably be tempted to do the same). 

I really want to own this, though. I don't know if it's because I'm super coachable or because I feel like this helps to continue to own my own narrative-- to continue having agency on my own terms-- but I am serious when I say that this handle, DonkeyCigars, is not going anywhere and there will be no re-incarnation. When I post it will be here. I want to be like Martha Stewart and keep it ten does down and eat this prison sentence like the true baddie that I am: for I am a young cowboy, and I know I've done wrong.

Obsession noted.

FWIW I have only negged you in response to a neg from you.  I'll freely admit that I went on a spree to get the kill shot but solely because I saw that others had brought you to the brink.  

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Fuck You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If you’re gonna post a “woah is me look at me” post it should at least make sense don’t you think? 

Sorry it was a joke/reference to a Will Ferrell song where he is saying "I don't know" a bunch of times in Spanish. Basically I'm answering you saying "I don't know because I'm not smart with the policies/admin rules".

 

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Sorry it was a joke/reference to a Will Ferrell song where he is saying "I don't know" a bunch of times in Spanish. Basically I'm answering you saying "I don't know because I'm not smart with the policies/admin rules".

 

Well my understanding of the rules is you are no longer in purgatory and are free to post your many sincere questions again.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Well my understanding of the rules is you are no longer in purgatory and are free to post your many sincere questions again.

Huh. I interpreted it as one had to idle here until a zero balance was achieved and then it was go and sin no more. Hence the possibility to either earn grace and favor or be drummed out of the forum completely.

If it were not possible for users to create sock accounts, it's actually a decent plan. Some people are so driven by the need, they cannot stay away, but it allows for the ability for a user to perhaps find a different community elsewhere or reform enough to participate once more. Or in the worst cases, find some mental health resources.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chrispy was more mean spirited than DonkeyCigars. I think I negged you a few times before I kinda understood your thing, and of course I disagree with you about a whole lot and was often exasperated at how you seem to... somehow intelligently miss the entire point? I dunno, I'm not trying to come at your opinions or attack them here or whatever, just to describe that I kinda get why people think you're a troll but I do not think that you are. I can't think of another instance where someone got neg bombed to death and didn't completely ask for it, but I don't think it was warranted in this case. So have a pos rep.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I give Donkey all the credit for coming back and "taking his lumps," to include coming back here.

Something that happens a bit too frequently here is that a poster "gets a rep" (that part is fine), and then gets accused of writing something s/he didn't fairly write, but that would be consistent with that rep.  Some of that is the limitation of written communication, some of that is the internet-shortened attention span where an avatar or a username often substitutes for actual content, or provides a connotation that may not be fair.

Regardless, rather than drive-by and disappear, which a lot of troll-types do, Donkey would come back and engage, sometimes narrowing the argument, which is an easy way to get branded a troll around these parts.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Chrispy was more mean spirited than DonkeyCigars. I think I negged you a few times before I kinda understood your thing, and of course I disagree with you about a whole lot and was often exasperated at how you seem to... somehow intelligently miss the entire point? I dunno, I'm not trying to come at your opinions or attack them here or whatever, just to describe that I kinda get why people think you're a troll but I do not think that you are. I can't think of another instance where someone got neg bombed to death and didn't completely ask for it, but I don't think it was warranted in this case. So have a pos rep.

🤠

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Huh. I interpreted it as one had to idle here until a zero balance was achieved and then it was go and sin no more. Hence the possibility to either earn grace and favor or be drummed out of the forum completely.

If it were not possible for users to create sock accounts, it's actually a decent plan. Some people are so driven by the need, they cannot stay away, but it allows for the ability for a user to perhaps find a different community elsewhere or reform enough to participate once more. Or in the worst cases, find some mental health resources.

 

Actually after looking at it I think you’re right. 
 

Even though I’m pretty sure he’s a troll and even though I have been falsely accused by him of crowdbanning him, he is somewhat of an amusing troll with a unique approach to his trolling. I might give him some rep to get out. Have to think about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Chrispy was more mean spirited than DonkeyCigars. I think I negged you a few times before I kinda understood your thing, and of course I disagree with you about a whole lot and was often exasperated at how you seem to... somehow intelligently miss the entire point? I dunno, I'm not trying to come at your opinions or attack them here or whatever, just to describe that I kinda get why people think you're a troll but I do not think that you are. I can't think of another instance where someone got neg bombed to death and didn't completely ask for it, but I don't think it was warranted in this case. So have a pos rep.

Yeah, never bought the Chrispy sock thing.

I'm vaguely sympathetic to Donkey as a recovering GOP voter.  I had become increasingly uncomfortable with a whole lot of things the GOP had been doing for years, particularly on the social end of things.  The Obamacare repeal votes, with no replacement, and then the open bigotry and wholesale fellation of Trump absolutely tore it for me. And, weirdly I guess, I not only could not support GOP candidates or the party, but I became ultra-sympathetic and receptive to progressive causes and propositions (the reality is that I always had been, but troubled by the "at what cost" aspect of it all, and still am).  Part of that is the realization that no one is going to be fiscally responsible, so we might as well go on a drunken spending spree on the people for once.

Donkey's not there yet, but I think he's receptive, if a bit stubborn.

 

Edited by TwiceHorn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

well, that's too bad. i for one did not find your schtick overly offensive and sometimes even appreciated your viewpoint, but there are definitely posters with greater fire in their belly that you frequently enraged. guess you FAFO finally.  

for the record, you are the reason i have suggested a rep-neutral eyeroll🙄 reaction. i don't think i ever found you worthy of an actual neg but your Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer schtick could often make my eyes roll out of my head lol.

image.png.259975ab80975a3483322d814de4b1d2.png

This! Hadn’t thought of that but the dude is definitely the unfrozen caveman lawyer. Bravo.

Edited by JimmyJames
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The eye roll comment is spot on but Donkey is a solid poster outside of the CR. Or maybe inside the CR too - wouldn't know. 

Sounds like you FAAFO by not throwing the towel in over there. 

I really enjoy your posts and style I forgot to say; you do a good job of owning a unique point of view which skews a bit off the beaten path, at least slightly, and respectfully sharing without offending folks or ruffling feathers. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

isn't that like 90% of the people here?

Anybody have any ideas or any party games? Any firebrand thread ideas to wile away the time, you want to start?

Two truths and a lie?

Any interesting wagers? I'm willing to bet a political vote for a progressive candidate of your choice if you can win?

 

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, never bought the Chrispy sock thing.

I'm vaguely sympathetic to Donkey as a recovering GOP voter.  I had become increasingly uncomfortable with a whole lot of things the GOP had been doing for years, particularly on the social end of things.  The Obamacare repeal votes, with no replacement, and then the open bigotry and wholesale fellation of Trump absolutely tore it for me. And, weirdly I guess, I not only could not support GOP candidates or the party, but I became ultra-sympathetic and receptive to progressive causes and propositions (the reality is that I always had been, but troubled by the "at what cost" aspect of it all, and still am).  Part of that is the realization that no one is going to be fiscally responsible, so we might as well go on a drunken spending spree on the people for once.

Donkey's not there yet, but I think he's receptive, if a bit stubborn.

 

I appreciate the sentiment here and, unless you are prescient and wise beyond measure, I'm not sure I agree with your police work here, Lou.

My problems, as it were, are not skin deep; my beliefs are in the marrow and, God willing, will be interred in my bones.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I appreciate the sentiment here and, unless you are prescient and wise beyond measure, I'm not sure I agree with your police work here, Lou.

My problems, as it were, are not skin deep; my beliefs are in the marrow and, God willing, will be interred in my bones.

Your problem seems to me to be that you are unable to break through the cognitive dissonance of having deeply held beliefs that are entirely inconsistent with your political views. We go around the merry go round, your breaker flips, and we’re back to square one.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Your problem seems to me to be that you are unable to break through the cognitive dissonance of having deeply held beliefs that are entirely inconsistent with your political views. We go around the merry go round, your breaker flips, and we’re back to square one.

So maybe the cognitive dissonance is muscle is too developed; too strong. I don't know. I have a lot of very deep existential insecurities, so maybe that subconsciously drives me. 

Anyways, I've got nothing better to do so why don't you humor me in conversation? Like visiting an old grandpa.

How are you? How is Raleigh? How is Raleigh different and living there different from what you thought it was going to be like before you got there, both good and bad?

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

looking through your posts i think it was felix you have me confused with.

Yep that sounds like it. I'm truly sincerely sorry for dragging your name into this garbage situation, I'm sure you have better things to do and you aren't a butt-hurt weirdo-- apologies elfenix. I'll eat a Cheese Enchilada special in your honor.

  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Hi Nivek, how's the family? Thanks for stopping by, I've always appreciated your friendship. Thanks for the support. There's food in the other room.

No drinks? and for that reason.. I'm out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, DonkeyCigars said:

Obviously my opinions were in the minority for this community. Even the extreme minority, I would say. You might ask yourself, "why would someone who disagrees with 98% of the community in the CR actually want to engage and stick around and comment and discuss?"

 

Unfortunately, this is the cause, and why the rest of us avoid the CR like the plague. This board is OVERWHELMINGLY one-sided, there was an old poll back in the previous board that could've told ya that. You were setting yourself up for failure from the get-go by ever engaging in there. Best of luck. Hook 'em. And Fair Winds and following seas!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 9:34 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Probably is, in keeping with how past incarnations of Cloak Room have proceeded.  A majority, anyway.

This is known, but widely disregarded.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:39 PM, DDD Dad said:


Guilty

There's one side

9 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Unfortunately, this is the cause, and why the rest of us avoid the CR like the plague. This board is OVERWHELMINGLY one-sided, there was an old poll back in the previous board that could've told ya that. You were setting yourself up for failure from the get-go by ever engaging in there. Best of luck. Hook 'em. And Fair Winds and following seas!

And the other

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

if the previous board was one sided it was one sided the other way.

And there ya go. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...